Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^downward spiral was a different era though, pre file sharing when you didn't have instant access to the entirety of the music world. I don't think it would have the same impact if released now, nothing does

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    If he released another groundbreaking masterpiece, that would upset you???? all i know is 21 years later people still talk about TDS....2 years later, HM is already forgotten about...and if people didnt like HM that means they are immature? are you sure you arent rob sheridan? sounds like what robbie boy was crying about on twitter when 'Everything' got blasted....
    Oh c'mon I know you know exactly what @nowimnothing was saying. You're just being facetious. And in case you didn't know, let me explain: they meant if Trent Reznor, who is admittedly in a pretty good place with a wife and children and mass success and a very lovely life, came out and tried to sound like the young, angry, troubled guy who made March of the Pigs and sang things like I Do Not Want This, it would seem incredibly insincere and immature. And you can pause yourself, don't worry, you don't have to bust out that Robert Smith quote you've used here before about being angry at 50, because, holy shit, and this might be a new, novel thought here, but stick with me -- Trent Reznor and Robert Smith are different people and different people are capable of different head spaces and emotions at the same stages of life.

Trent making an album dealing with addiction and depression in the face of external happiness, of questioning your relevancy as you age, of looking back on who you once were and feeling that distant connection to that person, of having to reconcile your best and worst parts as being equally a part of you -- that was sincere.

And please, buddy, show me all the albums similar to TDS being remembered that are made in this day and age in a very big, mainstream way -- they don't exist, because the entire landscape of music, from how it's bought to how it's consumed to how people approach it, is wildly different. There's hardly even a real "mainstream" anything anymore -- everyone has crawled into their little niches, everyone has found their own little space and corner of sound they enjoy and like, and within those corners there are maybe big names and albums, but outside of them, many people haven't a clue that they even exist. The last album I can think of to come out that I see get mentioned regularly in the mainstream from more than a couple years ago is Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and I'll bet you'd shit all over that, too, because you just seem to be hellbent on being shut off to anything remotely beyond your comfort zone and incapable of simply saying "Hey, you know what, this just isn't for me," and instead have to go on internet forums every day and tell everyone how the things they love, that mean something to them, that count to them, that have affected them or that, just simply, they enjoy to hear from time to time, is just "utter shit" and so horrible and terrible and here's a million reasons why your subjective opinion is wrong and mine is right.

There, just summed up every post you're gonna make from now to the New Year, saved you the trouble of having to post. Have fun with all the free time!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    There are loads of people, particularly in countries outside North America, I'm sure, who have only heard of NIN in the past ten years based on tracks from With Teeth and albums after that. The Downward Spiral didn't have the same global impact later albums did. I'll go ahead and confess to being somewhat North America-centric in my analysis just as much as anyone else, it was genuinely a shock to me that "The Hand That Feeds" was seen as a breakthrough in territories where NIN had never previously been popular.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I wouldn't actually mind that much if he dropped the NIN moniker and just went with his own name, it would allow more freedom to do something more low key and stripped down without a light show without people feeling let down, it may remove certain expectations
    I thought he should've done that with Ghosts. Though I understand why he would put the NIN label on it for sales reasons alone.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I thought he should've done that with Ghosts. Though I understand why he would put the NIN label on it for sales reasons alone.
    I consider that the first TR+AR album really

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Well, bits of it, maybe... but there are parts that Alessandro is clearly all over, and also the 'rock' tracks (particularly some that Adrian Belew & Brian Viglione play on) certainly push it more into familiar NIN territory. I feel like "20 Ghosts III" is the fucked-up lovechild of Atticus' montage-y approach and NIN's Fragile-era rockers like "Starfuckers", in some way.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Well, bits of it, maybe... but there are parts that Alessandro is clearly all over, and also the 'rock' tracks (particularly some that Adrian Belew & Brian Viglione play on) certainly push it more into familiar NIN territory. I feel like "20 Ghosts III" is the fucked-up lovechild of Atticus' montage-y approach and NIN's Fragile-era rockers like "Starfuckers", in some way.
    goddamn 20 Ghosts III is awesome, thanks for reminding me

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Oh c'mon I know you know exactly what @nowimnothing was saying. You're just being facetious. And in case you didn't know, let me explain: they meant if Trent Reznor, who is admittedly in a pretty good place with a wife and children and mass success and a very lovely life, came out and tried to sound like the young, angry, troubled guy who made March of the Pigs and sang things like I Do Not Want This, it would seem incredibly insincere and immature. And you can pause yourself, don't worry, you don't have to bust out that Robert Smith quote you've used here before about being angry at 50, because, holy shit, and this might be a new, novel thought here, but stick with me -- Trent Reznor and Robert Smith are different people and different people are capable of different head spaces and emotions at the same stages of life.

Trent making an album dealing with addiction and depression in the face of external happiness, of questioning your relevancy as you age, of looking back on who you once were and feeling that distant connection to that person, of having to reconcile your best and worst parts as being equally a part of you -- that was sincere.

