Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Europe lurches to the Right

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I like this one:

Fun fact, it's illigeal to slap someone with a wet fish in the UK. Luckily those don't look wet SLAP AWAY!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I just hope this stuff doesn’t turn Farage into a milkshake martyr

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Latest news, Farage is refusing to leave a bus because there are 3 people outside holding milkshakes

I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP I SWEAR!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Latest news, Farage is refusing to leave a bus because there are 3 people outside holding milkshakes

I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP I SWEAR!
    Well I just voted Lib Dem - we won’t know the results till Sunday though which I’m quite glad about as I’ll enjoy most of the weekend without suffering an obnoxious Farage victory.

i do not want to live in a country with Michael Gove as prime minister and he isn’t even the worst option! I hope Corbyn does instigate a vote of no confidence in whoever wins but what I really want is for Tom Watson to become the labour leader, I think he’s much more inspirational than Jeremy Corbyn, Watson’s speech dissing Theresa May was great
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-26-2019 at 02:17 AM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Remember when Bush got a shoe thrown at him?!
    Yes. I also remember people being assassinated. So? What kind of argument is that?

Instead of trying to excuse shitty behaviour, try not support and exercise them. I'm not even annoyed by the fact that there are some shitty people out there, but it's always ridiculous when someone acts like [a shitty person], and tries to excuse themselves with the good old "well, they deserved it, because I think so, and I am obviously morally superior, because I said so".

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Money and public shame are the only things that politicians respond to. I say let the milkshakes flow freely.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Money and public shame are the only things that politicians respond to.
    Not in a democracy. In a democracy, if you disagree with someone, you cast your vote against them. If someone is highly unpopular, they will be voted out, and if someone remains popular, a barrage of milkshakes won't (and shouldn't) stop them.

Public shame is like a childish response to a serious topic. Not only it doesn't work, it makes you look very similar if not as bad as the one you are trying to shame.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Public shame is like a childish response to a serious topic.
    If these guys are going to act like clowns, then they deserve to get treated like clowns.

And yes, public shaming works. There's nothing that most politicians want more than to be seen as powerful rulers rather than pubic servants. Popping that particular bubble is not only right, but essential.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So millenial revolutionaires use milk-shakes as weapons? My god, what a bunch of pussies. Europe is a total mess. May Allah protect them. lol.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    im struggling to make sense of the results, it seems the far right/left populists are mixed about the results, and so are the established centrists.

Marine Le Pen beat Macron, which is a symbolic blow, however she is not even talking about France leaving the EU anymore, she is siding with the Italian populists on a remain and reform type agenda.its not about breaking up the EU its about reforming it.
    the UK will be back in the EU soon i bet you, all polls show a 10 percent lead for remaining, even if it does leave, (which is uncertain) the remain support is too high, they will implement another referendum and they will come back.
    unless they reform the British Empire !!!!! (which i honestly sometimes think Farage thinks is possible) i just have never ever ever seen a situation where the UK is better off leaving the EU..even if they formed some union with Australia, Canada and New Zealand, it would not match the 500 million people market in Europe. i think people are waking up to it all.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Yes. I also remember people being assassinated. So? What kind of argument is that?

Instead of trying to excuse shitty behaviour, try not support and exercise them. I'm not even annoyed by the fact that there are some shitty people out there, but it's always ridiculous when someone acts like [a shitty person], and tries to excuse themselves with the good old "well, they deserved it, because I think so, and I am obviously morally superior, because I said so".
    Considering how much violence these guys insight over here, a couple of milkshakes is fucking fine!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Well I just voted Lib Dem - we won’t know the results till Sunday though which I’m quite glad about as I’ll enjoy most of the weekend without suffering an obnoxious Farage victory.

i do not want to live in a country with Michael Gove as prime minister and he isn’t even the worst option! I hope Corbyn does instigate a vote of no confidence in whoever wins but what I really want is for Tom Watson to become the labour leader, I think he’s much more inspirational than Jeremy Corbyn, Watson’s speech dissing Theresa May was great
    The results were such a mixed bag of "oh that's good...oh that's fucking awful". I ended up going Green in the end, but i really do fear what'll happen next...the list of Tory leadership candidates is like a pick an mix of shit, piss, acid, coffee chocolate!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The results were such a mixed bag of "oh that's good...oh that's fucking awful". I ended up going Green in the end, but i really do fear what'll happen next...the list of Tory leadership candidates is like a pick an mix of shit, piss, acid, coffee chocolate!
    I agree, I ended up turning off my phone news service because the endless parade of gloating Farage or Gove joins leadership bid stories make me too depressed!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    In yesterday's parliamentary elections in Greece, the neo-nazi Golden Dawn party barely didn't make it into the parliament for the first time since 2012 and the three parliamentary elections that took place since, so I guess that's a bit of good news. We did get another extreme nationalist/traditionalist/populist party in their place, but again only barely (3.7% of votes, where 3% is the limit to get into the parliament), but at least they're not murdering bastards (that we know of anyway).
    Last edited by Alexandros; 07-08-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well Boris is now PM...and the people in the office seem happy about this?!

