The Cocktail Thread

Moscato Asti today.

I thought you didn't drink @allergro?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Moscato Asti today.

I thought you didn't drink @allergro?
    I do, but in limited quantities due to migraines and hormonal levels. It's nice, actually, because I SAVOR, now, and I don't blindly overindulge. Very very rarely hard liquor; I had some rum eggnog and some Bailey's during the holidays, but in very limited amounts; I'm terrified of overdoing it. Once you've gone to the ER for migraines a few times, you do not wish to push that shit. I'm now on SEIZURE meds for migraines.

I actually got HIGHLY-coveted season ticket invites for NEXt in Chicago, something G REALLY wanted. The 1st 2 (Bistro and Tapas) seem great, but the 3rd one (Terroir) is minimum $310 per person with 15 meal courses and REQUIRE TEN WINE COURSES PER PERSON. NO FUCKING WAY. I WOULD BE IN THE HOSPITAL.

Moscato Asti: THAT HAS MORE SUGAR THAN A BROWNIE!!!

Prosecco has pretty much no sulfites (sulfites are avoided by migraineurs) but - unfortunately - it's high in sugar. Champagne is low in sulfites and low in sugar. Ever read "French Women Don't Get Fat?" LOL. HIGHLY recommended!! Sure, she's not a great author but she promotes portion control. And champagne for all courses. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mireille_Guiliano

MIMOSAS FOR EVERYONE!!
    Last edited by allegro; 12-28-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

Moscato Asti: THAT HAS MORE SUGAR THAN A BROWNIE!!!
    Oh fuck me

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Oh fuck me
    I had sidecar martinis last night. Officially the sweetest. Ughhhhh

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we made Gin Slings last night using a special limited batch bottle of gin that our friend gave us for x-mas. they were DELICIOUS. and it was our first time making a cocktail with bitters!

1.5 oz gin
    3 dashes bitters
    lemon twist
    top with seltzer

i used lemon san pellegrino but sarah used lemon & seltzer, and i definitely put more bitters in mine (i really like them).

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    we made Gin Slings last night using a special limited batch bottle of gin that our friend gave us for x-mas. they were DELICIOUS. and it was our first time making a cocktail with bitters!

1.5 oz gin
    3 dashes bitters
    lemon twist
    top with seltzer

i used lemon san pellegrino but sarah used lemon & seltzer, and i definitely put more bitters in mine (i really like them).
    Those sound good. I haven't had gin in a long while. I have used bitters for when I'm nauseous. Seltzer with a dash or two of bitters, works every time. I have no idea why.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    What kind of bitters and gin?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    What kind of bitters and gin?
    angostura bitters and the gin is the top one on this page: still crazy barrel river rose gin
    we used the whole bottle of gin (it wasn't very big).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Ooh, you should definitely make pink gin with that! It's basically gin + bitters; put the bottle in the fridge for a few hours first.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was looking to make something with mezcal and I came across a 'Last of the Oaxacans' (totally loving the Last of the Mohicans and I've been eating Oaxacan tacos lately). Then I read that it was a take on the 'Last Word' and as I don't have any Chartreuse, I used absinthe & benedictine (a google search said people search for chartreuse and those 2, so ... I came up with the following:

1 part: mezcal, cherry heering, fresh squeezed lime
    1/4 part: absinthe, benedictine

It's interesting (I should have put only 1 part lime - I squeezed a whole one and have about 1.5 parts in my drink, and it's a bit tart). As for the mezcal, I'm thinking that it could be better [/more suited to my preferences] to go with gin or rye-unless you're one that loves it super smokey, then stick with the mezcal.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'm going to start work soon at a brew pub and I'm terrified of the prospect of mixing drinks. I asked what were the most common and they struggled to think of at least 5 drinks that didn't include the ingredients in the name (gin and tonic, rum and coke, bourbon and coke, etc.) so that made me feel better. Dark and Stormy's are apparently two ingredients too but some make it fancy with a third ingredient. After that I just have to worry about...Margaritas, Tequila Sunrise...and...uh...I'm apparently given the right to refuse to mix a drink I don't know how to make because "we're a brew pub, buy our unique beers only brewed here" argument. Yay! Best first bar tending job ever!

Edit. Oh yeah, add martinis to the list.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    I'm going to start work soon at a brew pub and I'm terrified of the prospect of mixing drinks. I asked what were the most common and they struggled to think of at least 5 drinks that didn't include the ingredients in the name (gin and tonic, rum and coke, bourbon and coke, etc.) so that made me feel better. Dark and Stormy's are apparently two ingredients too but some make it fancy with a third ingredient. After that I just have to worry about...Margaritas, Tequila Sunrise...and...uh...I'm apparently given the right to refuse to mix a drink I don't know how to make because "we're a brew pub, buy our unique beers only brewed here" argument. Yay! Best first bar tending job ever!

Edit. Oh yeah, add martinis to the list.
    dark and stormy's are traditionally dark rum, ginger beer, and lime. a fancy version adds angostura bitters.
    margaritas are easy, especially because most bars just use margarita mix and tequila. but even from scratch, it's just tequila, triple sec, lime juice, simple syrup.
    a tequila sunrise (which i don't think most people order anymore unless they're me) is just tequila, orange juice, and grenadine.

you'll do fine! it's classic drinks that are named after people that are hard to remember.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    You can also use the excuse of "if it's only got one alcohol in it it's not a cocktail". Because that's the fucking truth of the matter.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    I'm apparently given the right to refuse to mix a drink I don't know how to make because "we're a brew pub, buy our unique beers only brewed here" argument. Yay! Best first bar tending job ever!
    Definitely. I remember at my old Irish pub hangout I was was surprised, but laughed when I heard the bartender says to a customer who asked for a frozen something: "I do shots and beer. What do you want?"

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    So today I found out there's a cocktail called the "Rich Dead Nazi (aka Liquid Cocaine) : Goldschläger, Jägermeister, and peppermint schnapps mixed in equal proportion" (from wikipedia)
    Gonna have to try that this summer.