Page 16 of 76 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Manhunter, @henryeatscereal ?

i'm gonna check it out.

SO i wanted to tell you guys about something i found awhile ago but haven't mentioned here.
    In the seventies and early eighties ( i THINK that's the time frame,) horror movie trailers were constantly trying to outdo each other.
    It got to the point where the trailers told you not to watch it if you have a heart condition, shit like that. And the previews aren't subtle. They showed the ruffest parts of the movie. It seems like gore was the name of the game.
    Now that i think about it, i DID mention this in the netflix thread.

There are a couple of programs on netflix that show nothing but these trailers. They are fucking must see tee vee for horror fans.
    Aaaaannnnnnnd i'm scrolling through every fucking horror movie on netflix to try and remember the names of the flicks.

As i;m looking, i have a few recommendations. i also spent about five full minutes trying to spell recommendations. I ate too much opiums and javen't slept.

Ok, on netflix, Absesntia was pretty damn good.
    So was The Taking of Deborah Logan.
    Here Comes the Devil was fucking AWESOME. I can't stress that enough. (And it's straight outta mexico, which is cool, porque puedo practicar mi espanol...escuchando sin leyendo los subtitulos cuando puedo.)
    Dumplings is must see horror from china. It;s a longer version of the story on Three Extremes.

Ok, fuck yeah, i found one. It's called Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell and it's fucking great to watch.

Also check out The Returned, Torment, and An American Haunting.

I spent a LONG ass time digging to find all this. I got love for ETS.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-11-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Yeah, way before they filmed "Red Dragon" (part of the Silence of the Lambs saga), there was "Manhunter", the movie is a bit low budget but it's great; William Petersen does a great job as Will Graham and even Brian Cox does an interesting Hannibal (not as memorable as Anthony Hopkins yet he does a great job).
    The movie is a bit more "police-work" oriented than "Red Dragon" (that focuses more on the relationship issues of "Tooth Fairy").
    Check it out!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-11-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

i'm gonna check it out.

SO i wanted to tell you guys about something i found awhile ago but haven't mentioned here.
    In the seventies and early eighties ( i THINK that's the time frame,) horror movie trailers were constantly trying to outdo each other.
    It got to the point where the trailers told you not to watch it if you have a heart condition, shit like that. And the previews aren't subtle. They showed the ruffest parts of the movie. It seems like gore was the name of the game.
    Now that i think about it, i DID mention this in the netflix thread.

There are a couple of programs on netflix that show nothing but these trailers. They are fucking must see tee vee for horror fans.
    Aaaaannnnnnnd i'm scrolling through every fucking horror movie on netflix to try and remember the names of the flicks.

As i;m looking, i have a few recommendations. i also spent about five full minutes trying to spell recommendations. I ate too much opiums and javen't slept.

Ok, on netflix, Absesntia was pretty damn good.
    So was The Taking of Deborah Logan.
    Here Comes the Devil was fucking AWESOME. I can't stress that enough. (And it's straight outta mexico, which is cool, porque puedo practicar mi espanol...escuchando sin leyendo los subtitulos cuando puedo.)
    Dumplings is must see horror from china. It;s a longer version of the story on Three Extremes.

Ok, fuck yeah, i found one. It's called Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell and it's fucking great to watch.

Also check out The Returned, Torment, and An American Haunting.

I spent a LONG ass time digging to find all this. I got love for ETS.
    Do you get torrents with hardcoded subs? I feel like I'm missing out on so many foreign movies simply because they are not in English.

Taking of Deborah Logan is on my watchlist.
    Here Comes the Devil is apparently influenced by the Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Seen that one?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    ^Manhunter is awesome a great film nobody talks about, still i consider it more a suspense movie, rather than a horror one...
    Manhunter is always overshadowed by Silence of the Lambs and Hopkins portrayal of Lecter. I never seen it either haha.

On topic of serial killers, sometimes movies that recreate or literally borrow every event don't do much for me. If I wanted to watch something about real life and serial killers, I'd rather just watch a documentary.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    On topic of serial killers, sometimes movies that recreate or literally borrow every event don't do much for me. If I wanted to watch something about real life and serial killers, I'd rather just watch a documentary.
    I agree! Have you seen Cropsey? One of my favorite documentary about a serial killer.
    Same director recently release Killer Legends which was good too.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Manhunter is always overshadowed by Silence of the Lambs and Hopkins portrayal of Lecter. I never seen it either haha.

Well there's a couple of good movies about serial killers that are interesting like "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" (considered a "true horror movie" by many), that thing about this one is that it's not 100% accurate and mostly takes some events from the killer's life but it's a fictional history on it's own right.
    Documentaries are another thing, they sure can be interesting too,"Helter Skelter" is a good one.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Do you get torrents with hardcoded subs? I feel like I'm missing out on so many foreign movies simply because they are not in English.

