Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    We got the $120 tix
    if there are still $90 tickets available tomorrow (when my next credit card statement starts) and my dad is willing to pay for his own ticket, i'm gonna get them. but i also have to buy my wedding ring this month so i guess i'll be scaling back on vinyl purchases.

what do the different price levels do? get you closer to the stage? because i'm totally fine sitting in the balcony at the vic.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I think you all get the same swag but it's different seating areas, yeah, it appears that the balcony is the $90 seating.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    https://www.burningshed.com/store/ki...duct/313/6012/

Limited to a single pressing run, Starless offers an in-depth overview of King Crimson's celebrated mid-1970's live line-up at its most exploratory.

Few bands have offered as much variety in material from night to night, and King Crimson's propensity for improvisation and fondness for playing its newest material - often unreleased on record at the time of performance - is legendary.

---------

Autumn 1973: As King Crimson's second lengthy US tour of that year was coming to a close, a short series of UK concerts for the end of October, followed by a more extensive European tour in November was already planned. Three of these concerts Glasgow, Zurich and Amsterdam were recorded as full multi-track recordings, with material from the Amsterdam show being used as core material for the January 1974 recording of Starless And Bible Black.

From mid-March to the start of April, the band was on the road in Europe again, promoting the album with their final European concerts of the decade, prior to undertaking a further US tour. A number of these concerts were recorded on stereo reel to reel machines, fed directly from the signal as sent to the PA system on the night of the performance. These soundboards are often referred to as The Blue Tapes, named after the outer colour of the original tape boxes and are especially valued for both the quality of recording and performance.

Starless offers 18 CDs of live concert performances - 7 of them mixed from the 1973 multi-track tapes. A further 11 present the complete run of The Blue Tapes for the first time.

CDs of the ORTF Paris TV performance and the 2011 stereo mix of Starless And Bible Black also feature. Two DVD-A discs and two Blu-Ray discs contain concert and studio recordings in stereo, quadraphonic and full 5.1 surround sound - all in high-resolution audio.

Starless is presented in a 12" box with a comprehensive booklet featuring sleeve notes and photos aplenty, memorabilia, album and poster prints, and 3 bonus audio CDs.

Pre-order for October 13th release.
    * 19 CDs of live performance material.

* 7 CDs taken from multi-track tape including 4CDs of material from the Glasgow and Zurich shows, freshly assembled and mastered in Hi-Res from the original Great Deceiver mixes by David Singleton at DGM Soundworld in 2014, the Amsterdam show The Nightwatch mixed by Steven Wilson and a previously unheard preparatory of material from the same show prepared by George Chkiantz (engineer of all live KC shows of the era and the Red album).

* 11 CDs drawn from high quality stereo reel to reel soundboard tapes. 8 making their first appearance on CD with the remaining three re-mastered or drawn from new tape sources.

* 1 CD presenting the performance from the ORTF Paris TV broadcast

* CD 20 features the 2011 stereo mix of Starless And Bible Black by Steven Wilson and Robert Fripp

* DVD-A 1 features the Starless & Bible Black album in 5.1 Surround, with new & original stereo album mixes in High Resolution Stereo plus bonus audio material.

* DVD-A 2 features material from Mainz (mixed by David Singleton), Amsterdam (mixed by Steven Wilson) & a later show from Pittsburgh (mixed by George Chkiantz) in quadraphonic audio and High-Resolution Stereo.

* Both DVD-A discs are region 0 playable in all areas & compatible with all DVD players and DVD Rom players

* Blu-Ray Disc 1 features full lossless audio 24/192 transfers of material from the Glasgow and Zurich shows, freshly assembled & mastered from the original Great Deceiver mixes by David Singleton at DGM Soundworld in 2014 in LPCM stereo.

* Blu-Ray Disc 1 also features the Amsterdam show The Nightwatch, mixed by Steven Wilson and the George Chkiantz preparatory mix stereo in 24/96 High-resolution stereo & a 24/96 transfer of the original David Singleton/Robert Fripp mix of The Nightwatch.

* Blu-Ray Disc 2 features Starless & Bible Black in 5.1 Surround (DTS-HD MAS & LPCM 24/96) alongside new and original stereo masters of the album, a needledrop of an original vinyl pressing plus audio extras.

* Blu-Ray Disc 2 also features the Quad mixes of material from the Mainz, Amsterdam & Pittsburgh concerts.

* Blu-Ray Disc 2 also features the ORTF Paris TV footage in a new hi-res transfer from the original source files.

* Discs packaged in 8 individual 3 disc digipaks within an album sized box

* 3 additional bonus CDs of audio restored soundboard/bootlegs and audio curios are also included.

* 1 further concert (bootleg quality audio) is also available via included download ticket.

* Album sized booklet with rare/unseen photos, new sleeve notes by Sid Smith, technical notes on the recordings by David Singleton, eye-witness accounts from fans who attended the gigs plus memorabilia including an album print, poster, replica concert ticket, press release with folder, photos and more besides.

