Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - Series and Films

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This thread prompted me to rewatch Nemesis. Tom Hardy is so fucking hot in this movie.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    This thread prompted me to rewatch Nemesis. Tom Hardy is so fucking hot in this movie.
    Too bad that movie wasn't very good. Sad to see TNG go out on that note. Last good Trek movie was First Contact, IMHO.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    It also had an unrecognizable Ron Perlman. Decent space battle but a shit film. The dune buggy chase at the beginning was ridiculous.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It was still better than Attack of the Clones.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The awful writing and poor use of cast ensured that The Next Gen movies never found their footing. Watch these four films in a row and it’s clear that Paramount was meandering with no clear vision for the franchise. Sure First Contact was the ‘best’ of the four, but even it doesn’t stack up all that well with the best of what the TV series had to offer.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    The awful writing and poor use of cast ensured that The Next Gen movies never found their footing. Watch these four films in a row and it’s clear that Paramount was meandering with no clear vision for the franchise. Sure First Contact was the ‘best’ of the four, but even it doesn’t stack up all that well with the best of what the TV series had to offer.
    I really liked Generations and First Contact. Insurrection was decent--but the story was lacking. It would have been a decent episode of TNG, but for a movie it was flat. Compared to what DS9 was doing at the same time, with the Dominion War, Insurrection was a letdown. Nemesis just plain sucked. It had a decent story and had potential, but it fell flat.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Too bad that movie wasn't very good.
    On a ST movie scale of 1 - 10, with Final Frontier being 1 and Khan being 10, I'd give it a 5.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 07-02-2015 at 03:05 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    A little anecdote: I was very young when I started watching ST:OS, perhaps 6 or 7 years old. The first time I saw The Savage Curtain episode, the sitting figure of Abraham Lincoln that appears on the viewscreen scared me so much I had nightmares. And for years, pictures of Abraham Lincoln terrified me.

Of course, eventually, I learned about him and he's not scary anymore.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Got the Blu-ray upgrade for TNG and boy is it an improvement. The original DVD series looked like shit--blury, faded. The Blu-ray looks just awesome, much clearer, sharper. Not crazy about the black bars though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Got the Blu-ray upgrade for TNG and boy is it an improvement. The original DVD series looked like shit--blury, faded. The Blu-ray looks just awesome, much clearer, sharper. Not crazy about the black bars though.
    Yeah I got them (seasons 1-5, I posted a photo on page 1) and they are better than the DVDs ever hoped to be. I don't even mind the graphics upgrades here and there.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just watched "The Survivors" from season 3. Damn, what an incredible episode, and I'm simply blown away by how amazing it looks in blu-ray.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So you need to subscribe to a new station for this?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    So you need to subscribe to a new station for this?
    Yeah it seems they want to host the episodes on their Netflix-like service for streaming content.

On the plus side (for me at least) i did read in the article that it'll still come to TV and other platforms for international markets.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I'm not really looking forward to seeing the actual film but I'm so glad the trailer is something different from the usual blockbuster trailers

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I'm not really looking forward to seeing the actual film but I'm so glad the trailer is something different from the usual blockbuster trailers
    Looks like a throwaway TNG episode, with worse hairstyles.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    phew, I absolutely did not expect something like this. They seem to have taken the comedy tour again and it looks like a fun action flick - mission impossible in space maybe. Not really looking forward to this and the creature design is also quite mediocre but could be a nice rent in half a year.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    That trailer has completely turned me off of this movie sadly.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The 50 year anniversary Star Trek movie… introduced with a Beastie Boys jam. Clown turds, I say!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I was never really a Star Trek fan, always found them to be cheesy. But I did enjoy the previous two Abrams movies. Though Justin Lin involvement is my biggest worry. He helped in bringing the bar down on the second season of True Detective and is behind those god awful Fast & Furious movies.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    "and Justin Lin Director of Fast and Furious" ughhhhhhhhh

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Needs more lens flare. And bring back Bendidly Cucumberpatch.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Looks awful. Nothing against the Beastie Boys, but their music has no place in a Star Trek film. I understand that the films are usually less cerebral than the show and rely more on action, but this movie looks like total shit. Emo Spock, Stifler/jock Kirk, forced Uhura and Spock romance nonsense, all to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Compare this preview with "The City on the Edge of Forever" and tell me that the new Trek has anything in common with the classic series.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Unsure what to think but Sabotage? Really? When I think of Star trek that does't come to mind...

Meh.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    We get it, JJ. You enjoy the Beastie Boys. You enjoy them very much.

Please stop it.

Also this looks like butt.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I can't understand the hate toward them using "Sabotage" in the trailer. It's a nod to Abrams' first Star Trek movie since the very same song was played in the first movie when Kirk was a kid and stole his dad's car, got chased by police, and drove it off a cliff. The use of the song is just a nod to the first movie, a cheeky nod to Kirk's crazy and out of control style. The song is there to show that Kirk is still reckless and now it seems the Enterprise got f'ed up. He's still that crazy kid. Perhaps Beyond will bring things full circle.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I can't understand the hate toward them using "Sabotage" in the trailer. It's a nod to Abrams' first Star Trek movie since the very same song was played in the first movie when Kirk was a kid and stole his dad's car, got chased by police, and drove it off a cliff. The use of the song is just a nod to the first movie, a cheeky nod to Kirk's crazy and out of control style. The song is there to show that Kirk is still reckless and now it seems the Enterprise got f'ed up. He's still that crazy kid. Perhaps Beyond will bring things full circle.
    The use of the music is inappropriate in any Star Trek movie or show. The filmmakers are trying way too hard to be hip and cool and it's just really hamfisted and lame. It seems unlikely any kid from the 23rd century would be familar with "Sabotage." It would be like kids rocking out "Anything You Can Do" in 2015.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 12-14-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I like Beastie Boys as much as the next guy, but the next guy just shouldn’t be Captain Kirk. Does Captain Kirk even notice it when he gets to the songs in the Beastie Boys library that reference Star Trek? Wouldn’t that be a total mindfuck moment for him?