Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tattoos

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Got my Danzig tattoo today. More than pleased with it. In fact, over the fuckin' moon!

edit:

Now have three Danzig ones: Standard skull, 4p text and 777: I Lucferi artwork

Last edited by Ryan; 12-20-2015 at 03:44 AM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Meow!

(ten fucking characters)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Meow!

(ten fucking characters)
    that's beyond kick ass. I like it.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Why is the NIN logo upside down? (I don't think it's intentional, and it seems to be a common mistake. Just because it's symmetrical, doesn't mean that the tattoo artist doesn't have to make it reversed before putting it on the skin.)

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    just browsed for tattoo ideas on tumblr and found this:

hehe.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that they are absolutely gorgeous! Sorry

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Why is the NIN logo upside down?
    because her arms up

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minpin View Post
    because her arms up
    aaand... you're right. Somehow I saw it as the other girl's arm, and that would make it... whatever. My bad.

But hey, I was right about the gorgeous part!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Had my first ink done Friday afternoon. Hurt like a bitch. Worth it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I just went through the tattooed section of NIN.com and holy shit ! I never knew so many people could have bad taste.
    Last edited by Rdm; 06-17-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I just went through the tattooed section of NIN.com and holy shit ! I never knew so many people could have bad taste.
    It's so painful, isn't it? I basically used that thread as a guide for what NOT to do when I was thinking about my NIN tattoo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Does anyone have any finger tattoos? I was thinking about getting Max's crown (from Where The Wild Things Are) as a ring on my right hand. How quickly would it wear? How easy would it be to do? etc.
    Last edited by heroicraptor; 11-24-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Girl I know got a tattoo of a bite mark with infections spreading away from it on her arm. I may have to shoot her in the head before she becomes one of the undead...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Got my Danzig tattoo today. More that pleased with it. In fact, over the fuckin' moon!
    Three in total now, all Danzig-related:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    My buddy is back in the area from Oregon for a time, gonna have to hit him up and see if maybe we can get some more work put in on my leg. Also i think its about time to start fleshing out ideas so i can get my sleeve done or at least a few more on that arm.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Tattoos

I have fingers, hands, sleeves, chest & neck, all day of the dead

little by little we went insane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Tattoos

This is my latest one. It's of the Haunted Mansion at Disney World.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ That's pretty rad! A lot of good work done there.

My roommate just got his second tattoo, and it's pushing me to finally get my next one. I've always wanted the Demon Seed logo on my left forearm (exactly how it is in the splash page, just on the other arm), and with the biggest two weeks of the year coming up for our maintenance crew, I'll be making an extra 600-ish bucks over two weeks, so I can finally make it happen without having to worry about money coming back and biting me in the ass. I'm SUPER stoked for it, especially after seeing how his artist handled his. I might try to get the same guy, but from what I hear, the place downtown really doesn't have a bad artist, so I might try my luck and see if any of them are NIN fans that wanna help a brother out. They're a bit pricey, but the people I've known that've gone to them say it's worth the price. If there's anything I've learned about picking a parlor, it's that you generally get what you pay for.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Possibly the wrong thread for this question but it's the most relevant/related thread. Anyone have experience with tattoo removal? I have a rather small one of text that over the years I've liked less and less. It's either removal or just creating a non-text design to put over it, which is actually what I'd rather do but I'm just curious about anyone's experience with removing tats.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it was way harder to find this thread than it should have been...

anyway, got my newest one today!

it's in gallifreyan (the language of the time lords, for those of you who don't watch doctor who) and i won't tell you what it says, but it's a recurring theme in the lyrics of the band Rosetta, and is a concept that means quite a great deal to me.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Oooh I've been thinking of a Gallifreyan tattoo myself. I really like the alphabet.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Oooh I've been thinking of a Gallifreyan tattoo myself. I really like the alphabet.
    just make sure you have an artist who's good at both circles and thin line-work. a lesser tattoo artist could have easily botched this. the guy i went to had already done a whole doctor who chest piece for my best friend (i helped her design the gallifreyan, she has three phrases as part of it).

but, yeah, it's just such a beautiful and elegant-looking language, and i'm glad i was able to combine it with a concept that holds such deep meaning for me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

got this today: Okami Amaterasu (from the game Okami)
    designed by my best friend jl hirten and tattooed by the same artist who did my gallifreyan tattoo, allie sider at tatu tattoo.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

went back in and got this today!
    again designed by my best friend jl hirten and tattooed by allie sider at tatu tattoo.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I have 11 small tattoos throughout my body.

