Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 301

Thread: Europe lurches to the Right

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,299
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    There's a new BBC documentary "The Rise of the Right in Europe": (haven't seen yet)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...ight-in-europe

    "A wave of far-right politics is sweeping Europe, with parties promising to smash the ruling elite, end migration and re-shape the EU. With elections just days away the Jean Mackenzie travels across the continent to find out why the Right is on the rise, meeting those celebrating its success, and those fighting to stop it. Could Europe, as we know it, be about to change?"
    The BBC have got a cheek the amount of coverage they give to Nigel Farage

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,433
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I don't understand why they are given him so much air time! Only thing i can think of is they want the ratings....is that a reason for the BBC?

    I do love however that the weapon of choice against these twats is Milkshakes, and they are TERRIFIED of them

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,854
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post

    I do love however that the weapon of choice against these twats is Milkshakes, and they are TERRIFIED of them
    In case anyone missed the headlines LOL

    https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdo...-brexit-2019-5

  4. #274
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,433
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    In case anyone missed the headlines LOL

    https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdo...-brexit-2019-5
    What makes it funnier is Burger King then tweeted out they still sold Milkshakes, that lead to some far-right try hards to start accusing them of promoting violence

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,433
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    *UPDATE*

    Slimey twat Nigel Farage has been hit with a Milkshake, i repeat he has been successfully hit with a milkshake, VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

    Edit : loads of people now chiming in this has crossed the line...fuck off. Remember when Bush got a shoe thrown at him?! I say fucking go to town on these twats with food, spoiled preferably, to show how fucked off we are. BRING OUT THE TOMATOES!
    Last edited by Haysey; 05-20-2019 at 08:26 AM.

  6. #276
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,476
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I like this one:


  7. #277
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,299
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    *UPDATE*

    Slimey twat Nigel Farage has been hit with a Milkshake, i repeat he has been successfully hit with a milkshake, VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

    Edit : loads of people now chiming in this has crossed the line...fuck off. Remember when Bush got a shoe thrown at him?! I say fucking go to town on these twats with food, spoiled preferably, to show how fucked off we are. BRING OUT THE TOMATOES!
    Fantastic, I heard McDonalds in Edinburgh had been told by the police to stop selling milkshakes while Farage is in town - I suppose they have to uphold the law even for far right fascists

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,433
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I like this one:

    Fun fact, it's illigeal to slap someone with a wet fish in the UK. Luckily those don't look wet SLAP AWAY!

  9. #279
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,299
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    I just hope this stuff doesn’t turn Farage into a milkshake martyr

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,433
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Latest news, Farage is refusing to leave a bus because there are 3 people outside holding milkshakes

    I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP I SWEAR!

  11. #281
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,299
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Latest news, Farage is refusing to leave a bus because there are 3 people outside holding milkshakes

    I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP I SWEAR!
    Well I just voted Lib Dem - we won’t know the results till Sunday though which I’m quite glad about as I’ll enjoy most of the weekend without suffering an obnoxious Farage victory.

    i do not want to live in a country with Michael Gove as prime minister and he isn’t even the worst option! I hope Corbyn does instigate a vote of no confidence in whoever wins but what I really want is for Tom Watson to become the labour leader, I think he’s much more inspirational than Jeremy Corbyn, Watson’s speech dissing Theresa May was great
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-26-2019 at 02:17 AM.

  12. #282
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Remember when Bush got a shoe thrown at him?!
    Yes. I also remember people being assassinated. So? What kind of argument is that?

    Instead of trying to excuse shitty behaviour, try not support and exercise them. I'm not even annoyed by the fact that there are some shitty people out there, but it's always ridiculous when someone acts like [a shitty person], and tries to excuse themselves with the good old "well, they deserved it, because I think so, and I am obviously morally superior, because I said so".

  13. #283
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,816
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Money and public shame are the only things that politicians respond to. I say let the milkshakes flow freely.

  14. #284
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Money and public shame are the only things that politicians respond to.
    Not in a democracy. In a democracy, if you disagree with someone, you cast your vote against them. If someone is highly unpopular, they will be voted out, and if someone remains popular, a barrage of milkshakes won't (and shouldn't) stop them.

    Public shame is like a childish response to a serious topic. Not only it doesn't work, it makes you look very similar if not as bad as the one you are trying to shame.

  15. #285
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,816
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Public shame is like a childish response to a serious topic.
    If these guys are going to act like clowns, then they deserve to get treated like clowns.

    And yes, public shaming works. There's nothing that most politicians want more than to be seen as powerful rulers rather than pubic servants. Popping that particular bubble is not only right, but essential.

  16. #286
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So millenial revolutionaires use milk-shakes as weapons? My god, what a bunch of pussies. Europe is a total mess. May Allah protect them. lol.

  17. #287
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    551
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    im struggling to make sense of the results, it seems the far right/left populists are mixed about the results, and so are the established centrists.

    Marine Le Pen beat Macron, which is a symbolic blow, however she is not even talking about France leaving the EU anymore, she is siding with the Italian populists on a remain and reform type agenda.its not about breaking up the EU its about reforming it.
    the UK will be back in the EU soon i bet you, all polls show a 10 percent lead for remaining, even if it does leave, (which is uncertain) the remain support is too high, they will implement another referendum and they will come back.
    unless they reform the British Empire !!!!! (which i honestly sometimes think Farage thinks is possible) i just have never ever ever seen a situation where the UK is better off leaving the EU..even if they formed some union with Australia, Canada and New Zealand, it would not match the 500 million people market in Europe. i think people are waking up to it all.

