Thread: Nine Inch Nails lyrics that describe your life and mood in general.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caro View Post
    Today I'm just like...

So impressed with all you do, tried so hard to be like you.

No one's heard a single word I've said. They don't sound as good outside my head.
    Why do you get all the love in the world?

Where is everybody?
    who are you impressed with? I've always loved that line and wondered who that song was directed to. I think I've landed on, like most of the fragile, an idealized version of himself

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Your question is very interesting. I've always had that doubt. Sometimes I think Trent is really singing to another person, and sometimes I think like you. Both things make perfect sense to me. But I guess I tend to assume it's the former case, since "The Fragile" is not only about trying to save yourself alone, but also admitting that you as a human being need other people in your life.

In my case, it's just a girl I know. She is not my friend, and I bet she doesn't think about me at all. I'm a woman as well, and I see in her everything I wish I were. I know this is bad, I shouldn't feel it. How do I get rid of this horrible feeling?
    ah, interesting. is wanting to be that person a sexual thing? that happened to me once, about another guy -- I'm not (very) gay (at least, not for normal dudes (long story)), but looking back, it was pretty clear that my projection had sort of weird sexual undertones.

I think "Somewhat Damaged" works pretty well to himself -- the vision of who he wants to be, who he thinks he is, is who is singing to. but as he tries to live that life, he finds that vision has betrayed him; he's tucked the real him deep inside -- under this shell ("in the back, off the side, and far away / is a place, where I hide and where I stay") -- and he finds that that idealized vision was not there when he needed it and didn't have the answers he needed = "and where were you?" ... And hence begins the album...

EDIT: as a side note, thanks for giving me a reason to listen to this song just now... one of NIN's best...
    Last edited by screwdriver; 06-25-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    You're more than welcome!

I see your point. This is a very interesting interpretation. As I said before, I never know exactly what to think about it. What do you think about "The Fragile" (the song)? I have the same doubt as regards this one. Is Trent singing to another person, connecting and empathizing with another human being (something that doesn't happen at all in TDS)? Is he singing it to himself?

Well, it's not sexual. It's pure envy. It's a horrible feeling, and I hate myself for it. I am going to tell you the truth: she's been with my best friend for 10 years.
    Yes, I've been in love with my best friend for almost 10 years. I guess that explains everything, right?
    dude, whatever you think love is -- love is not that! you're not in love, you're just obsessed. love is an act, not a state of being. and to quote another song, "love is not enough" ;-)

but, other than that -- that really sucks :-/ sorry to hear about it. I'm sure anything I could say you've already thought of / heard a million times...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    You're right. I'm working on that. Maybe I just idealize both of them because I don't love myself as much as I should? I don't know. This could be insecurity.
    To keep quoting songs, "I've got to let go!".
    Thanks for your empathy. I've never talked about this to anyone, because I know it's pathetic.
    without knowing anything about you and only narcissistically looking at myself, I would say that the times I've been most obsessed with people wasn't because I didn't love myself -- it was almost the opposite. I didn't think I needed to work on me, to invest in me, because I thought that the other person could fill what was missing in me -- I didn't realize that I was the only one who could do that

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Once again, you're right. Thank you very much for talking to me and trying to help me.
    I always say people are responsible for their own lives and shouldn't expect others to "save" them. Of course they may help you, but you've got to be determined to be a better person and work on it yourself. I guess deep inside I'm just being hypocritical here and not acting this way.
    This friend I mentioned before, I love him honestly. I want him to be happy and if he won't be happy with me, it's OK. But still, there are times when I look at them and think: "Why? Why her? Why can't I be as good as her?". I know this is very, very silly. I'm so ashamed for telling you this!
    dude, that's not silly at all -- that's totally fair! but that should be a starting point, not a crutch for 10 years! but I don't mean to beat up on you. but, um, let it go -- you would never, ever want to be with someone who it took 10 years to realize they want to be with you, anyway. its trite but true...

anywho... "I'm just trying to find my way / oh dear lord, hear my prayer"