Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - Series and Films

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    @GulDukat Have you watched the latest Disco episode yet?

Spoiler: any idea on what the significance of the mark is on the back of buddy's neck?
    No idea, but it's obviously important. This is the best season of Discovery, imho. Hoping that Wiseman comes back as a regular cast member and they don't try some Starfleet Academy spin-off.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @GulDukat Have you watched the latest Disco episode yet?

Spoiler: any idea on what the significance of the mark is on the back of buddy's neck?
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    No idea, but it's obviously important. This is the best season of Discovery, imho. Hoping that Wiseman comes back as a regular cast member and they don't try some Starfleet Academy spin-off.
    Theory I've read somewhere: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspi...xt_Generation)

But it reminded me of X-Men 2.

Also: give me back my Tilly!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Species Ten C

Urgh..... i just want to find out what or who the heck they're supposed to be already!

Have to wait until February 10th for the rest of Discovery.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Species Ten C

Urgh..... i just want to find out what or who the heck they're supposed to be already!

Have to wait until February 10th for the rest of Discovery.
    I think for season 5 they need to go with something other than "This giant (anomaly/void/alien) is going to destroy the universe." Still, I am enjoying this season. I think it's odd how they are waiting six weeks to finish the season, and in the meantime are going to show the rest of Prodigy.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Strange New Worlds coming May 5th with 10 episodes, already renewed for Season 2.

Picard Season 2 March 3rd, 2022

Discovery officially renewed for Season 5.

Lower Decks Season 3 this summer with a season 4 renewal

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Picard will conclude with season 3.

I don't think that this is a bad thing. They can tell the stories that that want to tell over a three ten episode arcs and have it conclude.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Yeah, considering Patrick Stewart is in his 80s now, i wouldn't have expected the series to go on too long.

I wonder how many more familiar faces we might see before the series wraps? I know Q and Guinan are coming.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yeah, considering Patrick Stewart is in his 80s now, i wouldn't have expected the series to go on too long.

I wonder how many more familiar faces we might see before the series wraps? I know Q and Guinan are coming.
    I think I mentioned this in another post, but one thing that I really liked about Picard is that the show was mapped-out from the start. Season 1 of Picard told a coherent story with a satisfying conclusion. If season 2 and 3 are as good, I will be very happy with the series. That was a major problem with seasons 1-2 of Discovery (especially season 2). The writing was all over the place, the stories were half-baked and went nowhere or were abandoned all together. The political intrigue of the Klingon Empire was especially bad and the Red Angel/Control arc was underdeveloped and confusing. The Michael/Spock/Sarek/Amanda family relationship was particularly forced. Season 2 of Discovery really was nu-Trek at its worst, despite the excellent production values and cast. Season 3 of Discovery was a much needed course correction and soft-reboot. Season 4, despite yet another story about the universe being threatened by an unknown enemy, has been very compelling. Discovery works so much better set after the events of TNG/DS9/Voy.

I would rank Nu-Trek:

Picard (season 1)
    Discovery (season 4)
    Discovery (season 3)
    Prodigy (season 1)
    Discovery (season 1)
    Lower Decks (season 2)
    Lower Decks (season 1)
    Discovery (season 2)

Super excited about Strange New Worlds! I am glad that this series is not supposed to be serialized. While I think that format has worked (especially with Picard), it doesn't work well for repeat viewings.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 02-02-2022 at 08:20 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Last Thursday was pretty awesome. There were two new Trek shows that streamed at the same time, the new Discovery and debut of Picard season 2. Reminds me of the days when we had TNG/DS9 and DS9/Voy.

Discovery has been consistently good this season. I think that they need a new storyline for season 5 (one that doesn't involve an unknown alien about to end all life/cause mass destruction), but the story has been compelling. I love Book, a great addition to the cast, and I also like the Federation president Laira Rillak, Ruon Tarka and Kovich. I think having some older, more mature characters has really improved the quality of the show. I grew to like Tilly, but she is annoying and childish, and I hated the Ash/Michael forced romance. I'm glad Tilly and Ash are gone.

