Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 2617

Thread: Dead Souls

  1. #2581
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    shock and sadness too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  2. #2582
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,406
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)


    When she was 21, Elizabeth made a vow to devote her life in service to her people. And she meant it. Less than 48 hours before her death, she was still doing her duty as Queen.

    You can rest now, Your Majesty. Your work is done. Thank you for your service and your dignity, always.

  3. #2583
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,899
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    She was a remarkable person.

  4. #2584
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,511
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Talk about good aging genetics. Her mom was 101, she was 96. Almost 200 years between them, wow!

  5. #2585
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,774
    Mentioned
    663 Post(s)
    Even as an American, and a lifelong texan, the Queen's death touched me. &lt;br&gt;<br>
    &lt;br&gt;<br>
    I always saw her as a stabilizing force and a peacemaker on the world stage.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-09-2022 at 09:57 AM.

  6. #2586
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,775
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Talk about good aging genetics.
    Pretty sure genetics had nothing to do with it.

  7. #2587
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,774
    Mentioned
    663 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Pretty sure genetics had nothing to do with it.
    I feel you: TRUST me.

    But even with the best healthcare money can buy, genetics DO play a role.

  8. #2588
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,775
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I feel you: TRUST me.

    But even with the best healthcare money can buy, genetics DO play a role.
    It's not even about health care. It's about not having to deal with a lot of the stress that non-royals have to deal with.

  9. #2589
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,774
    Mentioned
    663 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's not even about health care. It's about not having to deal with a lot of the stress that non-royals have to deal with.
    I hear that.

    On the other hand, my maternal great grandparents made it to 94 and 96, respectively, lived through the great depression, and were around till I was 19 or 20.

    And I'd argue that such a position comes with its own set of stressors: heavy is the head that wears the crown and such.

  10. #2590
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    14,195
    Mentioned
    968 Post(s)
    I’m with @elevenism etc. Genetics play a huge role, minus stupid shit like smoking or drinking or obesity.

    QE2’s Dad, King George VI, died at age 56 from lung cancer. The guy smoked like a chimney.

    The Windsors are also known for a REALLY active lifestyle. QE2 was walking a lot and riding her horse up until a few years ago when she began experiencing mobility issues. Horseback riding in your 90s is kinda nuts, but it’s something she loved. Science has proven that regular exercise is the fountain of youth.


    Anyway … today, not surprisingly, William and Catherine became the Prince and Princess of Wales.



    And Robert Smith clearly does not care at all … lol

    Last edited by allegro; 09-10-2022 at 02:36 AM.

  11. #2591
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    14,195
    Mentioned
    968 Post(s)
    Wow. Off by one day.

  12. #2592
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Wow. Off by one day.
    Well, 10 years and one day haha.

    Also, as a Cure fan, I just gotta say he is spot on about the monarchy. Basically Britain subsidizes their Kardashians with tax dollars. I know, history and all that matters, but there's got to be a better way of celebrating history. Nothing against the royals personally either. If I had been born king I'm sure I'd have felt like I hit the lotto. It used to be a burden but now it's just ceremony they have to worry about.

    They may all be nice people but the classicism is disgusting.

  13. #2593
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,774
    Mentioned
    663 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Well, 10 years and one day haha.

    Also, as a Cure fan, I just gotta say he is spot on about the monarchy. Basically Britain subsidizes their Kardashians with tax dollars. I know, history and all that matters, but there's got to be a better way of celebrating history. Nothing against the royals personally either. If I had been born king I'm sure I'd have felt like I hit the lotto. It used to be a burden but now it's just ceremony they have to worry about.

    They may all be nice people but the classicism is disgusting.
    On the other hand, we here in the US subsidize our WARLORDS with tax dollars.
    I mean, the UK does, too. But I was just thinking of the time Noam Chomsky, during the bush admin, said that if recent us presidents were subject to the standards of Nuremberg, they'd be executed.

    At least the whole royal family bit is quaint and like, how you say...far less deadly?
    At least that.

    But the whole thing IS peculiar for sure.

  14. #2594
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    On the other hand, we here in the US subsidize our WARLORDS with tax dollars.
    I mean, the UK does, too. But I was just thinking of the time Noam Chomsky, during the bush admin, said that if recent us presidents were subject to the standards of Nuremberg, they'd be executed.

    At least the whole royal family bit is quaint and like, how you say...far less deadly?
    At least that.

    But the whole thing IS peculiar for sure.
    Well, yeah, but the whole reason the royal family is benign now is because they no longer have political power of any significance. But let's not forget their history. They come from the old world. The world in which everything was up for grabs and whoever had the best army and conquered the most land had the most resources. And well, they won. For a long time they won.

    But try going back in time and telling Anne Boleyn the royals aren't deadly. They were essentially the Lannisters from Game of Thrones and the royals that exist today are merely their genetic descendants. They are the distant offspring of a once great empire that did absolutely nothing to gain their standing in the world today. I don't begrudge them for cashing in their winning ticket. But I DO scratch my head at the folks who worship them, as if they are worthy of it.

  15. #2595
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,774
    Mentioned
    663 Post(s)
    I hear you loud and clear, @burnmotherfucker!
    You can ALSO draw a clear line from that empire to the American/Western empire, I'd say, especially considering the "special relationship."
    But I mean, everything is all fucked up, everywhere, now and previously What are you gonna do, you know?
    I fucking love Obama, but how many innocent people do you think he killed, as the drone strikingist POTUS, ever?

    When WE become archaeology and re-evolve or whatever, people are going to think we worshipped celebs as gods.
    Imagine if the first finds are from superhero movies. "They worshipped some sort of man made of iron. There was a morally ambiguous Bat God, doing eternal battle with a smiling Trickster God.

