Page 58 of 99 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2944

Thread: NIN with Soundgarden - summer 2014 amphitheatre NA tour

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Binky007 View Post
    I'd love to see JMJ back but seeing as he and his missus just had a baby (on Trent's birthday) I don't see that happening.
    If Trent gets a big enough cut from this "Beats/Apple" deal, then he might be able to help out with their extra traveling expenses just to get JMJ back on board... Hopefully

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    It seems like they're getting really comfortable with the 4 piece and figuring out how to make it really function and work fluidly (I remember some of the first shows with it seemed a little uncertain/still figuring things out, and now it seems like they're really hitting their stride). I'd be really surprised if Trent decided to change that up considering it's not been that long that they've been using this lineup, and it seems to be working quite well.

That said I'm totally open to a staple bass player and drummer, I don't think anyone is against that. Nevertheless I'm pretty happy with the current sound live, and it's led to some really interesting reworkings of things (I know @botley has pointed out the new sound for Closer, and then there's the album version of TDTWWA, the album version of the Becoming, etc.).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure JMJ is touring with Beck, so he probably wouldn't be an option.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So I'm wondering if there will be a coin toss to determine who plays first like the QOTSA tour? I would prefer NIN to play last, even though the show starts at 7pm so it won't have a risk of being in the daytime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a life long nin fan and am really looking forward to the show this summer. This will be my first time seeing Trent live and I'm stoked. I know most of you have seen them countless times, so in your opinion what will the set list look like? I know he likes to keep everyone guessing and change things up a bit. Id love to see ruiner, but looking on setlist fm it hasn't been played live since 09.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    So I'm wondering if there will be a coin toss to determine who plays first like the QOTSA tour? I would prefer NIN to play last, even though the show starts at 7pm so it won't have a risk of being in the daytime.
    After his disappointment at playing in daylight on the NIN|JA tour, it would be silly to repeat that experience.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    Spoiler: there wasn't really a coin toss

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I really do hope they don't play in daylight; maybe not other parts of the country, but in Florida 7 PM in August can still be fairly bright/sunny.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpickles View Post
    I'm a life long nin fan and am really looking forward to the show this summer. This will be my first time seeing Trent live and I'm stoked. I know most of you have seen them countless times, so in your opinion what will the set list look like? I know he likes to keep everyone guessing and change things up a bit. Id love to see ruiner, but looking on setlist fm it hasn't been played live since 09.
    The "hasn't been played live since 09" really doesn't mean that much, since this is the first tour since 09.
    Each leg has been different, visually and setlist-wise. Nobody could have guessed from the summer festival leg that the fall Tension 13 leg would see A Warm Place. Japan, Australia/NZ, and South America all got different stuff, and it seems so far the Europe/UK leg is seeing another big enough setlist change.
    We don't really know what's up for the NIN & Soundgarden tour. Could be 90's heavy. Could steer clear of the 90's so it doesn't look like a nostalgia tour. Could be more electronic heavy, with lots of YZ and HM. Trent might want to try out some more re-workings of older songs.
    If you want to see what he's been gravitating toward for the entire year, you can check nintourhistory.com
    I can guarantee THTF, HLAH and Hurt. If Trent wants to make me a big fat liar, I'm down. Other than that, who knows. Closer is sometimes back, Terrible Lie and 1,000,000 switch in and out, etc.

You have two options now, before your leg starts. You can cut out all social media ties with NIN, anyone you follow that might post spoilers, etc, until your show. Have everything from the visual setup, to the setlist, be a complete surprise. Or, you can watch ETS hourly to find out everything that happens at every show, which might be different (like the NIN|JA and Wave Goodbye tours) anyhow.
    No matter what, you're going to be blown away, and you're going to love it. You never forget your first NIN show.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    You never forget your first NIN show.
    The setlist to my first NIN show is still etched in my memory. And when I say that, keep in mind I saw the show before I discovered bootlegs and the internet. Once I did, it only confirmed that I was remembering it correctly. The second show I saw was significantly shorter because it was support for Bowie, and was after I discovered the internet and bootlegs and I knew the setlist before going to the show, but today I still can't always remember the exact order. And everything after that is a blur. I remember each show because they were all unique and I can tell you if I've heard a specific song live or not, but I can't recite setlists.

That first show though.....

(and just for fun.....without checking anything pinion mr self destruct sin march of the pigs piggy reptile gave up happiness in slavery eraser hurt the downward spiral wish suck the only time down in it head like a hole encore break closer dead souls I do not want this something I can never have. You can't see how long it took me to type but trust me that it was without hesitation and took longer to type than remember and I'm a fairly fast typist)

so yeah.... You'll love the show no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That is so awesome. I'll probably try to ignore the social media and all but I don't know how successful I'll be. Damn id love to hear suck live also. Anyway thanks for the feedback. August 7th can't get here fast enough.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I feel a little out of luck in that I never got to see NIN during the 90's or even through any of the '00's, etc., but my first show was Tension with Gary Numan as the opener and doing vocals on Reptile, and I have to say that seeing the Tension lineup as my first experience was incredible. I know for a lot of fans it was an incredibly weird thing to see, but for me it was just mind-blowing. Taking in seeing TR, Robin, Alessandro, etc. all for the first time in person (and as much as I like to think I don't care that someone is famous, I'm sorry but seeing Trent's arms practically shining from the lights when he stepped out for Copy of a was so intense I could hardly breathe, it was something else), plus Pino on bass and the backing vocals was just insane. The lights, the screens, the energy, the everything, it was so intense I feel like I couldn't even appreciate it all because I was so overwhelmed in the best way possible.

