Page 35 of 76 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 2264

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm thinking of watching Session 9 and Raising Cain. Can anyone comment on these flicks?
    Session 9 is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. In a land of shitty "paranormal" movies, this one is definitely above average. It's no Conjuring but it's effective and does a good job creating some tension. @elevenism you've seen this one right? It's right in your alley. How did you like it?

I haven't seen Raising Cain so I can't help you with this one.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Third installment in this franchise. Looks alright. Not sure if it's worthy of watching in theaters but will definitely catch it on home video.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Saw this earlier....two things:

1. Holy shit it gives away a lot. Do they really need to show that much, especially the Spoiler: plane sequence which would've been an awesome thing to be happily surprised by? Fuck these people.
    2. It's basically 90% the same movie as the original Ring. Fuck these people lol.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Saw this earlier....two things:

1. Holy shit it gives away a lot. Do they really need to show that much, especially the Spoiler: plane sequence which would've been an awesome thing to be happily surprised by? Fuck these people.
    2. It's basically 90% the same movie as the original Ring. Fuck these people lol.
    I thought the same thing when they started counting down the days in the trailer. Why are they showing us the whole goddamn movie.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm thinking of watching Session 9 and Raising Cain. Can anyone comment on these flicks?
    I haven't seen Session 9 but I have seen Raising Cain which I actually like. It's kind of over-the-top and very stylized but that is often expected with Brian de Palma as it play into the ideas of identity and obsession. I just like the film a lot as it's just nuts.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Cool. I love John Lithgow as an actor too.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    TBH, @Deepvoid , i hated it, session 9! i thought it was awful!
    this is a rare divergence of taste for us, i know.
    @Ryan you might like it.
    a lot of people LOVE it.
    @marodi loves it.

i just thought it was poorly put together, i didn't catch the theme, and it didn't scare me.

i knoe i'm in the minority on this, but such is the subjective nature of art.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Late to the game, but I finally watched Deathgasm and loved every second of it! As both a horror movie and heavy metal fan, I'm already looking forward to revisiting this one again soon.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid and everybody, The Conjuring 2 dvd rip leaked to those sites we would never visit last nite

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @Deepvoid and everybody, The Conjuring 2 dvd rip leaked to those sites we would never visit last nite
    Went to see my parents on Friday and I made them watch it. They had seen the first. It scared the crap out of my mom.
    I absolutely loved it. Actually thought it was better than the first one.
    Looks like we have a winner with this franchise. What's cool about it is that the they have so much case file they can chose from.

I've read that Wan is interested in tackling the The Werewolf of Southend, which would be the worst case to adapt imo.
    I'd love for Wan to revisit A Haunting In Connecticut. The Smurl haunting is also one of their most famous case that could make an interesting movie.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    Saw the conjuring 2,in a Dbox theater, yesterday and I wasn't blown away, kind of getting bored of James Wan's style.
    Just saw it, and although I liked it, I'm definitely in the same boat and getting tired of the Wan Formula. I actually got confused for a moment, convinced that I already had seen it before, until I realized I was thinking about Insidious.
    I don't even get why all the films he's done should have their own franchise. Family in distress, creepy shadows and violent manifestations, ugly demonic spirit, family happy ever after, OR IS IT ?
    As I said, I liked it. But I already liked it before, and the time before that. Overworked, textured to hell scenery, spirits out of a 90ies music video, same family dynamics. There are a lot of qualities, some great shots, good ideas, and no surprises.
    Stephen King once said of himself that he was the McDonald's of horror, and I agreed for a while, but I think it's actually James Wan now.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Just saw it, and although I liked it, I'm definitely in the same boat and getting tired of the Wan Formula. I actually got confused for a moment, convinced that I already had seen it before, until I realized I was thinking about Insidious.
    I don't even get why all the films he's done should have their own franchise. Family in distress, creepy shadows and violent manifestations, ugly demonic spirit, family happy ever after, OR IS IT ?
    As I said, I liked it. But I already liked it before, and the time before that. Overworked, textured to hell scenery, spirits out of a 90ies music video, same family dynamics. There are a lot of qualities, some great shots, good ideas, and no surprises.
    Stephen King once said of himself that he was the McDonald's of horror, and I agreed for a while, but I think it's actually James Wan now.
    Why fix it when it's not broken?
    The reviews for both the Insidious and Conjuring franchises have been very good.
    It does follow the same formula but people seem to love it. I know I do.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Why fix it when it's not broken?
    The reviews for both the Insidious and Conjuring franchises have been very good.
    It does follow the same formula but people seem to love it. I know I do.
    Well there are limits to that cliché, and it really depends on what you expect from a movie. Some people like an artist when they do the same thing again and again, others prefer to see them sink their teeth into new, challenging things, at the risk of failing.

