Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: King Crimson

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    First time seeing them. This was a bucket-list item the moment I heard of Robert's aim in reforming the band in 2013. The cherry on top of them performing material from the 70's which had mostly gone ignored in the 80's/90's KC, and the period of the band I find the most fascinating, made each new recent release all the more tantalizing to me.

Simply put the presentation blew me away. Even from the very back of the auditorium (and very top, which at least meant I got a good view) I can honestly say I got the full brunt of the sheer force of sound they put out last night. The choice of material was top-notch as several songs I love were given their all, as if they were new.

Beyond that (still coming down from the experience), the way I feel about this music and it's place in the world now, can only be summed up in the words of Fripp himself, more than I ever could.

Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    First time seeing them. This was a bucket-list item the moment I heard of Robert's aim in reforming the band in 2013. The cherry on top of them performing material from the 70's which had mostly gone ignored in the 80's/90's KC, and the period of the band I find the most fascinating, made each new recent release all the more tantalizing to me.

Simply put the presentation blew me away. Even from the very back of the auditorium (and very top, which at least meant I got a good view) I can honestly say I got the full brunt of the sheer force of sound they put out last night. The choice of material was top-notch as several songs I love were given their all, as if they were new.

Beyond that (still coming down from the experience), the way I feel about this music and it's place in the world now, can only be summed up in the words of Fripp himself, more than I ever could.
    i was also there! my dad (who i've always seen them with) came along, as did my wife (it was her first time)!

the music was incredible. all of the drum interludes are so mesmerizing every time i see them. even the asshole who kept loudly and gruffly yelling "YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH" at the top of his lungs like he was at a pantera show during every beautiful, quiet moment couldn't ruin it for me.

i don't know if this quite tops the show from two years ago (the one they put out as live in chicago), but it's close competition.

putting the following in spoiler tags in case anyone's worried about that sort of thing?

Spoiler: hearing larks' tongues iv, cat food(!!!), and FRAME BY FUCKING FRAME were all goosebumps moments for me; i had them the entire way through frame by frame. also, jakko's lyric modifications in easy money were very appropriate to the current political climate and made me chuckle a bit. elektrik was also really refreshing to hear in such a different format (i saw them perform it at the chicago theater in 2002(?) when they were still shaping it). i'm so glad that my wife got to join us for this awesome experience.

oh, it was also pat's birthday last night, and he seemed in even better spirits than usual! mel also danced around a bit with his clarinet(? or is it a soprano sax?) at one point and it was adorable​.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Someone yelled out "happy birthday!" during one of the drum pieces. I was so excited to hear many of the songs for myself in person, as well as the ones poe cites in the spoiler section. All I can say is I am actually now more interested in the vocal pieces they'll do from the Belew era.

I bought the Audio Diary box on the way out, and ripped it this morning. It'll be more interesting for me to hear the stuff from 2017-18, when Rieflin was full-time keyboardist.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    I fucking loved last night's goddamned show! Holy shit!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I implore everybody to get the free mp3 of Moonchild from Juan Les Pins, which has all three cadenzae included. Tony does his usual walk on the upright, but then Fripp... well, things get terrifying, and then Jeremy's piano gets melancholy. Crazy good.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    "Neurotica" from the Toronto show is up now! Yesssss. Also, is it just me or does the dude (still Sid Smith, maybe?) writing the track descriptions for these "hot tickle" live download tracks occasionally just run out of shit to say? For example, putting lyrics from "MacArthur Park" over one of the drum pieces for the Washington, D.C. show — hahaha WTF?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Sid wrote a book in 2002 about the band, and now it is being re-released in a much-expanded edition, covering their entire career up to this point. Inner Knot, who handles KC/DGM stuff in North America, will be releasing this as well, pre-order coming soon once things are figured out.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Released 50 years ago today