Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Meanwhile, the solo band Adrian is touring with right now plays a lot of Crimson songs that he co-wrote during his tenure, which is well worth seeing.
    Oh man, I would love to. In fact, 'Three of a Perfect Pair' from his live album Side Four is my favorite version of this song.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Fuck me running, the Heaven and Earth box set is coming out very soon and this PDF tracklisting is 102 pages long. That is insanity!
    Last edited by botley; 06-05-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Panegyric putting out new limited runs of each of the 40th Anniversary box sets (with presumably an exception to the original ITCOTCK box). Hopefully this can bring down some of the prices for the ones I don't have yet, particularly Sailor's Tale.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    In Bill's absence, Jakko says he'll be playing some keyboards this year (as well as singing lead, playing guitar and sometimes flute too!)...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my Heaven + Earth box set shipped a few days ago! I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

oh my god. i'm only just finishing up The ReconstruKction Of Light in 5.1 and i'm already blown away. besides all the new drums provided by pat mastelotto, the whole of the album sounds completely different than the one that came out in 2000 and kicked off my KC obsession. i'm hearing parts i didn't even know existed, and the emotional quality of the songs shines through in a way it definitely never did before. i can't wait to plow through the rest of the enormous amount of content in this box, particularly the ProjeKcts, as i've none​ of that material.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I'm getting DEEP into the ProjeKcts Vol. I Blu-ray today, after quickly spinning the remastered Happy With EP and watching Trey's charming studio tour video on the third Blu-ray disc. PJ Crook's striking cover painting "Nocturne" at full size is really beautiful. The booklet is rich in detail and unexpected revelations. I like how they kept the maps motif going from the packaging of the Sailors' Tales box, too. Very, very happy with this so far! A truly monumental collection of material, there's dozens of hours of live shows here... mostly all improvised.
    Last edited by botley; 06-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Happy to finally have the studio catalog on Spotify. Making my way through all the studio releases. Made it through Red. So far the only non-ITCOTCK album that has stuck out to me has been Red. Any recommended favorites?

If you had to make a playlist of the "best of" the studio tracks, what would you put on it? Or is that heresy? Or am I going to be told to just go listen to a live show? haha.

I'm determined to give all of it a listen and work my way through it all, but for those that are bigger fans, just curious about favorites (from what's available on Spotify) and any recommendations you all could offer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Red is an Amazing Album... I really love the 80s line up and albums. Frame by Frame i guess sums up that era the best in my mind...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Happy to finally have the studio catalog on Spotify. Making my way through all the studio releases. Made it through Red. So far the only non-ITCOTCK album that has stuck out to me has been Red. Any recommended favorites?

If you had to make a playlist of the "best of" the studio tracks, what would you put on it? Or is that heresy? Or am I going to be told to just go listen to a live show? haha.

I'm determined to give all of it a listen and work my way through it all, but for those that are bigger fans, just curious about favorites (from what's available on Spotify) and any recommendations you all could offer.
    my personal fav albums:
    larks tongues in aspic
    red
    discipline & beat
    the (re)construKction of light (sadly not on streaming yet, but wait for it, don't bother listening to the original version because the new version is just unbelievably good)

that said, my FAVORITE king crimson thing to listen to is USA. there are a few different variations (and i'm not sure any of them are on spotify/streaming) but honestly they're all good.

if i had to make a playlist of all of my favorite songs? oof...let's go chronologically and only one or two from each album
    21st century schizoid man
    pictures of a city
    the lizard suite
    sailor's tale
    the letters
    easy money
    LTIA part II
    the great deceiver
    lament
    fallen angle
    one more red nightmare
    frame by frame
    indiscipline
    neal and jack and me
    the howler
    three of a perfect pair
    sleepless
    walking on air
    one time
    the construKction of light
    LTIA part IV
    eyes wide open
    the power to believe (part II)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    fallen angle
    d'oh!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    started in on The ProjeKcts today and goodness gracious this stuff is good. haven't even finished the first ProjeKct One concert and i'm so on board. only thing i wish is that somewhere in the giant booklet it told you not just who was in which project (which itself is hard to find) but also what they're playing. of note is the fact that every single projekct includes both fripp & gunn.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 06-23-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    ^ Yes, that is a little tricky to piece together, but it goes something like this (basically everyone plays the same thing in each iteration):