I really, really couldn't care less about the reviews. I spoke from an utterly subjective place, voiced an opinion that is entirely mine. I'm not criticizing the people who enjoy Wan's movies, I'm not looking down on them either. To each their own, that's what makes art so rich.
    I even said I liked the movie. It's pretty much the Star Wars of horror films : a familiar universe with a very tight photography style, the bad guys come from a predictable place and the good guys act like they should. Nothing revolutionary, but it's very well made and fun to watch.

That doesn't change the fact that I have already seen that movie at least three times now, with a different title.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Well there are limits to that cliché, and it really depends on what you expect from a movie. Some people like an artist when they do the same thing again and again, others prefer to see them sink their teeth into new, challenging things, at the risk of failing.

I really, really couldn't care less about the reviews. I spoke from an utterly subjective place, voiced an opinion that is entirely mine. I'm not criticizing the people who enjoy Wan's movies, I'm not looking down on them either. To each their own, that's what makes art so rich.
    I even said I liked the movie. It's pretty much the Star Wars of horror films : a familiar universe with a very tight photography style, the bad guys come from a predictable place and the good guys act like they should. Nothing revolutionary, but it's very well made and fun to watch.

That doesn't change the fact that I have already seen that movie at least three times now, with a different title.
    I hear you. While he could have mixed it up a bit with Insidious, there's really not much room for creativity when dealing with The Conjuring franchise. He's basically retelling case studies from the Warrens.
    He would get criticized a lot more if he was taking true stories and not sticking with what was documented and reported. Of course, he adds a personal touch here and there but mostly, what we saw is what allegedly happened.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    That's not quite how I feel about it. Again, it's purely me : maybe I'm just looking for something in the wrong place, maybe I'm just blind to the subtleties everyone's catching.

I feel about Wan like I feel about Palahniuk or Mignola. They have their formula down, and I like what they're doing. Nonetheless I feel like they have an idea for a story, put it on the conveyor belt straight through the Palahniuk/Mignola/Wan factory which processes it accordingly to the charter, and delivers a nicely packaged product on the other end.

I do enjoy the product, it's nice and fun, but it never feels hand-crafted, and never shows a side of their talent they hadn't shown before. They know what they're doing and they're great at it, they just never put themselves in danger, and never try their strengths against new challenges.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Khrz , the thing is that @Deepvoid and i ADORE supernatural horror movies and adore the scares that wan produces. I don't think you're missing any nuances, i really don't. I think it's more of a case of "this is precisely what we want and Wan has just given us more of it."

I can understand how the formulaic structuring of these films could become tiring to some.
    But as for me, i would watch a fucking PLOTLESS movie with absolutely no character development, as long as it had unsettling shit happening throughout. For me it's the same reason i watch "creepy" youtube videos: i want those chills!
    The plot is just the icing on the cake to a certain degree. This goes back to what i said some time ago about not giving a fuck how "good" a horror movie was and only caring about how "scary" it was. I have since redacted that statement, as i have seen some incredibly clever, atmospheric, well made flicks (like The VVitch,) but it still stands in regard to a certain type of movie that people like @Deepvoid and i are constantly searching for. Wan is the master of creating the type of scary scenes i want to see. People facepalm jumpscares, but for me, i fucking LOVE them. And Wan's are the best.

I fell asleep last night during TC2, so i haven't seen the last like 45 minutes of it, but so far i DO have one small problem with it: it follows the Enfield case TOO well, and i've seen lots of documentaries about it. So when, for instance, bill is speaking through the girl, it's expected and sounds a WHOLE hell of a lot like the tape that was presented as evidence in the case, so, no creepiness for me.

