Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Listening through the new mix/master of the record proper. Not sure if it's any better or less of a mess (at least on the jams).

Anyone ever realize "VROOM VROOM" is basically built to be the 1995 nü-"Red" (the track)? It's got the same structure with the bridge using nearly exactly the same approach (percussionless, stuttering guitar 8ths, bass/Warr/stick/whatever taking lead beneath).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Listening through the new mix/master of the record proper. Not sure if it's any better or less of a mess (at least on the jams).

Anyone ever realize "VROOM VROOM" is basically built to be the 1995 nü-"Red" (the track)? It's got the same structure with the bridge using nearly exactly the same approach (percussionless, stuttering guitar 8ths, bass/Warr/stick/whatever taking lead beneath).
    did you get the cd/dvd or the big box? have you listened in 5.1 yet?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    did you get the cd/dvd or the big box? have you listened in 5.1 yet?
    Didn't do the big box. Love the double trio, just... not for that much money.

I don't have a wonderful surround setup so I just tried the new stereo mix. Jakko was pretty natural and reductionist, like trying to make the double trio relate directly to the '70s lineups; not sure if I'm gonna dig his take of TPTB when that comes out. In fact, it sounds very much like the last live EP he produced.

Though it's fun that Pat gets the front speakers and Bill gets the back (I think), because it allows you to interact as you please when things get crazy (SSEDD). I peered into my surround rip to inquire

I hope to get a glimpse at the surround mix of the live shows, though I doubt they live up to what I'd do, which is to make the full split and put one trio completely left and the other completely right, with vocals centered. Probably even use the front and back as the "stereo" drum overheads per side, so you could look left and get full stereo trio 1 or right for full stereo trio 2. I suspect that would have been too much separation for an "official" mix. Makes me wonder how the FOH engineer at the time handled it!

Sid Smith, who handled some of the liner notes in this box, confirmed during the Facebook THRAK listening party – great fun! – that parts used to make "VROOOM VROOOM" had been in Fripp's head since Red, planned for a scrapped companion piece. Now it makes more sense that "Red" was played so frequently on the tour, as opposed to a vocal piece from that record. Current Kcrim should go whole-hog and play both simultaneously!

I'll tell you this much right now: Anyone who thinks ATTACKaTHRAK is a waste of time is fucking crazy. It's too good for them.

Why isn't any of this on wax?
    Last edited by seasonsinthesky; 11-08-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    so does this mean we're getting some kind of construkction of light set?! that'd be rad!

edit: never realized how much pat looks like michael gira when he has long hair and no beard.

also, never got around to buying the thrak box and my wife and i put a bunch of money into the MST3K kickstarter that's happening right now, so i'm hoping that someone in my family will be awesome enough to get it for me for my b-day (right after x-mas).
    in the meantime, i feel like i should have bought the regular cd/dvd version so i could at least check out the 5.1 of the album.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I really hope for a TCOL set. As much as Fripp seems to hate it, it has a bunch of essential work. And if they re-mix it, maybe Jakko can figure out a way to warm it up and make it less hollow and unappealing-sounding.

Though I have to say I officially prefer the original THRAK mix. Yes, the separation is far lesser, but it sounds absolutely ENORMOUS and crushing, and that's exactly what the point was. Perhaps Jakko's mix is suited better for the ballads, but the heavy hitters on the record were mixed better the first time, which takes more into account the industrial metal influence fuelling the harder style (which I suspect Adrian brought in after his foray into TDS!).

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Apparently they didn't play Schizoid Man last night, because someone was taking photos on their goddamn phone all night (ALL NIGHT) and Fripp walked off before finishing the encore.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT fuck this up for me, Toronto... anyone who does that shit tonight will be cruising to have their precious fucking iPhone shoved right up their asshole.

