Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Metallica

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The new album is solid. All of the songs run dangerously close to blending together but there's just enough there to give each song its own identity, and holy fuck when Metallica hit their mark on some of these songs they prove once again they still got it. Favorites are Dream No More, Halo of Fire, and Spit out the Bone. Hardwired and Confusion are both great tracks to kick off both halves of the album, although the first six songs are much stronger than the latter six. ManUnkind, Here Comes Revenge, and Murder One are certainly the weakest tracks on the album, but the opener, closer, and Am I Savage? make up for that. Really enjoyed the music videos they released for these songs too. The first six are just performance videos but the other ones are very creative and unique for each entry. I'm looking forward to hearing these songs live.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    after about 4 listens my faves so far:
    Hardwired
    Now That We Are Dead
    Dream No More
    Confusion
    ManUNKind
    Spit Out the Bone

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    ... If it were 30 dollars for the special edition (ten bucks a disc), I'd feel like it's a rip-off.
    Huh, want a laugh? checked one local shop. They want 33 USD for basic edition and 40 for the deluxe. Sorry guys, Napster awaits lol

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    This sounds so much better!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I listened to the album and it was ok. It kinda bled together after a while. No clue why they had to act like every song minus the title track had to be over 6+ minutes long.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    customary album ranking time?

1. Ride the Lightning
    2. Kill 'Em All
    3. Master of Puppets
    4. Load
    5. ...and Justice For All
    6. Hardwired...to Self Destruct
    7. Metallica
    8. Death Magnetic
    9. St. Anger
    10. ReLoad

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    1. RTL
    2. Black Album
    3. MOP
    4. KEA
    5.AJFA
    6.LOAD
    7. HTSD
    8. DM
    9. ReLoad
    10. SA

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Waiting for my copy of Hardwired from Amazon and have t listened to it yet, so...

1- MoP
    2- RTL
    3- Justice
    4- Kill em All
    5- ...

...the rest should be buried along with the Atari E.T. cartridges in New Mexico or wherever, never to be heard from again. I'd honestly rather listen to Nickelback than that shitty Load/Reload crap.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    1. Ride the Lightning
    2. Master of Puppets
    3. Kill 'Em All
    4. ...And Justice For All
    5. Metallica
    6. Load
    7. Reload
    8. Hardwired...to Self Destruct
    9. Death Magnetic
    10. St. Anger

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    1 - ...And Justice For All
    2 - Master of Puppets
    3 - Ride the Lightning
    4 - Load
    5 - Metallica
    6 - Hardwired
    7 - Death Magnetic
    8 - Kill 'Em All
    9 - Reload
    10 - St. Anger

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    #1 Lulu

#2 through #10 - Does it really matter?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    how can people sit there and rank albums already when its been out less than a week... sheesh give it some time to settle into your psyche.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    This is an interesting listen. Very informative. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

http://www.revolvermag.com/artist-ne...e-online/22741

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    1. Puppets
    2. Justice
    3. Lightning
    4. Load
    5. Black/Metallica
    6. Death Magnetic (Mastered for ITunes version, natch)
    7. Hardwired
    8. ReLoad
    9. Kill 'Em All
    10. St. Anger

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    01 Master of Puppets
    02 ...And Justice For All
    03 Ride the Lightning
    04 Death Magnetic
    05 Hardwired... To Self Destruct
    06 The Black Album
    07 Load
    08 Kill 'Em All
    09 Reload
    100000000000000000000...... St. Anger

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    it's a decent effort at best.....there is very little to differentiate one song from the next. the plague that started with load(s) has continued, they've manged to make themsleves sound like a high end garage band - there are no dynamics, no range. it's all just straight ahead simple rock, hardly what made them one of the best bands of all time.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    how can people sit there and rank albums already when its been out less than a week... sheesh give it some time to settle into your psyche.
    Because with just a few listens, it's not hard to see that it ranks below the first five, but is better than some more recent albums. It's a fine album, but the first five is their legacy, everything else is gravy.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I find myself enjoying this album a lot. They have an undeniable sound...very visceral.. and it's hitting with me on this release. Maybe it's the 12 year old Metallica geek inside of me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Lords of Summer ain't too bad a track either

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I find myself enjoying this album a lot. They have an undeniable sound...very visceral.. and it's hitting with me on this release. Maybe it's the 12 year old Metallica geek inside of me.
    I think it's because they actually gave a fuck about writing great songs this time. Because that's what was left to prove after they "proved" they could still make metal post-Garage Inc. (St. Anger) and "proved" they could still thrash like the old days after that wasn't enough (Deaf Magnetic). The difference, of course, being that this time was actually a success.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Count me in with those who appreciated Load and Reload. Sure they were a departure from the sound Metallica helped to pioneer the previous decade, but I thought their transition from thrash to rock was done much better than what they got credit for.

Just listened to the new album and it’s pretty good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Count me in with those who appreciated Load and Reload. Sure they were a departure from the sound Metallica helped to pioneer the previous decade, but I thought their transition from thrash to rock was done much better than what they got credit for.

Just listened to the new album and it’s pretty good.
    Load is a great album. I don't get all the hate. New album is good. Best thing they have done since Load. Would have been so much better as a single 6-7 track album in my opinion. I feel like a bunch of the songs sound the same and Lords of Summer is better than half of the actual album tracks. Still, I think Load is much better. Maybe it wasn't trashy or all that heavy, but the song writing was good and it didn't sound like I was listening to the same 10 songs in a row. It is also probably the only Metallica album where I don't think the solos sound super generic.

Edit: Lars has always been a pretty terrible drummer, but on this album it is really bad. I think this is probably my biggest problem. It is like 80 minutes of Lars pounding on his snare drum as if he just can't think of anything to play. I would probably like it much more had the drums not been so irritating. I can't imagine someone who has played for so long could really be that bad... it is probably more of just creative laziness than ability. Again, I don't find the drumming on Load all that bad and the actual drum sound and mix is decent...
    Last edited by buckaroo; 11-30-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Wish I could get into the new album, after hearing and liking the riffsoff the two first "singles" I ignored all YT vids/music until Amazon order arrived. Ain't feeling it at all- sounds like a mix of too long songs fused from the black album through the "Load" era. Meh. :/

The good news: F/S new barely used Metallica CD 3 discs for cheap. :P

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'll be sticking to the actual metal songs on the record (Hardwired, Atlas Rise, Moth To Flame, Spit Out The Bone & I guess Confusion) plus the bonus stuff on disc 3. The rest is fine I guess but not worthy of coming back to for me. Not when there's so much other, better music out there.

Would be cool if Metallica only sticks to the above songs for new album content when they tour next year. Play the four listed above, nothing from Death Magnetic/St. Anger/Load/Reload & 2 or 3 obscure Black album or older tracks, and then the rest would be the classics. Hopefully up there for like 2 & a half hours, with a good metal band on the come-up opening.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I listed to the new album again yesterday and I was thinking it was maybe better than I had originally given it credit for... now, this isn't meant as a dig at Metallica at all, just a comment... I thought the new album was pretty decent when listening to it on it's own and then I turned it off to listen again to the new Testament and realized compared to other releases this year it's really not that great and I am surprised how bad it sounds in comparison (Testament, Megadeth, Death Angel, Dark Tranquillity, Gojira, Vader, Serpentine Dominion...). I just thought that when you compare it within the context of other "recent" Metallica releases it does sound pretty good, but then you think about other bands, some of which are their peers, and I it gives you a completely different opinion, for me anyway.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Finally had a chance to listen to James Hetfield on JRE:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Lars is on the latest episode of Chris Jericho's podcast, too.