Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Iraq War?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Our sales guy at the AT&T store last night is Armenian Christian and he and his whole family is from Iraq. Luckily, they all got out as little as three years ago. He said his uncle used to work for Saddam Hussein and Hussein was a jerk but at least Hussein protected the Christians (Assyrians and Armenians); this new ISIS group are killing Christians, beheading them and shit. The Christians can't get out fast enough. He was wondering why the US wouldn't help. He was a cute kid, I said, "honey, I don't think we have enough troops to stop that shit, I sure wish we could stop it." I asked him what he thought would solve the whole thing. He said he thought maybe if Russia got involved. Hell, Russia was already involved in the Middle East, before, and that didn't work out too well, they ain't too excited about doing that shit again.

This guy highly recommended this flick, said it's really true:

Last edited by allegro; 06-29-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    You cannot stop wars fought in the name of religion. It's been like that forever and there's no end in sight.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    There SHOULD be a warning with this movie...it's kind of hard to watch.
    I realized that when i went back and showed it to my girl...she was kind of like "Jesus, i didn't need to know all that shit!"
    fuck that. Does she pay taxes? If yes, then she sure as hell should know exactly what they are being used for.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    You cannot stop wars fought in the name of religion. It's been like that forever and there's no end in sight.
    right, but if you are on the other end of an attack (aka the war has been brought to you), you sure as fuck need to fight back. It doesn't matter if they are attacking you over religious reasons. Not that the US has been in that position in a very long time.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

This guy highly recommended this flick, said it's really true:

I saw this movie a while ago. Uday Hussein was a truly disgusting, despicable human being but there are doubts about the guy who wrote the book from which this is adapted. Still, it's terrifying to think that someone like this had so much power.

On a purely cinematic side, Dominic Cooper is absolutely fantastic in this dual role.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I saw this movie a while ago. Uday Hussein was a truly disgusting, despicable human being but there are doubts about the guy who wrote the book from which this is adapted. Still, it's terrifying to think that someone like this had so much power.

On a purely cinematic side, Dominic Cooper is absolutely fantastic in this dual role.
    It's also sad to see how Iraq has been completely destroyed since then.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    "President Obama has authorized another 200 U.S. troops to secure the American Embassy in Iraq as well as Baghdad’s international airport, bringing the total U.S. deployments to Iraq this month to 775."

And that's just the ones we know about, campers.
    I have (and have had) a really bad feeling that this whole thing is going to spiral WAY out of control.

From drones to "advisors" to combat ready troops.
    I'm afraid it's on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-authorizes-200-more-troops-for-iraq/2014/06/30/191fb816-009a-11e4-8572-4b1b969b6322_story.html

Last edited by elevenism; 07-01-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wait, what? Canada is the top exporter? I live in Canada! Shouldn't I have several highly priced luxury cars that I drive like a maniac....??!! And if Canada has so much petrol/oil then why the fuck am I paying out the ass to fill up my car??

Toronto's gas price (as of this morning) is currently $1.39/L ($4.773/gal)

I'd love a hybrid or all electric car, but they are ripping us off there too. >$30,000 for a small car.... $45,000 for what I'd want.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Wait, what? Canada is the top exporter? I live in Canada! Shouldn't I have several highly priced luxury cars that I drive like a maniac....??!! And if Canada has so much petrol/oil then why the fuck am I paying out the ass to fill up my car??

Toronto's gas price (as of this morning) is currently $1.39/L ($4.773/gal)
    A. JESUS...that's why i've always been a bus/train guy in dallas and
    B. The only thing i can figure is that maybe Canada taxes the gas as part of an environmental concern?
    I don't know, you're right...look at Dubai and the UAE. You guys should be rolling in the dough up there and pouring oil on your cereal!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I fucking knew it.
    Obama Authorizes 'Targeted' Airstrikes Against ISIS in Iraq

I don't know what in the hell the answer is in Iraq.
    This comment is very unusual coming from me, but i swear, it seems like SOMEONE is going to have to occupy Iraq to keep the peace.
    It's turning into the next Gaza and it breaks my fucking pacifist liberal bleeding heart.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Saddam was an asshole but he ruled the place with an iron fist and kept things in line. The minute W and his idiots took him out, this was bound to happen. Forever. Until the next Saddam takes over.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Saddam was an asshole but he ruled the place with an iron fist and kept things in line. The minute W and his idiots took him out, this was bound to happen. Forever. Until the next Saddam takes over.
    these are hard things to say, but i tend to agree.
    sigh.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yup.

