Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    First time seeing them. This was a bucket-list item the moment I heard of Robert's aim in reforming the band in 2013. The cherry on top of them performing material from the 70's which had mostly gone ignored in the 80's/90's KC, and the period of the band I find the most fascinating, made each new recent release all the more tantalizing to me.

Simply put the presentation blew me away. Even from the very back of the auditorium (and very top, which at least meant I got a good view) I can honestly say I got the full brunt of the sheer force of sound they put out last night. The choice of material was top-notch as several songs I love were given their all, as if they were new.

Beyond that (still coming down from the experience), the way I feel about this music and it's place in the world now, can only be summed up in the words of Fripp himself, more than I ever could.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    First time seeing them. This was a bucket-list item the moment I heard of Robert's aim in reforming the band in 2013. The cherry on top of them performing material from the 70's which had mostly gone ignored in the 80's/90's KC, and the period of the band I find the most fascinating, made each new recent release all the more tantalizing to me.

Simply put the presentation blew me away. Even from the very back of the auditorium (and very top, which at least meant I got a good view) I can honestly say I got the full brunt of the sheer force of sound they put out last night. The choice of material was top-notch as several songs I love were given their all, as if they were new.

Beyond that (still coming down from the experience), the way I feel about this music and it's place in the world now, can only be summed up in the words of Fripp himself, more than I ever could.
    i was also there! my dad (who i've always seen them with) came along, as did my wife (it was her first time)!

the music was incredible. all of the drum interludes are so mesmerizing every time i see them. even the asshole who kept loudly and gruffly yelling "YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH" at the top of his lungs like he was at a pantera show during every beautiful, quiet moment couldn't ruin it for me.

i don't know if this quite tops the show from two years ago (the one they put out as live in chicago), but it's close competition.

putting the following in spoiler tags in case anyone's worried about that sort of thing?

Spoiler: hearing larks' tongues iv, cat food(!!!), and FRAME BY FUCKING FRAME were all goosebumps moments for me; i had them the entire way through frame by frame. also, jakko's lyric modifications in easy money were very appropriate to the current political climate and made me chuckle a bit. elektrik was also really refreshing to hear in such a different format (i saw them perform it at the chicago theater in 2002(?) when they were still shaping it). i'm so glad that my wife got to join us for this awesome experience.

oh, it was also pat's birthday last night, and he seemed in even better spirits than usual! mel also danced around a bit with his clarinet(? or is it a soprano sax?) at one point and it was adorable​.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Someone yelled out "happy birthday!" during one of the drum pieces. I was so excited to hear many of the songs for myself in person, as well as the ones poe cites in the spoiler section. All I can say is I am actually now more interested in the vocal pieces they'll do from the Belew era.

I bought the Audio Diary box on the way out, and ripped it this morning. It'll be more interesting for me to hear the stuff from 2017-18, when Rieflin was full-time keyboardist.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I fucking loved last night's goddamned show! Holy shit!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I implore everybody to get the free mp3 of Moonchild from Juan Les Pins, which has all three cadenzae included. Tony does his usual walk on the upright, but then Fripp... well, things get terrifying, and then Jeremy's piano gets melancholy. Crazy good.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    "Neurotica" from the Toronto show is up now! Yesssss. Also, is it just me or does the dude (still Sid Smith, maybe?) writing the track descriptions for these "hot tickle" live download tracks occasionally just run out of shit to say? For example, putting lyrics from "MacArthur Park" over one of the drum pieces for the Washington, D.C. show — hahaha WTF?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sid wrote a book in 2002 about the band, and now it is being re-released in a much-expanded edition, covering their entire career up to this point. Inner Knot, who handles KC/DGM stuff in North America, will be releasing this as well, pre-order coming soon once things are figured out.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Released 50 years ago today

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I have the full pro-shot video of the Rock in Rio 2019 performance (with subtle improvements from the original YouTube post, ie. for "Epitaph" I replaced the low bitrate track with official lossless audio, and pasted still logos over top of the distracting picture-in-picture Multishow feed)... PM me if you want it!
    Last edited by botley; 10-19-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    hey, @botley you may know the answer to this: my fav rendition of easy money is the one on USA, which has alternate lyrics. do you know the story behind those alternate lyrics?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    hey, @botley you may know the answer to this: my fav rendition of easy money is the one on USA, which has alternate lyrics. do you know the story behind those alternate lyrics?
    "They never told me once... you were a mincer"? Those ones? A playful insertion by Richard Palmer-James, I think, written a little bit after the album version was, and possibly even suggested by one of his late-night drunken binges with John Wetton on the band's European tours. It's about (inadvertently?) picking up a piece of ass on the road, and getting in trouble for it. Wetton tells an amusing story about getting a marriage proposal, a decidedly unwanted one mind you, on tour in Italy circa '74 in the Starless box set! I don't know exactly when these lyrics started getting a hearing onstage, though, it was perhaps closer to late-'73. It's notable that screwing around with the lyrics is a Crimson tradition, which carries into the present band; Pete Sinfield contributed a new opening verse to "Schizoid Man" in 2014 that was later dropped in favour of the original, and Jakko has re-rewritten the lyrics to "Easy Money" once more for the most recent outings.
    Last edited by botley; 11-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    "They never told me once... you were a mincer"? Those ones? A playful insertion by Richard Palmer-James, I think, written a little bit after the album version was, and possibly even suggested by one of his late-night drunken binges with John Wetton on the band's European tours. It's about (inadvertently?) picking up a piece of ass on the road, and getting in trouble for it. Wetton tells an amusing story about getting a marriage proposal, a decidedly unwanted one mind you, on tour in Italy circa '74 in the Starless box set! I don't know exactly when these lyrics started getting a hearing onstage, though, it was perhaps closer to late-'73. It's notable that screwing around with the lyrics is a Crimson tradition, which carries into the present band; Pete Sinfield contributed a new opening verse to "Schizoid Man" in 2014 that was later dropped in favour of the original, and Jakko has re-rewritten the lyrics to "Easy Money" once more for the most recent outings.
    yeah i noticed the new easy money lyrics when i saw them in september!

