Page 10 of 76 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^Good post!, Jason X is decent, most of the movie are bad jokes but it features some pretty creative kills and it's entertaining to watch, it's funny it was set in space too, i guess the 90's and early 00's were "all about space", lol.

Today i'll watch "Excorcist III", my favorite one if you ask me, Brad Dourif fuckin' nails this movie!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Watched House of Wax (1953) with Vincent Price. Pretty good. Now, I'm watching Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933), which is apparently what House of Wax was a remake of. They're practically both the same so far. The tape I'm watching was taped off TBS in 1987. It looks and sounds pretty well for a VHS tape that old. Bonus: the movie is hosted by Grandpa Munster. Grandpa.fucking.Munster. This is awesome.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you...

Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    See No Evil 1 and 2 are on the playlist today. I'm guessing there will be lots of eye gouging in these.

edit- uuuuuuUUGGHHHHHHHHHHH. Awful, simply awful.
    Last edited by somethingelse; 10-12-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen Deliver Us From Evil? If so, is it worth checking out?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingelse View Post
    See No Evil 1 and 2 are on the playlist today. I'm guessing there will be lots of eye gouging in these.

edit- uuuuuuUUGGHHHHHHHHHHH. Awful, simply awful.
    To be fair I think the second one should be good based on my friend's opinion and the fact the Soska Sisters basically did the entire thing.

The first wasn't a masterpiece but it was fun for what it was. The cellphone scene is always great.

I might also be biased since my favorite WWE wrestler plays the killer in these films.

Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I've heard its passable but honestly, even if it isn't, would it hurt to watch?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Watched REC and REC 2 earlier. It's a clear case of the sequel being better than the original but I like the original just fine.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'm watching the end of the first hellraiser for at least the third time. i've seen some sequels and i have to say none of them have ever resonated as scary. the plot is too thick and the production/acting sucks. a lot of genuinely scary stuff with less production value at the time packed a much bigger punch -- namely the "raft" scene in creepshow 2, later friday the 13th sequels, even part three and four of nightmare.

meh. just not my thing.

i don't get it.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    As much as I adore this era of Barker's works, it's just so hard to translate to the screen... The cenobites are supposedly the ultimate hedonists, not some pseudo S/M clowns. I like the designs, but the characterization is crap. They're turned into evil demons spewing one-liners like goth versions of Freddy Krueger, when in fact they're only delivering what they're summoned for : ultimate ecstasy, which is a bit more than humans usually bargain for.
    Nightbreed has the same problem. That and the fact that it looks like David Hamilton decided to make a gay horror movie... Damn the 80ies were awful on some regards... The main character is this close to sporting denim cutouts...

The Raft is a very straightforward novella by King, so it's a bit easier to translate to the big screen : no backstory, no psychological turmoil, no veiled symbolism. That and the fact that they didn't make 90 minutes of film out of it.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Nothing mindblowing really, nothing awful either. I had a feeling it tried to be Angel Heart sometimes, don't know why, perhaps the tired cop thing... It's simplistic on every level, but the acting's okay, so's the production. Not a movie I'd save, but I didn't cringe.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    What to watch tomorrow night? I have so many fucking movies and I made a list but I'm still lost.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched Deliver Us From Evil during the weekend. It was okay. Not very scary. More of a thriller than anything else.
    Also watched 7500 from director Takashi Shimizu (The Grudge, Rinne). It was below average. Was is it so hard to make scary movies. You have elements of supernatural. You're stuck in an airplane. The ingredients were there. The execution was not.
    Disappointing since The Grudge scared the living shit out of me.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Guys, have you seen "Insidious"? is it any good? (might buy after work)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Guys, have you seen "Insidious"? is it any good? (might buy after work)
    Insidious is AWESOME. One of the best supernatural horror movie of the last few years.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Thanks! i read a couple of good reviews but wanted to confirm that they weren't just hype, i'm on my way to buy it!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Insidious is great until the last twenty minutes or so, in my opinion. I'd probably avoid the sequel, too.

