Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 105

Thread: What to expect production wise for the North American tour?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    What to expect production wise for the North American tour?

    The way it's billed I'm going to assume Nine Inch Nails is headlining every night. Does this mean they'll have their full production like on Tension and Soundgarden will just use basic lights and maybe a screen? Will it be updated to accommodate outdoor amphitheaters or will they have a stripped down version like on the Australian shows?

    Really hoping they treat it like a Nine Inch Nails concert and Soundgarden just opens... there's no reason for SG to have their own lights and stuff if it's just going to detract from the main event.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    There is no 'main event' - this is a co-headline tour. It's been stated absolutely nowhere that NIN will even play last every night. I'd expect something quite stripped down compared to Tension, but who knows with Trent.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 03-24-2014 at 10:46 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,075
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    White strobes for Wish.
    Red/blue strobes for Gave Up.
    Red for Closer. Green for Reptile.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,214
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Yeah... I'm honestly not expecting much.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    512
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rob's been extremely quiet lately... i'd like to assume that he is constructing the ultimate light/glitch/aneurism inducing Voltron-esque Robot from all the lighting rigs from previous tour productions..
    Last edited by r_k_f; 03-24-2014 at 11:58 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern california
    Posts
    978
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    80 minute sets. plenty of performances of hurt, HLAH, THTF, Only, Survivalism, March of the Pigs, Piggy, no Fragile songs, no rare Broken or PHM songs, no rare TDS songs

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,380
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Rob's been extremely quiet lately... i'd like to assume that he is constructing the ultimate light/glitch/aneurism inducing Voltron-esque Robot from all the lighting rigs from previous tour productions..
    if he is it better be for Europe is all I can say

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,342
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    80 minute sets. plenty of performances of hurt, HLAH, THTF, Only, Survivalism, March of the Pigs, Piggy, no Fragile songs, no rare Broken or PHM songs, no rare TDS songs
    I hate how much I've been agreeing with this guy lately. Is this normal?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,313
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It's not like most of the things he's saying are bad. It's just the fact that it's coming from bill.

    The last part is the only part to potentially worry about, but I don't know. I've heard that Soundgarden doesn't fuck around with stale setlists, so maybe Trent will acknowledge that and do the same thing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,070
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    I imagine they will be rotating who opens as with QOTSA. Soundgarden are not support, and if you consider them such you won't enjoy their set.

    As for the production, probably will be very similar to Oz, they can't do a big rig unless the bands share effects or something, which would be a pain. But you'll probably still get better than Europe.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Everything I've seen has Nine Inch Nails above Soundgarden or it says Soundgarden is supporting Nine Inch Nails. My bad.

    I hope they use the tension set up again, it would be a shame if they just use it for one tour.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,147
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Everything I've seen has Nine Inch Nails above Soundgarden or it says Soundgarden is supporting Nine Inch Nails. My bad.
    Agreed, the tour language most certainly makes it sound like SG would be opening up for NIN.

    If SG opens up for NIN, I say a stripped down tension show is in order. If SG/NIN flips a coin, then I would presume it's a similar rig to the QOTSA/NIN shows?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,070
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Spoiler: NIN/QOTSA didn't really flip a coin

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada, West Coast
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I expect something like the NINJA string of dates. Doubt Trent wants to pull off another huge production like Tension and the festivals just yet. But, he is a workaholic so you never know.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    within view of The Rockies
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I personally hope we have a more stripped down visual show than Tension, simply because it opens up the possibility of changing setlists more. We all know a super visual show means a rigid setlist.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,147
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I personally hope we have a more stripped down visual show than Tension, simply because it opens up the possibility of changing setlists more. We all know a super visual show means a rigid setlist.
    LOL, you haven't seen "rigid setlists" until you've been a Tool fan.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,662
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I'd be super happy with something similar to what they pulled off during the '06 summer tour.

    Alas a co-headlining tour doesn't really get my hopes up for anything, probably gonna use the stuff they had Down Under- which might actually look a bit better at amphitheaters that have tiered seating.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    White strobes for Wish.
    Red/blue strobes for Gave Up.
    Red for Closer. Green for Reptile.
    Orange for Burn.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Orange for Burn.
    strobes, lasers & pyros for the frail

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by draven View Post
    strobes, lasers & pyros for the frail
    Rammstein-like rockets for La Mer.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Canada, West Coast
    Posts
    1,088
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post

    Alas a co-headlining tour doesn't really get my hopes up for anything, probably gonna use the stuff they had Down Under- which might actually look a bit better at amphitheaters that have tiered seating.
    Some different Fragile songs would be nice. They have time off between S.A, Europe and the N.A legs, hopefully some different songs get into the setlists

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    Some different Fragile songs would be nice. They have time off between S.A, Europe and the N.A legs, hopefully some different songs get into the setlists
    "Please" would be nice, plus the appendage. That's never been done live before with +Appendage and would sound ace.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Rammstein-like rockets for La Mer.
    Confetti cannons for Hurt

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,147
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    fuck it, house lights for the entire 2 hours.

    #99ProblemsAndBudgetIs1

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    within view of The Rockies
    Posts
    2,311
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    LOL, you haven't seen "rigid setlists" until you've been a Tool fan.
    I went to 2 shows with the exact, song for song, same setlist. I don't think it gets more rigid than that?

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,342
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I personally hope we have a more stripped down visual show than Tension, simply because it opens up the possibility of changing setlists more. We all know a super visual show means a rigid setlist.
    I'd say the same thing, but then looking at the Australia tour, I really doubt that would happen. The visuals were pretty stripped down compared to Tension but the setlists had little real change, more just change in ordering than anything.

    I'd really be happy with something like the festival production from last year; it was cohesive and looked fantastic without being super-focused on the visual element of everything. If we're only getting 80 minutes of NIN, then I'd really like some amount of visuals to add to it.

    Oh and as for the different effects for individual songs, you all know you want the Japanese backup dancers for God Given. It's gonna happen.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,147
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I went to 2 shows with the exact, song for song, same setlist. I don't think it gets more rigid than that?
    Might've gotten unlucky? If you look at all the songs played in NZ/AUZ/JP, it's quite a few. Hell just look at Day 1/2/3 in Japan.

    Tool toured through CAN/MX/US and everyone got 9-11 songs out of a pool of 13 or 14.

    here's how bad it was/is, fansite made this shirt:


    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 03-24-2014 at 08:52 PM.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,662
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Here's a visual I'd like TR to get rid: his Bieber pants. Even he can't make those things look cool.

    And no, I'm not talking about Trent doing a strip mid show. :P

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,147
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Here's a visual I'd like TR to get rid: his Bieber pants. Even he can't make those things look cool.

    And no, I'm not talking about Trent doing a strip mid show. :P
    they are indeed terrible.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,313
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    What are you talking about, those are the only reason I even go to shows.

Posting Permissions