Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: metaphysics and philosophy

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Okay, i'm gonna throw this out there. I've always been REALLY good at astral projection on THIS plane...but i'm interested...HIGHLY interested in merkaba. I've been trying SO fucking hard but i can't break out of this dimension/plane.
    My jr high / high school friend Julie used to claim that she could astral project herself into the kitchen and look around in the fridge and stuff, LOL.

I've personally never bought astral projection. Having studied a lot of neurology, I think our minds are really powerful; powerful enough to convince ourselves that we're doing shit that we're not really doing. But I think this may drift this way the fuck off this track, I dunno how the fuck you're gonna have this catch-all topic. I've never considered astral projection as part of the "occult" and I've never considered the "occult" as being anything near metaphysics or philosophy. Astral projection would fit more into "paranormal" like mental telepathy and ghosts.

I think we had an occult thread, here, once, and it was was mostly people poking fun at it. Same with the astrology thread, there are way too many scary smart MENSA nerds in forums (you think YOU'RE smart, LOL) to have serious astrology or occult discussions. They just sit there like stinky wet turds.

But, string theory, quantum mechanics, etc., that's all related to cosmology and metaphysics, Plato's forms, all that stuff.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Not necessarily pointing at you, but lots of online people are like agnostic sheep who think that something like "Yoga" fits into some kind of organized religion that violates the agnostic code, so they won't even learn anything new.
    I'm totally not like that. I'm down with yoga.

So, if we are gonna talk about spirituality, then getting acupuncture is spiritual. So is going to the Integratron.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I'm totally not like that. I'm down with yoga.

So, if we are gonna talk about spirituality, then getting acupuncture is spiritual. So is going to the Integratron.
    No, I think acupuncture is something that medicine now considers "integrative medicine." Our big healthcare affiliate here in Chicago has an integrative medicine component and lots of insurance carriers even cover acupuncture, now.

I think the original poster accidentally named this thread "spirituality" when he meant to name it "philosophy and metaphysics."
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    No, I think acupuncture is something that medicine now considers "integrative medicine." Our big healthcare affiliate here in Chicago has an integrative medicine component and lots of insurance carriers even cover acupuncture, now.

I think the original poster accidentally named this thread "spirituality" when he meant to name if "philosophy and metaphysics."
    Gotcha.

My HMO denied me acupuncture and deemed it unnecessary.

Back on topic....

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Gotcha.

My HMO denied me acupuncture and deemed it unnecessary.

Back on topic....
    Key word: HMO.

Most insurance plans don't cover chiropractors or massage therapists, either.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-18-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I got really good at lucid dreaming and that's pretty much when I realized what you pointed out Allegro- our minds are powerful. I've had semi lucid dreams where I hear music, totally original music, clear as light and I control it somewhat through my "feelings". I never remember the tunes when I fully wake up though. I've had this same vividness with recreating my room and thinking I'm stepping out of my body. I have had moments where I looked at myself sleeping in bed. Again, I'm pretty sure this was all really cool brain imagination. Edit- I think I dreamed in these spiritual ways because that's the stuff that's on my mind at the time. If I lived in the middle ages, maybe my lucid dreams would involve more demons or angels.
    Speaking of demons, once I was trying to "wake up" and instead I imagined looking up from my bed, thinking I was unable to move and seeing a mechanical spider thing with a cat head. (My cat was probably sleeping with me that night.) That was creepy.
    Last edited by halloween; 06-18-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I agree with allegro's suggestion to rename this thread. I knew my post was best described by 'metaphysics' but still posted because allegro said it was ok ;-) (at #15)

@ elevenism: The extent to which wonder about the beginning of it all even goes beyond God. I even wonder how, if there is a God, it came into being. A God merely moves the problem to a different place. I'm a very scientifically trained mind, but there is something our current science can't explain and our logical capabilities don't have an answer for. And by current science I don't mean questions like "What's the weight of the Higgs boson" but more the whole universe - maybe the "universe" is just part of something even bigger. Cosmology can only theoreticize that there might be parallel universes or that there are more than four dimensions, but that these other dimensions are .... I don't know, it's possible to describe it mathematically and in language but I don't know what it means.... you can move in these other dimensions but stay at the same place in ordinary space and time. Maybe this is what souls do.... I have often wondered how people, when they're dead or dying, have out-of-body experiences, they can see things around them.... with closed eyes. Maybe souls move in another dimension away from the body.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    ok @allegro , Philosophy and Metaphysics?
    that works for me. i will pm leviathant.

I want to keep this thread going, too, because for some reason, i've always felt that we as a group are a fairly intelligent bunch.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    ok @allegro , Philosophy and Metaphysics?
    Looks awesome!!!!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    You're welcome! I got the Mark Epstein info from this book, I highly recommend it!

Also, when I was about 14 years old, I read this book and it changed my view of life. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it; tell me what you think.
    So I the 10% book finally showed up in my bookmooch list, haha. Hopefully they'll agree to send it to me and I'll get to read it. I have to say, meditation recently has been so important to me because ever since I got off birth control, I've noticed my hormonal shifts just shatter my mind in terms of focus and scattered thoughts.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    I knew we had a philosophy thread around here somewhere.

It was a delight to see this pop up on my dashboard today:

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    @allegate @elevenism - what is your opinion of this?

Totally unrelated observation: the guy being interviewed keeps reminding me of Ted Bundy in his final interview when he closes he eyes and squints really hard, lol. Is it just me?