Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 600 of 2150

Thread: Dead Souls

  1. #571
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Just sharing, and obviously he didn't die of natural causes due to age. TMZ broke the story today to so they may have some inside info. People of his age and resources don't die from the flu so yeah, there's definitely going to speculation of what happened with his health recently.

  2. #572
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,135
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Losing Prince breaks my heart. The icons i grew up with are leaving, and no one will ever take their places.

    Robert plant is 67, jimmy page is 72, stephen king is 68, and these guys all partied their collective ass off. I'm realizing that it's going to be harder and harder to get hit with these things the older we get, as they are inevitable.

  3. #573
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,243
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    Yeah, but this dude is MY AGE. He was way too fucking young to die. My friends my age are all texting me, going "WHAT THE FUCK???" We are only a few years younger than him; no way, dude, we aren't supposed to die of the fucking flu in our 50s. So this epilepsy / flu combo sounds more likely.

  4. #574
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,135
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Yeah, but this dude is MY AGE. He was way too fucking young to die. My friends my age are all texting me, going "WHAT THE FUCK???" We are only a few years younger than him; no way, dude, we aren't supposed to die of the fucking flu in our 50s. So this epilepsy / flu combo sounds more likely.
    Well, yes, that too.
    It's fucking awful. He's younger than my mother for fuck's sake.

  5. #575
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've heard some things from people I know could know, but he deserves his privacy unless he directed a spokesperson to make an announcement.

  6. #576
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,243
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    I've heard some things from people I know could know, but he deserves his privacy unless he directed a spokesperson to make an announcement.
    An autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow.

    I'm watching all this coverage on MSNBC for hours and crying, this is killing me.

    Yet, I'm laughing about the time my groupie Prince fan stepsister accidentally ended up with Prince in an elevator in around 1981 and was shocked at how short he was, hahahahaha.

    * sobs *
    Last edited by allegro; 04-21-2016 at 09:27 PM.

  7. #577
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    ...............
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:02 PM.

  8. #578
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    welp, this got the waterworks going http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2610374

  9. #579
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    bruce, robert pollard, david byrne, stevie wonder, kate bush, laurie anderson

    i don't even want these people to fly on the same plane at this point

  10. #580
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,399
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    bruce, robert pollard, david byrne, stevie wonder, kate bush, laurie anderson

    i don't even want these people to fly on the same plane at this point
    Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Stevie Nicks -- there's a long list of people that need to be permanently accompanied by court-appointed doctors and given traffic escorts and security details at all times.

  11. #581
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    795
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    .............
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:02 PM.

  12. #582
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    welp, this got the waterworks going http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2610374
    Not that I'm doubting Prince did it, but he should keep his mouth closed. Anything for this POS to get press coverage as usual.

  13. #583
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    What the McFuck? I last checked this thread yesterday and read that Chyna had died. When I came back in and saw a post about possible HIV I thought it was continued discussion about her. Prince, wtf.

  14. #584
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,243
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    I just remembered that Vanity (Denise Matthews, Prince's ex-girlfriend and protégé) died in February at age 57.

  15. #585
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Downtown Minneapolis is a huge party right now. People were leaving flowers outside of First Ave. this afternoon. Then it was announced that First Ave. got permission from the city to host an all-night dance party after Corey Taylor's concert there wrapped up. It turned into a massive block party with the streets around First Ave. blocked off.

    People gathered at Paisley Park in Chanhassen to pay their respects. And the house that served as his family home in Purple Rain has a purple balloon out front.

    The I-35W bridge is lit up in purple. So is the Lowry Ave. Bridge. The top of the Target building is purple along with the video board and media boards at Target Field. This is all just in Minneapolis. Worldwide, the Empire State Building, Eiffel Tower, and Niagara Falls are among the gloabal landmarks that are glowing purple tonight.

    Tomorrow is Purple for Prince Day. Everyone is being encouraged to wear purple.

