Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Emulation, Wii Mods and Classic Games

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

Emulation, Wii Mods and Classic Games

Ok, so i am an oldschool gaming nut and have been playing games on emulators on the computer for years.
    I recently realized that you can soft-mod your Nintendo Wii (meaning you don't have to open it,) and make it play emulators.
    Furthermore, all of this is legal.

I am currently in retro-gaming heaven, playing SNES, NES, Sega Genesis, and surprisingly, mostly Gameboy Advance games. i never realized what a powerhouse that thing was!

This might could have been two threads, but i didn't want to be the guy who starts two threads in one forum on one day.

SO. Who else has their wii modded and what all have you gotten it to do? (i'm new to this.)

Secondly, what are the best classic (pre-playstation/n64) games in your opinion?

I'm currently playing through Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Final Fantasy VI (III) and Zelda: Oracle of the Seasons, and all three are blowing my mind.

To keep this thread legal, remember that we only use roms as back up copies for games we already own.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just finished Link To The Past on my iPhone a few hours ago!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    hell yes! man, i don't like the 3-d zelda. i finished link to the past on the computer a couple of years ago. I was really happy to find that there are 3 2D zeldas of which i wasnt aware: GBA's the Minish Cap, and GBC's Oracle of the Seasons and Oracle of the Ages. The graphics on seasons/ages haven't aged well, but they still kick ass...still give me that "can't put it down" feeling.
    And the Minish Cap looks great.

What are you using on yer phone, @slave2thewage ? I have SGNES (i think it's called,) but DAMN i have a hard time with those on screen buttons.

Gameboy (and snes of course) on my big ass flatscreen is a fucking TRIP, on the other hand.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    SiOS for SNES, GBA4iOS for GB/GBA. The phone isn't jailbroken so these are the only ones available via certain googleable ways. COUGHiemulators.comCOUGH

Edit - I NEED THIS NOW
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 03-09-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Anyone have info on how to emulate on a Mac?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    Anyone have info on how to emulate on a Mac?
    http://coolrom.com/emulators/mac/

Great site. Here's the trick though.
    When you download something, make sure to choose "alternative download link with ads and timer."

Don't really click on the ad...just wait the 15 seconds or whatever (you should see a countdown.)

If you chose the other thing, *Download now (emphasis on the * i think,) it will try to add a bunch of horse shit to your computer.

Always choose alternative download link, wait until the 15 seconds run out on the timer and you will be good to go!

Good god, i love sharing the joy of emulation with someone who doesn't have it because emulators have been such a fucking light in my life.
    You can get that nostalgic feeling from a more innocent time, AND play the bad ass games that you read about in magazines or saw at your homeboy's house, but couldn't afford. I know it may sound crazy, but i'm serious: i fucking LOVE emulators!

You should be playing your, ahem, perfectly legal backups for games you already own or previews you will delete in 24 hours, in no time!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double post, but hey, @slave2thewage , have you noticed what a bad ass system GBA is? i'm playing it more than my SNES!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I never modded a console or a handheld to play older games instead I bought a Raspberry PI and made that my retro console.

Great guide on how to do the same.
    http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-yo...sole-498561192

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ok, so i am an oldschool gaming nut and have been playing games on emulators on the computer for years.
    I recently realized that you can soft-mod your Nintendo Wii (meaning you don't have to open it,) and make it play emulators.
    Furthermore, all of this is legal.
    i've done exactly that with my wii... have all the SNES/NES/genesis/atari 2600 games running with the tip of my finger, all loaded off an SD card. brilliant, considering the virtual console was far from complete.

basically, you just need the homebrew app to get all the emulators, and download all of the games from your site of choice and slap them in their respective SD card folders...

as for my favorites, you can check my top 25 video games and VG you will always love threads for some recommendations and favorites, but if you can't wait, check out both metal storm and the guardian legend on NES immediately. you won't be sorry!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Emulation, Wii Mods and Classic Games

I'm currently in to the Raspberry Pi, and running this http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/
    I have the file system and roms set up on a 128gb flash drive, and it's so sweet to be able to play, Master System, MegaDrive, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, PC Engine, Atari 800, Atari 2600, C64 and the good old Speccy! and also the Game Gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance
    I'm hoping to get Sega CD, Amiga, Atari ST and the N64 working this week and gonna look into the Neo Geo Portable too!
    Last edited by [parasite]; 03-12-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    While I have a softmodded Wii, I do most of my emulator stuff on my Ouya, with an old Sixaxis connected. Still playing through Earthbound. Does PS1 games pretty well too, and I've heard Dreamcast is on the way too. Say what you want about Ouya (the controller is comes with is rubbish, its kinda cheap, but its solid for emulators, and even has a few fun titles of its own.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i've had bad luck running n64 games off both the wii and my macbook... i think many of the games were difficult to copy. most freeze up, don't load, or are unplayable. anyone have any suggestions for this? fortunately, i still have my n64 and most of the classics...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I own and use a Macbook air and I have no issue at all running my SNES Emulator. Cranking (or trying to since it's hard without a controller) The Donkey Kong Country series currently.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I own and use a Macbook air and I have no issue at all running my SNES Emulator. Cranking (or trying to since it's hard without a controller) The Donkey Kong Country series currently.
    @Space Suicide , if you love old games as much as me, get a controller and a button mapping program. WELL fucking worth it.
    @frankie teardrop , i'm LOVING the GBA. Did you ever play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Playstation? Well there are three similar games on GBA. The first one i'm playing through is soooooo bad ass that i don't want it to be over. It's called Aria of Sorrow.
    I suggest checking out the GBA if you don't have it.
    And, BTW, you know you can put a 16 gb flashdrive in the back of the wii too, right?

