Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Makeup Thread

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

The Makeup Thread

Lets talk about how great Sephora is.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So I decided to be masochistic and go onto the US MAC site yesterday. Just for shits and giggles, I made a wishlist which ended up being about US$550, went onto the Australian site to compare prices... AU$1200 later. Stupid Straya tax.

Anyways, I need some new products in my life. What can't you people live without?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I gotta get nicer stuff. I had good stuff when I was younger. Never had a zit in my life. Switched to drugstore makeup, and I basically have the shittiest skin ever now. Extremely depressing and annoying.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I use ivory concealer because I'm a faggot and don't like redness or blemishes showing if I get any.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Plz don't say that word.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    It was totally the Sephora store in San Francisco (spent a few days there after Comic Con, full accountability and all) that my friend sent me to to get her stuff!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Plz don't say that word.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28unit%29

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Shitty copout.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

ten chars

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Shiz, do you really think drugstore makeup has an effect on your skin that badly? I definitely noticed that my skin was worse when I was using cheaper foundation (revlon, etc) but it pretty much stopped when I started using something else.

I use baby oil to remove makeup these days, the effect it has on your skin is amaaaazing. Doesn't dry it out like most make up removers. (Although I've heard amazing stuff about MACs eye makeup remover).

Spent a few days at Sephora? :P Jelly.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Missha M Perfect Cover and MAC Fluidline for me all day, every day. Both stand up pretty well to my oiliness, and finally finding a bb cream that actually matched my fair color was a relief. I used to use MUFE's lightest HD foundation, but my skin just stopped getting along with it a couple of years ago. I still have yet to find an eyeshadow primer that doesn't slide right off my lids within a few hours, so I've pretty much given up on any eye makeup past my liner.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Makeup Thread

I love Laura Mercier, Lancôme, Amore Pacific. I wash my face with Earth Science products.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-13-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    It's a cheapie, but I've found Revlon Photofinish (I think that's the line, will double check) eye primer is really amazing. Benefit also (or used to) make a really great eye primer.

Never heard of Earth Science stuff, I'll suss it out! Lancôme shampoo and conditioner holds a very special place in my heart.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I love eyeliner and lip markers so much. I'm decent at drawing, so it's like somebody just let me take my skill there. I wear winged eyeliner OFTEN.

Also, elaborate eye makeup is a thing I do sometimes. For me, short of eyeshadow fading, it's more about technique than what I'm using. Lipstick is something where quality matters more.

In my day to day life (so unless I'm performing) I don't put anything on my eyebrows, don't like the look of them being filled in.

I also don't tend to wear blush or use under eye concealer because paaaaale yassss

Also, with rare exception I don't tend to ever take off my eye makeup. Like.... I wash my face whenever I shower so it wears off, but if I'm wearing it really heavily for multiple days in a row it just turns into smeared rock and roll awesomeness.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I never wash my face at night either and it never seems to make any difference but I only wear a full face a few times a week anyway.

I'm going on a massive shopping spree when I go to NYC in July for all the American brands that are so so much cheaper in the states. Just have to figure out how to leave enough space in my suitcase for it all... my wish list is a mile long.
    @ophelia_ have you tried the site http://makeupandglow.com.au ? They don't stock Mac but there are loads of great international brands on there at reasonable prices. Its aimed at pros but you don't have to be industry to buy online

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Makeup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ophelia_ View Post
    Never heard of Earth Science stuff, I'll suss it out!.
    Whole Foods. They don't test on animals, contain no bad chemicals, and great for sensitive skin, all really important to me but hard to find without products being greasy or stinky.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Shiz, do you really think drugstore makeup has an effect on your skin that badly?
    Well, you wouldn't think so. But my skin is kinda dumb. The most common chemical that is in basically ALL face cleansers - Salicylic Acid makes my entire face come out in blisters. I don't have any other explanation for why my skin would start being shitty in my mid-twenties. The only other change at that time was I stopped doing drugs. Quitting drugs is supposed to make you skin better so...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    I love eyeliner and lip markers so much. I'm decent at drawing, so it's like somebody just let me take my skill there. I wear winged eyeliner OFTEN
    Winged eyeliner is a skill to perfect, but once you've mastered that motherfucker, life is so much better. LOVE winged eyeliner. What do you use for it, like a liquid eyeliner? My new obsession is Napoleon Perdis' chinadoll gel eyeliner. SAH AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by rhet View Post
    @ophelia_ have you tried the site http://makeupandglow.com.au ? They don't stock Mac but there are loads of great international brands on there at reasonable prices. Its aimed at pros but you don't have to be industry to buy online
    Oh god, what have you done, lol. I get paid today and everything! That site! <3

I also don't wash my face every night and my skin is pretty okay... Might try and do it every night for a week or two and see if it makes a difference.

Well, you wouldn't think so. But my skin is kinda dumb. The most common chemical that is in basically ALL face cleansers - Salicylic Acid makes my entire face come out in blisters. I don't have any other explanation for why my skin would start being shitty in my mid-twenties. The only other change at that time was I stopped doing drugs. Quitting drugs is supposed to make you skin better so...
    My skin was perfect until I was about 22, so I certainly feel your pain. Have you sussed out /r/skincareaddiction on reddit? It's pretty much my go to source for any skin related freak outs that I have.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Winged eyeliner is a skill to perfect, but once you've mastered that motherfucker, life is so much better. LOVE winged eyeliner. What do you use for it, like a liquid eyeliner?
    Any sort of good black eyeliner marker. Something that looks like this:

For me the trick is to draw the point of wing first/that part of the swoop and then draw out to it from my inner corner/fill in as appropriate.

Also not really giving a fuck about it being even.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I'm just starting to really dip my toe into this. I wear mascara every day and lip gloss and powder after work (and lipstick when I go to my support group.) I am just incredibly ignorant on all this stuff. I hope to, at some point, figure the rest of it out. ha. Also, I didn't realize how ridiculously expensive it all is! I bought nail polish, powder, foundation and eye shadow and it cost me almost $40.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Better late than never! Makeup was something I only started getting into a few years ago, back in my "goth" days I used to wear lots of eyeliner and mascara and thought that was all makeup had to offer.

Basically everything I know about it now, I learnt from Reddit and from experimenting. It is expensive when you start buying designer brand stuff, but there's lots of really great cheaper options, especially in the states. Check out eyeslipsface.com - I lurve a lot of ELF stuff, some of it is pretty standard but the majority of it is great. The brushes especially are so cheap and fantastic!

This link is great for figuring out what different products do - http://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddict..._sure_what_to/

And this is basically my bible - http://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddiction/wiki/tutorial

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I just remembered this!

If you guys want a GREAT book about makeup:http://www.amazon.com/Face-Forward-K.../dp/0316287059 It was one of the main resources I used as a teen.

Here is Martha Stewart made up to look like Veronica Lake.

That's Kevyn's boyfriend (if I remember correctly) made up as Linda.

His other book, though I've never read it, looks also amazing.

So, so, so wonderful.
    Last edited by playwithfire; 05-13-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    MAC Pigments. That is all.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Pigment is so intimidating, tell me your secrets!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Makeup Thread

I've stopped wearing foundation whenever possible. I have Lancôme foundation for more dressy occasions, but lately I've been using Laura Mercier Radiance primer instead. I'm very fair and don't want to look too undead.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-14-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    That's one of us.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I'm pale as fuck but also have freckles everywhere. I already look pretty young. The freckles amplify that to an annoying level. So I basically wear at least foundation any time I leave the house. Also have scars on my face from a car wreck that I like to keep covered up!

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I've been subscribing to Birchbox since December. They let me try out some high end stuff. I love it.

I've been on a lipstick kick here and so I just ordered NYX Macaron Lippies in Blue Velvet, Chambord, Black Sesame and Pistachio. Although they are sold out on the NYX website, you can still order them at Ulta. I just bought NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Transylvania. I also ordered Melt Cosmetics lipstick in By Starlight which is a bright purple. I can't wait to try them all!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Makeup Thread

I'm pale as fuck but also have freckles everywhere. I already look pretty young. The freckles amplify that to an annoying level. So I basically wear at least foundation any time I leave the house. Also have scars on my face from a car wreck that I like to keep covered up!
    Yeah I feel the same about my damned dark circles under my eyes, which I inherited from my Dad and which get worse depending on my allergies and if I've had any wine. Some days, just a little foundation makes them barely there. Other days, I need either Erase Paste or Laura Mercier Secret Concealer on top of foundation, then I have to hit that with a tiny bit of powder to set it so it isn't drifting and melting but not so much that it gives me wrinkles. I won't leave the house with at LEAST that, though.

My eyebrows are REALLY LIGHT blonde and I'm so fucking tired of dealing with that; if I leave them alone, I look like Manson (when he shaved off his eyebrows). So I was using Lancôme's brow groomer stuff, like blonde mascara for brows, plus a powder filler when necessary. But recently, my colorist COLORED my brows (like, caramel blonde) when doing my highlights. So much easier. It eventually fades, though, and now I need a touch-up. On my BROW COLOR. Weird.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-14-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Erase Paste is the best <3