Page 54 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 3142

Thread: Dead Souls

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    That one feels like a punch in the gut. Life's What You Make It got me through a lot of rough patches in my life.

RIP Mark. Thank you for everything. Your voice and your music touch people in ways you never knew.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He was such a unique musician and big part of my musical life. The only thread I've ever started on this board is about him. RIP Mark

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Peter Tork and The Monkees were awesome. R.I.P.
    this hurts.

When i was a kid, as in single digits, i convinced myself that the Monkees was a reality show.
    My parents explained to me that this wasn't the case.
    THEN, i decided that all of their adventures HAD actually happened, but they couldn't be there to film it all, so the boys reenacted actual episodes from their lives for the show.
    THEN, my pops broke the news to me about the musical situation, which, as a young musician, utterly fascinated me, especially Mike and Peter's dissatisfaction with the whole thing.
    later, 12 or 13 year old, early 90s, grass smoking elevenism was utterly blown away by Head and its soundtrack.

I didn't keep up, though: by 92, it was all about NIN, Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Primus and...you get the idea.

I STILL show Head to people from time to time. I still love a SHITLOAD of their songs, even the ones they didn't write. also, you know what's funny? no one seems to give a SHIT who's writing the songs of pop stars these days, you know? I think the Monkees are part of that. Furthermore, i think their influence can be seen in groups like One Direction and N'Sync and all of their ilk, not to mention, hell, Oasis for instance.
    legend has it that they outsold the Beatles at one point. i think it's been debunked, but continues to be repeated by reputable news sources, so who knows.

i adore the music. i love their story. i love SO many things about them.
    Now that i think about it, they were the first rock group i was OBSESSED with, and it all happened when they started showing the old episodes on Nickelodeon 86 or so.
    They were UTTERLY FUCKING SEMINAL to my idea of what "rock" should be. As a little kid, they were "my beatles/stones."

And Peter was always my favorite.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Mark Hollis dying has left me feeling hollow. Been looking at my phone for an hour, trying to process how I feel. I'm surprised we even found out, considering how private he was.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    @elevenism
    The Monkees should have been inducted into the Rock N' Roll HOF years ago. It's a shame that Davy and Peter will miss out if they ever are inducted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    RIP Andy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8806456.html

Keith Flint from The Prodigy found dead this morning

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    im so shocked, ...The Prodigy made some of the most exhilarating music of all time, one of my favourite groups ever, one cannot physically stand still listening to Music for the Jilted Generation or Fat of the Land, one of the biggest bands of the 1990s, are they over???. they cant continue without him surely?? 49 so young urgh.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    And it is once again suicide. Some serious psychological stuff is going on around the 40-50 age range.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    im so shocked, ...The Prodigy made some of the most exhilarating music of all time, one of my favourite groups ever, one cannot physically stand still listening to Music for the Jilted Generation or Fat of the Land, one of the biggest bands of the 1990s, are they over???. they cant continue without him surely?? 49 so young urgh.
    they could... Prodigy really is Liam Howlett, but still...

time to blast some Prodigy... fucking sad news

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm directing everyone over to The Prodigy thread mostly because folks are already sharing their favorite videos of Keith - https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...56-The-Prodigy

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Holy shittttttt

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    What the fuck is going on today. I woke up to the news of Keith's death and now fucking Luke Perry. Jesus Christ...
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 03-04-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Brutal day. I feel gutted.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just saw the news about Luke Perry wtff!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    they could... Prodigy really is Liam Howlett, but still...

time to blast some Prodigy... fucking sad news
    well, dude, yes, in a way. I get it. I've been a fan since 93ish, and I didn't necessarily like the "keithy as frontman" change.
    But he's been inexorably tied to the identity of The Prodigy ever since, and has done vocals for 22 years. So, dude, idk. I honestly doubt Liam will continue as The Prodigy. I expect future releases to be "Liam Howlett" or " Liam Howlett featuring Maxim Reality" or something.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    well, dude, yes, in a way. I get it. I've been a fan since 93ish, and I didn't necessarily like the "keithy as frontman" change.
    But he's been inexorably tied to the identity of The Prodigy ever since, and has done vocals for 22 years. So, dude, idk. I honestly doubt Liam will continue as The Prodigy. I expect future releases to be "Liam Howlett" or " Liam Howlett featuring Maxim Reality" or something.
    If he chooses to go in that direction, I'd completely respect the decision, but I would also say it's perfectly reasonable to continue forward as The Prodigy. There's a particular sound to their music that's different in style and tone to the solo music Liam Howlett's put out. If the music is "in the style of" Prodigy releases, call it Prodigy. Ultimately it's up to him of course. Probably the last thing on his mind right now.

EDIT... and in hindsight, I probably should have posted this response in the Prodigy thread. My bad.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-05-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 03-18-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    SHIT! Larry Cohen died today! One of my favorite filmmakers! https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/larry-cohen-dead-alive-hell-up-harlem-writer-director-was-77-1185759

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/4AD_Official/sta...91122741776385
    Scott Walker ( THE SINGER) has passed away. I'm at work, crushed by this news. First Mark Hollis and now Scott Walker?
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 03-25-2019 at 03:57 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Fuck. Larry Cohen AND Scott Walker???

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I made the mistake of listening to Farmer In The City while I was finishing up at work. I almost wept. It was beautiful under the night sky, but so damn sad.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    All of us Detroit and Cleveland (and Parma and Hamtramck) kids are mourning the death of The Ghoul (Ron Sweed), dead at 70.

“He was the Hunter S. Thompson of trash,” said Jerry Vile, the Detroit artist, media maker and creator of The Dirty Show. “You didn’t have to be an adult to know he wasn’t playing by the rules. He was everybody’s introduction to anarchy. He influenced a lot of people. He was like the proto-punk. It was true revolution for the hell of it. Blowing up stuff with fireworks — we weren’t supposed to do that. But here he was, doing it on the TV.”

Sweed like to show old horror films. Really old. Often really bad ones.

"Those movies he shows have been around so long that anyone who hasn't seen them by the time they get passed on to The Ghoul's show must've had the TV set off for 10 years," one reader complained to Bettelou Peterson, the Free Press TV writer. The Ghoul, of course, mocked those films as part of his act.
    He was the greatest. RIP, Ghoul. We'll never forget you.

Last edited by allegro; 05-17-2019 at 01:20 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    RIP Shawn Smith, most famously of the band Brad. He also played a big part on "Black Love" by Afghan Whigs, 1 of my all time favorite records. He died on April 5 of diabetes complications at age 53. April 5 is getting weird for Seattle musicians. Kurt, Layne & now Shawn all died on that day. He will be missed.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Lorraine Warren , paranormal investigator. She was 92.

RIP Lorraine.