Page 29 of 75 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Ahahaha yeah, if anything that sounded more like an Evil Dead 2 review going "it was very scary and gory, then suddenly laughing lamps and deer heads, get your shit together seriously..."
    Meh, it felt like a kids movie, not anything near evil dead 2. I can see how you would think so from my review. The movie felt like it's balls were cut off and made into a child's Christmas movie. Also why did Mike Dougherty make it pg13, did the studio's make him do that ?
    Last edited by Rdm; 12-29-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I saw Pod over the weekend. If it wasn't for the constant bickering and yelling between the family members, it would have been a decent little movie.
    The ending was kinda lame too.
    It only lasts 80 minutes. That's that I guess.
    5/10

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Watched Sinister 2 yesterday. Not as great as the first one but good nonetheless.
    Also saw The Visit. I was entertained. Grandma was the best part.
    Both deserving 7/10.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Sorry for the triple posts ...
    Rob Zombie finally got his R rating. He also announced an uncensored version for home release.

In other news, we now have the first teaser trailer for The Conjuring 2.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Forest is mediocre. Natalie Dormer gives a very good performance and it's to her credit that this movie doesn't suck as much as it could have. The first fifteen minutes are brisk in setting up her missing sister, her journey to Mount Fuji, and introducing the secondary characters, but once they actually venture into Aokigahara things really don't go anywhere exciting or interesting. The last half of this movie drags through a dull conflict between both main characters, and ends so abruptly with hardly any resolution that you feel cheated out of the ninety minutes you spent watching this thing. The film isn't the shitfest it could have been (it's a PG-13 horror movie released in January after all) but it by no means lives up to any potential a film set in a place like the Sea of Trees could have had. Another problem with The Forest is that it does very little in the way of creating a bleak atmosphere radiating dread, which something like Aokigahara should exude, and instead relies far too heavily on jump scares to grab the audience's attention, most of which don't even work half the time because you see the jolt coming a mile away.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    maybe it's been mentioned here before, but i just watched creep on netflix. one of the better found footage horror flicks i've seen.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The Witch is coming to theaters in America on February 19 ! YAY

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    ghostbusters was on tv last night and it got me thinking.

that movie scared the shit out of me when i was a kid. with the zuul stuff and the fridge and the chair and the statues and the demon driving the taxi.

parts of gremlins did the same thing.

both of them should have been pg-13, but that rating wasn't used until i was six or so.

can you believe the texas chainsaw massacre was juggled between pg and rated x?

talk about a huge margin of error.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Ok so i watched that "don't blink" that was on the netflix list that @Deepvoid posted awhile back.

it has some bad acting and some goofy dialogue and moments, but ultimately, it proved to be pretty fucking unsettling.
    when the third act rolled around, suddenly the mrs and i weren't pointing out flaws-we were pretty damn tense, and desperately trying to unravel the mystery.
    When it was all said and done, i was happy i stuck with this one, and i would recommend it to you guys.
    The concept and story are fucking awesome, and with a better director and screenwriter, this thing could have been phenomenal. It does wind up being at least pretty good.

It's one of those things that would have probably worked better as a twilight zone episode. About 1/2 way through, i realized this and decided to think of it as such, and it helped.

God help us supernatural horror fans. I'm starting to feel like i've seen ALL of the really good ones, and here i am excited about one that at least isn't AWFUL. Hopefully The Witch and The Conjuring 2 are successful enough to jumpstart another wave of supernatural horror, like the era of PA, Insidious, The Conjuring, Sinister, and the slew of indies like Canal, Honeymoon, and Exists that were banking on making a little money because of those bigger, more successful flicks.

If you guys have seen ANY good supernatural horror lately that i may have missed ( @Deepvoid ? ) please to lay it on me! This drought is making me crazy.
    @c0f3d , Ghostbusters 2 scared the shit out of me.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ok so i watched that "don't blink" that was on the netflix list that @Deepvoid posted awhile back.

it has some bad acting and some goofy dialogue and moments, but ultimately, it proved to be pretty fucking unsettling.
    when the third act rolled around, suddenly the mrs and i weren't pointing out flaws-we were pretty damn tense, and desperately trying to unravel the mystery.
    When it was all said and done, i was happy i stuck with this one, and i would recommend it to you guys.
    The concept and story are fucking awesome, and with a better director and screenwriter, this thing could have been phenomenal. It does wind up being at least pretty good.