Taking of Deborah Logan is on my watchlist.
    Here Comes the Devil is apparently influenced by the Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Seen that one?
    @Deepvoid , i use something called .srt files.

there are many websites that offer these files in several languages.

here is one of them.

the trick is, sometimes you have to try a few different subtitle files to find the one that matches the version of the flick that you have.
    if you give it a try, let me know if you have any trouble.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-11-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    If you torrent movies associated with a peculiar release scene, it makes it easier to find proper subtitles. If your movie was an (I'll show my age) Axxo release, chances are that the Axxo srt files will sync with it properly.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I agree! Have you seen Cropsey? One of my favorite documentary about a serial killer.
    Same director recently release Killer Legends which was good too.
    Nope, haven't seen it. Only a handful of some documentary flagship creators.

Well there's a couple of good movies about serial killers that are interesting like "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" (considered a "true horror movie" by many), that thing about this one is that it's not 100% accurate and mostly takes some events from the killer's life but it's a fictional history on it's own right.
    Documentaries are another thing, they sure can be interesting too,"Helter Skelter" is a good one.
    I do like Helter Skelter.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid , i use something called .srt files.

there are many websites that offer these files in several languages.

here is one of them.

the trick is, sometimes you have to try a few different subtitle files to find the one that matches the version of the flick that you have.
    if you give it a try, let me know if you have any trouble.
    Problem is that I stream the movies on PS3 through TVersity.
    Having the .srt in the same folder doesn't work. Maybe I should try a different media server.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i suggest Plex, man. It's awesome. It's kind of like a "build your own netflix."

And, you make "friends" on it and can watch each other's media libraries. It's fucking awesome.

There are 3 of us ets geeks connected. It would be cool as shit if you were number four!

Check this out man.

https://plex.tv/playstation

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Henry is fantastic. If you haven't seen it, you should. Michael Rooker is great in it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer was awesome, so was the score.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, way before they filmed "Red Dragon" (part of the Silence of the Lambs saga), there was "Manhunter", the movie is a bit low budget but it's great; William Petersen does a great job as Will Graham and even Brian Cox does an interesting Hannibal (not as memorable as Anthony Hopkins yet he does a great job).
    The movie is a bit more "police-work" oriented than "Red Dragon" (that focuses more on the relationship issues of "Tooth Fairy").
    Check it out!
    Funny, I *LOVED* the book "Red Dragon" but I hated that fucking "Manhunter" movie, probably because it was directed by Michael Mann ("Miami Vice").

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Problem is that I stream the movies on PS3 through TVersity.
    Having the .srt in the same folder doesn't work. Maybe I should try a different media server.
    Do your srt files have the exact same name as your movie files ?
    Also, would that help ?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Funny, I *LOVED* the book "Red Dragon" but I hated that fucking "Manhunter" movie, probably because it was directed by Michael Mann ("Miami Vice").
    I read the novel too, and i think is very faithful to the book, yes it has an "80's vibe", but we have to remember it was done in the 80's!, also the novel was published on the early 80's, so i can see all the characters in that setting...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Watching

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    The Crazies was really good!

Because I haven't seen enough found footage movies *cough*, I got this one yesterday to watch over the weekend.
    Evidence

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I cannot stand Manhunter. I thought it was boring and it hasn't age very well.

The first time I saw Picnic at Hanging Rock was in the early 80s. It scared me so much that I remembered whole scenes and lines of dialogues for years. It's one of those movies who are built on atmosphere and mystery to scare us. I love it so so much!

Has anyone else seen the TV series Kingdom Hospital? It first aired on 2004. It's based on Riget, a Danish series (which I've never seen but I plan to watch it someday) and it was developed by Stephen King. I have the whole series on DVD and I enjoy it immensely. There are incredibly funny, almost Monty Python style moments (the headless corpse looking for it head to the tune of Where's you Head At; the surgical crew breaking down into sing and dance mode to Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye during surgery) but it's also very creepy and even disturbing, like the relationship between Mary and Antubis whom she believes is her friend but it's more complicated than that. And Paul, the teenager ghost. He is downright scary. It's not for everyone's taste but it does have its moments.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I read the novel too, and i think is very faithful to the book, yes it has an "80's vibe", but we have to remember it was done in the 80's!, also the novel was published on the early 80's, so i can see all the characters in that setting...
    I saw it IN the 80s, and it sucked in the 80s, too. Sorry, no offense. I kept expecting to hear the Miami Vice theme song at any second. It was just too stylized and gauzy and that music was just so friggin' stupid. The book made me afraid of glass cutters being used to get into my house for YEARS, lol.

