96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    A pretty scathing review, but some spot-on points:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I don't think I'll ever bother with Discovery.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I don't think I'll ever bother with Discovery.
    I found it to be a real mixed bag. There are some pretty good stories and a great cast. Some real problems with the writing, however. Check out the video in my last post, does a great job of summing up the problems.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I don't think we need those two chucklefucks to tell us what was and wasn't good about the writing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I don't think we need those two chucklefucks to tell us what was and wasn't good about the writing.
    I think they were pretty spot-on with a lot of things, namely that the writers seemed to make it up as they went along and how it was very melodramatic, as well as pointing out some other plot holes/inconsistencies.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    They better not kill off that dog.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy fucking shit.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

I thought he said he was too old to play that role again...

GIVE IT TO ME RIGHT NOW!!!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Wow, that looks fantastic. Glad to see the return of 7 of 9.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-20-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Question:

Do you miss the old style where each episode was a story which ended at the end of the episode? You can turn on the TV and start watching any episode and enjoy it.

With these new series it's more structured like a soap opera or Game of Thrones, each episode is a one time watch and must be watched in chronological order.

For example ST: DSC Season 2 was all about chasing the red bursts and the angel, there were not many other stories. IT was an amazing season, don't get me wrong and each ep was unique.

Now think about each opening on ST:TNG (Captains log stardate xxxxxx we've rendezvoused with a klingon..... we are investigating a series of strange radio signals ... we are assisting a plant with .... or etc...

I miss that. I miss how each episode was a puzzle. Like tinman, the game, cause and effect, Q, Darmok, the void ... the list goes onnnnnnnn.

I'm not super eager about Picard season 1 being all about this girl and Picard helping her while he struggles to find his place etc....

I want more short stories, isn't that the essence of Star Trek?
    Last edited by snaapz; 07-22-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    Question:

Do you miss the old style where each episode was a story which ended at the end of the episode? You can turn on the TV and start watching any episode and enjoy it.

With these new series it's more structured like a soap opera or Game of Thrones, each episode is a one time watch and must be watched in chronological order.

For example ST: DSC Season 2 was all about chasing the red bursts and the angel, there were not many other stories. IT was an amazing season, don't get me wrong and each ep was unique.

Now think about each opening on ST:TNG (Captains log stardate xxxxxx we've rendezvoused with a klingon..... we are investigating a series of strange radio signals ... we are assisting a plant with .... or etc...

I miss that. I miss how each episode was a puzzle. Like tinman, the game, cause and effect, Q, Darmok, the void ... the list goes onnnnnnnn.

I'm not super eager about Picard season 1 being all about this girl and Picard helping her while he struggles to find his place etc....

I didn't mind mind the structure of Discovery (one overarching narrative, with individual stories woven in), which was used in DS9 and season 3 of Enterprise (The Xindi arc). What I didn't like is how they seemed to make it up as they went along and I really disliked all the forced melodrama.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Question:

Do you miss the old style where each episode was a story which ended at the end of the episode?
    Yes.

The Orville has done well in capturing that early to mid 90s TNG type of feel. Sadly, Star Trek is in a weird place these days. CBS, Paramount, and the ST fans all want ST to be a thing again, but it feels like they’re at odds on just what it is that ST should be. The result is… (1) The already defunct Abramsverse. (2) Discovery, another retcon series which in IMDb and RT is consistently getting the lowest audience/user reviews of any ST series. (3) And generally disgruntled fans.

Oh, the 90s seem soooo long ago.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I shared this on facebook at some point and meant to drop it in here as well.

Real Lawyer Reacts to Star Trek TNG Measure of a Man (Picard Defends Data’s Humanity) // LegalEagle

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    @3:45, hillarious.

Out next month on Blu-ray:
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-23-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^Nice watched the whole thing! I've heard that PS was not accepting (or used to) of the "unprofessional" behavior when he first started.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Went to the theater tonight to see the documentary, “WHAT WE LEFT BEHIND looking back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.” It was enjoyable. The DS9 cast still looks great, and Ira did great with the interviews. Andrew Robinson steals the show. Sad to see Terry Farrell still has hard feelings about the nature of her departure from the show, but nice to see her with the cast and talking about it. Armin Shimerman, Casey Biggs, Jeffery Combs, and Max Grodenchik do a musical number together that was more than worth the price of admission.
    Just watched the blu-ray--thought it was rather good. The pitch for the imaginary Season 8 looked awesome and made me wish it were actually happening.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It would be hilarious if Harry Kim showed up in Picard and was still an ensign.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodoommonkey View Post
    It would be hilarious if Harry Kim showed up in Picard and was still an ensign.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Jason Isaacs would like to return as Prime Lorca:
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...NrPlU9wnDvATlk

Loved Isaacs as Lorca and would love for him to return, but I'm not sure how it works with Discovery now 900 years into the future.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    CBS and Viacom are back together, wonder what that could mean for Trek?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I have zero faith that Picard will be good after discovering that Akiva Goldsman (Batman & Robin) and Alex Kurtzman (The Mummy 2017) are producing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I have zero faith that Picard will be good after discovering that Akiva Goldsman (Batman & Robin) and Alex Kurtzman (The Mummy 2017) are producing.
    My biggest fear, always, is that ST will turn into a series of rogue people/superheros in drab clothing and are not members of Starfleet who go around saving the world and solving non scientific mysteries.

Endless chases and superhero fight scenes do not belong in ST.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    My biggest fear, always, is that ST will turn into a series of rogue people/superheros in drab clothing and are not members of Starfleet who go around saving the world and solving non scientific mysteries.

Endless chases and superhero fight scenes do not belong in ST.
    The current team working on Star Trek doesn't seem to understand what made it interesting or unique in the first place. It's more Star Wars than Trek at this point. Unsubtle, bombastic, shallow, surface-level sensationalist crap. Your superhero analogy is apt.

It really doesn't help that they also cannot write a consistent story (or even a good script; "Power of math" my arse). Discovery Season 2 was a tangled knot of plotholes, retcons, unresolved narratives, and pointless conclusions. An embarrassing, nonsensical mess.

I love Patrick Stewart. My expectations are absurdly high for Picard but my gut tells me it's going to be bad.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Aron Eisenberg, R.I.P.
    https://www.startrek.com/news/aron-e...dLef3exNTKe2FE

I just saw that DS9 documentary, seemed like a cool guy. Nog was a great character too, and I loved seeing the evolution of the character.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Discovery season 3 promo:

New Picard promo:

Both look good. The new Discovery short "Q and A" was a lot of fun.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I very much enjoyed the latest short "The Trouble With Edward," a Tribble origin story. Always loved H. Jon Benjamin and he was great in this.