Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: spaceSuicide's Horrortastic Horrific Horror Film Thread...Of Horror!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is ONLY my blu-rays. I have a shit ton more on DVD. I ordered American Mary earlier @slave2thewage

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^ Zombi 2 (Dawn of the Dead was released as 'Zombi' in most of Europe for those that didn't know) isn't all that terrible. It suffers from what many of the Italian films of the 70's and 80's did––low budget and very choppy, poor editing. That being said, Lucio Fulci is a gore master and the king of the "eyeball gag".

My forté is giallos (Dario Argento's mostly). I'm actually very much in to Italian horror. If you enjoy Fulci's gory style, then definitely check out Mario Bava (I realize Fulci and Bava do not make what would technically be considered giallos).

(Edit): How is that 'Monsters' collection, Space? Looks like an import, but that's no biggie with a region-free player.
    Last edited by Aywok; 10-23-2014 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aywok View Post

(Edit): How is that 'Monsters' collection, Space? Looks like an import, but that's no biggie with a region-free player.
    Good eye.

Perfect quality. The blacks are dark and the white pops. Lovely viewing pleasure. It includes 8 films:

Dracula
    Frankenstein
    The Mummy
    The Invisible Man
    The Bride of Frankenstein
    The Wolfman
    Phantom of the Opera
    Creature from the Black Lagoon (2D and 3D versions included)

There's a US version and a UK version. I have the UK version. It's region free, comes with movie poster postcards (exclusive to the UK) and is roughly 40.00 cheaper than the US version.

I paid $40.00 for it (the typical price for the UK import) while the US version hovers $85.00-$90.00.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Is "See no evil 2" as bad as part 1?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Is "See no evil 2" as bad as part 1?
    I thought the first was middle of the road, honestly. It was neat for what it was but in the grand scheme of things mostly forgettable. I liked it but you know why.

The second one however has a bit of originality to it. The kills were creative and it had a death I never seen before in a horror film (Spoiler: Jacob Goodnight "dying" from embalming fluid) so it made for a nice view. The Soska Sisters really saved this (now) series. I read an interview where they'd love to create a 3rd and 4th film. If it's in this vein, I'd be open to it. You know I like Kane so more is good haha.

Due to the film it opened my eyes to these Twins so I'm gonna delve further, read up on future projects and watch their work from now on.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Zombeavers anyone?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    looks like shit... awesome shit!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I seen the trailer for that a long time ago. I was like really? These people think of EVERYTHING.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I equally want to watch and completely avoid Zombeavers.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Has anyone seen Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist?
    I have. It' superior to Exorcist: The Beginning but it's a bit strange to watch at times since the special effects aren't quite finished in certain scenes. It's more a psychological horror movie than Beginning, which rely more on shocking moments to scare us. The cast is better in Dominion; especially Gabriel Mann whom I liked a lot more than James D'Arcy in the role of Father Francis.

It remains a curiosity and the best, I think, is to watch both movies together to compare. And to watch the always great Stellan Skarsgĺrd play the exact same role differently.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I liked "Exorcist: the Beggining" a bit better, just because the movie is a bit more cohesive than "Dominion", but yeah the idea of "Dominion" is so much better.
    Sadly both are just a cash grab, but miles better that the awful "Exorcist: The Herectic" (one of my most hated movies of all time...)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I love horror movies if you couldn't tell...

That 'Exorcist' prequel thing was a disaster. No one could agree on anything story-wise (direction), and once the final product was done, the studio (and audiences) hated it. So, instead of "moving on", they decided to "re-do" the idea. I can't recall right off which is which, but the one that takes place in the desert was pretty interesting until the last 25 minutes or so. Also, that movie has a HUGE flaw...

Spoiler: The movie pretty much states that it is Pazuzu, not Satan, who has been the evil one at work the entire series. I'll keep it short––bullshit.

And ha on the differences in prices between those box sets, Space. I wasn't thinking last night, but all Universal Blu-rays are region-free (since 2009-2010, I believe).

