Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Metallica

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    There are two versions. The first is purely orchestral and it's alright? The second sounds like a little louder version - maybe this one's with the band? - but no vocals at all.

Why it's there twice is so strange. Heck, why it's there once is pretty odd.
    In January 2019, it was announced that James Newton Howard joined the production as the film score composer.[81] By August 2020, it was revealed that Metallica collaborated with Howard on an instrumental version of the song "Nothing Else Matters", for the film. According to the band's drummer Lars Ulrich, Metallica worked on the film after Walt Disney Pictures president Sean Bailey, felt like Jungle Cruise was "the right fit" for a collaboration between Disney and Metallica. Bailey had been "always looking for the right match where there was a way that Metallica could contribute to some Disney project".[82] The band members recorded their parts from their individual studios, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[83]

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Metallica announced a surprise pop-up show at the Metro (capacity of 1,100 and they haven't played there since 1983) in Chicago today (setlist here) with tickets for $20 and I just so happened to be in the area for Riot Fest. Unfortunately, I was already on my way to the airport when I found out about it and also the line for tickets (they had to be purchased from the box office in person) was so long wrapped around two blocks, so chances are I wouldn't have lucked out anyway. I'm sure that was an amazing experience for anyone lucky enough to have scored tickets!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i got lucky - it was great. setlist was fantastic, played some rarities as well: harvester of sorrow, through the never, ride the lightning.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    i got lucky - it was great. setlist was fantastic, played some rarities as well: harvester of sorrow, through the never, ride the lightning.
    Holy cow! Nice!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    There are two versions. The first is purely orchestral and it's alright? The second sounds like a little louder version - maybe this one's with the band? - but no vocals at all.

Why it's there twice is so strange. Heck, why it's there once is pretty odd.
    That is funny. The right collaboration for Metallica and Disney was Jungle Cruise lol. Like bread and butter.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm listening to the bootleg from the Chicago show - the one from Metallica, mind you - and are they usually this minimal? I've heard better audience recordings.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Hetfield and the boys seem to be in good form on this tour. Even Lars seems like he has been practicing drumming during the hiatus

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Hetfield and the boys seem to be in good form on this tour. Even Lars seems like he has been practicing drumming during the hiatus
    saw pearl jam over the weekend and it's a similar case, maybe this break did magic on many of these pre 2000 guys (for lack of a better term)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    saw pearl jam over the weekend and it's a similar case, maybe this break did magic on many of these pre 2000 guys (for lack of a better term)
    Ohana Encore? I was there the previous weekend!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Ohana Encore? I was there the previous weekend!

yes, first concerts since shit covid and one of my favorite bands in fine form, that was an awesome feeling.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

not as bad as I thought it would be. I see on discogs it's starting at $110 so I guess I'll have to make do with youtube for now.
    Last edited by allegate; 10-13-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I like what they did with the setlist for the first night of the 40th anniversary shows (although they just can't let Sad But True die, can they?). Second night, not so much.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    It's just been announced that Metallica is playing Boston Calling on Sunday May 29th. Only 3 passes are available now but they will sell single day passes at some point. My wife and I had single day tickets to see Rage headline before covid stopped that from happening. I think we paid like $100 or $150 a ticket for the single day, can't remember exactly. Just an FYI if anyone is interested in attending.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I picked up that 2021 180g remastered Metallica (self-titled) release... it's very good. The guitars sound more dynamic to my ears (in certain parts). I dig it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was listening to a podcast the other day with someone who worked at Harmonix back when Rock Band was huge. He said that the mixes made for the game from the masters actually had bass in them - I don't recall, it's been awhile - but it caused people to clamor for the full album mixed like that.

Instead:
    They decided not to adjust the mix for the remastered 2019 reissue, saying: "These records are a product of a certain time in life; they're snapshots of history and they're part of our story ... And Justice for All could use a little more low end and St. Anger could use a little less tin snare drum, but those things are what make those records part of our history."[30]

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I was listening to a podcast the other day
    I get that. And unless they put a lot of effort into advertising that these are the "FAN FAVOURITE" mixes for rerelease (which, to be honest, could still happen), I see why they'd want to keep it original, as it were. Still, I may just pick up and original pressing of ...And Justice to compare against. Not like they are expensive...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    at this point it's like releasing the OG Star Wars: everyone who is a fan knows how much they'd pay for it and the people who control those decisions keep leaving money on the table.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    metallica.com has a few copies of the hammett ep for those who are not near a store

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Portals was much better than it deserved to be! James and Lars need to let him write on the next record

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know I'm late on this, but Kirk Hammett's EP is fantastic.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Metallica Gets Its Own Metal-Themed Pro-Ject Turntable, and I Will Fight You for One

The Metallica Limited Edition Turntable will be available this summer for $1,599.
    fuck off.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    A bargain at twice the price!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't know that the band that released the most bricked album in the peak of the loudness war, not to mention another album on which they mixed their bass player out, should be selling turntables

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    *Gene Simmons takes notes*

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Perfect to spin next years St Anger 20th Anniversary Reissue on.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Perfect to spin next years St Anger 20th Anniversary Reissue on.
    Now we can listen to James Hetfield whine in ulta hi fi. Not my favorite Metallica record but not so good Metallica is still better than a lot of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After all these re-issues and anniversaries am I waiting for their new CD. It's been a long while since Hardwired and they have practised quite a bit. They are playing much better and sound really good too. It's official they are working on it, but I'm curious how is it going to be. Hopefully more thrashy and a little bit of Black Album. They still got it, just have to prove it through new songs.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    To be honest, I'd like them to make an attempt on another Load-like album. The last couple albums, while not bad, for me seem to be missing some space and meat - they're too dry and condensed. And please!, allow your bassist to write more...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atu View Post
    for me seem to be missing some space and meat - they're too dry and condensed. And please!, allow your bassist to write more...
    this is spot on.

there are no peaks and valleys in any of their songs anymore, all just simple one direction. hardwired esp was just that machine gun snare all album, pretty boring.

fidelman is brutal with them, he needs to go. they need someone like joe baressi, let the instruments breathe.