Thread: Europe lurches to the Right

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Man, fuck this country.
    I don't understand how such an even, even if it is 'slightly' more in favour of such a huge shift, split should have such an effect on us all. LOL Politricks!
    Yes it's very reactionary, but I've begun looking for work abroad because frankly I don't feel welcome in my own country, so I might as well go elsewhere and at least experience new things and feel the same.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    LOL Politricks!
    IMO this referendum is a perfect example of a few things: 1) political questions like this are way too complex to just vote "YES" or "NO"; 2) too many people don't know shit about those questions to the extent that they can't even see the consequences or simply don't care about them; 3) too many people fall prey for opportunists who stear up fears with wrong information or straight up lies;

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    IMO this referendum is a perfect example of a few things: 1) political questions like this are way too complex to just vote "YES" or "NO"; 2) too many people don't know shit about those questions to the extent that they can't even see the consequences or simply don't care about them; 3) too many people fall prey for opportunists who stear up fears with wrong information or straight up lies;
    Also the British press is absolutely toxic and spewing out racist scaremongering shit for months, beyond what they normally do

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Man, fuck this country.
    I don't understand how such an even, even if it is 'slightly' more in favour of such a huge shift, split should have such an effect on us all. LOL Politricks!
    Yes it's very reactionary, but I've begun looking for work abroad because frankly I don't feel welcome in my own country, so I might as well go elsewhere and at least experience new things and feel the same.
    This is my problem. It seems that democracy means half the country is forced into this situation. Someone suggested it would have seemed fairer if leave had had to get a 60% majority. At least that would have felt decisive. (And since they are the ones wanting change from the status quo they should have to get more of a majority)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This is my problem. It seems that democracy means half the country is forced into this situation. Someone suggested it would have seemed fairer if leave had had to get a 60% majority. At least that would have felt decisive. (And since they are the ones wanting change from the status quo they should have to get more of a majority)
    Indeed, but now instead of making this argument the 'Remain' camp.. who represent over 17 million people seems to be like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Like, I concede that there are over 50%, but it was only two options, and it is currently dragging the other 17million with them. It's fucking crazy in fact. And what do I see in the media but some hand stroking of 'there there, accept it and lets all learn to get on'.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Indeed, but now instead of making this argument the 'Remain' camp.. who represent over 17 million people seems to be like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Like, I concede that there are over 50%, but it was only two options, and it is currently dragging the other 17million with them. It's fucking crazy in fact. And what do I see in the media but some hand stroking of 'there there, accept it and lets all learn to get on'.
    It's too late to change the rules of the referendum. What would you suggest they do now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The thing is if the Europeans working in the UK had been allowed to vote we'd probably still be in the EU. It's a travesty they weren't to be honest

A travesty really? Wow, how do you believe that? Sorry I don't follow that logic at all. I'm not aware of anywhere else this works? (Please do correct me if I'm wrong - i probably am!)

You seem to be suggesting the rules of democracy should be re-written just to end up with the result you want? And if the 'out' vote had got 60% no doubt you'd be saying 'should have been 70%'

Would it have been OK if the vote had been the other way, and 49% of the voting population wanted to leave?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossva View Post
    You seem to be suggesting the rules of democracy should be re-written just to end up with the result you want? And if the 'out' vote had got 60% no doubt you'd be saying 'should have been 70%'

Would it have been OK if the vote had been the other way, and 49% of the voting population wanted to leave?
    It just seems such a tiny mandate to do something so momentous. There's no going back from this. I wish they'd thought it through and put the 60% in to begin with

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    It's too late to change the rules of the referendum. What would you suggest they do now?
    It seems like clutching at straws but its not legally binding to actually do it, the majority of parliament was for Remain, including the whole 'opposition'. The laws will need replacing which has to go through them. So. Talk to your MPs.
    A lot of people seem shocked by the fact that people have already lost jobs, our money has lost well over 10% of its value and no-one seems to know where the 'savings' are going to come from. I'd want to see another referendum in a months time, like the are you sure button when you accidently close Word. But what do I know, I'm a fucking bleeding heart liberal.