Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I actually regret getting the DualDisc versions of The Downward Spiral and With Teeth in spite of having my curiosity satisfied. I can't really complain though, as it was inevitable with the interest I have in Nine Inch Nails. On the bright side, I can still give them away as gifts, as I already have enough multiple copies of The Downward Spiral and With Teeth at home. The same also goes for Pretty Hate Machine in my case as well.
    why do you regret getting them? do you just not have a 5.1 system so they're unused?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It's not much of a reason, but it was mostly because I listen to the regular versions a lot more, and with The Downward Spiral, I was a lot more satisfied with the Deluxe Edition. And with Nine Inch Nails albums in general, I have more than enough copies of the same album, as I got into collecting some of the different versions of them. But as of now, I think I'd rather just stick to having one copy of each of them.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Does anybody else have dreams where they go to a record store and find a ton of NIN cds/bootlegs that don't exist or is that just me?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    Does anybody else have dreams where they go to a record store and find a ton of NIN cds/bootlegs that don't exist or is that just me?
    Recurring fantasies of a white label CD with "Tapeworm" written on I'm sure haunt us all

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    For all I know, I think I've probably found Impossible Pain and Bleedthrough, but woke up afterwards once I was reminded they don't exist. Well, sort of, it's just that in the real world, they're The Fragile and With Teeth.

As for Nine Inch Nails albums that actually exist, I keep seeing Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral and The Fragile in record stores. And in some dreams, maybe Fixed, Further Down The Spiral and Things Falling Apart would somehow appear. (Which I can see, since I've listened to those releases the most over the years.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don't see hardly any NIN in record stores..or should I say Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Member when there were record stores? Some had import sections and got my NIN imports that way. Now it's either Best Buy or Itunes.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've always found the reaction to Everything funny for some reason. However, I can still say with all certainty that it has always been a favorite song of mine from Hesitation Marks long before the backlash it received. It has even helped me appreciate Getting Smaller more.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Everything did grow on me after a while, the lyrics are great, the guitar is great. It's different, sure but I appreciate the positive vibes of it..positive doesn't always mean bad..though, I do prefer the sadder ones. lol.

A confession would be is that I have yet to listen to all of the more recent soundtrack stuff NIN has put out. Like, haven't heard much at all from TSN..I know, right? Lol..and have only heard a few tracks from TGWTDT. They are mostly all instrumentals on both albums, yes?
    Last edited by Omega; 09-16-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Everything did grow on me after a while, the lyrics are great, the guitar is great. It's different, sure but I appreciate the positive vibes of it..positive doesn't always mean bad..though, I do prefer the sadder ones. lol.

A confession would be is that I have yet to listen to all of the more recent soundtrack stuff NIN has put out. Like, haven't heard much at all from TSN..I know, right? Lol..and have only heard a few tracks from TGWTDT. They are mostly all instrumentals on both albums, yes?
    Yes. Aside from the one-off songs (Immigrant Song and such), think Ghosts I-IV, except with a more background presence. Music that won't disrupt your activities, but still lurks in the shadows, if that makes any sense.

Pretty sure there's vocalizations on some tracks, though, but not sure if you would consider that "non-instrumental".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Double post, sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is the NIN fangroup unanimously against Not So Pretty Now as they are with Everything or Getting Smaller? I couldn't remember, but as I've been listening to it more, I've found myself enjoying it quite a bit. The song has a very "jam" feel to it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misternegative View Post
    Is the NIN fangroup unanimously against Not So Pretty Now as they are with Everything or Getting Smaller? I couldn't remember, but as I've been listening to it more, I've found myself enjoying it quite a bit. The song has a very "jam" feel to it.
    Oh I totally love it. It has absolutely no place on any NIN album that currently exists and I think that's great, it's a weird little rock song that's a total anomaly in the catalog. The catchiness of it is just irresistible for me, even though I think that's a reason a lot don't care for it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Regarding NSP, I don't think so, but I wouldn't probably be the person to ask lol..I think it was pretty well received amongst some fans, amongst some ppl I have talked to..but just listened to less maybe...perhaps cause it's a lesser known track, idk. From what I've heard, ppl have generally said that "it's a pretty cool song". I didn't know anyone was against Getting Smaller..interesting, what's wrong with that one? That "jam" thing, as you say?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Regarding NSP, I don't think so, but I wouldn't probably be the person to ask lol..I think it was pretty well received amongst some fans, amongst some ppl I have talked to..but just listened to less maybe...perhaps cause it's a lesser known track, idk. From what I've heard, ppl have generally said that "it's a pretty cool song". I didn't know anyone was against Getting Smaller..interesting, what's wrong with that one? That "jam" thing, as you say?
    I'm not really sure what people find wrong with Getting Smaller, I've just noticed it seems to hold a bit of a bad taste in the mouth of NIN fans I've talked to, as well as some people around the board. But, the reaction, though not nearly as extreme, seems to be similar to Everything. I think the link between the three of them maybe is the catchiness that @kleiner352 mentioned, or I guess the overall pop (or in my words, "jam") feel of them. Maybe some NIN fans just don't like that sound?

