Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the longest and farthest distance you have traveled to see Nine Inch Nails?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

What's the longest and farthest distance you have traveled to see Nine Inch Nails?

This question occurred to me after reading Hazekiah's posts about following Marilyn Manson for about an entire tour. I also wondered if this would also belong in the Nine Inch Nails section, but thought of making do with this section for now, as it's about attending NIN concerts.

As for me, I suppose the farthest for me was the second NIN show I've attended at Nikon at the Jones Beach Theater in Wantagh, New York. And well, it would be rather interesting to see what would be said from somebody that saw Nine Inch Nails as much as Hazekiah saw Marilyn Manson. I also suppose that the NIN Tour History site would be very useful for this topic.

http://www.nintourhistory.com/

@Hazekiah - I thought that you'd like this topic as well.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    LA -> SD -> IRVINE -> SANTA BARBARA -> SF -> LA

7 days, ~1k miles, 4 shows

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nothing crazy. Just Philly to Barclays in Brooklyn for Tension. Would travel though without a doubt if they didn't do Philly shows.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Few hours on the train from Cardiff to London and Birmingham, not very far

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1,5 hour drive to Antwerp... But hey, it's another country.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Probably the 9 hour flight (5437 miles) to LA. But I know lots of people that have travelled to the UK from Australia and vice versa.
    Last edited by icklekitty; 07-04-2014 at 04:22 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Delaware ->Camden, NJ -> Holmdel, NJ -> Columbia, MD -> Charlotte, NC -> Delaware.

Driving to Charlotte is the worst in my opinion.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    About 3.5 hours via ferry, bus and sky train.

This summer will be my longest. 6hr greyhound then meet a friend and 2/3 hr drive to the festival ground.
    Last edited by icecream; 06-23-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From Orlando to NY for Woodstock '94. In a '69 VW bus.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I took 2 greyhound busses (before wifi) 12 hours one way for a NIN weekend. With my 8 inch mohawk up.
    I also bussed from Philly to Buffalo (11 hour bus) then catch a ride with my Buffalo friend up to Toronto (another 2 or so hours), and then drove to Cleveland (about 3 hours) for the next show, then bussed back to Philly to take a train up to Newark (2 hours) right after the Cleveland show. I am bussing up to drive up to Toronto again in July.

As long as NIN plays Toronto and I live in Philly, I'll be making that trip. Because going to a show is awesome, but going with awesome NIN friends is the best.
    Last edited by sick among the pure; 06-24-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Not far, Edinburgh to London. 4.30hr on the train, a journey I travel for most of the gigs I attend not just NIN.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Flew from Chicago, IL to St Paul,MN for the Tension tour opener since that was the cheapest option for me to see a Tension show since there wasn't a Chicago date.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've driven from Tucson, AZ to Vegas to see NIN and to see HTDA. To date, and out of the hundreds of concerts I have seen, these are the only times I have traveled to another state for a concert.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

What's the longest and farthest distance you have traveled to see Nine Inch N...

Flew from Chicago to LAX then we drove down to Palm Desert. Twice. So that's 2000 miles to LA, then another 120 miles to Palm Desert.

I also flew from Chicago to Toronto, saw a show there, then drove to Montreal for a show there. But that wasn't as far as California, natch.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I saw an NYC and 2 LA Wave Goodbye shows while living in Santa Barbara. I think I was in NYC for a conference though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    1. Austria > Milan. 4 hour drive.
    2. My house > Stadthalle Vienna. 10 minute walk.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    The people jumping ponds (aka going overseas for shows) will likely have the longest distance per concert. (Think I just posted the obvious, duhhhhrrr...)

To to add a twist to this thread: last time I slept in my own bed after a a NIN show was the summer 2006 tour. :/ Milwaukee sucks as far as music scene goes, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    So that's 8 years and at least 7 tours ago (depending on what you count as a "tour").

