Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It BETTER be good. By the time we see it, it will have been "out" for over a freaking year!
    It played at Sundance, and DirecTV acquired the rights to it.
    So surely i could get a sundance screener, right? Or maybe some kind of on demand thing with DirectTV! (no and no)
    Then it played at the Karlovy Vary. Then it played at Melbourne. Then it played at Toronto. SURELY there would be a screener since it played at 4 of the biggest film festivals IN THE WORLD right? (No, no, no!!!!)
    So it's a situation where all the cool people have seen it, and you can read endless reviews about it, but they aren't going to let US see it till fucking February.

This is the same thing that happened with Unfriended and It Follows.
    I sure hope this is a great flick, because i've looked for a copy on the (cough cough ahem) sites EVERY WEEK SINCE JANUARY!
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but more a long the line- its beeen year!WTF

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I thought Krampus was really good. I agree it's not quite as good as Trick 'r Treat but still pretty awesome. Mike Dougherty is becoming the king of the holidays.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    You may find some new titles in this nice article.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/editori...ms-on-netflix/

There's a few I haven't seen that I've added to my watchlist. Will let you know how good they are in due time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Finally got around to seeing Goodnight Mommy. I'd say it probably isn't a horror movie, more of a suspense mystery with some body horror elements tossed in for the last twenty minutes. I did really, REALLY, like it, though. The acting is pretty good, even from the child actors, and it's filmed beautifully. Austria looks gorgeous, so I really need to get over there at some point.

Mild spoilers - Spoiler: Guessed the twist almost immediately and got confirmation at least halfway through. It was handled well, to give the writers some credit.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Finally got around to seeing Goodnight Mommy. I'd say it probably isn't a horror movie, more of a suspense mystery with some body horror elements tossed in for the last twenty minutes. I did really, REALLY, like it, though. The acting is pretty good, even from the child actors, and it's filmed beautifully. Austria looks gorgeous, so I really need to get over there at some point.

Mild spoilers - Spoiler: Guessed the twist almost immediately and got confirmation at least halfway through. It was handled well, to give the writers some credit.
    i liked it, too. i was really impressed with the twins' performances. and you're right -- absolute ace cinematography.

i'm lucky if there's *one* genuinely excellent horror movie released each year. 2015 had three (along with it follows and the babadook. i realize at least one was officially released in 2014, but they were all new to me this year).

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Rob Zombie is apparently struggling to obtain an R rating for his upcoming movie 31. According to him, MPAA has seen two cuts and refuses to change their NC-17 rating.

http://www.theprp.com/2015/12/23/new...orror-film-31/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've never understood the American obsession with avoiding the NC-17 rating. Oh no, annoying teenagers can't see our movie, how awful.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've never understood the American obsession with avoiding the NC-17 rating. Oh no, annoying teenagers can't see our movie, how awful.
    Because "it'll damage their fragile minds!"

The fact it has that rating proves to me it'll be an awesome movie come release.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It's more to do with box office rather than the film itself. The reason NC-17 is so bad to the industry is because of Showgirls. Because that film flopped, the NC-17 rating is synonymous with box office poison which I think is bullshit.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    It limits the times when it can be advertised (I think on TV/radio they can run ads only after 9-10PM, but don't quote me on the time), also it's much harder to have cinemas show it. Movie screens are high value real estate, and theater chains don't like to take the risk of a movie that most of the moviegoing audience is not allowed to see.

So it doesn't really have anything to do with a stigma over Showgirls, it's limiting the market for the movie in a very practical way.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I finally got around to seeing Krampus today. The movie was a huge letdown to me, krampus had these weird creatures such as laughing gingerbread man- that literally sound exactly the same as gremlins laughing, a clown that slithers around on the ground but can also travel under the ground like bugs bunny , a killer teddy bear, flying little robot with knives, and weird elves- all these creatures laughed and totally took away from the creepiness factor. The acting was very good but the movie could've been so much better, the first 30 minutes were very good and creepy and then all of a sudden a gingerbread man comes laughing down the chimney and then the movie went to shit by unleashing these terrible creatures. 4/10. Not even worth seeing, skip it

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If anything, that review makes me want to see Krampus even more.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    If anything, that review makes me want to see Krampus even more.
    Ahahaha yeah, if anything that sounded more like an Evil Dead 2 review going "it was very scary and gory, then suddenly laughing lamps and deer heads, get your shit together seriously..."