Annabelle has leaked, for those who care. It's AWFUL.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I thought Annabella was great, i don't understand the negative reviews. I watched with headphones on and it was it was intense.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Anyone in here ever watch American Mary?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Anyone in here ever watch American Mary?
    Yup, loved it. Katherine Isabelle is great in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdm
    I thought Annabella was great, i don't understand the negative reviews.
    I found the characters to be awful (save from Alfre Woodward) and that it wasn't scary at all, save for one jump scare. Someone needs to tell James Wan that blasting discordant strings does not equal a good scare.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Yup, loved it. Katherine Isabelle is great in it.
    I've been looking into it and watching See No Evil 2 (Soska Sisters directed; Isabelle is in it as a character too) made me want to do so more.

I might buy it then upon recommendation and reviews. I like her acting skills in Hannibal (she plays Margot Verger) so I'm sure it's more of the same.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    so I'm sure it's more of the same.
    That's quite accurate. It is a bit of a slow burner, but I really enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That's quite accurate. It is a bit of a slow burner, but I really enjoyed it.
    My friend has the UK Import of the film and ever since then I've been somewhat curious. I'll probably just get the US version, with the shittier cover LOL.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Insidious is great until the last twenty minutes or so, in my opinion. I'd probably avoid the sequel, too.
    Shame on me, i bought both parts because they were on a special price deal, anyway i'm watching tomorrow, today is "Trick or Treat" (the 80's movie)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'll just take a quick minute and express my absolute love for 'Masters Of Horror'. Sure, there were some stinker episodes, but the bulk of those one-off's are excellent. In my opinion, 'Jenifer' is Dario Argento's best work since the 80's (man, him and Romero have gone downhill...), and it isn't even a proper "film".

'Fear Itself' sucked terribly. There might have been an episode or two worth repeated viewing, but nothing immediately stands out.

And Insidious is great.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm proud of my thread. 10 pages!

Guess there is a lot of sick fuckers here along with me.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Speaking of Insidious:

I really like the Elise character so of course I'm going to see it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Things I've watched since the last time I've posted:
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes (Good movie; musical scenes were very bizarre)

Chopping Mall (Head explosion was the only good part. Everything else was stupid)

Slaughter High (This movie sucked. The only thing that could have been good would have been the killer actually getting away with murders like the mock ending showed... until everything turned out to be a hallucination and he was just in an asylum. Absolutely horrendous, made me want to smash the tv)

Intruders (This was an interesting, and most of the time engaging mini series. However, some of it felt very sluggish. This is something I think should be remade and improved upon)

The Entity (Good film, but the ending felt extremely lazy)

Shocker ( I was entertain by this film, but I have no desire to ever see it again because it was pretty lame)

Theatre of Blood (Um, what the fuck? How the fuck did that one character's head become impaled on a milk bottle at the other critic's house when it discovered by the maid and wife previously in his own home!?!?!? That doesn't make ANY sense, and I haven't been able to find a single answer online. Also, I never thought I'd see Vincent Prince disguise himself in a film as a gay barber with an afro.)

The Walking Dead (Boris Karloff is awesome. Enough said.)

Murders in Rue Morgue ( Bela Lugosi is awesome. Enough said.)

The Flesh and the Fiends ( It was weird to see full nudity in a 1960's black and white horror film. Peter Cushing is great, as always, and Donald Pleasence was great as a character who seemed like a prototype Alex DeLarge.)

Dawn of the Dead ( I watched a fan edit referred to as "Mall Hours." It was great, besides the audio which sometimes had bars of music repeated very awkwardly. I would recommend this to any DOTD fan who wishes to watch the film with EVERY piece of footage.

Tonight, I'm watching Zombi 2/Zombie/Zombie Flesh Eaters/whatever else this movie might be called. I've never seen it before, but I've heard it's confusing as hell. I'm ready to be confused, and I'm read for some zombies.

Also, I have my hands on Brain Dead/DeadAlive and Reanimator. I've never seen these films either. I'm considering saving watching them for halloween.