  16. #586
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "According to an old profile from Notorious magazine, during a concert in Montreal, Prince, a giant NBA fan, watched a Chicago Bulls playoff game on a TV positioned at the side of the stage, and would amble over to watch while he played his guitar solos. He also apparently tasked a wardrobe girl with holding up the score on cue cards for him to read."

  17. #587
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Can we create a separate for all things relating to Prince like we did for Bowie?

  18. #588
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,243
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 04-22-2016 at 12:01 AM.

  19. #589
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,506
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I just got home after running around with friends for a while, and spent most of the night around first ave. So fucking cool and sad and beautiful.

    We were gonna go over to Paisley Park but we heard it was all blocked off over there, so we just stayed downtown. Kinda wish we would have made it over there though. I heard at one point there was a rainbow over Paisley Park and everyone was like "Oh my god, it's Prince!!" lol

    We drove through Uptown blasting "Uptown" out the windows. We went driving over the purple 35W while the "The Cross" was blasting at max volume. First Ave was pretty nuts. We saw Dem Atlas doing a cover of Let's Go Crazy. I saw this dude singing along to Conditions of the Heart with earplugs in and I swear that dude had the best voice ever, damn near broke my heart. I would have given anything to stay out there all night, but I have to work tomorrow and I have appointments and shit so I can't really call in sick. Supposedly they're gonna go till dawn.

    It's a sad day for Minneapolis because, when it comes to pop culture, we really don't have much going for us. We've had some indie shit over the years, like The Replacements, Low, Atmosphere, etc, but nothing even remotely on Prince's god-like level. He was our only legend, really. It's not like in New York or LA, where they've had tons of superstars over the years. Prince was all we had, and now it feels like this place will never be same.

  20. #590
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    6,575
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I just got home after running around with friends for a while, and spent most of the night around first ave. So fucking cool and sad and beautiful.

    We were gonna go over to Paisley Park but we heard it was all blocked off over there, so we just stayed downtown. Kinda wish we would have made it over there though. I heard at one point there was a rainbow over Paisley Park and everyone was like "Oh my god, it's Prince!!" lol

    We drove through Uptown blasting "Uptown" out the windows. We went driving over the purple 35W while the "The Cross" was blasting at max volume. First Ave was pretty nuts. We saw Dem Atlas doing a cover of Let's Go Crazy. I saw this dude singing along to Conditions of the Heart with earplugs in and I swear that dude had the best voice ever, damn near broke my heart. I would have given anything to stay out there all night, but I have to work tomorrow and I have appointments and shit so I can't really call in sick. Supposedly they're gonna go till dawn.

    It's a sad day for Minneapolis because, when it comes to pop culture, we really don't have much going for us. We've had some indie shit over the years, like The Replacements, Low, Atmosphere, etc, but nothing even remotely on Prince's god-like level. He was our only legend, really. It's not like in New York or LA, where they've had tons of superstars over the years. Prince was all we had, and now it feels like this place will never be same.
    What about Bob Dylan since he is a Minnesotan?

  21. #591
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,506
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    What about Bob Dylan since he is a Minnesotan?
    Nah, it's just not the same. Dylan didn't give a shit about this place. He got out of here as soon as he could and never looked back, except for that time when he randomly decided to record half of Blood on the Tracks here. He mostly made his name out in New York. To me, it's always felt like a stretch to try and claim Dylan as "one of us."

    Prince was totally different. This was his home. He built his whole Paisley Park empire here. A huge amount of the musicians and engineers he worked with over the years were local people. Throw a rock in this town and you're guaranteed to hit some former Prince collaborator, just because he had a tendency to burn through people so fast. Seems like everyone has a Prince story. To be honest, the stories are usually kinda negative, just because Prince was a bit of a fascist when it came to the people who worked for him. I've heard so many crazy stories about the shit that happens in Paisley Park. The dude definitely had mental issues.

    But still, in spite of his somewhat infamous reputation around here, I think most people were quite proud to have him. I know I was. He was one of the only awesome things we had in this dreary city.