I just LOVE having all this shit on the wii, but i haven't had any luch with neogeo emulation, which sucks.

I saw some videos on youtube about...ahem...backing up wii games and running them off of flash drives on the wii. it doesn't look very complicated...that shit for me would be the holy grail!
    There are SOOOO many wii games i'd love to torrent and "back up," like mario kart, smash bros, etc.

So what is a raspberry pi? a uk thing?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide , allow me to elaborate...for one thing, you can get a decent controller out of a bargain bin for about $5.
    And not only does it make the games infinitely more enjoyable/playable in and of itself, think about this: you can put your fucking save and load on the L2 and R2, or your fast forward and rewind!
    Hve i mentioned that i fucking LOVE emulation?!?!?!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

So what is a raspberry pi? a uk thing?
    Read my post and that other persons post.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Read my post and that other persons post.
    HOLY shit.

Ok so this thing plugs into the tv?

How is it at running the higher end emulators like psx and neogeo?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    HOLY shit.

Ok so this thing plugs into the tv?

How is it at running the higher end emulators like psx and neogeo?
    Yep you just plug it in via HDMI and that's it on the display end.

As for PSX, I have not personally tried it. I usually turn on my old PS2 for that. Check out the forums to see if it works.

Neo Geo works perfectly on my end. I have all the MVS arcade games and not one of them has taken a shit on me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    the Pi is Awsome! its tiny & costs around £25
    but as virushopper says NeoGeo works great!
    @virushopper sorry man i didn't see your first post in the thread,

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    THANK you guys for turning me on to this. i am all over this shit.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    THANK you guys for turning me on to this. i am all over this shit.
    mate, its worth getting!
    it not only does retro/classic gaming! altho thats all i'm really bothered about,
    i'm gonna try this http://chameleon.enging.com out tomorro

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide , allow me to elaborate...for one thing, you can get a decent controller out of a bargain bin for about $5.
    And not only does it make the games infinitely more enjoyable/playable in and of itself, think about this: you can put your fucking save and load on the L2 and R2, or your fast forward and rewind!
    Hve i mentioned that i fucking LOVE emulation?!?!?!
    I've never found a controller for cheaper than 19.99 or 24.99. So the fact I rarely play my older SNES game son an Emulator means I don't wanna drop money to buy a controller for it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've never found a controller for cheaper than 19.99 or 24.99. So the fact I rarely play my older SNES game son an Emulator means I don't wanna drop money to buy a controller for it.
    I'm sure they sell these in the US: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/31057...f13=80&ff14=95
    Thats about.. $7-8?

I love the Raspberry Pi, its such a neat little device. However, I also love Ardunio and picked up one of these: http://technologywillsaveus.org/resources/diy-gamer/

bit off topic... Anyway.. I've been trying to get the Dolphin Emulator up and running on my mac and it won't recognise my keyboard or any USB controllers, shame as it booted Metroid Prime in full screen 1080p with no problem.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Has anyone tried the NESBox on the Microsoft App Store or whatever the hell you call it?

Seems like it has some good reviews, I'm wondering how much differently it'd work apart from just a normal desktop ran one as far as efficiency.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I was wondering, does anybody know what is the best R4-type thing for the 3DS? There are a couple options, and I want the one that can play the most 3DS games and possibly do some DS/GBA/other stuff emulations.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Search online. I got a PAIR of wii classic controllers for $7 or $8.
    My USB controller for my computer came out of a bargain bin at Microcenter (a texas chain of computer shops,) for $4.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double post, but i've been up all fucking night trying to figure out how to get my wii to play downloaded "backups" of .iso copies of wii games.
    I am no hacker. I soft-modded my wii, but this i just can't figure out.
    @liquidcalm , i'm looking at you on this one, since you said you have a soft modded wii that doesn't get used for emulation. Have you succeeded in playing wii games off of a USB drive?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeeeesss.. If I remember right you need a boot loader and a specific HDD formatted to Wii format... check this: http://lifehacker.com/5518518/how-to...nal-hard-drive

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double post, but i've been up all fucking night trying to figure out how to get my wii to play downloaded "backups" of .iso copies of wii games.
    I am no hacker. I soft-modded my wii, but this i just can't figure out.
    @liquidcalm , i'm looking at you on this one, since you said you have a soft modded wii that doesn't get used for emulation. Have you succeeded in playing wii games off of a USB drive?
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultim...inners.306908/

after that, TONS more information: http://gbatemp.net/categories/ninten...scussions.104/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Ordered a JXD s7800. Now to play the waiting game...