Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tattoos

Have them? Want them?

I've got three - snowflake, little sister and flower. I got them all this year.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Both full sleeves. Left a bit of room on my right wrist for an idea I have but until the wedding's over this summer I had to hold off. Then planning on a bit for the chest and then I'm probably going to be finished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love the flower!

I have seven tats...I'll have to dig up some pics

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've got four myself; one on each ankle that were self-done; the star that was started when...i was 13? but I worked on filling it in for a couple years after, on and off. And a heartbeat line thing And two others that were done professionally, this one, which is pretty generic as words but was actually taken from a nin lyric! have fun figuring out which one. The other one i have is on my shoulder but apparently i don't have pictures of it that i can find...I found the drawing that it was done from though!
    Last edited by halloween; 12-03-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Seven at the moment and want to add more. I eventually want a half sleeve on both arms.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    The other one i have is on my shoulder but apparently i don't have pictures of it that i can find...I found the drawing that it was done from though!
    Brazil-zil-zil-zil-zil?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    Brazil-zil-zil-zil-zil?
    Sim senhora =]

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    My girlfriend is aaall about tattoos. She has two phoenixes on her shoulders, a cross with a pink cancer ribbon around it at the top of her spine dedicated to her mother who passed away, a keyhole above that on her neck, flowers on vines all up her side and shoulder blade, and she just recently got the "Coexist" logo design (plus a heart at the end, since she was short one symbol) done across her knuckles so that it reads from the top down when she weaves her fingers together and lines them up.

Buuuut anyway. I don't have any, but I decided on an idea I want to do before the end of the year. I'll definitly post it here when I get it all finished.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I have three too, also all from this year:

My grandmother's initial on my wrist: http://twitpic.com/3tn054
    jouissance on the back of my neck: http://yfrog.com/ke4tneuj
    and an eiffel tower cameo on my calf: http://twitpic.com/6tj0cz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got this about 7 months ago now. The artwork for the only song on the Slip whose lyrics actually meant anything to me. When I reach a point in my life where I feel like I've achieved what I perceive as my core purpose, Yah moe gon' slap some red ink in that sum'bitch at the bottom.

P.S. I really dig the Eiffel Tower one.
    Last edited by Reser D; 12-04-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i have 5,
    my daughters name on my inside left forearm
    my names in the apc runes on my inside right forearm
    same tribal pattern on both arms
    and a 'crow' tribal tatt on my back taken off the sountrack cover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post

I like the eiffel tower...especially the fleur de lis at the bottom

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    finally decided on what Im getting for my first tattoo, Ive been sitting on the idea for the past couple months and I still love it so Im gong to go for it. Now Im just waiting on the right time to get it, expenses have been pretty high these past couple months and with a $1000 car repair still in need of being done and a winter oil bill starting to grow my tattoo seems to be to be sliding further down my list of things that need to be done. Maybe I will have to call it a Christmas present to myself...or wait till I get my tax return.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I decided I want one, just have wait on the money. Wedding honeymoon, and holidays have me tapped at the moment. Wife has one, but wants another. Her sister drew her first.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reser D View Post

P.S. I really dig the Eiffel Tower one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisbeth View Post
    I like the eiffel tower...especially the fleur de lis at the bottom
    Thanks!

Little bits of it are still a little wrinkly, like the black shading around the flower (I got it done about two months ago) - my tattooist did warn me that legs take a while to heal and the bits that are now clear took longer to heal than I was used to, so I expect it's just a matter of moisturise and wait. I'm glad I got this done as it was turning cold though, as it wouldn't have been fun to walk around with a gross scab/dried out leg during bare leg weather!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Fresh ink!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looking to start my 2nd sleeve soon. Im just unsure whether i want to do another single theme. Id like another bio-organic but my artist moved 5 hours away and everyone else in southern cal. seems to suck at anything realistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Grove street, home. At least it was 'til i fucked everything up.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post

I really love the initial, such a tasteful font.

I've tragically littered my body with stupid teenage-spur-of-the-moment tattoos over the years, thank god the majority are concealable.
    167708_10150354773795214_843830213_16591199_548966 4_n.jpg - Without a doubt my most regretted. At least i can pass off as kind of hard core for the location.

44722_10150248985395214_843830213_14585577_1121395 _n.jpg - My sisters name, without a doubt the one i love the most.

I won't even bother with the rest out of sheer shame.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbleaoife View Post
    I really love the initial, such a tasteful font.
    It's her handwriting - I took in her passport and the artist made the transfer by blowing it up to the right size.

What was the aftercare like for the one behind your ear? I have an idea for something there (also white ink on my skin, so I'll have to think about/discuss that a bit) but I'm a bit worried about washing/earrings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's such a lovely idea. What is it with grandparents having beautiful hand writing.

