Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Metallica

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The DVD or recent Blu-ray is worth getting. The deleted scenes paint a much deeper picture. I'm sure with all the footage that was shot (I think all told it was somewhere between one or two thousand hours, over the nearly three years of production), they probably could have filled up at least one more DVD of stuff.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The DVD or recent Blu-ray is worth getting. The deleted scenes paint a much deeper picture. I'm sure with all the footage that was shot (I think all told it was somewhere between one or two thousand hours, over the nearly three years of production), they probably could have filled up at least one more DVD of stuff.
    I'm particularly intrigued by the scenes with Dave Mustaine which my sister said were pretty embarrassing. I read his autobiography and I've always preferred Megadeth but I had no idea how bitter and sad he'd become over being booted out of the band

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

best part of the movie

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

best part of the movie

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I'm particularly intrigued by the scenes with Dave Mustaine which my sister said were pretty embarrassing. I read his autobiography and I've always preferred Megadeth but I had no idea how bitter and sad he'd become over being booted out of the band
    Seeing it again I'm not sure what to think of him in it, except that he clearly did carry all that anger and sadness still. They had their reasons for kicking him out but they went about it terribly, as can be expected of a group of guys in their early 20's, eager for the prize as they all were.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    What Gagatallica was supposed to sound like. (HINT: Really, really good!)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Metallica & Iggy playing "TV Eye", live in Mexico:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Got so close for the show in Dallas. They were fucking amazing. Managed to get a guitar pick too.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Went to the pop-up show in LA two days ago and here are a couple of photos....

There was a small room that had the electric chair and a bunch of orb thingies from the 80s, it was all pretty cool

and I walked away with this cool little pin

and my sister and I will be at the show this upcoming Sunday in San Diego. We eneded up getting the crazy expensive tickets that come with a dinner or something like that and should be fun.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Arena tour supposed to be announced tomorrow...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/met...american-tour/

...hopeful that I can get tickets for it to the new Bucks arena assuming this is true.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

With a tiny bit of NIN-spotting

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I've been on a Metallica kick lately, gearing up for the deluxe remaster of Justice.

(Legendary) producer Steve Thompson talked about it on a podcast. It hasn't been mentioned here yet, but as of February, there are no plans to remix the album. One of the reasons given is that the original source materials would be too difficult to sift through, because about 40,000 of those are Lars' drum takes.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Surely it can't be too much effort just to boost the bass track.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    With a tiny bit of NIN-spotting
    Only got to watch the vid briefly this morning due to being busy, (and still am unfortunately). What was the NIN spotting?...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Only got to watch the vid briefly this morning due to being busy, (and still am unfortunately). What was the NIN spotting?...
    James obviously likes NIN.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Let's not forget that Danny Lohner and Jeordie were both auditioning to play bass for Metallica during the filming of Some Kind of Monster as well as Pepper Keenan and Eric Avery. I'm sure I'm forgetting many others that auditioned.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Let's not forget that Danny Lohner and Jeordie were both auditioning to play bass for Metallica during the filming of Some Kind of Monster as well as Pepper Keenan and Eric Avery. I'm sure I'm forgetting many others that auditioned.
    Chris Wyse from The Cult and Scott Reeder from KYUSS also auditioned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    AJFA is one of my fav albums, i actually think a bass boost would tarnish it. ive heard a few weak iterations on youtube and it actually takes away from the sound they captured. it was an experiment that worked for the better, much unlike the tin can snare on st.anger.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I would have to find the Steve Thompson video interview where he talks about it more in-depth, but the way the album was mixed, the frequency of the drums cancels out the bass frequencies the majority of the mix.

They probably will just do a "louder/boosted" version, but as already pointed out, it tends to sounds more harsh because the bass and drums are so closely linked.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My main problem with AJFA is that the sound quality as a whole is horrible. It needs more than just a bass boost.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    My main problem with AJFA is that the sound quality as a whole is horrible. It needs more than just a bass boost.
    I don’t know. The production kinds gives it its vibe. Same with the original As the palaces burn release from lamb of god. It sounds like shit, but thats its character.

To me, AJFA sounds exacty how it needed to sound, after everything they went through beforehand.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I don’t know. The production kinds gives it its vibe. Same with the original As the palaces burn release from lamb of god. It sounds like shit, but thats its character.