...honestly started thinking about moving country, this place is a fucking disaster waiting to happen!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The UK seems to be suffering the same issue the US does. The left has become an activist movement. It's going to wreck them. Strange spectacle.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    The left has become an activist movement.
    What do you mean? Activism, including collective actions, has always been central to social democratic movements.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    What do you mean? Activism, including collective actions, has always been central to social democratic movements.
    There's a difference between taking action and talking s__t. All I see is a bunch of idiots fighting amongst each other. And screaming about white privilege or some crap like that. You wanna beat Trump? Do better.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    There's a difference between taking action and talking s__t. All I see is a bunch of idiots fighting amongst each other. And screaming about white privilege or some crap like that. You wanna beat Trump? Do better.
    This retort is meaningless. You are tarring an entire group of subgroups with the same brush, and buying into the "alt-right" narrative that somehow the best way to defeat radicalism is to become more radical yourself in the opposite direction. There is a global movement of socially left-leaning resistance to the increasingly restrictive, authoritarian, anti-democratic governments being propped up worldwide by the dying throes of free-market oligarchs — those fat on crime, supporting police states on ill-gotten gains stolen from us all, at a massive scale. To say that you only see "idiots fighting" against that, is to adopt the willful (useful) blindness put forward by their propaganda outlets.
    Last edited by botley; 08-13-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This retort is meaningless. You are tarring an entire group of subgroups with the same brush, and buying into the "alt-right" narrative that somehow the best way to defeat radicalism is to become more radical yourself in the opposite direction.
    Not so much meant as a retort, but more of an observation. I don't have any affiliation with, or interest in the "alt-right" (I'm actually fairly left-leaning myself) and I'm certainly not advocating radicalization on either side.

There is a global movement of socially left-leaning resistance to the increasingly restrictive, authoritarian, anti-democratic governments being propped up worldwide by the dying throes of free-market oligarchs — those fat on crime, supporting police states on ill-gotten gains stolen from us all, at a massive scale. To say that you only see "idiots fighting" against that, is to adopt the willful (useful) blindness put forward by their propaganda outlets.
    It's the infighting on the left and the resulting division within the democratic party that I think is idiotic. And I wouldn't call waving flags and namecalling mounting a "resistance". It's just self-defeating. If the democrats really want to get a leg up on the republicans, they need to stop with all the rhetoric and baseless accusations, and get back to real politics, instead of political "activism" that really doesn't accomplish anything but further political polarization.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    instead of political "activism" that really doesn't accomplish anything but further political polarization.
    Polarization is a forgone conclusion at this point, at least here in the US (and I see the mirrored conflation worldwide), but I can only speak to what I'm seeing around me. This is only going to get worse, but I'm not going to sit down and shut up while the world shifts towards bashing democracy in favor of defending the electoral college bullshit, and watch extremist racist groups gain traction due to leaders whistling to them.

The only reasonable reaction is to get pissed... and yeah, that's polarizing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It seems like you think we're beyond reason then. If the only reasonable thing is to get pissed. I hope you're wrong.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    It’s nice to want things, but if you’re hoping this won’t at best end up with people being really pissed off at each other... I thought I was the optimist here, hoping we don’t see another world war in my lifetime... I think idealism and plugging our ears is going to land us there, and that’s what I really don’t want

fuck fascism, fuck Brexit, fuck Trump, fuck Boris, fuck Putin and his election meddling, fuck McConnell, fuck white nationalism, fuck indifference... HOW can anyone not be pissed off right now? There’s nothing wrong with being angry

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Speaking of Brexit, how freaking wild is that shit of Boris just shutting down parliament to ram a no-deal Brexit down everyone's throats? They sold that sick concept to the people as their parliament taking back control, and now that parliament is being shut down by the the Angry Cheeto's distant Brit cousin.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    It's fucking infuriating is what it is! The guy is a fucking nightmare (albeit not as bad a nightmare as the soggy wotsit, but we're comparing shit with piss here)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    There's a chance parliament could do something before the 11th, but they've been pretty worthless for the last several years.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'd like to believe they would...but i have a very bad feeling about this whole mess. Things are going to get worse before they start getting better...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The saddest thing about this is how predictable it was. And nobody wanted to see it. And then it happened.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    nobody wanted to see it. And then it happened.
    That should be the tagline for the last few years...