Picard started off on a slow-burn, but damn. This season is shaping up to be awesome.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I'm still giggling about the 3 hour tour line.

And Picard made the Borg uber creepy again. Awesome!

Q: how I've missed you.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I'm still giggling about the 3 hour tour line.

And Picard made the Borg uber creepy again. Awesome!

Q: how I've missed you.
    The ending was very well done.

Spoiler: The Borg that enter the bridge is super creepy. The way the destruction of the Stargazer, alt. timeline, a young Q/older Q is awesome.

"Q, Damn You!"

That was great.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Glad to see Spoiler: Gul Dukat make a comeback on Star Trek, even Spoiler: if it's just his skull.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Spoiler you may have missed in the second Picard episode : https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-tr...y-to-season-2/

I know I missed it and I can't understand how.

Also: Discovery is getting a bit... meh. It needs a lot more Jett Reno. A whole lot more.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Spoiler you may have missed in the second Picard episode : https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-tr...y-to-season-2/

I know I missed it and I can't understand how.

Also: Discovery is getting a bit... meh. It needs a lot more Jett Reno. A whole lot more.
    I have found her to be kind of snarky and underused, but I really like her this season. The writers have found a better way to include the character.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Outside of the films, my TNG watch is over. Onto DS9! TOS, Animated, and Next Gen is a pretty good dent.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    As we get further into DS9, the general quality of the stories and the acting (with some notable *coughs* Bashir *coughs* exceptions) is much better than TNG.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I enjoyed season 4 of Discovery, but I have to agree with some of the criticisms from this article.

...identical template to last season...

​Yup.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    As we get further into DS9, the general quality of the stories and the acting (with some notable *coughs* Bashir *coughs* exceptions) is much better than TNG.
    DS9 has aged better in almost every way. DS9 gave its ensemble cast a more centered world to occupy compared to the somewhat sterile feel of TNG. It’s serialized long-form space opera storytelling helped to give the world and characters a chance for far better development compared to TNG’s individual one-and-done episodic approach. But TNG was the right series in the right place at the right time. To this day TNG feels like the “true Star Trek experience” to me, even if DS9 is clearly the better show in general.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I haven't watched any of the new shows except the first season of Discovery. Have Klingons appeared in Picard yet? Wondering how they could incorporate Worf if they are using the Klingon designs from Discovery, or does Picard use the old, TNG-style Klingons?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I haven't watched any of the new shows except the first season of Discovery. Have Klingons appeared in Picard yet? Wondering how they could incorporate Worf if they are using the Klingon designs from Discovery, or does Picard use the old, TNG-style Klingons?
    No Klingons yet. They weren't in seasons 3-4 of Discovery either.

Wonder how they will look in Strange New Worlds.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Have Klingons appeared in Picard yet? Wondering how they could incorporate Worf if they are using the Klingon designs from Discovery, or does Picard use the old, TNG-style Klingons?
    It’s been a long while since I’ve watched it, but in season 1 of Picard I believe there is a moment where Picard (or someone) looks at a still of the TNG crew. I paused that moment to specifically get a good look at Warf, he didn’t look altered or retconned in any way to resemble a space orc. He looked exactly like the Klingon you remember. Is that a definitive tell? I don’t know. But it was there none the less.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    When we see Worf again I really don't think that they will go for the Discovery redesign.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    When we see Worf again I really don't think that they will go for the Discovery redesign.
    I don't think so either, that would be silly. But I wasn't sure if there have been other​ Klingons in the show yet which would cause some continuity issues.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Strange New Worlds intro:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Review of Strange New Worlds:

So that's what Paramount did. And, in returning to a familiar ship, familiar characters (Pike, Spock, Number One, Khan, Uhura, Dr. M'Benga, Nurse Chapel), and Trek's classical and well-worn hour-long episodic format, the franchise has finally reached a point where it is ... however unbelievable it might be ... legitimately good once again. No qualifications are needed any longer. "Strange New Worlds" is, quite simply, the best "Star Trek" show in decades.