When you see them you'll be shocked how much songs you might be tired of or think aren't the greatest still manage to excite you; I've downloaded and listened to close to a hundred shows through Reflecting In the Chrome, I'd seen Closure and AATCHB and BYIT and The Gift over and over and I can tell you, there is no footage or recording that can even come close to matching what it really feels like in person. The Wretched live? Holy shit, man. Reptile? Somewhat Damaged? They all make their album counter-parts look watered down in intensity. Even songs like The Hand That Feeds are amazing live simply because they get the crowd going so intensely that you can't help but feel it, and I totally get why it and so many other songs are constant staples, because the way a crowd responds to them is just magical. When you're surrounded by hundreds of people shouting Head Like a Hole like their life depends on it, you can't help but want to shout too.

I'll be seeing them for my second time this year on August 11th, and I know I'll look at setlists and worry about visuals and maybe even complain that X song or Y visual is missing, or why don't they stop playing X song and replace it with Y, etc., but I also know that as soon as I'm in the pre-sale line I'll be way more excited than I can imagine, and I know once Trent's on stage and the show has started, there won't be anywhere else on the planet I'd rather be. Even if it's the same "standard" setlist from this year, I don't think I'll care, because even the "typical" songs have such an impact in person. Trent still seems so into them, his energy levels are through the roof and the rest of the band really follows suit (well, maybe not Alessandro, but he's just too chill for that shit I guess). I honestly expect a good handful of the standard songs, especially since it's a split bill and Soundgarden fans probably won't give a shit about The Becoming, but they'll like Terrible Lie, etc., and even then I know it'll be incredible.

Really, don't worry about anything. Even if the SG tour ends up being a lot of the same old and bare-bones visuals, it'll still kick your ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I posted this over on the upcoming show thread......but this situation might occur for other shows so I just wanted to share my INCREDIBLE FUCKING LUCK

"Last night I was randomly checking live nation...I had been keeping an eye on the scapler sites for Tuesday night tickets. I have great tickets for the first show but was looking for the second. Live nation has consistently showed the second show as 'no tickets available'... but last night a pair of tickets showed up in row 20 center for the originally offered price. I grabbed them and went back to look again and it again showed sold out. So keep trying......."

I checked again today.....and they are back to "no tickets available"

OCD powers activate

This is for the Red Rocks show BTW

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wch1208 View Post
    I posted this over on the upcoming show thread......but this situation might occur for other shows so I just wanted to share my INCREDIBLE FUCKING LUCK

"Last night I was randomly checking live nation...I had been keeping an eye on the scapler sites for Tuesday night tickets. I have great tickets for the first show but was looking for the second. Live nation has consistently showed the second show as 'no tickets available'... but last night a pair of tickets showed up in row 20 center for the originally offered price. I grabbed them and went back to look again and it again showed sold out. So keep trying......."

OCD powers activate

Good advice and glad you got those seats. But....

I saw those tickets get released at least a week ago. :P All shows seem to get this "treatment" and yes, just keep checking back often and you'll end up getting tickets.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I honestly expect a good handful of the standard songs, especially since it's a split bill and Soundgarden fans probably won't give a shit about The Becoming, but they'll like Terrible Lie
    A reasonable assumption. But they played The Becoming — and a lot more totally non-casual-fan stuff — on the NINJA tour even though JA fans probably didn't care either. (And they had to sit through NIN first. Heh.)

edit: And no Terrible Lie for the show I was at either.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 05-20-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I've avoided comparing it to the NINJA tour because I think a lot of people have forgotten that was originally called the final NIN tour; he did the Wave Goodbye dates after saying he realized that the format wasn't a fitting farewell, and even then it was still largely the goodbye tour for most of the U.S. I've always felt those shows were so unique because Trent felt it was the last for a long time (which it really was for most places it hit).

I'd really consider the QOTSA co-headlining tour more of a potentially accurate tour to look towards, albeit with probably more visuals and a different setlist, but still with a lot of common tracks.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wch1208 View Post

OCD powers activate

Same luck happened to me for HTDA in Colorado. I was super lucky to see two seats available on like row 5 when I started looking for tickets a few weeks before the show. Scooped those up like my life depended on it.
    Also got row 7 for the first night at Red Rocks and row 8 on the second...

