Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - Series and Films

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Star Trek - Series and Films

Huge Star Trek fan with DS9 being my favorite series. I also really liked TOS, TNG and Voyager. Enterprise was pretty hit-or-miss, IMO. Not a huge fan of the recent films, but at least it's been brought back from the dead.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I'm a Next Generation man, myself. Patrick Stewart was on Letterman last night and he said when people see him re-entering United States Immigration they still say "welcome home, Captain."

Last edited by botley; 02-07-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Die hard Trekkie here. TOS, TNG, DS9, most of Voyager. I've yet to watch a single episode of Enterprise. I resisted the reboot with all my might but resistance is futile and I now love it.

My favorite little bit of trivia for TNG is that during the first season of the show, Captain Picard could sometimes be heard muttering "merde" which, of course, is French for "shit". He never did it again in the rest of the series. I guess someone translated it to the censors at some point.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    So I just watched Into Darkness. I didn't like it as much as the first reboot but still enjoyed it. Being a new fan to the series, I still haven't seen the originals yet. Here is my noob question:

Spoiler: why did they need to use Khan's blood exclusively to revive Kirk? They had 72 other superhumans onboard the ship. Wouldn't their blood be just as good as Khan's?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    So I just watched Into Darkness. I didn't like it as much as the first reboot but still enjoyed it. Being a new fan to the series, I still haven't seen the originals yet. Here is my noob question:

Spoiler: why did they need to use Khan's blood exclusively to revive Kirk? They had 72 other superhumans onboard the ship. Wouldn't their blood be just as good as Khan's?
    Spoiler: Starfleet should start milking those guys' blood and give vials to every officer. They'd be like health power ups in video games.
    I recently watched Nemesis and don't think its that bad. I would actually qualify it as 'good'. Am I a blasphemer, and should I burn myself in penance?
    Last edited by Millionaire; 02-08-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post

That was just a plot hole.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    Starfleet should start milking those guys' blood and give vials to every officer. They'd be like health power ups in video games.

I watched Nemesis recently and don't think its that bad. I would actually describe it as 'good'. Am I a bad Trekkie? Should I convince myself to hate it?
    It didn't take hardly any convincing for me to hate it past thinking to myself, "God, this movie is fucking awful."

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I think Nemesis can be entertaining if you're not much of a purist or as hardcore of a Trek fan.

My favorite Trek series is DS9 followed by TNG.

ENT was ok, VOY I've only seen bits and pieces of... could never get in to it but I'm going to try it from the beginning eventually.

Right now I'm watching TOS when i can.

Seen all the movies and i think my favorite is First Contact.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    My favourite film is the first one, and I know that everyone on earth disagrees with me but yolo

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    TNG and DS9 were my jams. I REALLY disliked Voyager despite numerous attempts at rewatching, and I thought Enterprise had some promise, but it didn't come through...

And Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country are my two favourite ST movies. I love how UC is a political assassination thriller that just happens to be set in space.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The Next Generation
    Deep Space Nine
    Original
    Voyager
    Enterprise

In that order.

Yeah that's right, I spelled them all the way out.

I never really thought the movies were on the level of the shows. They're ok, but Star Trek has always been its best on TV. The movies always go for cheap laughs and action sequences too much. The beauty of the TV shows has always been that they make you feel like they're real people, just in a future space traveling society.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themethatyouknow View Post
    I never really thought the movies were on the level of the shows. They're ok, but Star Trek has always been its best on TV. The movies always go for cheap laughs and action sequences too much. The beauty of the TV shows has always been that they make you feel like they're real people, just in a future space traveling society.
    Are you talking about the Next Gen movies? Because with the exception of Star Trek 5, the original cast movies were great. Even the first one I still enjoy, despite the glacial pace.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    As much as i love the societal commentary in Star Trek and all kinds of studies like that, the things that challenge politics and social status that most people love it for.........I'm all for action in my Star Trek too infact just as much...
    Seeing fleets of starships going to war, moments like what the Dominion brought to DS9 and The Borg with TNG......i think Trek gets to really shine with moments like those, i guess this is why i really enjoy the Abrams movies. I'm a very visual person so i take pleasure in cues from all the kinds of tech aesthetics present in the franchise, things that people seem to jump all over and call childish and not what Star Trek's supposed to be about and blah blah blah...

When i watch shows like this i have less expectations for it to challenge me than i do when i read a book or play a video game, i just like to be entertained and have some fun first and foremost.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 02-09-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    Are you talking about the Next Gen movies? Because with the exception of Star Trek 5, the original cast movies were great. Even the first one I still enjoy, despite the glacial pace.
    Well, I was talking about all the movies, but the Next Generation and Abrams films are freshest in my head. I probably should go back and watch those old ones another time.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themethatyouknow View Post
    Well, I was talking about all the movies, but the Next Generation and Abrams films are freshest in my head. I probably should go back and watch those old ones another time.
    Seriously, so yourself a favour and watch them! ST 2-4 are awesome (and a trilogy!) and 6 is great intrigue and Cold War analogy!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Seriously, so yourself a favour and watch them! ST 2-4 are awesome (and a trilogy!) and 6 is great intrigue and Cold War analogy!
    Yeah, I should rewatch them all. I've been waiting to find the time to watch the whole Original series first. Then Dive into the movies after.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If you like DS9 and/or Cheers, you must watch this:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Was trying to give Enterprise another shot, but it's just so... meh.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yeah--some good episodes, but was a bit of a letdown.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I recently watched Nemesis and don't think its that bad. I would actually qualify it as 'good'. Am I a blasphemer, and should I burn myself in penance?
    Having watched/rewatched 1-10 recently, Nemesis is not as bad as the internets claim it is. Personally, I think Insurrection is way worse. Nemesis fails at most of what it tries, but at least it's trying something. I don't understand what they were thinking with Insurrection. On no level does that story compel. Think about the title, even. What could possibly make the Enterprise rebel against Starfleet? The answer, turns out, would bore you to tears. And not make sense.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    But Picard was all horny for that chick!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Honestly, I think it was a great series. If it wasn't for the theme tune, I think it'd be better received - hell, the Klingon Augment plotline was one of the best arcs of Trek.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Should have been the Enterprise theme for EVERY episode.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Has anyone managed to watch all of TAS without wanting to self harm from how bad it is btw

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Has anyone managed to watch all of TAS
    Not all of it in one go, but I have the DVD box set and dip into certain episodes on occasion. I like the repeated cheesy "DANGER!" music cue they re-used over and over. As a Saturday morning cartoon, it's not that bad.

Anyway, I'm really bumping this thread because William Shatner is making headlines for confirming that J.J. Abrams asked if he'd like to appear in the next Star Trek movie.

I wrote this in response.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Star Trek 3 has started production around the Vancouver area.

Word also is that Quinto and Pine have already signed on for a 4th movie.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I hope they have a scene with Spock losing his Vulcan cool because of the idiots trying to cram onto the bus at Oakridge... Also, they should have had the balls to leave Kirk dead at the end of Into Darkness. It's a new timeline, it would have been fine, but OH NOOOO, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not a huge fan of the new films, but at least they are keeping the franchise afloat.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'll leave this here...

I still need season 6 and 7 of TNG.