I would understand a little bit if that is indeed the case, considering we're treated with very intricate and layered songs a majority of the time. But, I like those little anomalies, the songs that give you the sense of it being written in half an hour for fun. When digesting large concepts like TDS or YZ, songs like that can be a nice break.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I would be totally ok with NIN never touring or putting out another album. As much as I loved HM and Tension, if Trent decides to do other things, I would be 100 percent fine and at peace with it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I would be totally ok with NIN never touring or putting out another album. As much as I loved HM and Tension, if Trent decides to do other things, I would be 100 percent fine and at peace with it.
    I'd at least hope that in that scenario he still does tours with HTDA or whatever else he might get into. He and his crew just put on a show that is so above and beyond anything else anyone else is offering, it'd be a shame to miss out on that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You're not thinking about the tons of people who have yet to attend a show or experience NIN. Trent is as much inspired by those people as he is NIN fans. Hesitation Marks brought on some new fans and I'm sure the next album will do the same.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhedoesit View Post
    You're not thinking about the tons of people who have yet to attend a show or experience NIN. Trent is as much inspired by those people as he is NIN fans. Hesitation Marks brought on some new fans and I'm sure the next album will do the same.
    I know I am. I'll probably never get to see Bowie and I can live with it.

P.S I'm a big Bowie fan

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I want one more tour... That I will begin saving for NOW, so I can travel around with it. I think maybe one or two more rounds is probably all he will really have in him, if he is taking a few years off in between. At least at this intensity. I can see him doing more toned down stuff when he's older. But I really hope that he will know when to stop attempting this type of production. I think he's smart enough for that, though.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'd at least hope that in that scenario he still does tours with HTDA or whatever else he might get into. He and his crew just put on a show that is so above and beyond anything else anyone else is offering, it'd be a shame to miss out on that.
    I just imagine it being hard to do the same band for so long.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I want one more tour... That I will begin saving for NOW, so I can travel around with it. I think maybe one or two more rounds is probably all he will really have in him, if he is taking a few years off in between. At least at this intensity. I can see him doing more toned down stuff when he's older. But I really hope that he will know when to stop attempting this type of production. I think he's smart enough for that, though.
    He's definitely got a couple left in him. He's more energized than ever before. He basically hasn't stopped working since the last tour.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A new NIN album is pretty much inevitable with some shows around it. Trent said as much when interviewed in Mexico in April.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I just imagine it being hard to do the same band for so long.
    That's what Trent thought. Then came Hesitation Marks. He's too much of a living artist to just stop. Artists live for their art. Only businessman and salesman retire. Trent is neither of those things.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Doesn't have to be NIN though. His next project could be an polka band.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    NO! BAAAAD @icecream

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    NO! BAAAAD @icecream
    The more I think about it, the more Pretty Polka Machine sounds like the greatest album ever made.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Would have to kindly disagree with that, lol. Sounds like a Weird Al album. lol.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Bahahaha, it does. And now it doesn't seem appealing. Not that I don't like Weird Al, just thought it would be a good name for Trent's polka project. Happiness in Polka would be my second choice but polka in any title will remind me of Weird Al.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Oh I totally love it. It has absolutely no place on any NIN album that currently exists and I think that's great, it's a weird little rock song that's a total anomaly in the catalog. The catchiness of it is just irresistible for me, even though I think that's a reason a lot don't care for it.
    Maybe it's just because NSPN was given an actual semi-official release not long after I got into NIN, but I would have no problem with it on With Teeth.

The Beginning of the End is also catchy as hell — if not as gleefully unhinged as NSPN. Do people complain about that one too? (Anyone who does should be shot, drowned, poisoned, shot a few more times and sent to bed without supper.)

My NIN confession is that I've been thinking more about other bands since the tour ended. It's you weirdos that keep me coming back.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I've done Where is Everybody? and Underneath It All recently, but Ripe and Looking Forward To Joining You are the ones I've never decided to touch. The latter being an extremely personal thing to Trent kinda rubs me in a way where I just don't know if I want to listen knowing that. I'm all for personal meanings in songs, but sometimes it just can get me, if that makes any sense. I will infact listen to the album straight through now that I've brought this up. It's the only one of the main NIN albums I haven't done from top to bottom
    Riiiiiiiight...

So did you do that yet?