Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when Pretty Hate Machine came out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    19 months!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was 8. Astonishingly, I can actually remember the "bow down before the one you serve" song from that period (it would have been on one of the music video shows that aired at roughly the same time as Saturday morning cartoons). When I actually got into NIN in the late 90s, I was surprised and delighted to discover that this was one of their songs (although I initially hated the rest of the songs off PHM).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    -1 year. Wandering somewhere in the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinata89 View Post
    Lucky. I wish I was in your shoes in the 90's/early 2000's. Not just for NIN, but for music in general.
    And the end of the 80's sneeking into clubs to see bands when your underage, It was a good time, and being in and working with bands was great too!

I have managed to see NIN on every tour of Australia and at 41 cant wait for next weeks shows!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    9 years old and obsessed with paula abdul and all things rhythm nation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Minus seven

am I the youngest person here yet?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    8 and listening to Michael Jackson's Bad on repeat. Shamon!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I was born the year it was released... A sign of things to come!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    15. Didn't get the tape until a year later when I got a car. Played the crap out of it then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    7 and like c0f3d, I was quite into Rhythm Nation. Saw "Down In It" on JBTV and got hooked.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Six years old. But not a fan until I started REALLY listening to music around at 11-12 yo. I think I freaked my parents out with what I was listening to then. "No Dad, I don't want to listen to Ace of Bass. Please play this album called Broken in the car."

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    9 years old, and hot damn, i'm still not the old guy. the crazy thing for me was i was listening to it at 12. i think it actually had a bad effect on me.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    fillow, i've been thinking about what you said...if i remember correctly, you posted pretty obsessively back in the arg days, didn't you? maybe i'm wrong.
    I've been around for a long ass time...i used to be Eleven11. Ha...remember when we were all the new people flooding in for the arg and ruining ets for you "real fans?" So crazy...that's been 7 or 8 years ago! time goes too fast.

Speaking of time, @Kris , i like this thread. It is a nice way of asking people to volunteer their age, which is something i've been thinking about myself lately.
    I say post away. Don't get your feelers hurt!
    Some people don't care what happens to your feelers...although that doesn't describe the fillow i remember....fillow was one of the few people who was nice to me when i was a n00b in the arg days, back when ets was a MUCH, MUCH meaner place.
    Maybe there is something going on there that i'm missing...

Also, the majority of kris's threads are NOT about NIN. I am a little confused, fillow!
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-12-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    8 and listening to Michael Jackson's Bad on repeat. Shamon!
    Sorry for the double post, but i had to mention that when i got into NIN, when broken/fixed came out, i was listening to MJ's "Dangerous" on repeat, lol.
    And you know what i've discovered going back listening to some of that MJ stuff?

Michael STILL kicks ass!
    I wish he would have worked with trent.

HAve you ever heard the song Morphine? It SOUNDS like TRs production.

Smooth Criminal is still just about the coolest thing i've ever heard in my life, ever.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but i had to mention that when i got into NIN, when broken/fixed came out, i was listening to MJ's "Dangerous" on repeat, lol.
    And you know what i've discovered going back listening to some of that MJ stuff?

Michael STILL kicks ass!
    I wish he would have worked with trent.

HAve you ever heard the song Morphine? It SOUNDS like TRs production.

Smooth Criminal is still just about the coolest thing i've ever heard in my life, ever.

There's a photo of me at like age 3 holding a mic wearing pink pajamas and a beat it jacket. I still dig older MJ stuff. Dirty Diana is one of my favorite songs of his.

MJ was also a huge fan of TDS.

http://rhythmofthetide.com/michael-j...avorite-music/

I did hear that song after his death because of the aderol stuff.

Dude was a creeper, but quite the entertainer.
    Last edited by OSLIN; 03-12-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I was 4.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    76, it was so much easier to bust a nut in those days.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    There's a photo of me at like age 3 holding a mic wearing pink pajamas and a beat it jacket. I still dig older MJ stuff. Dirty Diana is one of my favorite songs of his.

MJ was also a huge fan of TDS.

http://rhythmofthetide.com/michael-j...avorite-music/

I did hear that song after his death because of the aderol stuff.

