Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: NIN Confessions

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I listened to all of Ghosts and enjoyed/enjoy it all. And Quake, and parts of TGWTDT and liked a lot of that. Those aside, I’ve just never put the time aside to fully listen to and digest everything else. It’s kind of like knowing about a movie and knowing it’s good, but keep on putting off watching it. Kinda like what I did with the John Wick movies, but those I did eventually get around to watching.

I think so many things came out in succession that I just found it overwhelming and just kept on putting off listening to it all. Only listened to the first half of Together with regard to that Ghosts release. Haven’t reached Locusts yet.

I need to put a playlist together if all the soundtrack work and just digest it all over a couple of nights and familiarise myself properly. I remember Great Bird of Prey in particular. And all of Quake. Those are very much to my palette.
    I understand completely. There’s just so much of it now that, as blessed as we are to have such a prolific Trent, sometimes I wish he’d slow down so I don’t fall too far behind. It’s entirely selfish, haha! I try to keep up, but I still haven’t heard Patriot’s Day, Mid 90’s, Ghosts V & VI, Watchmen and Waves.

And soon there’ll be Soul, then Mank, then...

But as I said, we are blessed. Who knows; in a few years time you may suddenly latch on to them, and then you’ll find yourself with 10s of hours of new Reznor/Ross to discover. When the time is right.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I listened to all of Ghosts and enjoyed/enjoy it all. And Quake, and parts of TGWTDT and liked a lot of that. Those aside, I’ve just never put the time aside to fully listen to and digest everything else. It’s kind of like knowing about a movie and knowing it’s good, but keep on putting off watching it. Kinda like what I did with the John Wick movies, but those I did eventually get around to watching.

I think so many things came out in succession that I just found it overwhelming and just kept on putting off listening to it all. Only listened to the first half of Together with regard to that Ghosts release. Haven’t reached Locusts yet.
    My dude, try & ignore the feeling of being overwhelmed by the amount of soundtrack stuff they've put out, and just go & immediately throw on The Social Network soundtrack. It's all fully formed songs that actually go somewhere, not meandering fluff like this new Ghosts stuff that you can safely ignore if you want to. The Social Network stuff is the strongest in most people's opinions, and is what kickstarted this whole push ever since. It's perfect for the fall as well.

From there, I would bang out Mid90's, b/c it's only 4 songs and it's a departure from what you'd expect from them. Much brighter.

Skip Patriots Day & Vietnam War for now. Patriots Day isn't vital, and Vietnam War is just massive so hold off. When you're ready, jump into Watchmen, one volume at a time. Almost certainly their best stuff other than Social Network. Again, fully formed songs that you can digest, as opposed to soundscapes like Bird Box or this new Ghosts stuff.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Agreed. For me the Social Network was the best intro to the score stuff.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I've got this massive, ever-expanding playlist of TR/AR/NIN score work that just grows with time as they keep releasing more instrumental stuff. I kicked out Immigrant Song and Is your Love Strong Enough, but A Minute To Breathe is in there somewhere because it feels like it belongs. Added Ghosts V and VI because they're widely considered kin to the soundtrack material (and I'm convinced VI actually is a certain soundtrack that was supposedly shelved) so now it's like an entire day of music that I just play whenever it suits me, which is very often..

It's like I'm always listening to their last decade of score work, on shuffle, and it's incredible how dynamic it is when played at random. I play it at night when I'm sleeping and I can hear it in my dreams and it's wild, like a soundtrack for day dreams and night dreams and just life in general these days..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Humiliated myself at Lights in the Sky Concert

I misheard the lyrics to Survivalism. I thought, "all a part of this great nation," was "I am proud of this great nation." (I didn't know I was autistic with an auditory processing disorder at the time, which explains a whole hell of a lot.) I assumed the line was sarcastic/facetious, which is how I reasoned out why that lyric would be a part of the song.

When the time came at the concert, I belted out, "I am proud of this great nation," and Reznor HEARD me. I received the most intense, "Go screw yourself," look right there on the spot. It was overt enough that everyone around me was giving me the stank eye, too. He later vented about it on a blog or forum somewhere, thinking I was a heckler. Absolutely humiliating.