Page 86 of 105 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 3142

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Dead Souls

David McKee creator or Mr Benn and Elmer (died aged 87)
    probably only 70’s and 80’s UK kids will know the amazing cartoon series he made

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-61024415

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by [parasite]; 04-07-2022 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    RIP Chris Bailey, leader of legendary Aussie punk band The Saints. Some of Iggy's "kids".

Last edited by chuckrh; 04-11-2022 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    From Nick Cave's Red Hand Files:
    One week ago today, I was standing in front of a photo on display in the Stranger Than Kindness - The Nick Cave Exhibition in Montreal. It is an extraordinary photo that came to light a few years ago — it shows the singer, Chris Bailey, of the Brisbane band, the Saints, sitting collapsed on stage in a small club in Melbourne, watched by a very young and unformed Nick Cave. In the photo Chris is already committed to his life as perhaps the greatest and most anarchic rock ‘n’ roll singer Australia would ever produce. Conversely, I am in that stonewashed and uncertain state between failing art school and, well, I am not quite sure what. You can almost see the thought bubble forming above my head as an alternate plan presents itself.
    In the late seventies, the Saints came down from Brisbane and tore their way through Sydney and Melbourne with their famously anarchic shows. It is impossible to exaggerate the resulting radical galvanising effect on the Melbourne scene – these legendary performances changed the lives of so many people, myself included.
    So, it is with immense sadness that we learn of Chris Bailey’s death. Too many great singers have died recently and, once again, I don’t have the words that will in any way adequately measure the extent of our collective loss. I can only simply repeat, for the record, that, in my opinion, the Saints were Australia’s greatest band, and that Chris Bailey was my favourite singer.
    Chris and I got to know each other well and went on to do a bunch of things together over the years, but it is this photo that I will treasure – a moment of realisation and divergence, as a drunk singer sits slumped on a stage floor, his very presence in that moment approximating some kind of moral purity or essential truth, and a young man watching transfixed, feeling his own best laid plans fall away as the thought bubble above his head fills with its sudden and outrageous revelation, ‘This is what I want to do and this is who I want to be.’
    With enormous gratitude to Chris Bailey and may he rest in peace.
    Love, Nick

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last edited by october_midnight; 04-12-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    ^ Oh, fuck!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Yeah, that sucks about Gilbert.

This is just gonna keep speeding up, as these icons get closer to their 70s.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Gottfried died from ventricular tachycardia, complicated by type II myotonic dystrophy, on April 12, 2022, at the age of 67.[35][2]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I spent so much time learning how to imitate his voice after seeing Aladdin in theatres as a kid because I just loved how it sounded so much.

Truly one of the most iconic voices of all time, harsh, grating or whatever you wanna call it.

This is so awful.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    From Dr. Katz.

Gilbert Gottfried is one of the comedians.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    "You fool!"

great stuff.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    It hurt to hear DJ Mister Cee announce this one on Rock the Bells Monday afternoon, but:

DJ Kay Slay at 55 after a 4 month battle with Covid.

He was probably best known for his long running Hot 97 gig, but he also had a highly influential and prolific mixtape series and four star studded LPs (which included Nas, Jay Z, Eminem, Fifty Cent and G Unit, Busta Rhymes and Flipmode, Ghostface, Raekwon, Kanye, Clark Kent, 8Ball and MJG, Mobb Deep, Fat Joe, Papoose, etc,)
    AND, was an old school graffiti artist.

That last bit was how I PERSONALLY first found out about him, through street art books. He was also in a couple of graffiti docs, I think.
    Edit: he was in fucking Style Wars in EIGHTY THREE, which was one of the very first graffiti/hip-hop culture films ever made, and utterly legendary to taggers around the world...at least it was in my day

He WAS hip-hop. He was one of THOSE guys.
    This is a big loss to the graffiti and hip hop world, and 55 is WAY too young.

Rest In Power.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-19-2022 at 05:53 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sad. Canadian hockey legend.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    It hurt to hear DJ Mister Cee announce this one on Rock the Bells Monday afternoon, but:

DJ Kay Slay at 55 after a 4 month battle with Covid.