It's one of those things that would have probably worked better as a twilight zone episode. About 1/2 way through, i realized this and decided to think of it as such, and it helped.

God help us supernatural horror fans. I'm starting to feel like i've seen ALL of the really good ones, and here i am excited about one that at least isn't AWFUL. Hopefully The Witch and The Conjuring 2 are successful enough to jumpstart another wave of supernatural horror, like the era of PA, Insidious, The Conjuring, Sinister, and the slew of indies like Canal, Honeymoon, and Exists that were banking on making a little money because of those bigger, more successful flicks.

If you guys have seen ANY good supernatural horror lately that i may have missed ( @Deepvoid ? ) please to lay it on me! This drought is making me crazy.
    @c0f3d , Ghostbusters 2 scared the shit out of me.
    I also caught Don't Blink last weekend as well. I kinda liked it. Not awesome but definitely an interesting concept.
    Have you seen "Coherence" It's more Sci-Fi than horror but it's pretty awesome. You should definitely check it out.

Another recent unknown title I saw was "Exeter". Definitely worth the watch. A worthy 6/10. It's a supernatural-demon-related movie.
    Also had the chance to watch Come Back To Me. It's forgettable. I guess if you really have nothing to watch you could for it. Gave it 5/10.
    And finally another 5/10 for "Extinction" featuring Jack from Lost. Post-zombie invasion setting. More of drama-horror.

That's pretty much it. I'll let you know if I stumble across new titles.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Ghostbusters is scarier than The Exorcist, IDGAF.

I'm on a gialli kick as of late. Finally saw A Blade in the Dark last night and I'm probably watching Don't Torture A Duckling later - if I don't pass out from exhaustion first. Oh, those Italians and their high camp!

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Ghostbusters is scarier than The Exorcist, IDGAF.

I'm on a gialli kick as of late. Finally saw A Blade in the Dark last night and I'm probably watching Don't Torture A Duckling later - if I don't pass out from exhaustion first. Oh, those Italians and their high camp!
    Have you seen Berberian Sound Studio? It's a must see in general, especially if you are a Giallo fan, plus Broadcast does the soundtrack.

I haven't seen much giallo myself. Are the movies you mentioned overly gory?

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Thank you @Deepvoid . Exeter it is.

Also. i saw Coherence awhile back, and while i loved the concept, it didn't QUITE work for me.
    If i had a few pieces of that blotter paper we used to eat, i think i would have liked it better.

Has anyone seen The Veil yet? Or Contracted 2? They are both out on netfling.

Contracted 1 was great BTW.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-22-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    does anyone wanna get down with me on plex? i have a nice horror library

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    31 was released to Sundance. Great reviews makes me excited! Cannot wait to watch this!

9.6/10 on IMDB too!!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    He Never Died - I really wanted to like this, but it was just lifeless and dull. Such a waste of Henry Rollins.

Werewolf Woman - hysterically over-the-top Italian sleaze from the 70s. My favourite scene is when our heroine is writhing on a bed calling her sister a "fucking whore" and yelling "I LIKE TO MAKE LOVE TOO, YOU KNOW". Glorious.

Looking at the media centre box I have, the genre watchlist for the rest of the week includes:
    Curtains
    Tourist Trap
    Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
    Rawhead Rex
    Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    He Never Died - I really wanted to like this, but it was just lifeless and dull. Such a waste of Henry Rollins.

Werewolf Woman - hysterically over-the-top Italian sleaze from the 70s. My favourite scene is when our heroine is writhing on a bed calling her sister a "fucking whore" and yelling "I LIKE TO MAKE LOVE TOO, YOU KNOW". Glorious.

Looking at the media centre box I have, the genre watchlist for the rest of the week includes:
    Curtains
    Tourist Trap
    Scout's Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
    Rawhead Rex
    Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension
    My friend owns the Curtains blu-ray. I previewed it, looks great. He also said the movie is good.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i've never seen jaws until tonight. no shit. i didn't love it.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Just finished watching Crimson Peak. I wouldn't really call this a horror movie. I mean, it has element of horror but it's more macabre than pure horror.
    Movie looks amazing. The story is pretty simplistic and predictable. The first act drags a bit in length. When they get to the manor, things get more interesting but I felt like the movie never really find its pace.
    Don't get me wrong. I liked the movie but i really wanted to love it,especially after seeing those amazing previews. Still a solid 7/10. Cannot give it an 8 because it lacks replay value and is definitely not memorable enough.

