Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    seriously? you're worried about it looking "kinda gay"? what the fuck does that even MEAN!?

if you want a tattoo, get it. if it means something to you, and it's important enough for you to put it on yourself, get it. the meaning may change over the years, but as long as it still means SOMETHING, that's all that matters.

but if you're worried about it looking "kinda gay" then i'd say don't get a tattoo because if you're gonna be that shallow and juvenile about it, you're not mature enough to decide to permanently ink something on your skin.

edit: also, there's a HUGE amount of NIN artwork. every single page of the fragile booklet and the hesitation marks booklet (and, like you said, lots of stuff from the slip, most of which would actually look REALLY COOL as tattoos), and any number of visual representations of lyrics.
    ha! I'm pretty sure the vast majorities of tattoos are done by people who are not mature enough to do it :-) frankly, I wasn't mature enough to do mine, but I'm glad I did

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I've recently seriously considered getting my first tattoo, until I was at the chiropractor having my leg 'scraped'. We were talking about tattoos and I said what she was doing to me must hurt more than getting a tat. She said, no - she had a ink over her kidney and that hurt more. Owwww, and I thought I had a high threshold for pain, I guess not.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Isn't that what painkillers are for?

I've been rading about tattoo stuff recently, but the consensus is that it only sucks around bones and certain body parts. I.e. shoulders should be easy to be tattooed without fainting.

I'd get one on my back, but I want to see it lol, so that's why I'd like it to be on my arm or shoulder.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tattoos basically hurt as much as you'd think they do, that's the best way to explain it...you don't feel the pokes, it's more like a scrape. The first few minutes are the worst until your body gets used to it...and then it becomes more of a nuisance 'pain in the ass' kinda pain, and not an unbearable one. Feel free to just chat with the person you're getting inked by or with someone you've brought along and it's fine. As for shoulders being the easiest, they're definitely among the easiest for sure. Around any bone or joint is worse, as well as places where you don't have a lot of bacon (think the 'ditch' or inner part of your elbow...pinch the skin there...not a lot there, huh?...yeah that area sucks).

As for fainting, easy fix is just to have a little blast of sugar before and during. Two full sleeves in and I still eat first and just before, wolf down a Snickers. I also drink orange juice or something else sugary while getting inked, and have never had a problem.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Tattoos basically hurt as much as you'd think they do, that's the best way to explain it...you don't feel the pokes, it's more like a scrape. The first few minutes are the worst until your body gets used to it...and then it becomes more of a nuisance 'pain in the ass' kinda pain, and not an unbearable one.
    My tattoo guy told me before my first that it was exactly that - a nuisance. His example was of having an eraser being rubbed on the area for a prolonged amount of time, which is pretty accurate.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'd describe them as feeling like a very hot scratch as opposed to painful.

Also you're not allowed to take painkillers, blood thinners, alcohol etc before your tattoo. I don't think I've ever been in a shop and seen anyone cry or yelp/scream, but you do get a lot of people trying to meditate through it. Just don't get tattooed on a leather chair when it's 100f outside. Eating a big meal beforehand is also recommended.

Fatty areas are the most painful for me. My wrist was OK, my lower leg was fine besides the bit over the tendon, and my nape of neck tattoo felt like a massage. Also I find thinner needles hurt more than thick ones. You tend to use fine needles for colour IIRC.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My tattoos:

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    @october_midnight . Using all mind techniques used with child birth. WTG. I get it now. Thanks.
    @icklekitty , what do you have on the nape of your neck? A friend of mine has 'I AM' I think that is brilliant. Though, I can't completely wrap my head around if you are only going to have one or two tats, wouldn't you want them to be where you can see them?

Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    My tattoos:

Where is this one. I like.
    Last edited by Dra508; 03-24-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I have a few planned in my mind.

I used to live in Nebraska, and couldn't really find what I was looking for. Now I live in NYC. I don't have the money yet. But even when I do, I likely won't have the time. I really would like to get at least one before I leave the city, though.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I'd describe them as feeling like a very hot scratch as opposed to painful.

Also you're not allowed to take painkillers, blood thinners, alcohol etc before your tattoo. I don't think I've ever been in a shop and seen anyone cry or yelp/scream, but you do get a lot of people trying to meditate through it. Just don't get tattooed on a leather chair when it's 100f outside. Eating a big meal beforehand is also recommended.

