Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Metallica

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    What happened?
    Time. It gets the best of us. Hasn't been the kindest to Lars I'd say but at least he hasn't gone down plastic surgery street. *cough* AXL ROSE *cough*

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I heard Lars might be moving back to Denmark due to the results of the election, is he really going to do it?
    Its not like Denmark is some perfect tolerant society these days, I don't think any country is immune to it anymore

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/wo...cism.html?_r=0

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

that is all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The album is very good. The Black Album meets Reload with a bit of thrash thrown in.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Telling you guys, new Anthrax ftw. If you want a good, old-school thrash album. New Megadeth too.

Now I'll shut up about them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Telling you guys, new Anthrax ftw. If you want a good, old-school thrash album. New Megadeth too.

Now I'll shut up about them.
    Agreed on both - really good albums!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Well, this is the record I feel should have followed the Black album.

That being said, I think its a good Metallica record, for today's Metallica. This is not a OMG ITS MASTER PART 2!!! It's just them letting everyone know they can still jam.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Last edited by LaneSax; 11-16-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anyone else getting ReLoad vibes from Dream No More?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Pretty bored with most of these, but also happy they didn't just copy DM, which is basically unapproachable to me still.

I was super impressed with "Moth Into Flame," and I got really good vibes from "Halo of Flies." I'm only going by the video thing they're doing (waiting for FLAC!), though. I'm seeing the hype on "Spit Out the Bone" and looking forward to it. Overall, certainly the best Metallica release I've experienced since becoming a fan through S&M, their last true masterstroke imo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I have grown to appreciate Moth into Flame after listening to HQ version
    hope the rest grow too. Quite boring some of them

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Anyone else getting ReLoad vibes from Dream No More?
    Very much so, a lot of the album recalls Reload I think. Enjoying it, a coupla filler in there - Now That we're Dead and Here Comes Revenge. Apart from that, a solid release I think. With a really good production for a change!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    went for a run in the dark, thunder and rain whilst doing my first listen. Really enjoyed the lp, its a bit long, but I often think double albums are about having the choice between two sides rather than the whole thing. anywho, it's good, it does hark back to Load/Reload in places but the production is a bit.. samey. Then again, Metallica just don't make albums about production and studio tricks anymore. To some thats a bit of a cop out, but to me its functional, and sounds a lot better than Death Magnetic.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

James pretty much sings this at same volume as electric.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    After a few more listens, im really enjoying this. Heard Lords Of Summer through the video and for the first time in a long time, I will be picking up a Metallica record tomorrow. 3 disk version is only 10 bucks at best buy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    all the videos here

https://metallica.com/

I am on disc 3 now, so far it's an alright album.
    I echo the comments that this would have been a good follow up to the Black Album.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Happy Metallica Day! The first four songs; good god!! The record gets a little "Re-Load-y" in the middle there, but ends very strong. Solid playing throughout and great riffs. This band is an American Treasure. And if you're too pretentious to look past Lars' simple playing, then go listen to Anthrax' tuneless drivel.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Solid album throughout with the exception of the stretch "Here Comes Revenge", "Am I Savege?" and "Murder One", good god I loath those songs. ManUNkind, despite the cringe-worthy title, is one fine song. Excellent chorus and glorious video, apparently 'tis the cast of Åkerlund's (director) upcoming Mayhem film performing the song in the music video.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    better than I expected.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Very solid album, much better than anticipated, based on the singles. Listening to it as a whole, I'm quite happy with it. Kind of a Justice-Load hybrid. A solid 4/5.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I need a few more listens before I can deliver a reasoned verdict, but right now? Holy shit this is way better than it has any business being.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yeah. It does plod a bit in the third act, but it's otherwise a very good album.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I am very fucking impressed.
    I sure didn't see THIS shit coming.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    They still like Cthulhu.

I still like them.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    For ten bucks (at Best Buy) you get three discs and a cool booklet, which is a good value. While they could fit the album on one disc (just the album proper), I get why they split it into two discs. I does break it up. Better to listen to half the album, take a coffee break, finish it up later, rather than listen to nearly 80 minutes in one sitting. Besides, they still kept the cost down.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My issue... what was the point of splitting up the album across two discs when they both fit on one? Do people really need two CDs to break up an album? You could just do that yourself. Hey I'll stop after track 6 and continue later. I dunno, seems to dumb to split it. I'm just glad they're not trying to overcharge fans for a double disc that could have been a single. So at least they have that.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    My issue... what was the point of splitting up the album across two discs when they both fit on one? Do people really need two CDs to break up an album? You could just do that yourself. Hey I'll stop after track 6 and continue later. I dunno, seems to dumb to split it. I'm just glad they're not trying to overcharge fans for a double disc that could have been a single. So at least they have that.
    I felt exactly the same way, but I get it now. By splitting it up, it forces the listener to see it as a double album, not necessarily to be digested in 80 minutes. You are right, you can do that yourself it it were a single disc, but with this format, it does it for you. Besides, most people would probably not stop after track six.This way, it makes the listener see it as a piece of work with two acts. As the consumer is still only charged the cost of a single disc, it doesn't bother me. If it were 30 dollars for the special edition (ten bucks a disc), I'd feel like it's a rip-off.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-19-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I felt exactly the same way, but I get it now. By splitting it up, it forces the listener to see it as a double album, not necessarily to be digested in 80 minutes. You are right, you can do that yourself it it were a single disc, but with this format, it does it for you. Besides, most people would probably not stop after track six.This way, it makes the listener see it as a piece of work with two acts. As the consumer is still only charged the cost of a single disc, it doesn't bother me. If it were 30 dollars for the special edition (ten bucks a disc), I'd feel like it's a rip-off.
    I would have just kept it as a single disc and do like you said, label it as Act I and Act II on the tracklisting. If you think listeners have no attention span, just wait til they have to take care of and drag around 2 CDs instead of one. Most people who are experiencing this album are probably doing so digitally, which goes against the 2CD separation. I understand why they thought of separating into two CDs, but I think it'll hurt them more with casual listeners than help. I love physical music, so it's not like I'm against it. Just imagining how today's casual listener will look at it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm just glad we have a good, new Metallica album in 2016.