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Sydney to Melbourne, lulz

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    It almost looks like this thread title is "what's the longest fart?" in my tab:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i flew from idaho to el paso, texas, in 2006. i also spent the night at the reno airport after the second wt club show.

two things i would never fucking do again.
    Last edited by kel; 10-02-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I drove 10 hours to see a chicago show once. Solo. Had never been to the city, and I had nothing else going on so I was like why the fuck not. Outside of that, I usually max out at 5 hours. Anything farther than that and I'm throwing in the towel.

I've had a couple plans that fell through to go to amsterdam over the years sadly, so I guess the farthest distance flying would be Vegas, but that was kind of a I'm fuckin going to vegas right now because I need to type situation, and the show was a happy coincidence.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm Irish, I have to travel to see anyone live. I probably wracked up a good distance in total with last month's trip.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    400 km (at the time of 150 min)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    In September 1995, I flew from Chicago to Philly for the Outside/Dissonance tour stop in Camden. However, it's probably necessary to caveat that my father lived in Philly at the time, and given I was a high school freshman, the trip certainly would not have happened without the parental angle.

Not to hijack the thread, but I think it would also be sort of interesting to hear the shortest distance people have had to travel for a show.

When the Wave Goodbye club shows were announced, I was hoping for the possibility of a Roseland Ballroom (RIP!) date here in NYC, for at that time my apartment literally looked directly out over the roof of the venue. While that wish went unfulfilled, the 0.7 mile walk over to Terminal 5 was a pretty nice consolation prize.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My three shows:

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    My first time was in 1991, driving with some friends from Tampa to Orlando (85 miles / 136 km). When 1994 rolled around, it seemed natural to go from Tampa to Jacksonville (200 miles / 322 km), but I wasn't able to go from Jacksonville to Miami (344 miles / 553 km) because of work.

I missed out on the Florida club shows in 1995 due to ticket buying logistics, so when I found out about the NIN/Bowie show in Atlanta - it didn't seem like such an absurd idea to drive from Tampa to catch that show (456 miles / 734 km). That's when I think I caught the bug.

When I moved to Atlanta in 1999, it was easier to travel since I wasn't headquartered in the middle of a peninsula and it was the hub city of a major airline. So, I flew from Atlanta to Amsterdam (4395 miles / 7074 km) to catch six European shows.

When NIN announced tour dates in 2007 and were planning to hit one of my favorite places to visit (plus made it super-simple to purchase tickets) it was a no-brainer to fly from Atlanta to Tokyo (6844 miles / 11015 km) to catch six shows in Japan.

If we turn it around, the shortest distance I've had for a show was in 2005 from my place in Atlanta to the Tabernacle (6.3 miles / 10.13 km). You can see the rest of my tour insanity here.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Shortest? 9.2 miles according to google maps, that's driving distance and not a straight line.

This should be fun...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    In September 1995, I flew from Chicago to Philly for the Outside/Dissonance tour stop in Camden. However, it's probably necessary to caveat that my father lived in Philly at the time, and given I was a high school freshman, the trip certainly would not have happened without the parental angle.

Not to hijack the thread, but I think it would also be sort of interesting to hear the shortest distance people have had to travel for a show.

When the Wave Goodbye club shows were announced, I was hoping for the possibility of a Roseland Ballroom (RIP!) date here in NYC, for at that time my apartment literally looked directly out over the roof of the venue. While that wish went unfulfilled, the 0.7 mile walk over to Terminal 5 was a pretty nice consolation prize.
    All the shows I saw from 1999 to 2009 (except sonisphere festival) were in London when I worked there so I went to the gig after work, so the distance would be a tube journey or two. With hindsight I wish I had been more adventurous and caught a few shows in mainland Europe. I certainly could have afforded it from 2005 - 2007 as i didn't have kids and had quite a well paid job, but I just didn't have the mindset of travelling for gigs, spoiled by living in London and feeling everyone should come to me

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Dallas to philly for made in America, and Dallas to Boston for Tension (we also went for the Patriots game, and we saw nin was going to be there, so it was the perfect weekend)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    295 miles from Phoenix to Las Vegas for Night 2 of the Tension shows in Vegas. Shortest would be about ~7 miles from my place to Downtown and the US Airways Center.