Also watched the following movies during the weekend.

Howl: Pretty decent monster movie. Setting was great; train stuck in the middle of nowhere during the night. Acting was alright but the characters were not very likable.

Last Shift: That was another good supernatural movie. There were some decent scares. Good pace. Overall, a nice surprise. @elevenism you should check this one out if you haven't yet (Btw: Did you like Exeter?)

I realized that while I've seen a lot of modern day horror movies, I completely missed some some old classics. Sure, I've seen the original Hallowee, Friday the 13th etc.. but for instance, I realized that I had never seen the original "The Omen".
    It can now be crossed off the list. Really enjoyed it. I can only imagine watching this back when it came out, when religion was omnipresent in your every day life. It was probably more terrifying then. Still good today.

Next on the watchlist: Jeruzalem and Digging Up The Marrow
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 02-02-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid , i felt the same way about Crimson Peak. It wasn't great, but good lord, it LOOKED incredible.

I haven't given Exeter a whirl yet, but my mom loved it. I will check out Last Shift too-thanks.

I found DUTM to be fairly enjoyable, btw

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I found DUTM to be fairly enjoyable, btw
    Watched Digging Up The Marrow last night. I really liked it. However, Adam Greene screwed up big time by casting Ray Lewis as Deckell. Should have gone with an unknown actor. Having this recognizable face took away the mockumentary vibe. 7/10

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    What do you guys think of Daria Argento movies? any you'd recommend?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I watched Suspiria last year for the first time and it's a must-see.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I watched Suspiria last year for the first time and it's a must-see.
    i just don't get into watching people get hurt. it doesnt scare me. it just makes me feel bad for the people getting sliced or whatever

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Suspiria (as already mentioned) and Deep Red/Profondo Rosso are the usual two recommendations. I mention the Italian name because the "International/Director's Cut" is the only complete version out there. If you're torrenting, just add "Director's Cut" to your search.

Inferno, the second part of the Three Mothers trilogy (Suspiria being the first), is a visual treat, although the movie itself makes little sense without repeat viewings. If you enjoyed the visual tone/mood of Suspiria, you'll enjoy Inferno. For the love of whoever, skip the third part. Udo Kier is still a badass.

Tenebrae, Phenomena, and Opera round out the '80s and Daria Nicolodi's run with Maestro Argento that are worth a shit. Excellent scores and some memorable deaths, for sure.

His two contributions to the Masters of Horror series, Jenifer and Pelts, are often-overloooked but excellent nonetheless. Pelts is reminiscent of a Tales from the Crypt episode, with Meat Loaf playing the main character.

---------------------------------------

I tried to keep this brief and had to censor myself, so some of these sentences might sound a little fragmented/funky. I'm a big fan of Dario Argento, and gialli in general.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

Suspiria, Tenebrae and Phenomena are all very good.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid i liked last shift.
    it wasn't GREAT, but it had some killer creepy visuals, didn't it?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid i liked last shift.
    it wasn't GREAT, but it had some killer creepy visuals, didn't it?
    Absolutely! I agree it wasn't great but when we've seen much of all the new releases, "decent" movies are good enough for me. Last Shift fits into this category.

I watched Jeruzalem this morning. POV movie shot from the perspective of Google Glass. It's about the end of times. Not much happening in the first 40 minutes besides the awesome footage from some Vatican exorcist. Then things start to get interesting. You do want to punch the main character in the face a few times. It's a very cliche movie with very little originality. Still recommending it if you have nothing to watch. 5/10

Also saw Hidden starring Alexander Skarsgard. Movie about a family hiding from some things in a post-outbreak world. It had some elements of horror but it's more of a suspense/thrillrr/horror guess. Reminded me of Monsters but definitely not as good.
    Ok I had to upgrade this rating from a 6 to a 7 because of the last 20 minutes. Should have waited before reviewing it. Didn't see any of this coming.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 02-07-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    The Diabolical was watchable.
    It wasn't scary but it had a really cool story, despite a few plot holes.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    @Deepvoid , hidden was the shit.
    it went from zero to fucking awesome in the last half hour. i ALMOST turned it off though
    i'm glad i didn't. thanks for the tip.

also, it made me cry a bit-am i getting too soft?