FOR TONIGHT I WILL SEE CRIM, PRAISE BE!
    Last edited by botley; 11-20-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Seeing the AMAZING new-vintage lineup has really invigorated my passion for this band and I am in a deep, dark rabbit hole of '69-'74 era Crim (including the astounding Starless box set, which my cat "gave me" for Christmas... since he's the only other one in our household who tolerates my blasting it at full volume).
    Last edited by botley; 12-27-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my parents are ridiculous and got me the Thrak box set for my birthday. it's so well put-together and i can't wait to delve into it. put on the blu-ray in 5.1 yesterday while trying to read and i found myself focusing too much on the music and reading the same few sentences over and over, so i'm going to wait until i can just sit and listen to it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

The long-awaited King Crimson Collector's Club 42 is now available for pre-order here. http://shop.schizoidshop.com/king-cr...ls…Taken together with The Champaign-Urbana Sessions (CLUB21), the work-in-progress sketches, outtakes, bright ideas, dead-ends and cul-de-sacs gathered on Rehearsals & Blows (May-November 1983) provide a kind of counter-factual, alternative history to King Crimson’s catalogue; a shadow album that traces those points where things came together or fell apart in the trying, where ideas either bloomed or withered.
    Even at the best of times, when a group is riding high and firing on all creative cylinders, the process can still be something of a struggle. So when a band is in a less-than-optimal state, things can be tough. Very tough indeed. As Tony Levin notes, “In the studio it’s always a battle; wielding guitars like weapons to fight the clock, the headphone mix, budget, record company demands - we struggle to capture some of the magic that happens effortlessly every night in front of an audience.”
    Speaking after the release of Three Of A Perfect Pair in 1984, Bill Bruford commented upon the album that took the group a year not so much to make as it did to find. “It did take quite a while...It’s kind of the fourth album with this version of the band. You see, we recorded one LP and more or less dumped it. We couldn’t quite see the way it was working out. When we reconvened the problems we had just evaporated! Sometimes, time is the only thing you need. Just to get away. And then suddenly the project was on its feet again and we knew where it was going and what to do.”
    CLUB42
    King Crimson
    Rehearsals & Blows
    May - November 1983
    1 Adrian And Robert
    2 Slow Groove
    3 Funk Groove
    4 Sleepish
    5 Slow Sleepless
    6 An Entry Of The Crims
    7 Sacramento
    8 Perfecting Three Of A Perfect Pair
    9 Open Hearted
    10 Working On Sleepless
    11 Easy To Solo Over
    12 Do You Dig Me?
    13 Industrial
    14 Steinberger Melody
    15 Shidare Zakura

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Cool. Good excuse to dig out and listen to the Champaign-Urbana disc again! Hopefully this means that at least one 40th anniversary box set for that Beat/Perfect Pair era is still on the cards... I haven't even begun delving into that era properly on my recent Krim binge.
    Last edited by botley; 01-06-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    holy fucking shit.

just moved my coffee table out of the way, turned off the tv, and literally just sat and listened to Thrak in 5.1.
    jakko might not have all the finesse of steven wilson, but he still definitely knows what he's doing. it sounded amazing. currently have attackathrak on which is a lot better than i remember thrakkattack being when i bought it back when i was like 15 and didn't really know what it was. haha.
    also, the "liner notes" in this box are great. i've been reading the big essay and it's really fascinating.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

During the interview with Robert Fripp for the BBC's "David Bowie: Five Years (2013)"… a question was asked, answered, and edited out of the documentary.

Q: Why was Bowie so influential? (paraphrase).
    A: He spoke on behalf of what is highest in all of us.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    picked up the Neal & Jack & Me DVD for $8 today at my local record store. currently watching/listening in 5.1. i've never actually watched any live video of the 80s incarnation of the band so it's REALLY cool to see.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    FUCK YES! First full show of the new lineup released on KCCC and it's only the show I went to, for fuck's sakes!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Also available to download now from DGM directly, as the CD will be shipped out in a couple weeks. This will be a taste of the proper live album to come (with DVD) in September.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I fucking want this!!!!!

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's so good. HOLY SHIT IT'S SO GOOOOOD!

Never been happier to have my smiling mug grace an album's liner notes (in the second row, just to the right of the fold at 0:38 in the above video) and idiotic cheering audible on its recorded contents.
    Last edited by botley; 02-29-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From the sound of "Easy Money" (which is available as a free download), this sounds much louder than Live at the Orpheum. The drummers come across more aggressively and it all sounds so tight. One lucky man you were indeed @botley.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 06-12-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    debating whether or not to buy the CD. like i said over in the kanye thread, i really don't buy CDs anymore (unless they're part of box sets or CD/DVD sets) because i barely even listen to them in my car these days (got a new car last june and the CD slot is INSIDE the glove compartment at a weird angle, so it is basically impossible for me to reach when i'm driving). so maybe i'll just get the MP3 version, since that's how i'll be listening to it the majority of the time. : /

p.s. is there ANY update on the Beat & ToaPP 5.1 releases?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm going to get the FLAC version ASAP. I'll lay the money down for the physical release of the set coming out in September because there will be a visual element as well.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I'm going to get the FLAC version ASAP. I'll lay the money down for the physical release of the set coming out in September because there will be a visual element as well.
    Yes, that will be a composite release from different shows (there were certainly no video cameras at the Toronto show). This is the first time they have released an entire show performed by this lineup (Live at the Orpheum was also a composite of several nights).