Any Blue Underground fans? I like to think of them as the Criterion Collection of foreign horror movies. Given most of the source materials, their transfers/presentations are top-notch. Like any studio making a format switch, the first few releases aren't as quality as later ones. They had to find their groove, I suppose.
    Last edited by Aywok; 10-25-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Changed "media" to "format"

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I have. It' superior to Exorcist: The Beginning but it's a bit strange to watch at times since the special effects aren't quite finished in certain scenes. It's more a psychological horror movie than Beginning, which rely more on shocking moments to scare us. The cast is better in Dominion; especially Gabriel Mann whom I liked a lot more than James D'Arcy in the role of Father Francis.

It remains a curiosity and the best, I think, is to watch both movies together to compare. And to watch the always great Stellan Skarsgĺrd play the exact same role differently.
    That hyena scene pissed me off so much, both for the awful CGI and the attack.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Zombi 2 was pretty great, but I wish it was like 30 minutes longer because once they're on the island, the shit just starts hitting the fan instantly. It would of been nice to get a little more background on the voodoo curse on the island. Also, the effects were awesome, especially the zombies.

Also watched The Body Snatcher with Boris Karloff. I should have watched this the same day I watched The Flesh and the Fiends.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Zombi 2 was pretty great, but I wish it was like 30 minutes longer because once they're on the island, the shit just starts hitting the fan instantly. It would of been nice to get a little more background on the voodoo curse on the island. Also, the effects were awesome, especially the zombies.

Also watched The Body Snatcher with Boris Karloff. I should have watched this the same day I watched The Flesh and the Fiends.
    Giannetto De Rossi (the effects guy) is amazing. He also did the Fulci films 'The Beyond' and 'The House By The Cemetary'. His résumé is rather impressive, including 'Once Upon A Time In The West' and 'Dune', to name a few.

As far as background in a Lucio Fulci movie, that's just not something he really does unfortunately.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Has anyone seen Deliver Us From Evil? If so, is it worth checking out?
    i got my hopes up too high for it.
    it's entertaining, but not very scary and is NOT a true story.
    Damn sure worth watching though.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?
    As some of you know, i am ALWAYS on the hunt for good supernatural horror movies...ghost stories and such...that are actually scary.
    The conjuring is the holy grail for me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    As much as I adore this era of Barker's works, it's just so hard to translate to the screen... The cenobites are supposedly the ultimate hedonists, not some pseudo S/M clowns. I like the designs, but the characterization is crap. They're turned into evil demons spewing one-liners like goth versions of Freddy Krueger…
    But........but......We have such sights to show you!

I’ve never read the book, so maybe I’m missing out. The book may very well have been better than the movie, but I thought Clive Barker did great in his first go as a director with Hellraiser. I’ve always thought of Hellraiser as a noteworthy departure from the slashers and horror comedies that had been done and redone and redone again in the 80’s. The more convoluted plot and adult nature of the film were a big plus. I also enjoyed the way that the cenobites were used in the first two films, I thought they felt quite different from the already established film monsters as Freddy, Jason and Michael.

I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong…

Anyway, overall, apples to apples, as far as horror movies go, I’d take the horror films of the era of the late 70’s to the early 90’s over the stuff today. I appreciated the fantasy element of horror that was more prevalent back then with films like Halloween, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Hellraiser over the more modern horror works like Saw, Hostel, Audition, A Serbian Film, Martyrs, and others. Just my personal preference.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So, I watched the first two "entries" in Roman Polanski's inadvertent "apartment trilogy."
    Repulsion was pretty good, though for some reason, something felt off about it, and I can't put my finger on it.

Rosemary's Baby was fairly good, but I can't help but wish that Spoiler: Rosemary would have snapped the baby's neck at the end. It would have nice to see everybody's reaction to that."

Gonna watch The Tenant tonight and maybe Suspiria. Still have to watch Lucio Fulci's "Gates of Hell" trilogy, another inadvertent trilogy.

Also, I finally got my hands on Witchfinder General. Can't wait to watch it. Anyone know of another film to pair it with? I've already seen The Wicker Man. I'm thinking City of the Dead, Curse of the Demon or The Devil Rides Out. I'll probably just watch all three.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Apparently I'm special and got the Canadian import instead of the US version. I'm ok with that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Opinions on The Tenant: What the fuck did I just watch? Pretty sure Roman Polanksi in drag feeling himself up in the mirror is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen, and something I'll never be able to erase from my brain unfortunately.