    And with the royals, well, perhaps we'd dig it more, if they were directly symbolic of OUR shit. I wouldn't know. I've barely ventured outside Texas, and lived in 2 whole places: the panhandle and dallas. So hell. Idk.

    Ok, it's getting pretty fucking drifty: I'll see myself out.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-12-2022 at 10:42 PM.

  16. #2596
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I hear you loud and clear, @burnmotherfucker!
    You can ALSO draw a clear line from that empire to the American/Western empire, I'd say, especially considering the "special relationship."
    But I mean, everything is all fucked up, everywhere, now and previously What are you gonna do, you know?
    I fucking love Obama, but how many innocent people do you think he killed, as the drone strikingist POTUS, ever?
    Of course we are tied to that history. That old money stretches back longer than most people realize. Without England there is no us. I never said we were the model country, but at least we ditched the arbitrary bloodline king bullshit.

    And I like Obama too and I think he's the best president in my lifetime but I'd stop short of saying I love the guy. Anyone with that much power anywhere at anytime in any country HAS to be a bad person deep down. Good people simply do not seek power, at least not that I've ever witnessed.

    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    When WE become archaeology and re-evolve or whatever, people are going to think we worshipped celebs as gods.
    Imagine if the first finds are from superhero movies. "They worshipped some sort of man made of iron. There was a morally ambiguous Bat God, doing eternal battle with a smiling Trickster God.
    The celebrity worship part bothers me about our country in the same way the royal worship bothers me about Britain. It's ridiculous. But I'd actually argue that Batman is a much better moral framework to gain value from than either. It's even better than religion in that the stories are not set in stone but rather archetypes that can bend and shift to explore different aspects of the human condition. I'd also argue that they will NOT think we worshipped such a thing as if it were a religion. There will be ample information for future generations to realize that these were stories that we enjoyed and played with to reflect our world. Some of it was pretty banal (Marvel, all of Marvel!) and some of it was quite deep (Sandman). But I do concede that it's sad that some our best books (you know, some of those without all the pictures) get no traction in the zeitgeist anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    And with the royals, well, perhaps we'd dig it more, if they were directly symbolic of OUR shit. I wouldn't know. I've barely ventured outside Texas, and lived in 2 whole places: the panhandle and dallas. So hell. Idk.

    Ok, it's getting pretty fucking drifty: I'll see myself out.
    I, for one, would almost certainly like it LESS. I'm a whole lot more annoyed that I have to see a Kardashian news story every day I open my feed to see if anyone got nuked overnight. If I lived in England and it was the royals instead everyday I'd feel the same way about them.

    But my apologies, I didn't mean to derail the thread in the wake of Elizabeth's death. I'm sure she was a nice lady and all.

  17. #2597
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,760
    Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    John-Luc Goddard

  18. #2598
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    7,123
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)


    I mean damn.

  19. #2599
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,774
    Mentioned
    663 Post(s)
    Philly rapper PNB Rock, killed at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, at 30.

    His girlfriend took a picture of her plate and posted it to Instagram, including location.

    And BEFORE THE POOR BASTARD HAD FINISHED HIS CHICKEN AND WAFFLES, some grim fucker came in, robbed him, and went ahead and murdered him, too.

  20. #2600
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,511
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    no surprise there. a string of those types of murders (people posting their location on social media) exist.

    a friend in the hood told me: "always post the pictures of you out somewhere like 2 or 3 days after it actually occurs. you don't want no people pulling up on you"

    good advice.

    even better advice: stay the eff off social media (sorry, that's the middle school teacher in me coming out who deals with cyber bullying issues at my school)

  21. #2601
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    8,774
    Mentioned
    663 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    no surprise there. a string of those types of murders (people posting their location on social media) exist.

    a friend in the hood told me: "always post the pictures of you out somewhere like 2 or 3 days after it actually occurs. you don't want no people pulling up on you"

    good advice.

    even better advice: stay the eff off social media (sorry, that's the middle school teacher in me coming out who deals with cyber bullying issues at my school)
    It's just, yeah...when you put it that way, it's SO awful.

    Pop Smoke spent a lot of money on like $1000 AMIRI jeans, which helped to popularize the brand.
    So, they sent him some free stuff when he was at an Air BNB.

    That made him happy, so he posted a pic on Instagram, including the bags of jeans and such, and a card from the company., that, unfortunately, revealed his EXTREMELY current, temporary location.

    Shortly thereafter, he was murdered by 3 or 4 teenagers, because, you know...Special Pants.

  22. #2602
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    7,123
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

  23. #2603
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,996
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

  24. #2604
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    7,123
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

  25. #2605
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,888
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)


    I was merely a follower on Twitter, both DPRK and his personal account...terribly funny guy who hadn't been feeling well for a long time. I don't even think I ever directly interacted with him on Twitter yet I have a profound sense of sadness. The internet is good sometimes.

    https://popehat.substack.com/p/a-farewell-to-a-friend

  26. #2606
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    5,019
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    ::spits on grave::

    He ignored rapes while prez at Baylor b/c football. Disgusting person his entire life. Good riddance.

  27. #2607
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    7,123
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

  28. #2608
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Highland Park, IL
    Posts
    14,195
    Mentioned
    968 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

    Oh no.

    Her Wolf Hall trilogy is a masterpiece.

    Godspeed, Dame Hilary.

  29. #2609
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,406
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Louise Fletcher has died. She was 88.

    https://variety.com/2022/film/news/l...st-1235382490/

    A true legend and a great lady. RIP.

  30. #2610
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,945
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    RIP Louise.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions