Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Woody Allen film discussion

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Woody Allen film discussion

Talk about his personal life should go here, so this thread is about his films.

Woody Allen might be my favorite director. I think that all of his films are good. Even his lesser movies like Anything Else are fun and watchable.

I just saw Cafe Society tonight and it was great, wonderfully written and cast. I saw Another Woman a few weeks ago and that was one of my favorites--very Bergman-esque. Wonder Wheel was great--loved the setting on Coney Island, Justin Timberlake and Kate Winslet were superb.

Some of his movies I haven't seen in years, so I'm going over all of them again, about one a week.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I love so many of his more modern films, despite what a creep the dude is. Match Point is a major highlight. ScarJo is at peak sexiness in that one too. Vicky Cristy Barcelona was excellent and gorgeously shot on location, like most of his newer movies were. I saw pretty much every movie he's put out since then except for these last two. I liked each one. I enjoy how most of this newer stuff from him is simple light fare, and serves as a nice contrast to most other stuff that appeals to me in film.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I love so many of his more modern films, despite what a creep the dude is. Match Point is a major highlight. ScarJo is at peak sexiness in that one too. Vicky Cristy Barcelona was excellent and gorgeously shot on location, like most of his newer movies were. I saw pretty much every movie he's put out since then except for these last two. I liked each one. I enjoy how most of this newer stuff from him is simple light fare, and serves as a nice contrast to most other stuff that appeals to me in film.
    I need to watch Vicky Cristina Barcelona and An Irrational Man--never saw either. Also, I know his most recent film, Rifkin's Festival, was released last year, but I don't see any release, via Amazon or Netflix.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I'm that weird guy who just doesn't get his sense of humor. The off-putting nature of his movies has nothing to do with his personal life for me, but maybe like so many other things it'll just click with me at some point. I honestly haven't seen enough. I've seen Deconstructing Harry, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Love & Death, and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex. People say I need to see Annie Hall

If there's a better recommendation?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm that weird guy who just doesn't get his sense of humor. The off-putting nature of his movies has nothing to do with his personal life for me, but maybe like so many other things it'll just click with me at some point. I honestly haven't seen enough. I've seen Deconstructing Harry, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Love & Death, and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex. People say I need to see Annie Hall

I'm kinda in your boat but I remember Sleeper being pretty funny. Been ages since I've watched it, though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

For his "serious" movies, I'd check out Another Woman and Match Point, two of his best films. For his comedies, Love & Death, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask), and Sleeper are classics. I also really liked Melinda and Melinda, which was an interesting movie--two narratives of the same story, one a drama and the other a comedy.

Need to see Annie Hall again.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 02-08-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I LOVE “Annie Hall,” I’ve seen it NUMEROUS times and love it more every time. My absolute favorite. I have just as many lines from “Annie Hall” in my head as I do from “The Godfather.”

There’s a spider in your bathroom the size of a Buick.

I also really LOVE “Midnight in Paris,” I could watch that forever and never tire of it.

I love “Love and Death” a LOT.

I prefer the Allen / Keaton films, obviously.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-09-2021 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Match Point is fantastic imo.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Match Point is fantastic imo.
    Great film. I also really liked Cassandra's Dream. The film (along with Crimes and Misdemeanors) had similar themes--how murder would weigh on one's conscience, but the reviews were kind of harsh. I feel that film critics tend to be grade Allen's films harshly, or are harder on him than other filmmakers.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw recently:

Annie Hall
    A Irational Man
    Small Time Crooks
    The Sweet and Lowdown
    Hannah and Her Sisters
    Alice

All great films. I think Alice might be one of my favorites. I forgot how good it was.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    My favorites:

"Bananas"
    "Take the Money and Run"
    "Hannah and her sisters"
    "Annie Hall"
    "Everything you wanted to know..."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just saw Coup de chance--outstanding movie. It's kind of like Manhattan Murder Mystery meets Match Point.