To me, AJFA sounds exacty how it needed to sound, after everything they went through beforehand.
    i agree, it certainly helps that its arguably their high point - had AJFA been mixed like Black it couldve been a disaster (and vice versa). it worked perfectly for the material.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    i agree, it certainly helps that its arguably their high point - had AJFA been mixed like Black it couldve been a disaster (and vice versa). it worked perfectly for the material.
    Agreed. I love the way the riffs sound razor sharp and the drums are so punchy. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I was under the impression that it didn't have a bass track, more or less? Hence why they over dubbed everything like they did.

Also, didn't they already "remaster" this some years back?
    Last edited by Pillfred; 04-13-2018 at 02:15 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I was under the impression that it didn't have a bass track, more or less? Hence why they over dubbed everything like they did.

Also pt.2, this album is a lesson on straight riff-age.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 04-13-2018 at 02:18 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post

It's there, it's purposefully turned way down so Lars could get the drum sound he wanted:

As far as remastering, I understand the previous ones to be digitizations/CD masters rather than a full remastering. Remastering on the earlier releases is credited to George Marino.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

This made me laugh. Hard. Made my day!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I just scored 2 tickets to their recently announced Philly show (October 25th). The Pre-Sale started at noon today. Sitting in Section 117, Row 6. $343 for the both of them. Ouch! These are GNR prices, but I have no will power. Will be good to see them in an arena again.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    So....ive been getting into Metallica for the first time a few days ago.

I went through and listened to all their albums from KEA to Hardwired. here's my short opinion on them

KEA: Good riifs, though getting used to Hetfields early 80's is gonna take a while. Not a fan of the production but its still very solid. 7/10 for me

RTL: wow....what a fucking giant step up in quality, holy shit. Production is so much better, better riffs and songs (though James sounds like he's getting kicked in the crotch everytime he starts a lyric on the title track's verse), this album is awesome. 9/10

MoP: Its fucking Master of Puppets.....no but seriously, there isn't anything I can say that hasn't already be said. Sanitarium kicks ass, the songs kick ass, I made a horrible mistake trying to play Battery on rocksmith on my bass. Hell yes 10/10

AJFA:....is actually my favorite album. Lack of bass aside, I really think the longer songs give me more to enjoy, I like the progyness is has going on for it. Still killer riffs and lyrics, fucking wish they played Eye of the Beholder again/ 9/10

The Black Album: Such a step down imo, and its not the more hard rock/heavy metal approach, as you'll see next. It's certainly catchy....but...I dunno, I just don't really gel with this record much. Sad, But True kicks ass, Holier than Thou kicks ass....but im kinda meh on everything. 6/10

Load: I actually like Load a lot. There's a lot of filter sure, but I give credit, a lot of credit for Metallica for trying something different instead of being someone like Slayer where it never changes, not that it cant be done right. Ain't My Bitch, Bleeding Me, The Outlaw Torn, King Nothing and even songs i'm not much of a fan of musically like Mama Said, I can respect lyrically. Underatted. 8/10

Reload: More or less the same, though I like fewer songs on here. Good singles, Where The Wild Things Are and Fixxxer are great, but I like Load more. 7/10

St. Anger: ......................I'm indifferent. It has very good ideas, the snare doesn't really bother me, nor does the lack of solo's (Hardly any solo's on NIN songs) so that's not the issues. The issues are the godawful production, the stupid lyrics, James's raw voice, songs being WAY TO FUCKING LONG THEN THEY NEED TO...ugh...and it sucks because some of these riffs are so heavy and chunky....what a waste. I still like Some Kind of Monster, The Unnamed Feeling and even though it has a stupid ending, I like All Within My Hands. 5/10

Death Magnetic: Pretty solid return to form i'd say. It's not Master, but it's on the right track. The only track that i was pretty meh on was Suicide & Redemption....really did not need to be almost 10 minutes. Cyanide kicks ass, That Was Just Your Life kicks ass. All Nightmare Long and My Apocalypse kicks ass.....but
    OH MY FUCKING GOD RICK GET YOU FUCKING COMPRESSED DICK OFF OF THIS PRODUCTION JESUS FU--
    This album was fucking murder on my ears....my god...what a fucking disgrace. 7/10

Hardwired: TBH, I was pretty meh on this record. I liked Hardwired, I like the other singles, Spit Out The Bones kicks ass....but like St. Anger....it does not to be so fucking long. Why does it have to be so long? I can't even remember half of these songs...kinda a let down tbh. 6/10

and thats my story