Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Metallica

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    They basically need to leave the really fast numbers alone for an acoustic show. It'd be like Trent trying to do Gave Up or Wish acoustic. Just no.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I go way back with Metallica. Last time (summer 2017 stadium tour) they sounded great. Excellent show. The new "Justice" package is pretty good. I was at the Seattle show that has some songs on the live desk. Probably the best time I saw them.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    They basically need to leave the really fast numbers alone for an acoustic show. It'd be like Trent trying to do Gave Up or Wish acoustic. Just no.
    Generally speaking sometimes fast can work for acoustic stuff, like this...

But yeah, hard rock/metal doesn't translate as easily when it's so direct. Guns 'n Roses did "Welcome To The Jungle" at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit, and aside from the questionable quality of the band anyway that is not a song you can unplug so easily.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 07-20-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    the new remaster of "and justice for all" (the album itself) is like a sledgehammer to the brain. in a real good way.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    the new remaster of "and justice for all" (the album itself) is like a sledgehammer to the brain. in a real good way.
    So this is a new remaster? I thought maybe they did one a few years back but that may have just been a re-issue. I mentioned this to a friend at work and he seemed to think so as well. In any event I'm glad to see that I did indeed read whatever it was right. Will have to let him know and check it out for myself.

*Just listened to ...yep.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 11-19-2018 at 01:57 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    So this is a new remaster? I thought maybe they did one a few years back but that may have just been a re-issue. I mentioned this to a friend at work and he seemed to think so as well. In any event I'm glad to see that I did indeed read whatever it was right. Will have to let him know and check it out for myself.
    I'm curious too... maybe I put off buying the 45RPM a little while longer.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I'm curious too... maybe I put off buying the 45RPM a little while longer.
    Yes, it does sound better than the 2014 reissue. To my ears it sounds a bit punchier and more blended. Oh, fun fact... if you don't want to splurge on the boxed set version, the download code in the stand alone vinyl has the other 8 discs of material.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    So this is a new remaster? I thought maybe they did one a few years back but that may have just been a re-issue. I mentioned this to a friend at work and he seemed to think so as well. In any event I'm glad to see that I did indeed read whatever it was right.
    The last "round" of remasters was done by George Marino in 1995 (released in 1996); this included the first four albums (Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All). The (original) Blackened reissues are exact copies of the Elektra releases manufactured from 1995 and on. This is verifiable by using something like AccurateRip, CueTools, etc.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The last "round" of remasters was done by George Marino in 1995 (released in 1996); this included the first four albums (Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All). The (original) Blackened reissues are exact copies of the Elektra releases manufactured from 1995 and on. This is verifiable by using something like AccurateRip, CueTools, etc.
    My credits for "...And Justice" are this:

Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk, New York.
    Remastered by Bob Ludwig at Lurssen Mastering, Los Angeles, CA.
    Vinyl Laquers by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, CA.
    Reissues Executive Producer: Greg Fidelman

So I'm not sure how that all fits in with the the above.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    My credits for "...And Justice" are this:

Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk, New York.
    Remastered by Bob Ludwig at Lurssen Mastering, Los Angeles, CA.
    Vinyl Laquers by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, CA.
    Reissues Executive Producer: Greg Fidelman

So I'm not sure how that all fits in with the the above.
    You're looking at the credits for the latest remaster, yes? The newly remastered Blackened Recordings releases have an "R" in the catalog number. For instance, the original Blackened Recordings release for ...AJFA was BLCKND007-#. These are the ones that are exact copies of the Elektra discs. The new remaster for ...AJFA is BLCKND007R-#.

Here's the copy of ...AJFA most people are probably familiar with, and has been repressed countless times: https://www.discogs.com/Metallica-An...elease/2362993

Mastered by Bob Ludwig
    Remastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound, New York, NY

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You're looking at the credits for the latest remaster, yes?
    Yes (BLCKND007R-1), that's why I'm curious, because they do differ from what's already been posted and I'm trying to figure out how that integrates.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    did anyone try for this one and got lucky?

i sure didn't... and it now looks like another organized scalping scam.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So after going through my Metallica collection I've come to the conclusion that the Load / Reload / Garage Inc. / S&M era have the best production... and as a result, I tend to like those releases more.

