Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For anyone liking spoilers: The setlists of the first two concerts are on Tony Levin's road diary.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    So, I was listening to a great performance of "Cirkus" from this current tour's free soundboard downloads on DGMLive, I think it was the third night from Krakow, Poland (also note the back-and-forth in the comments from a fan and the band's FOH engineer). Fabulous stuff, but just as it fades out with the applause dying away, you can faintly hear the keyboard intro to "Lizard" start up (the part they haven't played before this year, going into the 'Bolero' portion) and it's such a tease. I want another full live album!
    Last edited by botley; 07-10-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Wildwood NJ is a beach town at the bottom of NJ- excellent beach and awesome boardwalk. They have a stage with live music on the boardwalk, and I randomly came across this video of teens doing, of all things, 21st Century Schizoid Man. they nailed it!!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm convinced King Crimson in 2018 is at the best that it's ever, ever been. The new 2018 Elements tour box is sheer glory: the first disc is like a précis of their whole 50-year career, told via the most transcendent versions of those songs I've ever heard. Then the second disc is like "oh, you like ballads, huh? Here are a dozen of the best we've got, all in a row, so you can weep all over yourself."

And they just put out three new soundboard recordings from the tour on DGMlive.com, with a brilliant and soaring "Epitaph" from Essen, a BONKERS new arrangement of "Neurotica", with Bill R. throwing in some mad piano riffage for extra chaotic enjoyment, and the first-ever soundboard recording of "Moonchild" from the shows in Oslo (just too bad it ends before we get to hear Tony & Jeremy's improvised cadenzas).

I really want Live in Mexico 2017 to come out, already! And the Re-ConstruKction box set, too... I just re-watched the Shepherd's Bush Empire show from Eyes Wide Open last night and hopefully that is remastered and included in some form. Bangers, ahoy!
    Last edited by botley; 07-17-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    YAAAAAASSS

Oh my God, look at the cover art! It's from Tony's backstage road photo diary. Not only THAT, but the tint has been made subtly more red and green (Viva Mexico!), and seems like other band members not in the original shot have been subtly added as well...

Here is the original without alteration except for resizing:

Also I'm excited to see that this new audio will be mixed from the multitrack (including in 5.1 surround!), all audio produced by Mr. Bill Rieflin himself. That should be a treat to hear!
    Last edited by botley; 09-17-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Okay, so someone in the audience rather naughtily recorded audio from their second show in Rome last month (it's on TPB right now), and they captured a full-length rendition of the Lizard suite, including the Bolero. Since the band haven't released any official live version of the Bolero portion yet, I decided it was worth taking a little time to clean up the audio a bit, and share my results here so we could all hear the whole thing uninterrupted. Take a listen!
    Last edited by botley; 08-15-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Excellent wide-ranging interview with KC's touch-guitar player emeritus Trey Gunn, covering his whole career. Excellent insight into his time improv'ing every night in the ProjeKcts and with Crimson:

I'm going to take a deep dive into his catalogue now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Recently purchased the On (And Off) The Road box set, and really came away from it loving the surround mix for Discipline. Fripp and SW really brought out certain things which I didn't notice hearing it only in stereo previously. "Frame By Frame" particularly was a highlight for how great the backing vocals sounded on my system.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The release of Meltdown has been delayed to October 19th by a Blu-ray authoring problem. Too bad. But the audio of "Indiscipline" is now available on streaming services as a teaser, and Apple Music is also listing the full three-and-a-half-hour audio version including running times. A couple of added bonuses: there apparently three different "Walk On" tracks at the top of each part, and it would appear that the last handful of tracks (after "Schizoid Man") are actually from the 2018 European tour rather than Mexico City -- including a brand new track entitled "Cool Jam".
    Last edited by botley; 11-30-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Not surprised those tracks are from this year's tour, they definitely didn't start playing "Moonchild" until then.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Get out your damned wallets. It's finally happening.

King Crimson 1969-1972 and King Crimson 1972-1974 are limited edition box sets presenting the band’s seven studio albums from 1969-1974 in their 40th anniversary edition mixes (by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp).
    1969-1972 also includes a double LP of rarities and a full-sized replica of the original King Crimson timeline booklet which accompanied The Young Person’s Guide to King Crimson.