  18. #288
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,433
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Yes. I also remember people being assassinated. So? What kind of argument is that?

    Instead of trying to excuse shitty behaviour, try not support and exercise them. I'm not even annoyed by the fact that there are some shitty people out there, but it's always ridiculous when someone acts like [a shitty person], and tries to excuse themselves with the good old "well, they deserved it, because I think so, and I am obviously morally superior, because I said so".
    Considering how much violence these guys insight over here, a couple of milkshakes is fucking fine!

  19. #289
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,433
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Well I just voted Lib Dem - we won’t know the results till Sunday though which I’m quite glad about as I’ll enjoy most of the weekend without suffering an obnoxious Farage victory.

    i do not want to live in a country with Michael Gove as prime minister and he isn’t even the worst option! I hope Corbyn does instigate a vote of no confidence in whoever wins but what I really want is for Tom Watson to become the labour leader, I think he’s much more inspirational than Jeremy Corbyn, Watson’s speech dissing Theresa May was great
    The results were such a mixed bag of "oh that's good...oh that's fucking awful". I ended up going Green in the end, but i really do fear what'll happen next...the list of Tory leadership candidates is like a pick an mix of shit, piss, acid, coffee chocolate!

  20. #290
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,299
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    The results were such a mixed bag of "oh that's good...oh that's fucking awful". I ended up going Green in the end, but i really do fear what'll happen next...the list of Tory leadership candidates is like a pick an mix of shit, piss, acid, coffee chocolate!
    I agree, I ended up turning off my phone news service because the endless parade of gloating Farage or Gove joins leadership bid stories make me too depressed!

  21. #291
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    404
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    In yesterday's parliamentary elections in Greece, the neo-nazi Golden Dawn party barely didn't make it into the parliament for the first time since 2012 and the three parliamentary elections that took place since, so I guess that's a bit of good news. We did get another extreme nationalist/traditionalist/populist party in their place, but again only barely (3.7% of votes, where 3% is the limit to get into the parliament), but at least they're not murdering bastards (that we know of anyway).
    Last edited by Alexandros; 07-08-2019 at 10:48 AM.

  22. #292
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,433
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Well Boris is now PM...and the people in the office seem happy about this?!

    ...honestly started thinking about moving country, this place is a fucking disaster waiting to happen!

  23. #293
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,205
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

    A post shared by on


  24. #294
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The UK seems to be suffering the same issue the US does. The left has become an activist movement. It's going to wreck them. Strange spectacle.

  25. #295
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,863
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    The left has become an activist movement.
    What do you mean? Activism, including collective actions, has always been central to social democratic movements.

  26. #296
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    What do you mean? Activism, including collective actions, has always been central to social democratic movements.
    There's a difference between taking action and talking s__t. All I see is a bunch of idiots fighting amongst each other. And screaming about white privilege or some crap like that. You wanna beat Trump? Do better.

  27. #297
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    3,863
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    There's a difference between taking action and talking s__t. All I see is a bunch of idiots fighting amongst each other. And screaming about white privilege or some crap like that. You wanna beat Trump? Do better.
    This retort is meaningless. You are tarring an entire group of subgroups with the same brush, and buying into the "alt-right" narrative that somehow the best way to defeat radicalism is to become more radical yourself in the opposite direction. There is a global movement of socially left-leaning resistance to the increasingly restrictive, authoritarian, anti-democratic governments being propped up worldwide by the dying throes of free-market oligarchs — those fat on crime, supporting police states on ill-gotten gains stolen from us all, at a massive scale. To say that you only see "idiots fighting" against that, is to adopt the willful (useful) blindness put forward by their propaganda outlets.
    Last edited by botley; 08-13-2019 at 02:07 PM.

  28. #298
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    This retort is meaningless. You are tarring an entire group of subgroups with the same brush, and buying into the "alt-right" narrative that somehow the best way to defeat radicalism is to become more radical yourself in the opposite direction.
    Not so much meant as a retort, but more of an observation. I don't have any affiliation with, or interest in the "alt-right" (I'm actually fairly left-leaning myself) and I'm certainly not advocating radicalization on either side.

    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    There is a global movement of socially left-leaning resistance to the increasingly restrictive, authoritarian, anti-democratic governments being propped up worldwide by the dying throes of free-market oligarchs — those fat on crime, supporting police states on ill-gotten gains stolen from us all, at a massive scale. To say that you only see "idiots fighting" against that, is to adopt the willful (useful) blindness put forward by their propaganda outlets.
    It's the infighting on the left and the resulting division within the democratic party that I think is idiotic. And I wouldn't call waving flags and namecalling mounting a "resistance". It's just self-defeating. If the democrats really want to get a leg up on the republicans, they need to stop with all the rhetoric and baseless accusations, and get back to real politics, instead of political "activism" that really doesn't accomplish anything but further political polarization.

  29. #299
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,345
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    instead of political "activism" that really doesn't accomplish anything but further political polarization.
    Polarization is a forgone conclusion at this point, at least here in the US (and I see the mirrored conflation worldwide), but I can only speak to what I'm seeing around me. This is only going to get worse, but I'm not going to sit down and shut up while the world shifts towards bashing democracy in favor of defending the electoral college bullshit, and watch extremist racist groups gain traction due to leaders whistling to them.

    The only reasonable reaction is to get pissed... and yeah, that's polarizing.

  30. #300
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It seems like you think we're beyond reason then. If the only reasonable thing is to get pissed. I hope you're wrong.

Posting Permissions