and yes, the "well i argued with the judge, but the bastard wouldn't budge, 'cause he caught me making fudge, and you never told me once you were a minor" (i'm pretty sure it's minor, not mincer...)

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Yes, I think Wetton sang "minor" more often, though he changed it to "mincer" a few times (aside from being a song title, "The Mincer" was a frequent in-joke within the band having several suggestive meanings; according to the Starless book again, Fripp demonstrated a dance move during one of his farcical stage announcements, which also went by that name).

In other news, the Heaven & Earth replacement downloads for the box set are live; ten ZIP files containing 121 mostly un-tagged Wave format traKcs, all 24-bit/48 kHz uncompressed, along with the original album art for each in a separate PDF. For those who missed it, there was a problem with one of the Blu-ray discs in the box, which had a bonus section called "The ProjeKcts on CD" (and also the final performance of ProjeKct One on the same disc) improperly rendered at 48 kHz, when these were actually mastered at 44.1 kHz... resulting in a significant shift in playback speed. The corrected-speed download is free to all who purchased the set (and also the ReconstruKction of Light DVD-Audio, which has the same issue with the bonus ProjeKct X album included with it) if you forward an email with proof of purchase to DGM.
    Last edited by botley; 11-11-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Yes, I think Wetton sang "minor" more often, though he changed it to "mincer" a few times (aside from being a song title, "The Mincer" was a frequent in-joke within the band having several suggestive meanings; according to the Starless book again, Fripp demonstrated a dance move during one of his farcical stage announcements, which also went by that name).

In other news, the Heaven & Earth replacement downloads for the box set are live; ten ZIP files containing 121 mostly un-tagged Wave format traKcs, all 24-bit/48 kHz uncompressed, along with the original album art for each in a separate PDF. For those who missed it, there was a problem with one of the Blu-ray discs in the box, which had a bonus section called "The ProjeKcts on CD" (and also the final performance of ProjeKct One on the same disc) improperly rendered at 48 kHz, when these were actually mastered at 44.1 kHz... resulting in a significant shift in playback speed. The corrected-speed download is free to all who purchased the set (and also the ReconstruKction of Light DVD-Audio, which has the same issue with the bonus ProjeKct X album included with it) if you forward an email with proof of purchase to DGM.
    have you actually gotten your downloads? i forwarded the e-mail as requested but i never got anything back...

edit: literally got an e-mail this morning that i hadn't seen yet because i was so busy spending all my money on the new stuff in the nin store hahaha
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 11-22-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

used king crimson for day 26 of the november vinyl challenge - favorite band from another country.
    had never taken a picture of my whole collection (half of which was liberated from my dad's collection).
    only full-length i'm missing is Earthbound which i've never cared about, as USA is the perfect live album from around that time.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    In lieu of Earthbound, which is charming but obviously flawed, it would be interesting if they put something from the wealth of live '71-'72 recordings on that Sailors' Tales set out as a vinyl release; the Denver radio broadcast from Summit Studios would be an obvious choice, having been newly remixed from the multi-track tapes... but it's incredibly long at full length! That restored "Creator Has a Master Plan" improv alone would need to be split over two sides.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    In lieu of Earthbound, which is charming but obviously flawed, it would be interesting if they put something from the wealth of live '71-'72 recordings on that Sailors' Tales set out as a vinyl release; the Denver radio broadcast from Summit Studios would be an obvious choice, having been newly remixed from the multi-track tapes... but it's incredibly long at full length! That restored "Creator Has a Master Plan" improv alone would need to be split over two sides.
    :: cough cough i don't think i have sailor's tales downloaded cough ::

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Jakko let slip on a recent talk radio interview that the next year will see a shorter Crimson tour around North America, with many dates where they'll be opening for "Somebody else". Wonder who that could be?