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Ahahaha yeah, if anything that sounded more like an Evil Dead 2 review going "it was very scary and gory, then suddenly laughing lamps and deer heads, get your shit together seriously..."
    Meh, it felt like a kids movie, not anything near evil dead 2. I can see how you would think so from my review. The movie felt like it's balls were cut off and made into a child's Christmas movie. Also why did Mike Dougherty make it pg13, did the studio's make him do that ?
    Last edited by Rdm; 12-29-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I saw Pod over the weekend. If it wasn't for the constant bickering and yelling between the family members, it would have been a decent little movie.
    The ending was kinda lame too.
    It only lasts 80 minutes. That's that I guess.
    5/10

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched Sinister 2 yesterday. Not as great as the first one but good nonetheless.
    Also saw The Visit. I was entertained. Grandma was the best part.
    Both deserving 7/10.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Sorry for the triple posts ...
    Rob Zombie finally got his R rating. He also announced an uncensored version for home release.

In other news, we now have the first teaser trailer for The Conjuring 2.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

i liked the movie too. i saw it a few days ago and it has stuck with me.
    Another decent flick is Jug Face, if you guys haven't got around to watching it.
    It's not exactly scary, but it's a thriller set in a VERY bizarre world, and the director makes the world feel real.

So is there anything else good?
    I am afraid i've seen all the good horror movies.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-11-2016 at 04:51 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Forest is mediocre. Natalie Dormer gives a very good performance and it's to her credit that this movie doesn't suck as much as it could have. The first fifteen minutes are brisk in setting up her missing sister, her journey to Mount Fuji, and introducing the secondary characters, but once they actually venture into Aokigahara things really don't go anywhere exciting or interesting. The last half of this movie drags through a dull conflict between both main characters, and ends so abruptly with hardly any resolution that you feel cheated out of the ninety minutes you spent watching this thing. The film isn't the shitfest it could have been (it's a PG-13 horror movie released in January after all) but it by no means lives up to any potential a film set in a place like the Sea of Trees could have had. Another problem with The Forest is that it does very little in the way of creating a bleak atmosphere radiating dread, which something like Aokigahara should exude, and instead relies far too heavily on jump scares to grab the audience's attention, most of which don't even work half the time because you see the jolt coming a mile away.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    maybe it's been mentioned here before, but i just watched creep on netflix. one of the better found footage horror flicks i've seen.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The Witch is coming to theaters in America on February 19 ! YAY

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    ghostbusters was on tv last night and it got me thinking.

that movie scared the shit out of me when i was a kid. with the zuul stuff and the fridge and the chair and the statues and the demon driving the taxi.

parts of gremlins did the same thing.

both of them should have been pg-13, but that rating wasn't used until i was six or so.

can you believe the texas chainsaw massacre was juggled between pg and rated x?

talk about a huge margin of error.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Ok so i watched that "don't blink" that was on the netflix list that @Deepvoid posted awhile back.

it has some bad acting and some goofy dialogue and moments, but ultimately, it proved to be pretty fucking unsettling.
    when the third act rolled around, suddenly the mrs and i weren't pointing out flaws-we were pretty damn tense, and desperately trying to unravel the mystery.
    When it was all said and done, i was happy i stuck with this one, and i would recommend it to you guys.
    The concept and story are fucking awesome, and with a better director and screenwriter, this thing could have been phenomenal. It does wind up being at least pretty good.

It's one of those things that would have probably worked better as a twilight zone episode. About 1/2 way through, i realized this and decided to think of it as such, and it helped.

