Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Europe lurches to the Right

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    This ousting of Corbyn is disgraceful: he's being blamed for not winning a fight he didn't pick.
    It's a dishonest pretext to pull the party rightward, back into Blairite territory: also, thus, a betrayal of Labor working class voters who voted Leave as a protest vote against globalization and Blairite neoliberalism that left them behind.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    This ousting of Corbyn is disgraceful: he's being blamed for not winning a fight he didn't pick.
    It's a dishonest pretext to pull the party rightward, back into Blairite territory: also, thus, a betrayal of Labor working class voters who voted Leave as a protest vote against globalization and Blairite neoliberalism that left them behind.
    A large proportion of those working class people voting against globalisation own smartphones and have for years plus lots of clothes / consumer goods made in China or wherever. Do they think the phones are made in some factory in Barnsley? You go back to some old labour protectionist society you can kiss all that goodbye

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    The US is about to have a similar dilemma soon.
    If only we can learn from this..... Plenty of middle Americans who feel just as passed over.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Only problem being: the ball's in London now. The EU can't act until the British apply for a leave.

You can imagine how EU leaders feel about Cameron deciding to take a few months time until his party finally figured out who will follow him...

Its hilarious how how the Leave leaders keep passing the buck on "taking control" on this.

Legally the referendum is advisory. Parliament still have to vote on it and can call a referendum. Whenever Article 50 is invoked legally nothing can change with our EU relationship for two years. It's looking more likely that this won't happen. We may stay in this stalemate for some time.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    That's fine in UK politics, though. If Labour has no confidence in him he has to go. He had a responsibility to make sure his party line was enforced- the Leave result being evidence enough that he couldn't do this. Moreover, there's speculation is that he took an deliberately passive role- effectively eroding the Stay campaign. If that has merit, against his party's wishes, he's done.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Im not surpised by the result at all. People forget how much difference the English channel has made to our mindset.
    Charles De Gaulle knew this too. He knew Englnd had a different mindset.
    But i think people really need to stop catastrophising, the left leaning media are like acting like manic, delusional, depressives.
    The Guardian website has become a fucking joke.

The markets will stabilize, Scotland will not have a referendum for many years, Westminster will never allow it, Nicola Sturgeon SNP leader does not even have a majority government, and Scottish conservatives who have made a comeback recently will never vote to leave. Over a million Scots voted to leave the Europen Union too. Higher than expected.
    i do agree were there a referendum tomorrow they would leave...but the relationship is so complex.
    Even if they did leave it would make no difference to the U.K, it would not really effect the economyl

I didnt vote to leave, im upset we left, i had no problem being in the European Union. And i cannot be fucked for the anxiety inducing chaos we have to be subjecting to..this uncertain feeling. Im certain by December things will be ok.
    But its such a leap in the dark.

The only thing im genuinely depressed about...is how powerful the conservatives will be now, and urgh Boris Johnson as PM.
    David Cameron was an ineffectual blip in history. No one will remember him, he was weak forgettable.
    The conservatives have not been this powerful since Margaret Thatcher.
    Last edited by Exocet; 06-27-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    The conservatives have not been this powerful since Margaret Thatcher.
    And if the people who voted Leave think they will spread the wealth back to those needy areas like the EU did then they can think again

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    The markets will stabilize[...]Im certain by December things will be ok.
    Of course, UK won't turn into Greece just because it left the EU.
    The problem isn't if the UK will make it through, but at what cost. Politically, socially, economically, your nation has entered a really thick fog for the foreseeable future. It's a bit early to be doomsaying maybe, but it's way too early to be optimistic as well. Saying that by December things will be okay doesn't mean much, that's not the worrisome time frame, it's not a matter of a few months. Things will be okay by December, the problem is will be things okay two years from now, and again, at what cost ?

Markets stabilize, they're gyros, they always do. The question is, where will they stabilize, at what level ?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Of course, UK won't turn into Greece just because it left the EU.
    The problem isn't if the UK will make it through, but at what cost. Politically, socially, economically, your nation has entered a really thick fog for the foreseeable future. It's a bit early to be doomsaying maybe, but it's way too early to be optimistic as well. Saying that by December things will be okay doesn't mean much, that's not the worrisome time frame, it's not a matter of a few months. Things will be okay by December, the problem is will be things okay two years from now, and again, at what cost ?