P1 — Robert Fripp on sustainer guitar, MIDI samples, and delay-loop soundscapes
    Trey Gunn on touch guitar (including bass range), MIDI samples
    Tony Levin on bass (including stand-up)
    Bill Bruford on drumkit and percussion (and drumsticks on Tony's stand-up bass, haha)

P2 — Fripp
    Gunn
    Adrian Belew on V-drums — including sequenced bass pedal — plus voice and guitar (only at some shows, for his solo spots)

P3 — Fripp
    Gunn
    Pat Mastelotto on V-drums & percussion & sampler

P4 Fripp
    Gunn
    Mastelotto
    Levin

PX — essentially just Gunn and Mastelotto, but with some solos from Adrian and Robert over top

P6 — Fripp and Belew

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Another happy Heaven & Earth customer here. This era was my intro to the band (Red Rocks 2001 bootleg! Sadly unavailable at DGMLive or on this box) so I knew from the beginning of the box sets it was going to be an auto-buy.

Only two disappointments, really: no Tokyo 2003 video or full London 2000, both from Eyes Wide Open 2xDVD; I'm easily forgiving of the lack of London because of the 10 hours of Bootleg TV, but that Tokyo show really was something special, and while I'm glad to have the lossless audio of it in full with a mindblowing TCOL & Deception, the video is just sublime too (despite Adrian looking like a mad professor, and everyone wearing white shirts kinda... not doing them any favours!).

And the other disappointment is this fiasco with a bunch of ProjeKcts at the wrong speed. It's one of those "how did no one even think about this?" things that just boggles the mind. I don't expect David Singleton and their authoring guy to literally listen to 24 days' worth of material for problems, just that someone would have thought about feeding 44.1 files into BR authoring without resampling, or whatever it was that David was trying to explain in his post, and realized it might be worth checking. It's sad to think how many people will be hearing gems like The Repercussions of Angelic Behavior for the first time not knowing the pitch is up and it's noticeably faster than it should be.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    And the other disappointment is this fiasco with a bunch of ProjeKcts at the wrong speed. It's one of those "how did no one even think about this?" things that just boggles the mind. I don't expect David Singleton and their authoring guy to literally listen to 24 days' worth of material for problems, just that someone would have thought about feeding 44.1 files into BR authoring without resampling, or whatever it was that David was trying to explain in his post, and realized it might be worth checking. It's sad to think how many people will be hearing gems like The Repercussions of Angelic Behavior for the first time not knowing the pitch is up and it's noticeably faster than it should be.
    whoa wait what?

i don't know why i thought the video for the tokyo show was on one of the dvds or blu-rays...

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    whoa wait what?
    I think I first found out about this on a Facebook group, but when they posted the official confirmation there was something wrong, I checked my Blu-ray rip, and sure enough all of the "The ProjeKcts On CD" segment appears to actually be 44.1kHz material (as it would have been originally, on the CD versions) but it plays too fast because the Blu-ray authoring causes it to be read as 48kHz.

The last night of the ProjeKct One residency on the same Blu-ray disc also fast, due to the same problem apparently. The "Heaven and Earth" album by ProjeKct X is also affected in the same way on the DVD-Audio disc that contains it. This is approximately a 9% difference in speed, if you listen to Robert's voice on the Blu-ray when he does the onstage announcement on the ProjeKct One gig it's clear his voice is too high. Annoying, but the CDs themselves in the set seem to be fine (including the one that contains the final ProjeKct One show that runs too fast on Blu-ray).

