Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Europe lurches to the Right

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    2 Ministers resign over the deal which will send us up shit creek without a fucking boat let alone paddle!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    From our PM...

"We can choose to leave with no deal, or have no Brexit at all"

THEN HAVE NO BREXIT THEN YOU FUCKING LUNATIC!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    2 Ministers resign over the deal which will send us up shit creek without a fucking boat let alone paddle!!
    Yeah but they’re resigning because we’re not crashing out without a deal - does anyone have a more smackable face than Jacob Rees Mogg?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    As an ignorant American, I for one felt that there should have been a second stay / leave vote. The articles I was reading here in the states back when you voted seemed to portray a sense of instant regret. People saying they voted leave as a joke because they thought there was no way it would happen. People who voted leave and then found out within days that they had been brazenly lied to about what it actually meant. Years later, I've still never gotten the sense that leaving is what any significant portion of you want. Am I just totally misinformed?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    As an ignorant American, I for one felt that there should have been a second stay / leave vote. The articles I was reading here in the states back when you voted seemed to portray a sense of instant regret. People saying they voted leave as a joke because they thought there was no way it would happen. People who voted leave and then found out within days that they had been brazenly lied to about what it actually meant. Years later, I've still never gotten the sense that leaving is what any significant portion of you want. Am I just totally misinformed?
    i don’t even know where to begin in answering this. I know someone personally who voted Leave because of the promises of much more money for the NHS (she’s a nurse and I think she’s changed her mind now, she’s also a mother to mixed race kids so was quite upset to be thought of as racist). But after reading about the Cambridge Analytica Facebook scandal, I think we should at least have another vote. I thought the Remain campaign was rubbish too, it was more based on trying to make people scared of the consequences of leaving rather than why we should stay in the EU, and try to dispel the endless myths about the EU peddled by the tabloid press for forty years, really negative campaigning whereas the leave campaign was full of ‘we can have our cake and eat it’ bollocks and terrible Facebook bot campaigning with aggressive racism (but the official campaign could disassociate itself from this even though we know now these campaign groups were all interlinked). Anyway sorry I’m rambling, I’d like to think people have changed their mind, but maybe I’m just stuck in a liberal bubble only really associating with people who think like me

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    does anyone else not think that the EU's ultimate goal is a Untied States of Europe? I voted to remain, but its not clear what the EU is about anymore.
    also it mostly seems to revolve around France and Germany, this is the main reason why it formed, it was a way for them to neutralize one another. and stop killing one another, this never had to involve the UK really. we were protected by English channel. escaped same level of devastation.
    but this whole thing is never mentioned. and now you have Italy feeling all left out and rebelling.
    I wish the whole project was more transparent

so I do get why people want to escape it. but at the same time, I could not be bothered with this clusterfuck we are dealing with now.
    if the EU were to Unite it would be a superpower overnight, 600 million people, 20 trillion economy. centre of the world.
    but if that's what its about be honest..

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    it's just a series of trade arrangements.

The main reason people voted to leave - and seriously don't waste time with people bleating otherwise - was immigration. But you can opt out of free movement and take a few penalties - as Denmark does. We are chucking the baby out with the bathwater because daft people got hoodwinked by tabloids and social media

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

The main reason people voted to leave - and seriously don't waste time with people bleating otherwise - was immigration. But you can opt out of free movement and take a few penalties - as Denmark does. We are chucking the baby out with the bathwater because daft people got hoodwinked by tabloids and social media
    I agree that there was mainly racism involved in the vote, I remember being really disgusted by a leaflet that came round implying Turkey was about to join the EU which is bollocks, I don’t think it’s human rights record is anywhere near the standard required). What also gets me is that the rhetoric from those awful bot Facebook campaigns (and the Express) was really islamophobic but what does that have to do with freedom of movement from the EU which is majority white? Also the no deal fucks keep banging on about all these amazing trade deals we’ll get but who are the economies which are growing? China and India (more brown people, gasp!). I had an irritating guy on Facebook keep posting all this Express anti - Islam stuff on his timeline (he was the husband of one of the mums at my kids school I was friends with) and then one of his friends posted this ‘are you a racist?’ Joke questionnaires from news thump so at least it meant he had friends who weren’t being taken in by his shit and we’re prepared to call him out on it
    Last edited by WorzelG; 11-18-2018 at 03:32 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yeah i agree, it's why my family voted leave (they are really racist...and really fucking stupid!)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    WTF is happening in Great Britain right now? I'm seeing stories about the legal options for just saying "whoops, fuck it" and forgetting the Brexit vote ever happened, and apparently right now your MPs are voting whether to toss May out of office?