Last edited by allegro; 02-12-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The Crazies was really good!

Because I haven't seen enough found footage movies *cough*, I got this one yesterday to watch over the weekend.
    Evidence
    It was $5.00 for the blu-ray at Target and it's horror and my current fandom of Timothy Olyphant (blame Justified!) sealed the deal. I'm halfway through it as I type. it's good. Great pacing and suspense.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I saw it IN the 80s, and it sucked in the 80s, too. Sorry, no offense. I kept expecting to hear the Miami Vice theme song at any second. It was just too stylized and gauzy and that music was just so friggin' stupid. The book made me afraid of glass cutters being used to get into my house for YEARS, lol.
    None taken, i understand if you guys don't like it (marodi and you), the movie indeed looks like a "Miami Vice" episode, but far for bothering me, i think it's fitting, i don't think it's a masterpiece or anything (that would be Silence of the Lambs), but i find it entertaining and like it over "Red dragon" (and i also like this one), probably because i saw "Manhunter" first, probably because i read the novel that belonged to my father, i don't know but i do feel something for this film.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-12-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Ugh, no fucking way! Manhunter is a classic. One of my favorites of all time. Brian Cox>Anthony Hopkins. Red Dragon, the movie, is a joke compared to Manhunter.

Sorry, but I feel compelled to defend this one.

The look of it may seem Miami Vice-ish...you might want to google or IMDB Michael Mann for some clarity on that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So, I watched the original The Town that dreaded Sundown last night, and it was weird. It was like "The Andy Griffin Show" styled humor mashed with a horror film. You can definitely see how Jason Voorhees was sorta ripped off from The Phantom, and even Michael Myers (especially the whole breathing thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Ugh, no fucking way! Manhunter is a classic. One of my favorites of all time. Brian Cox>Anthony Hopkins. Red Dragon, the movie, is a joke compared to Manhunter.
    I've realized over time that I actually DON'T like Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lector, not because he's not good in the role, but because he's TOO good. He overshadows everything else. As for Red Dragon, that movie had so much damn potential, but unfortunately stunk.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 02-12-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    None taken, i understand if you guys don't like it (marodi and you), the movie indeed looks like a "Miami Vice" episode, but far for bothering me, i think it's fitting, i don't think it's a masterpiece or anything (that would be Silence of the Lambs), but i find it entretaining and like it over "Red dragon" (and i also like this one), probably because i saw "Manhunter" first, probably because i read the novel that belonged to my father, i don't know but i do feel something for this film.
    I think it's because I read Red Dragon when the book was first out, and was excited about the movie and a bunch of us went to see it at the time and we were all, like, ugh, this seems so "made for TV.". I know it's easier to look back now that we can compare "Manhunter," "Red Dragon" and "Silence of the Lambs" but when you look at the script, acting, directing, production, the whole quality of "Lambs," I wish "Manhunter" would have gotten that same treatment instead of the MTV music video-looking treatment. It just didn't translate the book very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    The look of it may seem Miami Vice-ish...you might want to google or IMDB Michael Mann for some clarity on that.
    Dude, I'm a fossil, I was there when Miami Vice was on TV during prime time and hated that fucking show, so I don't need to Google it, all of us fossils know who Michael Mann is ... AND WE WANTED TO KILL HIM.

(great, now I have that fucking Miami Vice theme song stuck in my head)
    Last edited by allegro; 02-12-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I found him cheesy whereas Cox is manipulative and cold.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Mann is one of my favorite directors. Heat, Collateral and Manhunter are perfect movies to me. I think he does crime better than most. He's kind of fallen off a bit over the years, he is pushing 70, but Blackhat was decent.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm not focusing on Hannibal; I'm talking about film adaptation of a book.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I think it's because I read Red Dragon when the book was first out, and was excited about the movie and a bunch of us went to see it at the time and we were all, like, ugh, this seems so "made for TV.".
    This; this a thousand times. I was convinced it was a "made for tv" movie that was released in theater.

Dude, I'm a fossil, I was there when Miami Vice was on TV during prime time and hated that fucking show, so I don't need to Google it, all of us fossils know who Michael Mann is ... AND WE WANTED TO KILL HIM.
    (great, now I have that fucking Miami Vice theme song stuck in my head)
    Fellow fossil here who is well aware of Miami Vice too. All that pastel was making me nauseous. And it's because of Mann's style that I think the movie hasn't aged well. It's like a frozen capsule of what the 80s were like. And William Petersen is so much better in To Live and Die in L.A, which is far superior to Manhunter.

I really like some of Mann's movies (I'm one of the few who adore The Keep) but Manhunter... nope.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm on the opposite side of this. I think Manhunter is a beautiful looking film, whereas Silence of the Lambs visually never impressed me, and feels rather bland.