Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Under The Skin

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Under The Skin

Last edited by onthewall2983; 07-04-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm going to fucking see this!!!!!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Anyone else think of Underneath The Skin remix when reading this title?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'll just try to ignore all the superlatives thrown around...too many times the hype has proven unfounded. Still, very interested in this!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I love all the trailers for this. They tell practically nothing, but make the movie very intriguing. The review quotes here are a bit goofy, but I understand why they did it(the 'prestige advertising' model). Looking forward to this; it seems like it has some nice Kubrick and Lynch influences.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    This looks like the film Beyond The Black Rainbow tried to be. Also, it kind of reminds me of Lifeforce (something I've never seen but read about, and kind of get the gist of the plot) but more intriguing than a B horror movie.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Saw this last night. The movie is totally open to interpretation. The imagery and themes have stuck with me. Definitely worth checking out if you like movies that don't hold your hand with exposition.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw this a few weeks ago, and one of the best things I can say about it is that it stuck with me. 24 hours after seeing it, and still thinking about it, I realized how much I liked it. Be warned: it's an art-house film (favoring long takes, silences, and ambiguity), but that's not necessarily a bad thing - especially when Scar Jo is at the top of her game and Mica Levi's score is so good. It's more like a faded memory of the book (thank you, Rustin Cohle) than an adaptation, but that allowed me to appreciate it on its own merits. On that note, I highly recommend the book.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I finally saw the film a few weeks ago. Truly a film for the ages. I think if it was released for Oscar consideration last year, Scarlett might've gotten a nod and a very deserving one. This is truly one of her best performances. The score is amazing as is the sound design. Here's my review: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2014/0...2013-film.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Holy shit I liked this movie even more than I thought I would. I love how it was kinda weird but not too crazy like Upstream Colour or even some Lynch stuff. Personally I didn't feel that there was much up for interpretation because as the film progressed it all kinda fell into place (but i guess what seemed obvious to me could be misinterpretations).

Maybe it didn't have entirely original content but the way it presented it makes this the least corny sci fi film ever. Spoiler: In most Sci Fi's there's some crazy CG alien or person in cheap make-up likening humans to "PUNY ANTS!" and here we have SJ just chillin', watching a little ant on her hand. The whole heart of the film does the same thing to the typical "I can't live in this strange world" story but it comes across in a way that, for me, was really easy to connect with. Anyone who's ever had that outsider feeling should feel a connection with the alien and anyone with experience of general depression could definitely see some of themselves in her lonely, hopeless mind towards the end of the film.

Loved the music, the feeding scenes theme is an instant classic or would be if more people saw the film. Most of it was shot well but the car cameras bugged me a little, it gave me that Brechtian effect where I was taken out of the world and reminded I was watching a film and I'm not sure if it was supposed to or if it was a logistical necessity due to the nature of the film making process. SJ's performance was good but I don't know if it was award worthy and it probably wasn't as strong as her performance in Lost in Translation, but then Spoiler: an alien is a much harder character to play.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Under The Skin

I watched this strange and ethereal psychological exercise this morning and it lodged deeply into my subconscious.
    The audio and visuals almost put me in a trance. and i didn't realize the full extent of what i was experiencing until i contemplated it later.

As tired as i am of the trend of movies that don't quite make sense, i found this eerie and haunting film to be stellar...it feels like a dream i had.

And it turns out that Scarlett Johansen (however you spell it) was really interacting with random people for a majority of the film...she was disguised and the crew used hidden cameras... and obviously there was no real concrete script. that makes it even more bizarre and even deeper.

what did you guys think? i'll shut up with the existential hippie bullshit

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I watched this strange and ethereal psychological exercise this morning and it lodged deeply into my subconscious.
    The audio and visuals almost put me in a trance. and i didn't realize the full extent of what i was experiencing until i contemplated it later.

As tired as i am of the trend of movies that don't quite make sense, i found this eerie and haunting film to be stellar...it feels like a dream i had.