Markets stabilize, they're gyros, they always do. The question is, where will they stabilize, at what level ?
    The pound has already rebounded, UK/US trade deal wont take long to rearrange, they have acctually all been very supportive post Brexit, Canada/Australia/Russia/China/India are all being co-operative. no one (other than Europe) is going to give the U.K too much of a hard time rearranging things.
    Merkel says she wants things to go smoothly.
    I know many in Europe DESPISE the British now because of this..i worry there are people in Brussells who will actively work against the U.K out of spite.
    That cunt Martin Schulz comments worry me the most.

im more concerned with rising racism against minorities, and reconnecting with the working class who voted for this, thats something else, and Boris Johnson running the new U.K government. And the Labour party sorting itself out. I feel Jeremy Corbyn MUST go.

despite the harsh Auesterity measures George Osbornes financial cabinet are very capable, they did wonders for the U.K economy past 5 years, they are a strong bunch. Im not too worried.
    Im certain London will retain its position too but this year will be rocky.

I dont know whats next for Europe though.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Heh, Boris isn't running after all.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Well, that was painfully unfunny.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Got to admit I jumped the gun on posting it. Sorry.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by df118 View Post
    pu-sssy! Puu-sssy!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Brexit could have been a great opportunity for Labour to put the boot in to the Tories and call for a snap general election, running on a Remain in EU platform like Lib Dems are planning to do. Instead, they embarked on a totally bungled coup - they don't even have a challenger to Corbyn, and decided to implode instead.
    Now the Tories look like they're steadying their ship: Theresa May, who might be the new PM, has said "Brexit is Brexit" and that there's no need for a general election until 2020, thus foreclosing chances this might be reversed and ensuring Tory continuity of power for the next four years. In other words Labour had an opening, and they blew it. So disheartening in this era of advancing far right wing.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    pu-sssy! Puu-sssy!
    He really is a weasel. At least now he can't do any more damage.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Fuck Jeremy Corbyn...he never gave a shit about Europe. He has been Anti-EU for decades.
    i have European friends who have lost jobs because of this vote.

He is the most pathetic leader of the Labour party of all time....and i think he is a liar. Worst of all.

I cant beleive people are still defending him...he did a shitty job on this EU referendum..even in parliment he has the presence of a boring georgraphy teacher. He has no charisma.
    He appeals to British Communists

You have to be out of your fucking mind to think this man is going to win the 2020 election and appeal to 68 Million people
    Last edited by Exocet; 07-04-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Aaaaaand Michael Gove's out.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Two women fighting for the top..this is a first......in any democracy in the world.

Notice how the Guardian website has calmed down on the whole Brexit thing

They are both strong women, im indecisive.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Seems a pretty easy decision to me, voting LibDem and hoping for an early general...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Boris Johnson for foreign minister and David Davis for Brexit minister. Theresa May wasn't joking around when she said Brexit means Brexit.
    Labour, on the other hand, still joking around.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 07-13-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Things are moving so fast on a daily basis. Everyone is struggling to catch up.

Theresa May has been Anti-Europe for years. She now has a really strong Anti Europe cabinet behind her.

I acctually think she is the best person for this Brexit process.

She is stronger than David Cameron.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    He really is a weasel. At least now he can't do any more damage.
    It's like an 80's horror movie: Never say stuff like that out loud.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...cleveland-rnc/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Things are moving so fast on a daily basis. Everyone is struggling to catch up.

Theresa May has been Anti-Europe for years. She now has a really strong Anti Europe cabinet behind her.

I acctually think she is the best person for this Brexit process.

She is stronger than David Cameron.
    I thought she was pro Remain???

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I thought she was pro Remain???
    She has been anti EU for years...like most of the conservative party.
    She only switched to remain because it was the status quo of the time.
    i doubt she really believed it
    She is adamant Brexit means Brexit.

the conservative party at its core is deeply anti-EU

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    As is Jeremy Corbyn...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    corbyn didnt pull his weight but the ball was already rolling in the brexit direction due to labour's abandonement of the working classes and their concerns.

milliband lost scotland and lost the north east, the effete wealthy son of a full on marxist philosopher was a bigger factor than a guy who's been leader for about a year and already managed to hustle up half a million new supporters

new labour/blairites do NOT have a strategy other than muddle along into oblivion as they have been doing since Blair left. Corbyn has the ability to drum up support and crucially has always been critical of the eu - exactly like the voters who have deserted labour

they think someone like owen smith can win back the brexiting working class? a guy who basically insults both their judgement and their voice by calling for a second referendum?

I am frankly horrified at the fact brexit has happened but it is time to stop compromising and being a bunch of pussies about this, politics is heading towards the radical and populist, and corbyn is the only one who ticks the boxes.

he is not perfect but neither is he standing in anyone's way, until the plp/progress/middle class hand wringing tosspots can produce a leadership candidate who actually stands a chance, it is time to shut up, get behind the leader and mount an opposition to the sociopathic ideologists in the cabinet!