Opinions on Suspiria: Suspiria was great until it prematurely ejactulated its climax onto my face. I had the same problem with Inferno. So, is this something that's popular to do in Italian horror, or am I just unlucky?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Opinions on The Tenant: What the fuck did I just watch? Pretty sure Roman Polanksi in drag feeling himself up in the mirror is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen, and something I'll never be able to erase from my brain unfortunately.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Opinions on Suspiria: Suspiria was great until it prematurely ejactulated its climax onto my face. I had the same problem with Inferno. So, is this something that's popular to do in Italian horror, or am I just unlucky?
    I would say it's an "Argento thing", he likes abrupt climaxes and endings, most of his movies do that

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I watched the quite rediculous Zombeavers last night, decent enough film if you don't take it remotely seriously.

Also watched Life After Beth which was also a pretty decent zom-rom-com.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    watch out for hammer horrors in HD on BBC4 over the next few weeks. The fifties Mummy with Cushing and Sir Christopher Lee (as the mummy!) is on soon

Curse of Frankenstein is on iplayer at the moment and it's beautiful

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Picked up the 88 version of The Blob and Prom Night today at the library. To keep with the season. Also started to download Pumpkinhead and Nightbreed. Now all i can think about is all the bad horror movies i watched on USA Up All Night. May have to do some digging around to see if i can find some of the those older slasher/horror flicks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Picked up the 88 version of The Blob and Prom Night today at the library. To keep with the season. Also started to download Pumpkinhead and Nightbreed. Now all i can think about is all the bad horror movies i watched on USA Up All Night. May have to do some digging around to see if i can find some of the those older slasher/horror flicks.
    I remember 'Basket Case' being the first movie I saw in-full on Up All Night. That movie is still nuts.

(Edit): And Swamp Thing: The Series was amazing to my 6-year old brain. Haven't seen that show in literally over 20 years.
    Last edited by Aywok; 10-30-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aywok View Post

(Edit): And Swamp Thing: The Series was amazing to my 6-year old brain. Haven't seen that show in literally over 20 years.
    As a comic book fan, I always felt the movies (Yes, the might Wes Craven's) and TV show were a total bastardization of the character entirely. That's a place and rant for another thread though...LOL.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    But........but......We have such sights to show you!

I’ve never read the book, so maybe I’m missing out. The book may very well have been better than the movie, but I thought Clive Barker did great in his first go as a director with Hellraiser.
    I'm with you. I thought Hellraiser was REALLY bad ass, and i loved part 2 as well.
    They didn't become s&m ass clowns or whatever until later in the series.

Sure, Hellraiser wasn't The Hellbound Heart, but i'd venture to say that it would actually be IMPOSSIBLE to properly translate The Hellbound Heart, which is the most disturbing, twisted, terrifying little book i've ever read.

SOOOOOOOO ...the reason i came here....

V/H/S Viral.
    I just watched it and it blew me the fuck away.
    It is one of the most unique horror films i've ever seen, and they REALLY push the vcr glitch vibe to the limit in this one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    As a comic book fan, I always felt the movies (Yes, the might Wes Craven's) and TV show were a total bastardization of the character entirely. That's a place and rant for another thread though...LOL.
    I'm sure you're probably correct. I am a comic book fan myself, and a DC fan at that, but cannot remember anything about the series other than it looked "cool and scary" to me at that age. I'm sure I'd be embarrassed and appalled if I saw it now.

I was more or less having a nostalgia moment though; Up All Night, Swamp Thing, and Friday the 13th: The Series.

------------------------

One thing that always bothered me about the Hellraiser adaptation was their representation of Pinhead. Doug Bradley has put an iconic vision as well as voice in to a lot of our minds about what Pinhead should be. I have no problem with that and love it.

However, he is described in 'The Hellbound Heart' as being almost completely androgynous, even down to the voice. There was even a small note that it had either a "feminine" or "angelic" quality to it (I haven't read the story in a while). It's all apples and oranges anyway, though.

Hellraiser is a horror franchise; 'The Hellbound Heart' was for all intents a "messed up" love story.