And it turns out that Scarlett Johansen (however you spell it) was really interacting with random people for a majority of the film...she was disguised and the crew used hidden cameras... and obviously there was no real concrete script. that makes it even more bizarre and even deeper.

what did you guys think? i'll shut up with the existential hippie bullshit

edit: this post is from the double thread i accidentally made

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Just watched it today myself and it truly is mesmerising. It's really more about having an emotional experience and/or reaction than actually following a plot. I guess there are male/female themes to be found as well, but I won't be absolute on this since I see it is based on a book and I'm holding judgement until I read it. Great use of music!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Wow, thats wild. When I watch this again knowing that it'll shed some new light on the film. I wonder if the guys who hitched a ride with her invited to the studio to film the black room scenes, and if the deformed guy was real and not a costume.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Deformed guy was supposedly real. Looked CGI'd to me, but I've never really seen such people in person so what do I know?
    I've read at IMDB boards that non-scripted scenes with non-actors were mostly with the guys she didn't ultimately pick up. Everyone Spoiler: who was in the black room were actors or otherwise auditioned for the part.

I've finally seen this film in theater (it came to us with few months of delay) and enjoyed it a lot. It was also amusing observing random people in the audience who didn't do their research before coming. 'What are we doing here?' 'Who shoots this crap?' 'WTF is going on?' etc. (I also saw a lot of those when I watched Cosmopolis).

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    the deformed guy is real.

i wondered about this myself. interesting cat. i'm willing to bet that this gig will open some doors for him in the acting world, you know? i doubt there are many people with faces as unique as his.

Wow, thats wild. When I watch this again knowing that it'll shed some new light on the film.
    - @Millionaire

i feel the same way. i almost feel as if they should tell you ahead of time you know? i mean it really changes almost everything about the film.
    the mrs hasn't seen it; i watched it while she was asleep so i'm sure i will see it again soon.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-11-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Finally saw it tonight. My mind is slowly unscrambling it all, but I have the feeling it'll stay with me for awhile.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I really wanna see this. I just downloaded this the other night and need to get the right atmosphere to watch this one night. Looks great!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    How did I not post in here?

I saw this in a packed theater in April. Half way through the film only 15 people were left.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    One of the best films released in 2014. I finally saw this the other week, I loved almost everything about it, except the way it ended.
    Scarlett,s face is captivating. she is so magnetic to look at here, Empty, Dead, Soulless yet beautiful at the same time.
    She resembles a very infamous British female child killer from the 60s called Myra Hindley. ( if your a Throbbing Gristle/ Coil or Morrissey/Smiths or Pulp/ Jarvis Cocker fan that name should be familiar with you!)
    Gloomy Glasgow looks beautiful. I much prefer movies set in dark cities for some reason.

i bet Scarlett had a lot of fun making this, i know some of the people she picked up were real and not acting, brave thing to do.
    i liked the scenes where she sucks the guys into that arty weird dimension the most. I had no idea what was happening. but i interpreted it my own way.
    the disfigured man was real there has been a few documentaries about him.

i wish this director would release more films, Sexy Beast was one of the best films of the previous decade.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The movie is now available to watch on Amazon Prime, btw.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Wow what a movie, just watched this. So absorbing, and disturbing, and tragic. It left me wanting to know more, a lot more.

Surprised by the outcry against it: people really have no clue.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Wow what a movie, just watched this. So absorbing, and disturbing, and tragic. It left me wanting to know more, a lot more.

Surprised by the outcry against it: people really have no clue.
    Agreed. It is really thought provoking as well. I had to watch it twice just to get exactly everything that was going on because I can honestly say my eyes never left the screen right from the opening sequence (which made me feel like I took an 1/8 of shrooms). Mesmerizing is the word I would use.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I was so disturbed by it, I truly never want to see it again. But in a good way.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I was really disturbed by this film too, its a visual masterpiece. The lo fi vibe. It feels like a sinister real life documentary. Scarlett scared the shit out of me here.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 10-12-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i loved this movie too for many of the reasons described above. Also...you know...naked Scarjo. Funny story re: people leaving the theater during this movie. My friend and his gf thought they were seeing Lucy when they bought their tix. Idiots. They did enjoy the movie still although they were very confused.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I haven't seen this for a good 2 and a half years now, and the beach scene still fucks me up. It shows the horror in complete and total apathy (and really drives home that this is told from a literally inhuman perspective), that I cannot say I've seen anywhere else before. Or have seen done so convincingly.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    ive enjoyed seeing several aspects of this movie ripped off by others since it came out. Didn't think people would notice? We noticed.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Steven Soderbergh was asked which film he was envious of and he replied saying this was it.

I noticed it most strongly in Stranger Things, and a little bit in the third season of Hannibal. I'm quite sure some of it's influence seeped into Westworld too. Quite interestingly there is a television version in the works, which I'm guessing takes quite a bit more from the original novel.

This is on Netflix. Is it in 4K?
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 07-04-2020 at 07:37 PM.