And I was kinda surprised about just how poetic / visual Metallica's lyrics tend to be (I've never really read the lyrics before, but for re-encoding my collection I typed up what I had...).
    Last edited by MrLobster; 03-24-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    did anyone try for this one and got lucky?

i sure didn't... and it now looks like another organized scalping scam.
    Absolute fucking disaster on my end. I was on the page about an hour before sale went live, joined the queue as soon as one could, had 2k+ folks in front of me, and by the time I could get on the seating chart page, everything I clicked on would get the "These seats have already been purchased by another fan" message. I tried everything for a good 30 minutes until I realized all that was left were the damn TM Resale seats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So after going through my Metallica collection I've come to the conclusion that the Load / Reload / Garage Inc. / S&M era have the best production... and as a result, I tent to like those releases more.

And I was kinda surprised about just how poetic / visual Metallica's lyrics tend to be (I've never really read the lyrics before, but for re-encoding my collection I typed up what I had...).
    Load era is super fucking underrated.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Was just listening to Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn from the S&M DVD. To me, that's the best that Metallica ever was. I am not a metal fan and realize how ridiculous that might sound for fans of their 80's records. But I don't really give a fuck anymore. Seems like I've spent half of my life arguing with narrow-minded Metallica fans. I love most of their stuff (sans St. Anger) and it doesn't matter how "simple" Lars' drumming is or how "bad" the production on certain albums are. They are a treasure.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Was just listening to Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn from the S&M DVD. To me, that's the best that Metallica ever was. I am not a metal fan and realize how ridiculous that might sound for fans of their 80's records. But I don't really give a fuck anymore. Seems like I've spent half of my life arguing with narrow-minded Metallica fans. I love most of their stuff (sans St. Anger) and it doesn't matter how "simple" Lars' drumming is or how "bad" the production on certain albums are. They are a treasure.
    Agreed. S&M is one of my favorite things in music ever. Just wish they would have done The Unforgiven for that... maybe with the new one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    If they don't do The Unforgiven III, it'll be a huge missed opportunity IMO. Of the material released since the original S&M, that song stands out as one that would lend itself extremely well to the S&M treatment. Other songs that I'd like to see featured (that haven't already been on the first S&M) include Fade to Black, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), The Unforgiven, My Friend of Misery, Low Man's Lyric, Mama Said, King Nothing, Turn the Page, The Unnamed Feeling, The Day That Never Comes, The Unforgiven II, Now That We're Dead, Dream No More, Halo on Fire.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Mama Said and My Friend of Misery, yes please.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Props to them on the second show, That Is a cool second chance.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    What the heck?
    https://loudwire.com/metallica-rep-live-nation-scam/
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...oncert-tickets

"Between 2016 and 2017, "about a dozen artists out of the thousands we work with asked us to do this," the company said in a statement to Billboard."

Would love to see that list.

Edit" Well, perhaps not news at all, except that it identifies a bank. Trent talked about this years ago: https://www.stereogum.com/58831/tren...rtists_w/news/
    Last edited by sinspots; 07-19-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Hetfield reasserted his stance on keeping the original mix intact, commenting, "And why would you change that? Why would you change history? Why would you all of a sudden put bass on it? There is bass on it, but why would you remix an album? You can remaster it, yes, but why would you remix something and make it different? It'd be like… I don't know. Not that I'm comparing us to the Mona Lisa, but it's, like, 'Uh, can we make her smile a little better?!' You know?! Why?"

https://loudwire.com/james-hetfield-...e-for-all-mix/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Why can't they just say "We used to hate Jason. We still do, but we used to, to."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Why can't they just say "We used to hate Jason. We still do, but we used to, to."
    Even as a long-time Metallica fan I've never understood any of this. Why would you hire someone you didn't like? None of the relationship stuff with Jason I understand at all. He's always seemed like the most friendly and passionate dude that's hard to dislike. But I haven't seen 'Some Kind of Monster' so not sure if that clarifies things at all. I dipped out of the Metallica world after S&M and didn't check back in until Death Magnetic.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    But I haven't seen 'Some Kind of Monster' so not sure if that clarifies things at all.
    It kind of does (in the sense of showing the personalities in the band), but worth watching regardless... at least once.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Part of the band's grief for Cliff manifested itself into the hazing that ensued, before it turned into out and out jealousy for the Echobrain thing. It's a bit of a shame because Jason was more than just a great bass-player and energy on stage, he seemed to be more connected to the fans than the other guys. Even more sad is that he has not utilized his talents into something that could have established him in the marketplace.