  22. #592
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Not that I'm doubting Prince did it, but he should keep his mouth closed. Anything for this POS to get press coverage as usual.
    what an odd response

  23. #593
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    what an odd response
    it was towards Sharpton, not Prince. If you and Sarah think Al is some kind of modern day MLK have at it. It's obvious the useless asshole name dropped Prince just to get himself some free pub over multiple unfortunate circumstances.

  24. #594
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    7,135
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    i know this might sound strange, but some of you who are around my age my have had this same experience.
    My first (and probably most played) Prince album was the 1989 Batman album. I was 9 and that movie was the coolest fucking thing i had ever seen. I just could not believe it. And of course, the soundtrack was a must have.

    I thought of these lyrics from that album when i heard the news:

    I'm drowning without you here, my dear
    When I am lost and feeling alone
    I just look to heaven

    I find my comfort there
    God only knows where you are to night

    "God only knows where you are to night"
    "Maybe time will tell me"
    "'Till then I'll close my eyes and say a prayer for you"
    -The Arms of Orion.

    And remember how bad ass this was?
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-22-2016 at 02:08 AM.

  25. #595
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    it was towards Sharpton, not Prince. If you and Sarah think Al is some kind of modern day MLK have at it. It's obvious the useless asshole name dropped Prince just to get himself some free pub over multiple unfortunate circumstances.
    i understood to whom it was directed. what's odd is not only how angry you seem about something fairly innocuous, but also how tacky it is to use this thread to shoehorn your blowhard political opinions and subsequent strawman nonsense.

  26. #596
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,243
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    He was our only legend, really. It's not like in New York or LA, where they've had tons of superstars over the years. Prince was all we had, and now it feels like this place will never be same.
    I remember reading a Prince quote that really stuck with me about his mostly staying in the Minneapolis area; I can't find the direct quote but Prince said it gets so cold there, it keeps the bad people out.

    I know he eventually rented a house in LA, too, but his HQ and home was always Minneapolis and he most certainly will always be associated with that city.

    I remember when he had his "3121" release party in his house in L.A. and TR was there and pics were posted and we were all a combo of "TR sure looks uncomfortable at that shit" and "holy shit, Prince's LA pad is awesome." (Ends up the landlord was Carlos Boozer who sued him.)


    @elevenism , for the longest time, the Batman ride at Six Flags Great America just north of Chicago played Prince's Batman theme throughout the Gotham City area where you waited in line to board, definitely the most fun line of any amusement park ride. Not sure if it's still there, I think they have since modified it.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-22-2016 at 06:40 PM.

  27. #597
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13,243
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    it was towards Sharpton, not Prince. If you and Sarah think Al is some kind of modern day MLK have at it. It's obvious the useless asshole name dropped Prince just to get himself some free pub over multiple unfortunate circumstances.
    Dude, Prince had Al Sharpton's phone number and called him. Rev Sharpton has been stressing that Prince cared about people and causes other than himself, that Prince was concerned about civil rights etc, showing a side of Prince that most did not know existed but is really nice to know. I don't see this as reflecting negatively against Sharpton.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-22-2016 at 05:55 AM.

  28. #598
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,942
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

  29. #599
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,506
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I remember reading a Prince quote that really stuck with me about his mostly staying in the Minneapolis area; I can't find the direct quote but Prince said it gets so cold there, it keeps the bad people out.
    lol, if only that were true!

    I've often wondered why he kept Minneapolis as his home when he could have settled down in any other place that would have been significantly more glamorous and exciting. I'm sure a huge part of it was just the fact that he was raised here. But I also wonder if he liked having a city all to himself. In LA, he'd have to share it with all the other legends. Minneapolis was his.

  30. #600
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,977
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    Then it was announced that First Ave. got permission from the city to host an all-night dance party after Corey Taylor's concert there wrapped up.
    Funny enough, I saw this earlier this morning. It's actually quite good.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions