Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Underworld

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    convenient bump, started listening to "Everything, Everything" again this week. Such a great DVD too.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Has this been pointed out before?

Underworld - Big Meat Show (@ 1:20)

Jago - I'm Going To Go (@ 1:15)
    Interesting, but I think it's just coincidence. The riff is slightly different too. UW's goes back down at the end, whereas Jago's rises all the way through the end.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Interesting, but I think it's just coincidence. The riff is slightly different too. UW's goes back down at the end, whereas Jago's rises all the way through the end.
    It's definitely not a sample, I was just wondering if perhaps the song inspired that piano part. The riff does alternate up and down; it's easier to pick out in the Frankie Knuckles Remix:

Thanks for the other set of ears.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Well, we know they love Frankie, so in that case, it could certainly have been an influence/homage.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    UNDERWORLD & IGGY POP
    BELLS & CIRCLES

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Damn. Just watching a live stream of the guys at BBC Biggest Weekender in Belfast, they played that Iggy Pop collab earlier on didn't realise it was brand new.

This live stream is absolutely spot on though and makes me want to see them live.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Damn. Just watching a live stream of the guys at BBC Biggest Weekender in Belfast, they played that Iggy Pop collab earlier on didn't realise it was brand new.

This live stream is absolutely spot on though and makes me want to see them live.
    Apparently, they've also played "And I Will Kiss" from Isles Of Wonder (2012 Olympics) the past two gigs.
    Last edited by Jon; 05-27-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: 2 hours later...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Apparently, they've also played "And I Will Kiss" from Isles Of Wonder (2012 Olympics) the past two gigs.
    New tune with Iggy is great. Can’t wait till they drop the new album!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    this group are one of my favourites ever...i went on a listening spree with this band recently, so much of their material is extremely intense and euphoric,always found their music had a sort of deeply druggy vibe. its amazing to find out all the band members were teetotal!
    their music was in the film Trainspotting I don't know if that's why I associate their music with drugs, but their 90s material has a certain specific drug vibe its weird.
    some of the best produced electronic music ever really smooth sound has not dated an inch

Dubnobass...is my favourite, I really like something they did about a decade ago too called the Riverun Project, not many people have heard of.
    one of those bands that has been around for decades (like Wire) that is still really consistent.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Drift Episode 1

DRIFT EPISODE 1 out now!

24 bit available:
    https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/dr.../pfx77esbf6j8b

Includes full longer versions tracks featured in the videos.

Episode 2 coming in January 2019!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    DRIFT EP2

Part 1 - Appleshine

Part 2 - Molehill

Part 3 - Threat Of Rain

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Anyone here pick up the new release DRIFT EPISODE 2 ATOM???

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Love me some underworld.

My favorite song is Boy, Boy, Boy. It was the soundtrack to the one lost summer I had, addicted to something I'm not very proud of.
    It brings back orgasmic memories.

Last edited by elevenism; 03-09-2019 at 04:12 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It was the soundtrack to the one lost summer I had addicted to something I'm not very proud of.
    It brings back orgasmic memories.
    Been there.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @elevenism

Apparently the initial downloads of Drift Episode 2 ATOM had an issue with the track Soniamode. The master is loud, noisy, and almost blown out. The band was made aware and an updated, fixed version was being sent out to digital stores. Many stores, but not all, have the corrected audio up now and you must re-download your purchase. Sadly it seems all of the illegal download sites are passing around the original version with mastering issue. The copy I bought has the issue and it seems 7Digital is being daft about the whole situation. I hope they get a fix soon cuz I'm waiting to listen to the new EP.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Twist (Music Bank Jam Take 7)

Stream: https://soundcloud.com/underworld/tw...take-7-jam-r-2

Download: https://show.co/y9vMqr1

“I was there… I’m trying to cast my mind back to 2005 and the sessions at Music Bank by the railway tracks in SE1. I can’t remember why we were there… rehearsal for upcoming gigs perhaps or were we trying to capture some of the tracks from 100 Days Off in their live shape? What I do remember was we recorded loads of versions of Twist live, straight off Rick’s Midas H1000 into an 8-track portadrive.

Listening to them today they range from reconstructed live jams hardly recognisable as the original album version to faithful renditions of the aforementioned track or long takes that rise and fall over the course of 15 minutes or more, overdubbed with wild guitar solos. The version you are listening to here falls into the last category and is pretty close to the way it was played live at the time; maybe slightly longer than you’ve heard it performed unless you were in the audience at one of those special nights where Karl was channelling the spirit of Gregg Allman or Dennis Coffey and Rick just didn’t want the music to end.” – Steve Hall

Last edited by Jon; 03-15-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: artwork

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Underworld fans!

They have announced a new album DRIFT SONGS, a single disc/2LP made up of select DRIFT tracks...

OR...

The DRIFT SONGS 6CD boxset announced!

This all-encompassing box-set features the music, visuals and text pieces released throughout the entire 52-week DRIFT Series, across 6 CDs including the DRIFT SONGS album, 1 Blu-ray Disc and art-book.

Signed and numbered

Ships November 2019 TBC. An HD-Audio Digital Download of the DRIFT SONGS album will delivered to your inbox day of release of the album.

https://store.underworldlive.com/ind...&menu=Releases

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Drift Episode 4 begins!

Drift Ep. 4 Pt. 1 - Listen To Their No

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    DRIFT SERIES 1

16 BIT - £25.49
    24 BIT - £35.99
    https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/dr.../m1akhd2kwvuvb

DRIFT SERIES 1 SAMPLER EDITION

16 BIT - £11.99
    24 BIT - £16.49
    https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/dr.../lzlb0j06uc7ba

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Just getting around to another listen of the 2019 material to see what sticks: 12 hours and 45 minutes is a crazy feat and there's plans to continue this another year.

I have a soft spot for the material with The Necks. The nod to free/spiritual jazz (Impulse! Records: Coltrane(s), Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra) is appreciated, and works well from an Underworld longform ambient track standpoint.

I'm aware that there are CD, Digital, and Video/Film versions of the Drift material. Is there any difference between the "full" tracks with several seconds variation between the different formats? For instance, The Necks material simplified looks like this:

Altitude Dub Continuum (31:10)
    Appleshine Continuum (47:21)
    Appleshine Continuum [Edit] (34:14)
    A Very Silent Way (10:33)
    A Very Silent Way [Edit] (5:08)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just getting around to another listen of the 2019 material to see what sticks: 12 hours and 45 minutes is a crazy feat and there's plans to continue this another year.

I have a soft spot for the material with The Necks. The nod to free/spiritual jazz (Impulse! Records: Coltrane(s), Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra) is appreciated, and works well from an Underworld longform ambient track standpoint.

I'm aware that there are CD, Digital, and Video/Film versions of the Drift material. Is there any difference between the "full" tracks with several seconds variation between the different formats? For instance, The Necks material simplified looks like this:

Altitude Dub Continuum (31:10)
    Appleshine Continuum (47:21)
    Appleshine Continuum [Edit] (34:14)
    A Very Silent Way (10:33)
    A Very Silent Way [Edit] (5:08)
    I find the mastering sounds different between the individual episode releases and the Drift Series set. Some of the video/film versions are different versions, sometimes different mixes, different sounds, etc. For instance, the video version/free download of Mile Bush Pride is 2:51 long and has a whole second section not the EP version or Drift Series set. It gets complicated with all the different versions from releases.

I was hoping to get my hands on the hi-res tracks from the Blu-ray to go with my EPs and Drift Series 1 digital.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I wish they’d re-release those cool digital Riverrun series 12”’s (JAL to Toyko, Playpig etc).

This was back when I would settle for the mp3 version and jt was available on WAV as well.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I find the mastering sounds different between the individual episode releases and the Drift Series set. Some of the video/film versions are different versions, sometimes different mixes, different sounds, etc. For instance, the video version/free download of Mile Bush Pride is 2:51 long and has a whole second section not the EP version or Drift Series set. It gets complicated with all the different versions from releases.

I was hoping to get my hands on the hi-res tracks from the Blu-ray to go with my EPs and Drift Series 1 digital.
    Same. I haven't bought the set yet, since I already own the digital version twice. To me, though, the book alone is worth the $78.

The mix differences, at least for The Necks material, stand out instantly. CD6 of the box set is mixed like a jazz/live recording, and the single/episode versions are mixed much more "up front" and similar to other Underworld releases.

Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    I wish they’d re-release those cool digital Riverrun series 12”’s (JAL to Toyko, Playpig etc).

This was back when I would settle for the mp3 version and jt was available on WAV as well.
    PM'ed. I have the original purchases of JAL To Tokyo, Peggy Sussed, Play Pig 1, Play Pig 2, and Vanilla Monkey in aiff. Lenny Penne (High Society Mix) is in mp3.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Underworld announced they will be playing shows in North America and Canada this year! Dates to be announced.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post

Yea man! Been bugging UW thru their social media. 24 bit hi-res remasters would be lovely of the Riverrun Series. They may decide to make it part of the Oblivion With Bells boxset, though I think it deserves to stand on its own. Wonder if we'll finally get that A Hundred Days Off boxset this year that they teased the other year. I know they put the boxset reissues on hold for Drift.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Damn... They are playing Movement Fest in Detroit!!!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Damn... They are playing Movement Fest in Detroit!!!
    More shows to come in North America/Canada too

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    More shows to come in North America/Canada too
    This is true. But Movement is like my Christmas (and usually my birthday weekend). Before I moved away from Detroit, I would go to Movement every single year. I pretty much listened to music for one week straight. Acts like Kraftwerk, Orbital and Underworld I've always wanted to see there. It's happened a few times, and I am stoked to finally see them on the bill.

They play on my birthday, so I think I am going back to Detroit for this. If you love electronic music and are in the states, it's one of the cheapest festivals and the afterparties are the best part. Some days I would just be at afters/day parties and not even go to the festival cause the lineups were so staked. Highly recommended.

Ok... Done with my rant.