* Limited to a single pressing run.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    HOLY SHIT! This looks incredible! I hope it doesn't sell out before I can manage to snag it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    why do i have to be getting married next month. god damnit...

does anyone have the road to red box set? this seems like it's way more worthwhile than that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I do and it's a pretty massive and essential set on it's own. But I think this will even top that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    DGM launched their new YouTube channel in style today.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ^ holy shit. super bummed i'm not seeing them

on another note, i just picked up Three Of A Perfect Pair on vinyl, so now (with the liberation of some of my dad's records from his collection, which were getting damaged from improper storage, and the fact that i already owned USA, Discipline, & Beat), i own every pre-90s crimson album on vinyl.

why does the vinyl pressing of TOAPP use one of the (subtle) remixes of sleepless? i'm so used to hearing the remastered CD which has the original version of sleepless, and had no idea it was used on the original vinyl release. anyone have any insights?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i thought all the KC vinyl used the original masters, not the SW mixes. (that was my whole excuse for not buying them!)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i thought all the KC vinyl used the original masters, not the SW mixes. (that was my whole excuse for not buying them!)
    no, they do. but i bought an ORIGINAL US pressing of three of a perfect pair. so one that was released in 1984. the version of "sleepless" that's on there is one of the remixes that's included as a bonus track on the 30th anniversary CD.

the SW mix / 40th anniversary version of the album hasn't come out yet, and neither has a new vinyl pressing.

ah, i should have looked on wikipedia: "Two of the three Sleepless mixes were previously available on the UK 12" single. The Clearmountain mix appeared (incorrectly credited and against the band's wishes) on the US Warner Bros. LP pressing."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    First show was last night, here's a report on how it went down. There be SPOILERS as it has the setlist, which looks incredible.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    First show was last night, here's a report on how it went down. There be SPOILERS as it has the setlist, which looks incredible.
    I just jizzed over that setlist.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    really hope we get a bluray of this tour! yeesh!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    In The Court Of The Crimson King, Larks' Tongues In Aspic, and Red are all available for pre-order on iTunes for release on the 30th.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    In The Court Of The Crimson King, Larks' Tongues In Aspic, and Red are all available for pre-order on iTunes for release on the 30th.
    which versions of them?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Each one is labeled as a "Expanded & Remastered Original Album Mix". They also have extra tracks, but just a few and not all of the ones that are on the 40th Anniversary Series CD's. But each one goes for 11.99, and you're lucky if you can find one of those CD's for under 20-25 (if you're not bothered with the 5.1 mixes).

I own all of them so I'm obviously not interested in these for myself, but I think it's great that this music is more readily available for the modern market now.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    2014 Tour Box is out.
    I've downloaded (and purchased) it, and it's full of previously unreleased takes and tracks. Can wait to hear it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    2014 Tour Box is out.
    I've downloaded (and purchased) it, and it's full of previously unreleased takes and tracks. Can wait to hear it.
    where would one find this item?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    where would one find this item?
    https://www.burningshed.com/store/ki...ollection/313/
    Here, but it says it's out of stock for now - they said that more copies are on the way, but apparently that message is deleted now. Not sure why...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Last night Warfield -Awesomenessballztothewallssqueee!!! Now I am not the biggest fan of pre Discipline KC, but I think Fripp was right in saying, "This is not for you". Jakko was the perfect choice for this incarnation, it gave Robert a bit more space to be more than just texture. That said I am really excited about Ade's new project Flux https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-same-twice. This show was off the hook probably my favorite moment was "One More Red Nightmare" The drumming was amazing it was like one six armed, sex legged beast! The band as a whole was like one body of greatness, I believe the Crimson One did stop for a visit last night. Crowd was great I don't think I saw one phone in the air and everyone was in the moment, and what a moment it was! If I wasn't broker than the Ten Commandments I would be back tonight. Only two shows left, if you have the means I highly recommend it. Merch was great but again I had nothing but pocket lint, hopefully it will show up at DGM. What a show!!
    Setlist looks accurate at Setlist.fm
    -Louie

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Some news on later releases.

A lot of folks have been asking about the availability of downloads from the last tour. As Mr.Stormy indicated in his reply to a guestbook question earlier this week, there are no downloads of the 2014 tour envisaged at this stage. Jakko Jakszyk is currently listening through all the recordings of the concerts assessing what might be made available for release in the spring of 2015.

Staying with the 2014 tour, the good news is that the phenomenally successful Elements Of King Crimson tour box will be available for mail order (Inner Knot) and regular retail from November.

The 40th Anniversary Edition of Beat will now also be 2015. While many will be disappointed at the news, the prevailing view is that it's better to have the CD/DVD-A release as good as it possibly could be, and in order to achieve that the release date has been shifted.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Some news on later releases.
    so does that mean we still have to wait longer for three of a perfect pair and thrak? UGH!

i had some down-time this week (lack of work, not really a good thing, but) i took some time to just sit on my couch, read, and listen to a few KC albums in 5.1 for the first time in a while. i'm going chronologically, so islands is up next. not that i could ever forget, but steven wilson really did an amazing job with these, and they're just so fun to listen to.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Just put in my order for Starless. I'd recommend getting it on Amazon.co.uk, as it's only 150$ right now. I opted to get the faster shipping so it's closer to 200 but well worth it all I imagine.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    ...and according to the most recent update on Facebook, Fripp and Jakszyk are already at work on new material.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Good news, new live album of the recent tour to come out in January. Sort of bad news, it's only 40 minutes long. 40 pristine minutes are better than listening to the whole thing as someone's muffled phone recording.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Is it safe to assume this live album will be followed by a bunch of KC Collectors Club live recordings?