Surprisingly hassle free, healed fast and didn't get in the way too much. Also one of the least painful areas i've had work on. You thinking of getting lettering there?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbleaoife View Post
    167708_10150354773795214_843830213_16591199_548966 4_n.jpg - Without a doubt my most regretted. At least i can pass off as kind of hard core for the location.
    I like it. I can't really tell what it says since it's mirrored, but yeah, I dig that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If no one can ever tell what it says again, i will die happy.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I don't have any tattoos and I'm deeply challenged with thinking of anything that I would want to permanently put on my body. I don't judge those who do as long as they are pleasing, support some particular position or is symbolic of something important to you. I've seen some just beautiful tattoos, but I just can't see me being so committed to a particular image. This makes me curious about others and ask what was it that made you commit to a particular image?

I have strong feelings about regret and having ink that I might keeps me from making any choice. Plus, isn't anything you put on your body identify you, your beliefs, your personality, your values. Maybe I need to have more conviction in any of those areas to pick something. This all seems to center around symbols for me. I just don't think I would put words on me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I had this conversation with someone quite recently, and he referred to it as not being able to choose an image too. But for me it's the other way around. I have very narrow/obsessive/passionate interests, and it tended to be a matter of finding an accurate representation of that part of my personality or identity and going from there. Every tattoo I've had has skipped the queue in terms of order of importance, and I think that's because I made up my mind quicker on them. I said somewhere on old ETS that I wanted the Saussurean algorhythm to be my first tattoo - I still don't have it and it's falling down the list of priorities.

I think in my case the first one I had just HAD to be done, and it HAD to be perfect. It had to be personal and meaningful - I fucking hate those tattoos that just say "Mum" is vulgar scrawly letters. I made up my mind really quickly about it - I think there was 8 months between her death and me having the tattoo - and I was doubly glad that it was something so meaningful, because then that set the bar for how sure I'd have to be to have something tattooed on me.

The one on my neck represents a philosophy I've lived by and a system I've processed the world through since I was about 15. I studied it at university and it's an integral part to my job as well as hugely linked to the art and films I love. It's the final point in a seven-part system for moving towards Deconstruction. It's from my favourite essay, and it's untranslatable directly (all of my tattoos are French, incidentally). And the placement? Well (...yeah there's no such thing as TMI on ETS) the word has a sexual connotation too and having sex in my favourite position with someone who understands what it means is nice. It's also ended up being a litmus test for people who claim to know about post-structuralism but can't even pronounce it.

And for over a decade I have been hugely into cameos. I hate the idea of having a face on me though, so for ages I was looking for a way around this. And as you may have noticed I have over time developed an unhealthy affection for Paris. It got to the point where I had Eiffel Tower everything (and made trips to France to ask retail staff to go to the back room and check to see if a line had come in yet). The structure itself is gorgeous, and it's iconic to Paris. It has a very interesting history of being a symbol of political resistance too. Eventually the two things clicked together. I'm not going to give up this vintagey lifestyle anytime soon - my home is like stepping into a time warp - and, not wanting to tattoo my arms because of flab, I opted for the most toned part of my body. I then got more excited when I started drawing it on myself and trying out the look with my clothes. My main worry was finding an artist that would do the idea justice. After a lot of phoning up/visiting shops and asking an annoying amount of questions, I found out that this lady was going to be in town and booked ASAP. £300 well spent.

I have a rule not to have a tattoo that refers to any living human, though. I have a "music" tattoo lined up, which I'll probably hold off on explaining until I've had it done. I'm going to give things a rest for a while because if I keep going this way it will turn into an addiction! It is going to be a bit French, though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is a tattoo I got a few years ago:

http://twitpic.com/64bpa

I'm from northern Canada (Yellowknife, Northwest Territories), I wanted something northern, with a native artwork style to it. I found an artist by the name of Nathalie Parenteau whose worked I liked. Native artwork takes some time to get used to, I grew up seeing it all the time, so it's pretty normal for me. But when other people see it, they aren't really sure what to think. But I called her up, and asked her if it was okay to use some of her art for a tattoo, and she was honored that anyone would consider transferring her art to a tattoo, she only asked that I sent her a picture. So I went through with it! super happy with the results, reminds me of home.

I've been wanting to get another one, but have been having a hard time thinking of something...until today. I'm actually vacationing in Hawaii at the moment, I walked into art gallery today and came across Alex Gupton's work, this piece in particular. Figured that would look pretty good on the calf of my leg. What do you guys think?? It kinda sticks with the current theme I have of native art, but just Hawaiian, rather than Inuit aboriginal.

Wanted to think about it for a bit, just to make sure I'm not on the vacation high, and excited about everything Hawaiian. But have kept looking at it since I found it, and I'm starting to seriously consider it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I always thought this is badass. But I would rather get it on my back and not my belly, haha.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Got this done in August. So so happy with it, it's ace.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Bit of a low angle, which makes the top line not look straight, because I had to guess with my tripod where I was. Designed it myself from the vector NIN logo released around that time, added WT-era effects down to the date of my first show.
    Waiting on the YZ HBO show before I get my AIR flag and number on my other arm, because I don't want to get it then have it come out and (somehow) be a disappointment that I don't want to have associated with a permanent piece. I can wait, it's ok.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    ^ looks pretty good.
    Just got some more work on my leg done last night. For being up high on the shin bone by my knee it didn't hurt too bad. When it heals up i'll snag a photo.