Also that his solo album is still in progress with his 17-year-old son among the bass players tapped to play on it...
    Last edited by botley; 12-08-2019 at 02:50 AM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Jakko let slip on a recent talk radio interview that the next year will see a shorter Crimson tour around North America, with many dates where they'll be opening for "Somebody else". Wonder who that could be?

Also that his solo album is still in progress with his 17-year-old son among the bass players tapped to play on it...
    I saw KC open for Tool in a theater at one point. The ticket crunch was insane on that one. Fripp sat toward the back of the stage like an evil troll. It was awesome. They blew Tool away.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)

A post shared by on

I love the new remix of Court for the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray (we played it for a small group of friends last week on a full 5.1 system, where I work)... and this image of Fripp pointing has become something of a meme among my buddy and I when we want to add a "thumbs up" of our own!

Oh yeah — and what an amazing finale to the KC50 series today with that phenomenal suite of Radical Action/Meltdown from the forthcoming documentary! Can't wait to hear the whole thing, now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I saw KC open for Tool in a theater at one point. The ticket crunch was insane on that one. Fripp sat toward the back of the stage like an evil troll. It was awesome. They blew Tool away.
    KC opening for Tool in 2020 would be interesting. I bet the Tool fans who aren't big KC fans would be perplexed though.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    KC opening for Tool in 2020 would be interesting. I bet the Tool fans who aren't big KC fans would be perplexed though.
    what happened last time they toured together? what was the reception like?

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    what happened last time they toured together? what was the reception like?
    it was good considering how fanatical the tool fans are. of course, they had been primed by tool in interviews.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I love the new remix of Court for the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray (we played it for a small group of friends last week on a full 5.1 system, where I work)... and this image of Fripp pointing has become something of a meme among my buddy and I when we want to add a "thumbs up" of our own!

Oh yeah — and what an amazing finale to the KC50 series today with that phenomenal suite of Radical Action/Meltdown from the forthcoming documentary! Can't wait to hear the whole thing, now.
    I had no idea this existed until just now. Do you guys know if they're doing the other albums again, or just going back to this one? It seems pretty soon as all. Still definitely getting it though!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I had no idea this existed until just now. Do you guys know if they're doing the other albums again, or just going back to this one? It seems pretty soon as all. Still definitely getting it though!
    Just Court – it's part of making a Complete 1969 box set in the style of The Road to Red etc. that was due to come out in October but has been delayed to 2020. Wilson specifically wanted to redo it.

I doubt the rest of the catalog will be redone... but this band sure does milk things dry!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The complete ITCOTCK sessions are available for download from DGM. All of this will be available on the next box-set, but is being made available to download now so DGM can keep the copyright.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Wow, that's a huge trove of completely unheard outtakes. If none of these have ever been released before, even on illegitimate bootleg recordings, that's an incredible surprise since it was thought in years before that nothing had survived from those recordings, not even any multi-track or original mixdown master tapes (which only turned up as late as 2003).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Wish I could say I'm into those Court sessions, but... it's not really for me. I don't have a fascination with the 1969 band in the same way I have with other lineups. Still, a cool thing to do, putting them on DGM to keep hype up for the box and re-establish copyright.

I decided to drop trou and join the 1000 Club this year. Many, many new listens await... particularly looking at 2001, perhaps my favourite single year of touring in the history of the band.

And one more thing: a friend on the KC Discord has uncovered and confirmed that the mysterious Fripp Soundscapes show from 1997 that was used and altered into The Power to Believe IV: Coda has been realized. The gist is that the show, credited on TPTB and in "the lore" as Newlyn Church December 7, is actually December 6; this Elephant Talk mailing list post from Fripp confirms the date (and impossibility of the 7th, since he was on a plane to the US). DGMLive has had the December 6 show available in full for years now, but somehow, despite all of DGM and some good ears backing him, our intrepid Sid Smith writes in the show notes that part of the performance was used for TPTB III, even though Improv VIII 11:30-onward is clearly TPTB IV at its original pitch (a semitone down). Perhaps other segments were indeed inserted into the ambient washes in TPTB III, hence the notes. Still, a classic DGM mistake in a long history of mismatches and anomalies in their record-keeping. Edit: Sid also dates it correctly in the new edition of In the Court of KC ("two days after P1 gigs", which ended Dec 4).
    Last edited by seasonsinthesky; 01-04-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I decided to drop trou and join the 1000 Club this year. Many, many new listens await... particularly looking at 2001, perhaps my favourite single year of touring in the history of the band.
    what's the 1000 Club?

i got the ITCOTCK 3CD/1BR box set for xmas but i haven't listened to any of it yet, though i did read the liner notes, which were pretty cool. honestly i mostly just want to hear the new steven wilson 5.1 mixes.

my wife and i are currently listening through all the albums on vinyl chronologically, which has been really fun. the original mixes of everything honestly sound pretty good, but it's interesting going back to them after not hearing them in years and having gotten so used to the 30th and then 40th anniversary mixes.