What's going on now is the direct result of the previous administration and at this point there are no good answers.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I wish I hadn't looked at those photos of the massacre currently happening in Iraq.
    They're decapitating babies and crucifying people. It's maybe the most disturbing thing I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    those Isis people are killing non-Muslims. I wouldn't look at the vid and photos circulating, now I'm glad I didn't.

Saddam at least protected the Christians (Assyrians), now they're being slaughtered.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-10-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The group that Isis is subjecting to genocidal violence are a Shiite sect called the Yezidi. Their branch of religion pre-dates any modern form of Islam or Christianity by thousands of years. They're closer to Zoroastrians than Christians.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The group that Isis is subjecting to genocidal violence are a Shiite sect called the Yezidi. Their branch of religion pre-dates any modern form of Islam or Christianity by thousands of years. They're closer to Zoroastrians than Christians.
    I know Assyrians here in Chicago

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    They're being victimized too, certainly, but it's not just one group Isis is targeting.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    They're being victimized too, certainly, but it's not just one group Isis is targeting.
    I didn't say it was, did I? I said Saddam protected the Assyrians.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    ISIS has also captured the Mosul Dam... which, if it is not properly maintained (or if it is deliberately destroyed), could create a 60+ ft wave that could immediately kill hundreds of thousands of people. The fallout would also restrict access to clean water and power to millions.

Apparently this dam was already in a state of disrepair that requires constant upkeep to maintain it. They don't even need to intentionally blow it up.

ISIS is evil. They're cutting the heads of babies and small children in front of their parents, and putting them on spikes for public display. Now they're directly threatening the lives of potentially millions of people. What are they doing this for? What do they hope to achieve?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    THis is fucking terrible.
    I'm a pacifist, but THIS is where we step in, damnit.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I know that this is more than religion, but religion facilitates this.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It's just funny that nobody cares about atrocities unless there is a lot of money on the line and crazy terrorists are tweeting about it....#AfricaIsWorse

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    There isn't money on the line for us. yes there are equally fucked up places but we'd already created this mess.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @allegro , didn't we arm the Sunni in 2003, and later arm the Shiites, or vice-versa?
    It was some insanity like that.
    I really hope and pray that Obama can handle this better than W and Co did.
    @Jinsai , i tend to agree with you. Religion has facilitated a RIDICULOUS amount of bloodshed and will continue to do so. Muslims argue about which Caliphs were legitimate, right? As far as i can tell, they are about as different as Catholics and Protestants...and people have been willing to die for that too.
    I identify as christian as you know, but not the kind who takes the bible literally or believes the earth is young or thinks we are going to be "raptured."
    It's people who...how do i put this...people who believe everything about their religions' text is literal and then misinterpret some of the text to suggest that they kill and die over it.
    Actually, you don't have to misinterpret it...look at some of the crazy shit in exodus and leviticus. One verse that was responsible for a LOT of bloodshed was a verse that instructed jews and christians to, if they found a city in which another god was worshiped, kill all men, women, children and animals and then burn the motherfucker down.
    And a lot of people did just that. Many christians will have you believe that WAY more of them were martyred than actually were and conveniently leave out the part where we have killed literally millions of people.
    Sigh. I am ashamed of that part of our history.
    Religion, in the wrong hands, is a VERY dangerous thing.
    I haven't watched your video yet, i will watch it after i take a shower.

If you get a chance, check out this site.
    Acharya S. is a fascinating author, thinker and speaker who has popularized the term and idea of "astrotheology," which is the belief that all religions ultimately stem from the sun, moon and stars. She regularly sheds light on atrocities committed in the name of god,

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    ISIS released a video which, if authentic, shows the beheading of an American journalist.
    I just watched the thing and I'm fucking boiling on the inside. I would drop a nuke on these fuckers right now.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Is that it? Is POTUS's speech the announcement of the third Iraq war?
    He's sending more "advisers" on the ground, expending airstrikes. Sure sounds like a new war.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't think it will, it will just end up a cold war style semi-proxy conflict. Support will haemorrage further when kurdish and iraqi forces begin committing revenge atrocities (just wait)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Damn I love Jon Stewart. That bit was hilarious.