Oh yea and talk about luck, I won two extra GA tickets off of the radio for the first night as well!
    Last edited by zeegrizzle; 05-20-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpickles View Post
    This will be my first time seeing Trent live and I'm stoked.
    Looks like others above have pointed out much of what I would've said too. I have been a fan since 12, and last year at 24 I finally got to see my first show. I was lucky enough to have rail for the opening Tension show in St Paul; it very well may have been the two hours of my life, and it was all I could think about for over a week (yelling lyrics into the mic with Trent's armpit in my face may have been a factor). No matter where you are though, as sick among the pure pointed out, you're not likely to forget your first show.

My point isn't to skyrocket your expectations, but rather to just make sure you're going in ready for anything. Here's what I do for any show that I go to: on setlist.fm, you're able to see the songs that have been most played for a given year. Look at 2014 and 2013 to see some trends, get to know those songs (maybe make a playlist), but then pretend that you never saw the order of songs or that you ever even looked online (erase it from your mind, and then enjoy the experience once you're at the show). That way it's like you came fully prepared to a show without having any real expectations/knowledge of the set.

Have fun, and tell us how the show is! (Where are you seeing it, btw, if you don't mind?)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    man. i can barely remember my first NIN show. i can remember rushing to get there just as Terrible Lie started . . then i don't remember anything else, really, until the last 3 songs. (although that was the Manson MSG show, so that last part was pretty mindblowing.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Good advice and glad you got those seats. But....

I saw those tickets get released at least a week ago. :P All shows seem to get this "treatment" and yes, just keep checking back often and you'll end up getting tickets.
    thanks for crushing my "i'm so lucky" high. Here I thought some miracle occurred. I am still relieved. I have a lot of money invested in this little trip and have been secretly unsettled without those tickets for the second show. It is like that fucking pre-sale anxiety. Take these good ones OR try for better ones. I know better ones will come up....everywhere....but these tickets were kinda in the sweet zone of where i wanted to be for the second show since i am much closer for the first.

Now to find that underground kidney broker

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwing47 View Post
    yelling lyrics into the mic with Trent's armpit in my face may have been a factor
    Yeah, I was lucky in both date and location, as my first show I got to hold Trent's hand and scream along for the ending of Piggy (Erie '06). But even before that moment, everything was going to be memorable. Even the little things, like watching the line travel across the screen behind them and light up the glitch areas for TLBTB, every little detail was just amazing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Question: if they start playing "Copy of A" and I start singing "This is a Trent Reznor Song", would that make me awesome or awesome?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwing47 View Post
    Looks like others above have pointed out much of what I would've said too. I have been a fan since 12, and last year at 24 I finally got to see my first show. I was lucky enough to have rail for the opening Tension show in St Paul; it very well may have been the two hours of my life, and it was all I could think about for over a week (yelling lyrics into the mic with Trent's armpit in my face may have been a factor). No matter where you are though, as sick among the pure pointed out, you're not likely to forget your first show.

My point isn't to skyrocket your expectations, but rather to just make sure you're going in ready for anything. Here's what I do for any show that I go to: on setlist.fm, you're able to see the songs that have been most played for a given year. Look at 2014 and 2013 to see some trends, get to know those songs (maybe make a playlist), but then pretend that you never saw the order of songs or that you ever even looked online (erase it from your mind, and then enjoy the experience once you're at the show). That way it's like you came fully prepared to a show without having any real expectations/knowledge of the set.

Have fun, and tell us how the show is! (Where are you seeing it, btw, if you don't mind?)
    I'm going to the charlotte show. I live in charleston, sc, so I could either have went to this one or the Atlanta show. But I'm off on Thursdays so the charlotte show worked out better for me. I appreciate the advice. I'm 30 years old and have been listening to nin since head like a hole so I'm pretty familiar with the whole catalog, admittedly not as familiar with the newer stuff. But I can't wait for the show.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This interview has some info about the upcoming tour leg.

So for the Soundgarden tour in the summer, elements of that will be based on what we did in the very first thing in the cycle, which we only did at a few festivals around the world, which was I think the most interesting thing we’ve done so far, even more than Tension. It really felt like a vital live show, where we build a show and put together a stage that starts completely bare. The plan is we’re going to base it on that and to expand upon it. Lots of chances for things to go wrong.
    EDIT: actually, there's a ton of stuff about touring in the interview, including about the current and previous tour legs.
    Last edited by m15a; 05-23-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    "Lots of chances for things to go wrong."

I am both excited and worried about this part.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Awesome! I thought the movable screen-wall-things were brilliant. But I hope they use the Tension light pods too.

That makes it a challenge for it to come off as a cohesive show and also for two bands to play together. We’re up for that.
    I'm probably reading too much into this … but "cohesive show" and "play together"? Does that imply some interaction between NIN and SG?

Knowing what happens when TR gives interviews, I'm leaning toward "no." But it's an interesting choice of words.
    Last edited by Joy Prevention Hotline; 05-23-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My body is ready.

Actually no, my body is not ready.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 05-24-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So am I reading it wrong or should we not expect any real visuals for this and just the basic lights?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    So am I reading it wrong or should we not expect any real visuals for this and just the basic lights?
    I thought it would be more like the festival with the striped down start and build up to epic finish. Who knows lol

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    If there's "lots of chances for things to go wrong," you're definitely reading it wrong.