At least America isn't the only first world country that's gone batshit crazy in the politic field.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    And then you have France having a vote towards No Confidence in Macron because of his tax hikes and the riots. Europe is in as bad shape as we are.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Europe is in as bad shape as we are.
    Woah now.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Woah now.
    Consider who wrote it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Consider who wrote it.
    Oh, come off it. Seriously, if you have something to say, fucking say it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    @theimage13 they’re all interconnected! Personally I’ve never denied Britain is in the shit, same as US (US isn’t as badly off, at least they can vote Trump out in a few years, Brexit is forever) look at Cambridge Analytica and all the Steve Bannon links. These same connected fucks (Nigel Farage Wikileaks) are spreading chaos everywhere, Bannon is on a European quest to fuck things up even more - I wish the guy would just die, he looks at deaths door as it is. I’ve been reading a lot of Carole Cadwalladr lately as she broke the Cambridge Analytica story, her tweet threads are great and really give an idea of the scale of rise of the Alt Right
    https://mobile.twitter.com/carolecadwalla

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Besides which, there's again the riots in France, London is at a decade high for murders, Germany's government is cracking apart, Italy is condemning migrants to drown, and most of eastern Europe is in flat out defiance of the EU and becoming more and more populist/nationalist with each election cycle. I fail to see how I'm wrong about my statement.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Honestly i fucking live here and even i'm struggling to work out what the fuck is going on anymore! We've also got that Article 13 bollocks loaming which could fuck up all sorts of the internet for us...things are just royally fucked right now!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Europe is in worse shape than the the US by far, completely fractured, I knew Macron would be a failure, France looked like it was on the cusp of a revolution against Macron the other week. it looked like Ukraine before their revolution.
    Germany has become unstable too, and Italy has a strongman in charge. even in Spain far right group got elected last week. I cant even begin to talk about Eastern Europe. Poland and Hungary have become Hybrid regimes.
    on the plus side
    there is a genuine possibilty Brexit WONT happen now, its looking more likely that there could be a second referendum next year. Polls show most people have turned against the idea of leaving the EU. Most see there is no point in leaving with the deal Theresa May has gotten.
    ive just never understood how we would be better off leaving the EU, we would be fine, but better off? No.

I think if we do have a second referendum it will cause harm though at the same time though and could produce a far right party to gain ground In the UK.
    but the whole thing has just shown how fucked up the current apparatus and structure of government in London is, makes democracy look terrible.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Goddamnit, how did I post this in the entirely wrong thread? Ugh. Move along; nothing to see here.
    Last edited by theimage13; 12-13-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Europe is in worse shape than the the US by far, completely fractured, I knew Macron would be a failure, France looked like it was on the cusp of a revolution against Macron the other week. it looked like Ukraine before their revolution.
    Germany has become unstable too, and Italy has a strongman in charge. even in Spain far right group got elected last week. I cant even begin to talk about Eastern Europe. Poland and Hungary have become Hybrid regimes.
    on the plus side
    there is a genuine possibilty Brexit WONT happen now, its looking more likely that there could be a second referendum next year. Polls show most people have turned against the idea of leaving the EU. Most see there is no point in leaving with the deal Theresa May has gotten.
    ive just never understood how we would be better off leaving the EU, we would be fine, but better off? No.

I think if we do have a second referendum it will cause harm though at the same time though and could produce a far right party to gain ground In the UK.
    but the whole thing has just shown how fucked up the current apparatus and structure of government in London is, makes democracy look terrible.
    Arron Banks and Nigel Farage are reportedly working on some new populist right wing movement - Steve Bannon is currently funding such groups around the world, wouldn't be surprised if he gets involved. Be interesting to see if anyone from the ERG faction of the Tories defects to this new group

Also it's funny how the brexiters say a second referendum would be a betrayal of democracy - and then stage a leadership coup, even though we had a general election in 2017.
    So it's ok to have a second vote on something the public decided in 2017, but not 2016?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Arron Banks and Nigel Farage are reportedly working on some new populist right wing movement - Steve Bannon is currently funding such groups around the world, wouldn't be surprised if he gets involved. Be interesting to see if anyone from the ERG faction of the Tories defects to this new group

Also it's funny how the brexiters say a second referendum would be a betrayal of democracy - and then stage a leadership coup, even though we had a general election in 2017.
    So it's ok to have a second vote on something the public decided in 2017, but not 2016?
    Also according to Rees Mogg Teresa May should step down because 63% is not enough, yet 52% - 48% is such a resounding victory we should crash out with no deal (even though I've seen videos of Farage and other leavers say nobody is threatening our place in the single market! Ugh absolute cunt he is

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Protesters outnumbering gathered supporters of the UN migration pact in Belgium: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...QWV1grW0LPTcAY

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Well this ain't good. Poland - Gdansk Mayor stabbed to death in public during public event. He was a vocal opponent of Poland's current hard right Law and Justice Party.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46867286

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Yeah that's def. not good. Poland getting worse and worse it seems like.