The Conjuring is the holy fucking grail of modern supernatural horror as far as how it affects me personally, and it's followed closely by insidious. With the second installment, i feel like we've got a SUPERB supernatural horror flick, but it doesn't quite have a seat in the same ballpark as the OG.
    That being said, i've still got 45 or 50 minutes to watch.

Perhaps this illustrates why i love these movies so goddamn much. I would gladly pay to watch 2 hours of loosely connected or even just straight up nonsequitous clips like the one below. I'm really fucking easy to please when it comes to these types of films and it is maddening that the good ones are so few and far between

Also, regarding SK being the McDonalds of horror: i have read every single one of his books. Go figure :P
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-29-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I know a lot of people are hating on Rob Zombie but I gotta admit I like what he has done as a director.
    Here's the 2nd trailer for 31.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Also, regarding SK being the McDonalds of horror: i have read every single one of his books. Go figure :P
    Well it's a rather old statement, and if I'm being honest I don't think he was talking about quality but about ubiquity. But we know that's one of those point where we'll never reconcile, to you he's the equivalent of Twain and Dickens, while to me holy shit fuck no

I don't know, I guess I'm more interested in the mythology of things. Too often it's same old same old and nothing intriguing. There was a glimpse of something in Insidious, but it quickly backpedaled into familiar territory. It's either ghost or demon and once labelled it's on rails. Even when a movie pretends to explore exotic mythologies it immediately fall back into judeo-christian Manicheism. Demons are evil because demons, ghosts go into the light, pray God and fix everything.

There's no mystery, everything has a name, everything has an agenda. I might actually prefer artsy failed horror movies who don't really know where they're going but still run with the ball, because at least there's a genuine "WTF was that ?" in there. Lords of Salem was deeply flawed, but at least it felt rich.
    Japanese horror movies work wonders to me because their animistic mythologies are just so fucking novel. I guess that for our Japanese fellows they're actually pretty mild compared to the fucked up spirits they're familiar with, but to me their spirits are just fucking alien in their behavior and attitude. The Evil Dead demons were just chaos, random, craving the flesh just for the sheer pleasure of fucking shit up.

Coming back around to King, that's what I liked in his first novels and novellas. There was no reason for the shit that happened, at least none that a quick and convenient google search would dig up, there was no easy way out, no "let's reconcile with our inner child" card trick. Sometimes you go right instead of left, and then you die. More often than not there's no divine justice at the source of the problem or the solution. You just end up at the wrong place at the wrong time, and something very fucked up was waiting there all along, and you'll never know why it was there, or even what the fuck it really was.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    31 is gonna be great.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Figured I'd mention that an ARG for the new Blair Witch movie is happening
    and this footage has been released through it. I'm guessing this might be a scene from the movie?
    edit: Apparently it isn't. This is suppose to be new footage of Heather, which is what inspires her brother to go looking for her.

Last edited by Frozen Beach; 09-02-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Wow, I didn't know about these Blair Witch tv specials

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I guess this goes in the horror thread. I absolutely love this franchise. The second one being one my favorite "vampire/werewolf" movie.
    Definitely welcome this new chapter.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    There's a bunk Lights Out "BluRay" print making the rounds.
    Not only does it not contain the film, it's spyware or a virus or something like that.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Because this is directed by Mike Flanagan, I'll definitely give this a shot.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Because this is directed by Mike Flanagan, I'll definitely give this a shot.

Oh well fuck yeah i'll watch it. Quite naturally.
    Oculus was the shit

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    wasn't there a flanagan in the HIS video?

oh yeah, that was Bob Flanagan. I tried to watch a documentary about him and i could not hang lol.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid @elevenism

You gents are aware that Ouija: Origin of Evil is a prequel to Ouija, right? Just checking.

I have to say that it looks so much better than the first one!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    This is suppose to be new footage of Heather, which is what inspires her brother to go looking for her.
    Seriously? That's a male's hand at 19-21 seconds...

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    @Deepvoid @elevenism

You gents are aware that Ouija: Origin of Evil is a prequel to Ouija, right? Just checking.

I have to say that it looks so much better than the first one!
    Yeah the first one was shit. I trust Flanagan is gonna do a good job with this one.