The download sounds very much how I remember it being on the day: very present but not overwhelming vocals and bass, lots of guitar from either side of the stage, prominent woodwinds when featured, and a big wide swath of all three drumkits coming from every direction. Impressive, full soundstage with just a little bit of crunch.

I think the FLAC is worth the extra money, and the booklet looks really good too if you opt for the physical version. @eversonpoe the 80s era box(es) are still planned, but probably not until next year at the earliest given the touring/release schedule for the rest of 2016 already seems set.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    New guy touring with them for the UK tour this fall.

NEW DRUMMER FOR KING CRIMSONRobert Fripp has announced that Jeremy Stacy will be replacing Bill Rieflin on the forthcoming 2016 tour starting in September. Writing in his updated diary, Fripp notes:
    Bill Rieflin recently decided to take a sabbatical, a decision supported by all the Crimson Brothers. So, what to do with September performances already sold out?
    Both Gavin and Jakko’s first thought was: call Jeremy Stacy. Jeremy grew up in the Bournemouth Scene, where I went to see both Stacy Brothers at Bumbles (a Bournemouth club) in 1981. Jeremy worked with Paul Holman in Wimborne, next door to the former Fripp World HQ. Bournemouth features large in the Crimson world of players: Michael Giles, Greg Lake, Robert Fripp, Gordon Haskell, Andy McCullough, John Wetton and now - Jeremy Stacey.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?a...entry=83911099

You wait all year for a diary and then, just like buses, two come at once…

Time to come clean about everything we have been up to - and all those wonderful plans lurking teasingly out of reach in a state of “about to be becoming”.

First up, I suspect that many people now know what I have been doing for the first two months of this year – mixing “Live in Toronto” with Mark Vreeken (KC’s live sound engineer). It seems, given the general flow of the reviews, that we succeeded in hitting the sweet spot – although when I sent the first draft around, one of the band members told me “you’ve made the ugliest album ever” (I paraphrase slightly). A very slight remix, and some production mastering, and we now apparently have “the best KC album ever”. The gap between the two is scarily small – particularly when my self-imposed brief was to make a stompingly, powerful album that reflected the live show that we have all been enjoying. Take one band, sprinkle liberally with distortion, adjust compression until ears bleed, back off slightly for good taste – on second thoughts, put back to the level you just had it. One man’s “clear and yet absolutely thumping” is another man’s “cymbal distortion is unfortunate” (get with the program!).

And yes, it all has to be done again in a couple of months time for the all-singing, dancing, videoing album this autumn (which will also include the pieces not on this CD). There will be some tasters on the DGMLive Youtube channel as we complete them.

And if this were not enough, there will, of course be a boxed set to go under the Christmas Tree (unreleased gems from the 1980s being unearthed even as I write), a new DGMLive website for 1st September (there’s a hostage to fortune if ever there was), a KC book, a new Vicar album, a new Vicar novel, accounts to complete for the KC tour last year, this year’s KC European tour to manage…I suddenly remember why I wasn’t writing my diary as often as I should have been.

If that were not sufficient, I have decided to learn Welsh. Bore Da

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    And if this were not enough, there will, of course be a boxed set to go under the Christmas Tree (unreleased gems from the 1980s being unearthed even as I write)
    Ooh, yummy! Hope they do make it out in time for the end of this year, that all sounds like quite a full workload.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Great as that sounds I'm most interested in the book. Hopefully it's a comprehensive band biography, now would certainly be the time for it it seems.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    live in toronto is finally up on Amazon

about the same price (with free shipping) as it would be from other sources. can't believe i'm going to buy a CD haha.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    can't believe i'm going to buy a CD haha.
    Jooooin uuuuus.

I just started buying CD's (again) about a year ago, it's a completely different experience to unwrapping vinyl but satisfying nonetheless.

This will also be the 2nd purchase this year where someone I know is pictured in the packaging/liner notes. The first being my friend, Paul, pictured in the crowd of people for the Grateful Dead Fare Thee Well box set.