God help us supernatural horror fans. I'm starting to feel like i've seen ALL of the really good ones, and here i am excited about one that at least isn't AWFUL. Hopefully The Witch and The Conjuring 2 are successful enough to jumpstart another wave of supernatural horror, like the era of PA, Insidious, The Conjuring, Sinister, and the slew of indies like Canal, Honeymoon, and Exists that were banking on making a little money because of those bigger, more successful flicks.

If you guys have seen ANY good supernatural horror lately that i may have missed ( @Deepvoid ? ) please to lay it on me! This drought is making me crazy.
    @c0f3d , Ghostbusters 2 scared the shit out of me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Ghostbusters is scarier than The Exorcist, IDGAF.

I'm on a gialli kick as of late. Finally saw A Blade in the Dark last night and I'm probably watching Don't Torture A Duckling later - if I don't pass out from exhaustion first. Oh, those Italians and their high camp!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Ghostbusters is scarier than The Exorcist, IDGAF.

I'm on a gialli kick as of late. Finally saw A Blade in the Dark last night and I'm probably watching Don't Torture A Duckling later - if I don't pass out from exhaustion first. Oh, those Italians and their high camp!
    Have you seen Berberian Sound Studio? It's a must see in general, especially if you are a Giallo fan, plus Broadcast does the soundtrack.

I haven't seen much giallo myself. Are the movies you mentioned overly gory?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ok so i watched that "don't blink" that was on the netflix list that @Deepvoid posted awhile back.

it has some bad acting and some goofy dialogue and moments, but ultimately, it proved to be pretty fucking unsettling.
    when the third act rolled around, suddenly the mrs and i weren't pointing out flaws-we were pretty damn tense, and desperately trying to unravel the mystery.
    When it was all said and done, i was happy i stuck with this one, and i would recommend it to you guys.
    The concept and story are fucking awesome, and with a better director and screenwriter, this thing could have been phenomenal. It does wind up being at least pretty good.

It's one of those things that would have probably worked better as a twilight zone episode. About 1/2 way through, i realized this and decided to think of it as such, and it helped.

God help us supernatural horror fans. I'm starting to feel like i've seen ALL of the really good ones, and here i am excited about one that at least isn't AWFUL. Hopefully The Witch and The Conjuring 2 are successful enough to jumpstart another wave of supernatural horror, like the era of PA, Insidious, The Conjuring, Sinister, and the slew of indies like Canal, Honeymoon, and Exists that were banking on making a little money because of those bigger, more successful flicks.

If you guys have seen ANY good supernatural horror lately that i may have missed ( @Deepvoid ? ) please to lay it on me! This drought is making me crazy.
    @c0f3d , Ghostbusters 2 scared the shit out of me.
    I also caught Don't Blink last weekend as well. I kinda liked it. Not awesome but definitely an interesting concept.
    Have you seen "Coherence" It's more Sci-Fi than horror but it's pretty awesome. You should definitely check it out.

Another recent unknown title I saw was "Exeter". Definitely worth the watch. A worthy 6/10. It's a supernatural-demon-related movie.
    Also had the chance to watch Come Back To Me. It's forgettable. I guess if you really have nothing to watch you could for it. Gave it 5/10.
    And finally another 5/10 for "Extinction" featuring Jack from Lost. Post-zombie invasion setting. More of drama-horror.

That's pretty much it. I'll let you know if I stumble across new titles.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Thank you @Deepvoid . Exeter it is.

Also. i saw Coherence awhile back, and while i loved the concept, it didn't QUITE work for me.
    If i had a few pieces of that blotter paper we used to eat, i think i would have liked it better.

Has anyone seen The Veil yet? Or Contracted 2? They are both out on netfling.

Contracted 1 was great BTW.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-22-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    does anyone wanna get down with me on plex? i have a nice horror library

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    31 was released to Sundance. Great reviews makes me excited! Cannot wait to watch this!

9.6/10 on IMDB too!!