He was probably best known for his long running Hot 97 gig, but he also had a highly influential and prolific mixtape series and four star studded LPs (which included Nas, Jay Z, Eminem, Fifty Cent and G Unit, Busta Rhymes and Flipmode, Ghostface, Raekwon, Kanye, Clark Kent, 8Ball and MJG, Mobb Deep, Fat Joe, Papoose, etc,)
    AND, was an old school graffiti artist.

That last bit was how I PERSONALLY first found out about him, through street art books. He was also in a couple of graffiti docs, I think.
    Edit: he was in fucking Style Wars in EIGHTY THREE, which was one of the very first graffiti/hip-hop culture films ever made, and utterly legendary to taggers around the world...at least it was in my day

He WAS hip-hop. He was one of THOSE guys.
    This is a big loss to the graffiti and hip hop world, and 55 is WAY too young.

Rest In Power.
    Very nice things to say. I always like Kay. We weren't close or worked together much, but we were cool. He HATED my former coworker who had a similar role to mine, b/c he did him dirty somehow. Never found out exactly how. While a mainstay at Hot 97 forever, mgmt has systematically neutered his on-air role over the past decade, and we had him down to once a week for an hour. Damn shame & never sat right with me.

I thought he was doing better since he had gotten out of the hospital at one point in January I believe, but clearly not.

They are having a service for him Sunday at the Apollo. I am planning on paying my respects but a pipe burst behind my 2nd floor shower tonight & rained water down through the ceiling and some light fixtures, so that may curtail my plans this weekend.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @bobbie solo i meant to PM you my condolences; i figured he was at least an acquaintance.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Sorry @bobbie solo
    I grew up listening to Hot 97...in fact, I remember as a kid in the early 90's when it played electronic dance/rave music.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Sorry @bobbie solo
    I grew up listening to Hot 97...in fact, I remember as a kid in the early 90's when it played electronic dance/rave music.
    Appreciate it but I am fine. We weren't close. It's just sad.

The best era of Hot 97 was when they were slowly transitioning into all hip hop, but weren't there yet. So you'd get classic 90's era boom bap rap during the day, and we'd still be bumping house at night and on weekends during the live mixes. Glenn Friscia was transcendent back then.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Gabe Serbian, drummer for ‘The Locust’ died. So young, just brutal.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

RIP George Pérez. Such an important and influential comic book artist and writer. He's been very sick for a while, so this doesn't come as a huge surprise, but still sucks. Fuck cancer.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Kenneth Welsh who played as Windom Earle in Twin Peaks passed away at 80 years of age on May 5th, 2022

https://m.imdb.com/news/ni63620546?ref_=m_nm_nwr1

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    kenneth welsh who played as windom earle in twin peaks passed away at 80 years of age on may 5th, 2022

https://m.imdb.com/news/ni63620546?ref_=m_nm_nwr1

sent from my moto e (4) using tapatalk
    rip

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    "First Lady of Death Row," Jewell, at 53.

She was the female vocalist who was all over Snoop's Doggystyle, Dre's The Chronic, and Pac's All Eyez On Me, along with, I THINK, Creepin on a Come Up by Bone Thugs, and a bunch of other stuff.

Basically, if you were watching MTV or listening to rap radio in the early nineties, you know her voice but probably not her name.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Dead Souls

Nick Cave’s other son has died, aged 31

https://www.nme.com/news/music/nick-...ged-31-3221399

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    So young

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [parasite] View Post
    nick cave’s other son has died, aged 31

https://www.nme.com/news/music/nick-...ged-31-3221399

sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
    rip

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    "First Lady of Death Row," Jewell, at 53.

She was the female vocalist who was all over Snoop's Doggystyle, Dre's The Chronic, and Pac's All Eyez On Me, along with, I THINK, Creepin on a Come Up by Bone Thugs, and a bunch of other stuff.

Basically, if you were watching MTV or listening to rap radio in the early nineties, you know her voice but probably not her name.
    RIP, too young

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I thought like... the other Jewel was dead.