Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Makeup Thread

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I also ordered Melt Cosmetics lipstick in By Starlight which is a bright purple. I can't wait to try them all!
    I WANT ALL OF THOSE MELT LIPSTICKS! THE TEAL COLOURED ONE, OMG! *dies*

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

The Makeup Thread

I know, right? I want the blue one, the hot pink one and the gray one. Check their FAQ. They might do international shipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've worked for Sephora for 6 years. Make up is pretty much my life! Love this thread!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Cannot contain my jealousy... You must have the worlds most amazing make up collection

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I want to add that I think having a great facial routine is necessary in order to have a beautiful face whether you wear makeup or not. I use Sage Grapefruit Cleanser from the Body Deli. I love the Body Deli so much because not only does the cleanser work, but the whole company only uses raw and organic ingredients. Plus, their only shop is located about 10 miles from my house!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I want to add that I think having a great facial routine is necessary in order to have a beautiful face whether you wear makeup or not. I use Sage Grapefruit Cleanser from the Body Deli. I love the Body Deli so much because not only does the cleanser work, but the whole company only uses raw and organic ingredients. Plus, their only shop is located about 10 miles from my house!
    Ohhhhhhhhhh now you're talking my language!! Have you ever tried their moisturizers? I wonder if they're good for sensitive skin.

I agree about a regular face-cleansing routine, and moisturizing too! You should *never* go to bed without washing and moisturizing. Ever.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    @allegro I have tried their Light Facial Emulsion which is ok. However, if you go to their website, they have a section just for sensitive skin. Even though I'm not too crazy about the moisturizer I tried, I swear by everything else!!! I have their Radiance Enzyme Peel and I love it so much. My next item to get is the Green Detox Mineral Special Edition Scrub for your body. It smells heavenly!!!!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    I just remembered this!

If you guys want a GREAT book about makeup:http://www.amazon.com/Face-Forward-K.../dp/0316287059 It was one of the main resources I used as a teen. So, so, so wonderful.
    that book is pretty much a bible among makeup artists. fantastic stuff.

@theruiner Sleek http://www.sleekmakeup.com also has surprisingly good stuff for the money

Quote Originally Posted by ophelia_ View Post
    Pigment is so intimidating, tell me your secrets!
    for loose pigments, they're not too tricky to work with if you use a slightly damp brush (or use Mac's fix+ for more staying power) then tap it onto the lid and blend with a clean brush. you can also mix them into lipsticks, cream blushes, make em into eyeliner, mascara...they're magical things. i <3 makeup addiction on reddit!

i love doing men's makeup, especially on guys who haven't had it done before. they're always so excited about how good they look and i love seeing the confidence and bounce in their step it gives them. its almost as good as grossing people out with realistic blood and gore
    Last edited by rhet; 05-15-2014 at 04:57 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Think I'll suss out the world of pigment.

I also think you should post some photos of your makeup wizardry! sounds like you do lots of amazing things!

also... Kind of off topic, but today I bought a Marc Jacobs bag because I thought the colour would go with a new eyeshadow I ordered. I... Have a problem.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm so not into make-up. I threw away all my weird colour eyeshadow a few years ago and now just wear eyeliner on my eyes and brows (that thing from Rimmel that's a pen), and on a night out add Ruby Woo MAC lipstick and maybe some facepowder from Iman (I'm brown as hell). That's my entire make-up.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Does anyone else have baby skin? I need some cleanser that doesn't have salicylic acid in it. :/ I've been getting REALLY ANGRY about my skin over the last month or so.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Does anyone else have baby skin? I need some cleanser that doesn't have salicylic acid in it. :/ I've been getting REALLY ANGRY about my skin over the last month or so.
    you could try the oil cleanse method. its natural, gentle and pretty cheap! I make my own face scrub using brown sugar and coconut oil, it exfoliates, then the sugar rinses off and I wipe off the excess oil with a cloth. My skin is naturally oily but it actually produces way less oil when I wash it this way and keep it moisturised.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddi...t_ocm_the_oil/ and ​http://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction are pretty helpful in general

or for something a bit less messy and DIY but still gentle cleansing water is good (something like this http://www.sephora.com/triple-action...?skuId=1344852)

I don't know what skin type you have though other than sensitive.
    Last edited by rhet; 05-15-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I don't really know, either. It goes through weird phases.

Like, at times, my forehead and nose can get oily, but I'm normally just dry as fuck everywhere.

The only stuff I'm using right now is Simple brand. The makeup removing towels, and moisturizer. But I really, REALLY want to try something better soon. Because I'm so annoyed.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't really know, either. It goes through weird phases.

Like, at times, my forehead and nose can get oily, but I'm normally just dry as fuck everywhere.

The only stuff I'm using right now is Simple brand. The makeup removing towels, and moisturizer. But I really, REALLY want to try something better soon. Because I'm so annoyed.
    I have very very sensitive skin. I cannot use any of these "firming" or "anti-aging" bullshit cleansing or moisturizing products, and I have to be REALLY careful with a lot of botanicals that are "all natural" but contain irritants.