Fatty areas are the most painful for me. My wrist was OK, my lower leg was fine besides the bit over the tendon, and my nape of neck tattoo felt like a massage. Also I find thinner needles hurt more than thick ones. You tend to use fine needles for colour IIRC.
    Pretty close to my analogy: a cat's paw scratching sunburned skin.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    @icklekitty, what do you have on the nape of your neck? A friend of mine has 'I AM' I think that is brilliant. Though, I can't completely wrap my head around if you are only going to have one or two tats, wouldn't you want them to be where you can see them?
    "jouissance" - I admit the positioning was partly inspired by wanting it to be seen by whoever is fucking me.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Pretty close to my analogy: a cat's paw scratching sunburned skin.
    Now that just makes it sound adorable

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Tattoos

Not when they have claws extended.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    @october_midnight . Using all mind techniques used with child birth. WTG. I get it now. Thanks.
    @icklekitty , what do you have on the nape of your neck? A friend of mine has 'I AM' I think that is brilliant. Though, I can't completely wrap my head around if you are only going to have one or two tats, wouldn't you want them to be where you can see them?

Where is this one. I like.

To the right of my right elbow--you can see where it is here:
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-24-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My latest one! Wanted a line from the song for ages, just couldn't decide which bloody line! This song is so personal to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is the last one I got done, still toying with the idea of getting a background done on it as it fucking hurt lol

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The worst part of the healing process isn't the scabbing or the peeling or the itching but the few weeks of "fuck, is it scarred, why is it still shiny, why can I see the lines? HAVE I FUCKED IT ALL UP" while the top layers of skin exfoliate and everything settles in.

*taps fingers impatiently and googles for empathy*

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I have 11 tattoos and every time I get one, I forget how to take care of it whilst it heals.

Also, I'm gonna be getting my BA this June. So, as a grad gift to myself (because I'm not expecting anyone else to get me a grad gift), I'm thinking of getting another tattoo. If so, I kinda want to get either the NIN logo, Jeff Buckley related or something similar to anything off of this page.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I have 11 tattoos and every time I get one, I forget how to take care of it whilst it heals.

Also, I'm gonna be getting my BA this June. So, as a grad gift to myself (because I'm not expecting anyone else to get me a grad gift), I'm thinking of getting another tattoo. If so, I kinda want to get either the NIN logo, Jeff Buckley related or something similar to anything off of this page.
    i always forget, too. and i have 17 (wow, i don't think i've ever counted).

i vote for something jeff buckley related. maybe something along the lines of black beauty/a horse! or "wait in the fire" from grace, because that line is just amazing.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    i always forget, too. and i have 17 (wow, i don't think i've ever counted).

i vote for something jeff buckley related. maybe something along the lines of black beauty/a horse! or "wait in the fire" from grace, because that line is just amazing.
    I think that "she's a tear that hangs inside my soul forever" is my favorite JB line but I have no idea how that could fit in the context of my life.

I think I have ran out of room to have a tattoo. I mean, my whole body is not covered in tattoos, it just that I don't have much room to ink up on the places I would want another tattoo.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So after much interwebs stalking, I'm yet to see any really great NIN tattoos that don't consist of mainly lyrics. Or the NIN logo.

Can someone please prove me wrong?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ophelia_ View Post
    So after much interwebs stalking, I'm yet to see any really great NIN tattoos that don't consist of mainly lyrics. Or the NIN logo.

No, but my Danzig ones are pretty sweet.

I'm like a walking advertisement for Glenn at this point.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm in the market to get another tattoo (over an old tattoo). I'm not really in the market since $$ is low but I'm just happy I finally decided and I can start drawing my ideas. My cover up will be a beautiful bat!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Scroll back in this thread - someone on here has the Fragile flower, which is gorgeous.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    That actually sounds really gorgeous! I had a super quick scroll through earlier but I'll have a proper look when I get home

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

if you can find a good enough artist, they can take lyrics and turn them into a visual story.

my former friend has a half-sleeve that visually tells the story of the lyrics to Pyramid Song by radiohead, and it's one of the coolest, most beautiful tattoos i've ever seen. or, it was before she got it filled in with color. now it just looks tacky (to me).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    if you can find a good enough artist, they can take lyrics and turn them into a visual story.

my former friend has a half-sleeve that visually tells the story of the lyrics to Pyramid Song by radiohead, and it's one of the coolest, most beautiful tattoos i've ever seen. or, it was before she got it filled in with color. now it just looks tacky (to me).
    Wowzers! That sounds incredible.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need to hunt a really great artist down and get them to do something like that.

My other NIN inspired tattoo was also gonna be inspired by a concert poster, but there's just so many great designs to choose from.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    My other NIN inspired tattoo was also gonna be inspired by a concert poster, but there's just so many great designs to choose from.
    You just reminded me of the visuals for WT!!! Those are awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Scroll back in this thread - someone on here has the Fragile flower, which is gorgeous.
    *waves*

[At least I assume this was about me].

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Why this thread rated only 3 stars? Pls fix.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Ugh. Where does someone even begin to find the right artist in NYC? Overwhelming. Probably even more since it will be my first.