-A leaf on my right big toe.
    -My charmingly miserable wilted flower logo on both of my feet
    -My daughter's name above my left ankle
    -My niece's name above my right ankle
    -A koi fish on my left leg
    -Tori Amos' Scarlet's Walk girl on my right leg
    -Two different Tori Amos lyrics on either side of my ribs (one from 500 Miles and another one from Little Earthquakes)
    -A crown resting between my shoulders
    -A star on the cartilage of my right ear

I've always wanted to get a NIN tattoo but I have no idea what.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    a haida style moon (witha teetha, no less), sun and stars combo. medium sized. turquoise and purple inks. left cheek. (the moon and stars have been my "symbol" since i was very young. i always knew if i got a tattoo this would be the image i wanted. i only expected to have one tattoo)

a haida style humming bird, inner right arm above wrist. was black ink until psoriasis faded it to an odd bluish. (my best friend and i pushed really hard in the last election, in canada, and when the cons won a fucking majority we were so devastated we went out and got the hummingbird. it is from a movie on youtube.
    here:
    and we found the message of this movie both lovely and comforting...so this is what we chose to be inked with.)

and i am eventually getting another inner arm above wrist on the left, a totem pole with animals that represent my family. (a wolf for the eldest son, a snake for the youngest, not sure what the hubby wants for himself, and i am getting a dragon for myself. lol. the kids chose those animals, because they don't agree with the animals i chose for them when they were babies.)

i hate getting tattoos, btw. the sound of the machine, the feel of it...ugh. shudder. horrible. but the results...well worth it.
    Last edited by Lew; 02-14-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Shit photo...and it's NOT an NIN tattoo!

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...95760958_n.jpg

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Sooo, I decided that I want (and will have) a tattoo, and I'm (or was, whatever) the kinda person whose friends will faint when they'd hear about it, because it just doesn't seem like a thing I'd do. I'm scared as shit, but that's not the point now.

First of all, I recently started working out, and I'm not sure when should I consider making my tattoo, cuz I'm growing almost everywhere (got 10 kgs in 3 months), and I don't want a penis tattoo just to play it safe. I don't want my tattoo to be stretched out over the years. I was considering making it on my shoulders.

I was also thinking about making a NIN tattoo, but seeing how even you, the tattoo-experts could not make up your minds on one makes me worried. I liked the 2013 NIN logo (in light blue, though it might look kinda gay), aaaand... that's it, the list of NIN artworks is ridiculously small... 5IN, original NIN logo, the spiral, the hand (not that feeds), the WT sign, AIR logo and like that's all. From The Slip, Head Down is the closest to me, but it wouldn't look good as a tattoo. I like LITS too (both the song and the artwork) but it looks kinda minimalistic. A safe choice for sure, but if I get myself to have a tattoo I'd like something more brave. And colored.

If I'd get a NIN tattoo, I'd like to be able to get behind the meaning of it, i.e. I wouldn't want a Letting You tattoo, because I couldn't care less about politics, even if I dig the song. If it's not gonna be NIN-related, I think I'm fine with it just being cool and colored. That might be shallow, but I won't be like my aunt, tattooing a buddhist quote on her chest. Yes, fucking deep, but it's not my thing.

Edit: just for clarity, I'm not opting to be a ripped animal, so when I say I'm gonna grow, don't imagine some Schwarzenegger stuff.
    Last edited by Volband; 03-16-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I will say that if you get an AIR tattoo, most of us will smack you.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I liked the 2013 NIN logo (in light blue, though it might look kinda gay), aaaand... that's it, the list of NIN artworks is ridiculously small...
    seriously? you're worried about it looking "kinda gay"? what the fuck does that even MEAN!?

if you want a tattoo, get it. if it means something to you, and it's important enough for you to put it on yourself, get it. the meaning may change over the years, but as long as it still means SOMETHING, that's all that matters.

but if you're worried about it looking "kinda gay" then i'd say don't get a tattoo because if you're gonna be that shallow and juvenile about it, you're not mature enough to decide to permanently ink something on your skin.

edit: also, there's a HUGE amount of NIN artwork. every single page of the fragile booklet and the hesitation marks booklet (and, like you said, lots of stuff from the slip, most of which would actually look REALLY COOL as tattoos), and any number of visual representations of lyrics.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    seriously? you're worried about it looking "kinda gay"? what the fuck does that even MEAN!?

if you want a tattoo, get it. if it means something to you, and it's important enough for you to put it on yourself, get it. the meaning may change over the years, but as long as it still means SOMETHING, that's all that matters.

but if you're worried about it looking "kinda gay" then i'd say don't get a tattoo because if you're gonna be that shallow and juvenile about it, you're not mature enough to decide to permanently ink something on your skin.

edit: also, there's a HUGE amount of NIN artwork. every single page of the fragile booklet and the hesitation marks booklet (and, like you said, lots of stuff from the slip, most of which would actually look REALLY COOL as tattoos), and any number of visual representations of lyrics.
    Wow, okay. How am I shallow by not wanting to tattoo something feminine on my body? yes, imo light blue could look gay (aka girlish), why is it such a controversial statement? It's permanent, so let me have the freedom of not tattoing "and when I suck you off, not a drop will go to waste" with pink in comic sans on my forehead, even though NIN means a lot to me, I like that song, and I can get behind the lyrical content of it.

You might be right though, that I'm not ready for it, but one of the rasons I want to pull it through so that I can get ready for it. Yes, there's the little devil on my shoulder whispering "what if everyone will think it sucks?", and I am indeed worried about it, but I know I shouldn't, so if I could manage to not run away from it, it'd actually make me stronger. In my mind it makes sense, lol.

Yesterday I browsed through nin.com's tattoo thread, and I got alienated from the Slip artworks. I'd like something original. Visual representation of lyrics is exactly what I've been thinking about today, but that's damn challenging, especially cuz even if you have a certain image in mind, you somehow have to make the tattoo artist draw it.