I'm sure they're re-checking everything as fast as they can (while they're very busy on tour!), then will issue a download with the too-fast tracks at correct speed to solve the error, as promised.
    Last edited by botley; 07-01-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    There's an easy fix using Audacity to change the header if you're ripping your BR and want them at the right speed. Still doesn't solve actually listening to it in a BR player, though.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    If nothing else, this clip *really* makes me want to hear the mighty Krim play "Bolero" when they come to town in September. The Levin Brothers, ladies and gents:

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    OH LAWD, dig "Epitaph" a cappella, folks:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Francesca Sundsten, the artist responsible for some of their recent cover art, passed away.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Anyone know why ITCOTCK isn't on Amazon Music? The other studio albums are.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Francesca Sundsten, the artist responsible for some of their recent cover art, passed away.
    Not just a wonderful visual artist, but also wife to Crimson's drummer/keyboard/fairy dust maven Bill Rieflin. Terribly sad news, and especially at such a young age. I'll echo what are (presumably) KC manager David Singleton's words on the website there, as this truly is "a tragedy beyond measure" to have lost such a talented artist in the prime of her creative life.

Reflecting now on their very careful wording about Bill's absence on the stage this year, it seems this announcement has been a long time coming. Very sad indeed.
    Last edited by botley; 08-07-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    e-mail from burningshed today:

First time vinyl editions of the band’s final (to date) studio albums, THRAK, The ReconstruKction of Light and The Power to Believe.

Expanded double 200g vinyl versions, cut from masters approved by Robert Fripp.

The additional material on THRAK and The Power to Believe is mainly taken from the two mini-albums that were recorded and issued as ‘tasters’ for the studio recordings, while the wealth of live material gathered for the recent Heaven & Earth box set provided multiple choices for the additional material on The ReconstruKction of Light.

Pre-order for 20th September release. All titles are available separately and as a bundle.
    around $140 US incl. shipping from burning shed for all three, around $121 US incl. shipping from inner knot...hoping they'll be available from a US retailer for a little less or at least with lower shipping costs because i obviously want them. i haven't bought any of the other albums' newer vinyl pressings because i, uh...liberated my dad's original copies of everything from 69-74 and i bought my own original pressings of the 80s trilogy. but having these three albums on vinyl would be amazing to complete my collection.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 08-15-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Speaking of the later albums, anyone have ideas as to why, if it seems general consensus that "Reconstrukction" is more definitive than Construktion, why is the latter on Spotify while the former is not?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Speaking of the later albums, anyone have ideas as to why, if it seems general consensus that "Reconstrukction" is more definitive than Construktion, why is the latter on Spotify while the former is not?
    I think they wanted to put only the original versions of the studio albums on streaming sites... the remixed versions are exclusive to physical formats, for now anyway.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yeah, it isn't just Recon left off streaming – literally every album remix is physical exclusive. All the albums on streaming services are the 30th anniversary remasters of the original mixes, best I can tell.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The 50th Anniversary edition of In The Court Of The Crimson King will arrive towards the end of next month, in 2 LP and 3 CD/1-Blu-ray packages. This will essentially act as a taster for a bigger box covering the 1969 band, which will be released next year.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The 50th Anniversary edition of In The Court Of The Crimson King will arrive towards the end of next month, in 2 LP and 3 CD/1-Blu-ray packages. This will essentially act as a taster for a bigger box covering the 1969 band, which will be released next year.
    god damnit, robert! YOU MAY AS WELL JUST DIRECTLY WITHDRAW FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT >.<

edit: also, the Thrak, TCL, & TPTB vinyl editions are up on amazon (i know, amazon is evil) for about $31 each, so i'll likely get them through that avenue as to avoid over $30 of shipping charges
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 09-05-2019 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    They're back in the USA! Chicago show tonight at the beautiful Auditorium Theatre, who's going?

Pssst... someone surreptitiously recorded the Denver show audio. Once again, I cleaned it up as best I could from the YouTube source, just so we could hear a little from the 2019 sets before the official downloads catch up: here's "EleKtriK".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I am