I really recommend the cleanser I linked above, I get it at Whole Foods, Earth Science A-D-E Creamy Fruit Oil Cleanser. It has little to no fragrance, it's creamy and leaves no residue, it has caused ZERO problems for my super sensitive skin, and it's fairly cheap ($10.50) and last a really long time. And it removes eye makeup!! I also use their toner, after cleansing, which also works great on sensitive skin.

Last edited by allegro; 05-15-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Thanks! Buying some right now! There is a $10 off of a $30 order coupon, so going to try a couple of items!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Thanks! Buying some right now! There is a $10 off of a $30 order coupon, so going to try a couple of items!
    I *love* the Aloe Vera Complexion Toner!!!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Bah. I almost went with that.

I got:
    A-D-E Creamy Fruit Oil Cleanser 8 oz.
    Almond-Aloe Moisturizer SPF 15+ 5 oz.
    Herbal Tonic Mist 8 oz.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Bah. I almost went with that.

I got:
    A-D-E Creamy Fruit Oil Cleanser 8 oz.
    Almond-Aloe Moisturizer SPF 15+ 5 oz.
    Herbal Tonic Mist 8 oz.
    Oh crap, that moisturizer is pretty stinky! Not great for sensitive skin! I hope you don't have problems with it. I ended up pitching it.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    SADFACE.

Oh well... That's crazy cheap. So it's not a huge loss if it sucks. I don't expect to find perfect stuff right away, and I know it will take some experimenting!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    SADFACE.

Oh well... That's crazy cheap. So it's not a huge loss if it sucks. I don't expect to find perfect stuff right away, and I know it will take some experimenting!
    Is it too late to cancel?? Do you have a Whole Foods near you? That's the best place to go "sample the goods" by EarthScience if you are able. Well, yeah, try it, we're all different, maybe you're not as hypersensitive to stinky as me.

My best pal S had me try this cream by SW Basics because it's all natural and vegan and not tested on animals. The problem is that it's not cream, it's more like BUTTER, you have to rub it into your hand, first, to emulsify it, and then it's like rubbing butter on your face, and then I look like I just put butter on my face. Or, more like CRISCO. For $32.00. For a little jar of Crisco. I only put this on my face in TINY sections if my skin is SUPER dry in the winter. Like, after SKIING.

So then I tried Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, which received rave reviews online, and that was considerably cheaper but that was like putting coconut butter on my face and I felt like a pina colada all day. That went into the trash.

So the moisturizer I KEEP GOING BACK TO because nothing works better for sensitive skin?

LaRoche-Posay. Best.Moisturizer.EVAR.for sensitive skin. They started selling it at TARGET last year, go figure, but I get it from Amazon because it's cheaper.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-15-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    I just remembered this!

If you guys want a GREAT book about makeup:http://www.amazon.com/Face-Forward-K.../dp/0316287059 It was one of the main resources I used as a teen.
    You just gave me memories. I should pull this book out of storage.

Ok. I just got my Melt Cosmetics purple lipstick in the mail. I love it!!! http://instagram.com/p/oCYCo5OjV8/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Speaking of make up books, I found a PDF of Bobbi Browns Make Up Manual

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/5b02926...al_Revised.pdf

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I got my NYX Macaron Lippies in!!!! (Fuck that pimple trying to photobomb me.)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    And they look extremely rad! ^.^

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I bought NYX's Matte Lipstick in shocking pink. When I wear it, I think I look like Nicki Minaj. Maybe I need to change up my makeup and hair so that I won't look like her.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Nicki Minaj is my dirty little secret. I like a lot of hip hop stuff and something about her music just makes me wanna dance around like an idiot.

Plus, dat ass.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just bought my first Lime Crime Velvetine lippy... Can't wait for it to get here so I can have it in and around my life.

Anyone used them before, are they as amazing as they look?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Hello makeup people. I need help finding makeup. I want to do a 2004 Manson thing. Probably the blue eyeshadow look. I can do most makeup, I just have no idea where to get decent products for something that will only be used for maybe 2 or 3 events before it all goes bad

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Hello makeup people. I need help finding makeup. I want to do a 2004 Manson thing. Probably the blue eyeshadow look. I can do most makeup, I just have no idea where to get decent products for something that will only be used for maybe 2 or 3 events before it all goes bad
    Hmmm...do you want to go high end or drugstore? Are you stateside or out of country? I'm asking these questions because I can have a better direction as to how to help you. Also, can you give me a more specific pic of Manson? I'm not too familiar with his looks associated with the eras.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Hmmm...do you want to go high end or drugstore? Are you stateside or out of country? I'm asking these questions because I can have a better direction as to how to help you.
    high-end as long as I'm not having to buy giant color palettes that get thrown away just for the blue shades (for example). If I am gonna have to toss a bunch of expired makeup in a few months, I'd rather it be cheap.

I'm in California, USA

edit: i'd like the high-end because I need it to look awesome for like 16 hours, and to make the end product simply look awesome.