And please, buddy, show me all the albums similar to TDS being remembered that are made in this day and age in a very big, mainstream way -- they don't exist, because the entire landscape of music, from how it's bought to how it's consumed to how people approach it, is wildly different. There's hardly even a real "mainstream" anything anymore -- everyone has crawled into their little niches, everyone has found their own little space and corner of sound they enjoy and like, and within those corners there are maybe big names and albums, but outside of them, many people haven't a clue that they even exist. The last album I can think of to come out that I see get mentioned regularly in the mainstream from more than a couple years ago is Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and I'll bet you'd shit all over that, too, because you just seem to be hellbent on being shut off to anything remotely beyond your comfort zone and incapable of simply saying "Hey, you know what, this just isn't for me," and instead have to go on internet forums every day and tell everyone how the things they love, that mean something to them, that count to them, that have affected them or that, just simply, they enjoy to hear from time to time, is just "utter shit" and so horrible and terrible and here's a million reasons why your subjective opinion is wrong and mine is right.

There, just summed up every post you're gonna make from now to the New Year, saved you the trouble of having to post. Have fun with all the free time!

you lost me when you started praising kanye west

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    MBDTF is probably in the top 5 albums released in my lifetime!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    you lost me when you started praising kanye west
    *reminder that bill likes metallica

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    *reminder that bill likes metallica

i despise metallica....Pantera is more my scene

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yeah, there are certainly seeds of what would eventually become Trent and Atticus' score work, both figuratively and literally (35 Ghosts IV), but I think there's enough going on to differentiate it as a Nine Inch Nails album.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If he released another groundbreaking masterpiece, that would upset you???? all i know is 21 years later people still talk about TDS....2 years later, HM is already forgotten about...and if people didnt like HM that means they are immature? are you sure you arent rob sheridan? sounds like what robbie boy was crying about on twitter when 'Everything' got blasted....
    You do realise that TDS isn't the only masterpiece in the NIN catalog Bill? Perhaps I should have considered who I was talking to.

What I actually said was that if he did another TDS, I would cry. Not if he created another masterpiece. I am of the opinion that TF and HM were excellent. And I probably feel this way because TDS really isn't the be all and end all of the NIN catalog. If it was, then I would have stopped caring 20 years ago. But then I don't go judging albums by caring what other people see in them, or how many copies they sold either. I prefer to judge them on their own individual merit.

I see from comments that you have made previously that you get your kicks trolling people here - but I honestly could care less about your jibber jabber. Talk to me when you have something useful to contribute.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Actually. I have another confession. I really do love the Came Back Haunted video.

I am an avid Lynch fan - and it was great to see Lynch respond to Reznor's music in a visual medium. Would love to see them work together more. Lost Highway is a masterpiece.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This post might as well go here. Anyway, I suppose you can say that I've sometimes wished that Down In It made its way on And All That Could Have Been (Live). I still understand and accept why it would've been put out of the way to make room for more songs from The Fragile though. I was still satisfied though, but I also suppose it's because Down In It is one of my favorite songs that were also music videos. And interestingly enough, it still started with Terrible Lie and ended with Hurt just like Closure did.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    When Levi made that fart sound for april fool's day last year, i legit thought it was a ghost.
    i didn't realize it was coming from the website. I left the room in terror.

You can look at the "have you seen a ghost thread" and see where around that time, i posted that a ghost had been fucking with me.

It was the ghost of All That Could Have Been.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    watching tension. i get that he's a big deal, but pino's head bobbing is annoying and distracting.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    NIN isnt my favorite band of all time >.>

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    NIN isnt my favorite band of all time >.>

Get out. Now. Just kidding

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    chill...NIN is #2

Edit : and i know he was joking
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 08-07-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    NIN isn't in my top 5 anymore but this is the forum I frequent the most.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Who are top 5?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Who are top 5?
    Danzig
    Type O Negative
    Joy Division / New Order
    Gary Numan
    The Cure

Depeche Mode, NIN, etc

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^love all those except Danzig not that it's really my business,ha ha. Hoping to finally see the Cure in December

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That's an interesting observation. It's true for myself as well, although NIN may not even be in my Top 10 anymore (or maybe even Top 20 for that matter). I think it speaks volumes about how you get emotionally attached to a band you once loved as well as how great our community is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think the live version of Sanctified with Josh Eustis on bass was WAAAAYYY better than Pino playing on it. I realize Pino is good, but he overplayed everything and didn't fit.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    if your wondering what my top 5 is its
    Alice In Chains (I dont see a forum of that...the hell)
    NIN
    Deftones
    Tool
    ....this spot changes alot....sometimes its Chevelle, sometimes its Soundgarden, Korn....it changes alot but the other four have always been that way

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Part of me is glad that Dive and Slam turned out to be a hoax because that sounded like one stupid ass title.
    Last edited by Bachy; 08-08-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    ^Slam

stupid 10 characters

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    ^Slam

stupid 10 characters
    I'm an idiot. Thank you. But that's one thing with that title. Completely forgettable.