Dude was a creeper, but quite the entertainer.
    You know what? i don't think he did the pedophile shit. I really don't.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You know what? i don't think he did the pedophile shit. I really don't.
    I tend to agree, I just think he had issues and was still somewhat creepy. Especially with all the plastic surgeries and... sleepovers.
    Last edited by OSLIN; 03-12-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    I tend to agree, I just think he had issues and was still somewhat creepy. Especially with all the plastic surgeries and... sleepovers.
    He definitely had issues. One of the strangest things i ever heard about him was that he kept mannequins around to feel like there were people in his house.
    Also, i read that he had a messianic complex and actually believed that he had healing powers.
    But it makes sense because of what we did to him...what the world did to him.
    Let's continue this in a MJ thread.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I was nine years old when PHM came out. I remember hearing HLAH on the radio and being amazed, it didn't sound like anything I had ever heard up to that point.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    *in grampa simpson's voice: I was a young whippersnapper of 23 yrs. Although back then we called the band "nails of the nine inch variety" and would watch endless hours of that Musical Television in hopes that a Whitesnake talky-picture jukebox thingy would come on. I was at apartment, what is now called a crib, minding my own, just then the phone rings (see we had this things called telephones that were to big to put in you pocket and you had to have them connected to a wire in order to use them). A friend called me from a club, using what was called a "payphone" (you can look it up on the internet I'm told). My friend says "Dude you gotta get down here quick this band is insane" (we used the word dude a lot in those days). Well I quickly jumped in my Datsun to check it out. The very next day i went to a place called a "Record Store" this one "Record Store" was called Tower Records, it was an amazing place. I purchased the album with the last of my folding money.
    Well now it's time for my nap.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was -5 years old... Holy hell... And 2005 seemed like an eternity to me when I looked back at [W_T]...
    Now that I started thinking about it, I was -8 months or so when TDS came out...
    Most of the people here may say I'm exaggerating a little bit when I say I feel old... but heck, I feel old...
    Last edited by Frolick Shiawase; 03-16-2014 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Year correction

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darksiren82 View Post
    7 and like c0f3d, I was quite into Rhythm Nation. Saw "Down In It" on JBTV and got hooked.
    i read somewhere that gary numan loved that record, too. he even referred to it as industrial (which i totally understand).

on topic -- there are so many babies here! please, everyone, try and watch yer mouths.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Yeah, from what I've noticed, the majority of people on ETS seem to have been born in the 1970s and 1980s. I also remember discussing something like this in the Random NIN Thoughts thread. It was certainly nice to see that statistics @Leviathant revealed as far as the age demographics of NIN fans on the Internet went.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    -3 years. I was born exactly one year after broken.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    7 years

...i would end up "knowing" the album 6 years later in a local record shop i used to go a lot when i was young, i already owned "The Downward Spiral" and "Further Down the Spiral" and i remember being infatuated with the album cover, just looking at it at the record store, waiting for it to be mine...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    2 years old.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    7 years old. I'm pretty sure at that point all the music I had was a Buddy Holly tape my mom bought me. It would be a few years before I started wearing backwards pants like Kriss Kross...and much longer before I first became acquinted with NIN in '95 or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The age range in this topic would be much wider if more of the elders stuck their heads above the parapet, that's for sure! The hair in the pre-sale member front row is becoming either rather sparse and/or rather grey these days

When PHM released I was 21, in uniform, had been to sea and my daughter was 6 months old. Back then the web was also just released, a brand new bright idea form Mr Berners-Lee ... the established habit of surfing bulletin boards, usenet groups and newfangled irc channels for info was a time consuming and arcane skill.

Needless to say it took a while longer for all things new to propagate outside of national boundaries unless you were pretty au fait with the "underground". A few months after PHM I was both back at sea and on my way across the pond for the first time, where I caught up with the NiN phenomenon properly, rather than divining the boards online or relying on dated, scattered fragments in the seedier side of the UK music press.

Wind a quarter of a century on the clock and that 6 month old daughter was now sat next to me on Sunday at the LG Arena. Truly great music knows no generational boundaries.
    Last edited by Southwestwall; 05-20-2014 at 02:32 PM.