1972-1974 contains a fourth album featuring a complete alternate version of Larks’ Tongues in Aspic - mixed and produced by Steven Wilson and featuring the LP’s original US artwork - plus the expanded edition of USA (in its 2013 mix by Robert Fripp, David Singleton and Tony Arnold). The set also contains a full-sized 24 page photographic booklet of the band during the period plus a poster of the King Crimson album art as it originally featured in The Young Person’s Guide to King Crimson.

All albums are cut from the same hi-res masters used for the 40th anniversary CD/DVD-A series, pressed on 200g super-heavyweight vinyl, and presented in their original sleeves.

Pre-order CD 1969-1972 for 2nd November release and 1972-1974 for 23rd November release. A bundle of both boxes is available for 23rd November combined shipping.
    https://burningshed.com/store/kingcr...ter+13+09+2018
    https://shop.schizoidshop.com/king-c...set-p1768.aspx
    https://shop.schizoidshop.com/king-c...set-p1767.aspx

(It's slightly cheaper to Canada from Burning Shed if you get the bundle.)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Starless from Meltdown is now on streaming. Thankfully, Bill Rieflin's mix does justice to the ending for, imo, the first time since 2014.

And, shockingly, the recently reissued past live albums are now on streaming too! Epitaph, Ladies of the Road, The Night Watch, Absent Lovers, VROOOM VROOOM, and Heavy ConstruKction are all up. Not without typos, though...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    haven't seen it yet, but i guess they use Starless in the opening credits of the new movie Mandy, which makes me want to see it even more!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

ME GUSTA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Uggh, I just don't like that Jakko guy at all (maybe I bitched about it earlier in the thread), but I'm glad you guys can get into it. The other performers are still top notch.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ME GUSTA
    i'm assuming this is a performance of Indiscipline? the video shows as unavailable for me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Damn, it is gone.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Hm, weird. Try this one instead:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Oh that'll be taken down soon I bet. I wouldn't be surprised if it was taken down by design.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 10-05-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Okay this is the REAL proper video (apparently the previous versions had a different Fripp guitar solo from the one on the actual album/Blu-ray -- while it's easier to tell that this one has been 'patched in' from another night, I handily admit it is better):

Last edited by botley; 10-09-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Uggh, I just don't like that Jakko guy at all (maybe I bitched about it earlier in the thread), but I'm glad you guys can get into it. The other performers are still top notch.
    call me bitter but don't like that he replaced Adrian who I felt brought a lot of personality to the group. seen him solo a number of times he is an all around good guy aways open to sign talk about gear you name it.
    -louie

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Adrian is a sweetheart, it's true, and his performances with King Crimson were always stellar. But the man is keeping himself busy elsewhere! I'm still holding out hope he can rejoin a future incarnation of Crimson, as has been tentatively planned. I just think it's good for the band that Jakko is covering slightly different territory -- even with that version of "Indiscipline", he's obviously taken a very different tack with the vocal/guitar melody arrangement. It's more in keeping with the jazzy/big band style they've adopted for these performances. And while I think a lot of fans were initially shocked and appalled, the proof is in the pudding!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Great (and gushing) review of Meltdown from the effusive pen of John Kelman.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    re listening to the box set of the projekcts some of my favorite for my money some of the best musicianship from all involved get a kick out of belew on e-drums, the story i heard although he has played drums before they were ordered for bruford and i guess that was around the time he was leaving so fripp asked adrain and he said sure. or so the story goes?
    -louie

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Latest post on the KC Facebook confirms that next year will see the release of both the ProjeKcts/Double Duo box (with the name Heaven & Earth) sometime around spring, and the 50th anniversary set of the first album by next Christmas.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    They will be mine. Oh yes. They will be mine.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Saw King Crimson in Cardiff a week or so ago, really enjoyed it despite my only real knowledge of them being the Adrian Belew connection and Robert Fripp being married to Toyah. I didn’t stay until the end as I had a train to catch, but the interplay between instruments seemed almost orchestral, great use of what looked like a saxophone, and it was nice just to relax and sit and soak up the music.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on